Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Pfffft, BFD!

And 10,000 Kalifornia liberals will come to Nevada to take those jobs!
Saw it with the Starbucks in Gardnerville, few of the jobs will go to anyone living here now.
Washoe will go even more liberal than it already is, this IS Tesla, the Uber-Green Eco-Nut dream company.

Yah, I would rather they go someplace else to suck up their subsidies.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
This only breaks the ground for more companies who are looking for ways out of their tax happy states and move to Nevada; be it Reno or Las Vegas. IOW, a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This only breaks the ground for more companies who are looking for ways out of their tax happy states and move to Nevada; be it Reno or Las Vegas. IOW, a good thing.
View Quote

Agreed,  sir.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#4]
$25,000 to $40,000 for the Special Session required to seal the deal.
That session is required to approve the winning bribe, er "Subsidies" the rest of us will have to pay for.
If the "Margin Tax" (by whatever name they are hiding it behind this week) passes the Tesla deal will die so quick it will cause a sonic boom!

Don't look for any tax relief out of this, I'm sure the legislators and governor are already planning ways to overspend it all in order to buy their next round of votes from the FSA
Teachers union alone will demand ALL of it for themselves.

Yah, I'm sick of the rigged game.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pfffft, BFD!

Saw it with the Starbucks in Gardnerville, few of the jobs will go to anyone living here now.
Washoe will go even more liberal than it already is, this IS Tesla, the Uber-Green Eco-Nut dream company.

View Quote

Probably more likely the employees who work at distribution centers close to there already and think a warehouse with a different name is different.  Bring the Californians who gamble if you're bringing them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like Nevada REALLY wanted it...

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2014/09/04/nevada-strikes-billion-tax-break-deal-tesla/15096777/

The overall value to Tesla is estimated to be $1.25 billion over 20 years — a figure that is more than double the $500 million package CEO Elon Musk said would be required to draw the company.

56% ($725M): 20-year 100% sales tax abatement
26% ($332M): 10-year 100% property tax abatement
9% ($120M): Transferable tax credits
6% ($75M): $12,500 per job transferable tax credits (6,000 jobs)
2% ($27M): 10-year 100% modified business tax abatement
1% ($8M): Discounted electricity rates for eight years

If the deal is approved by the Nevada Legislature, Tesla will operate in the state essentially tax free for 10 years.

In exchange, the company must invest a minimum of $3.5 billion in manufacturing equipment and real property in the state—a threshold that is much lower than the $10 billion state officials expect the company to invest in Nevada over the next two decades.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Plus, more electric vehicles on the road means it's that much easier to tell the Middle East to pound its oil up its ass.  
Everybody wins.  ;)

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pfffft, BFD!

View Quote

I could not agree more. I'm in Fernley and all it's going to bring is more lowlife trash and crime to this town. This town has gone downhill enough, It doesn't need any more liberal help
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I could not agree more. I'm in Fernley and all it's going to bring is more lowlife trash and crime to this town. This town has gone downhill enough, It doesn't need any more liberal help
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfffft, BFD!

But just think:  When all those new families move into the area, you both can get more practice yelling at those darn kids to get off your lawn.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:55:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Plus, more electric vehicles on the road means it's that much easier to tell the Middle East to pound its oil up its ass.  
Everybody wins.  ;)

Best,
JBR
View Quote

You DO know that "Electric Cars" actually run on Coal, right?
And that Obey-me has made the destruction of American coal production a high priority of his administration?
That Dingy Harry is also acting to destroy coal in Nevada and across America?
If electric cars have to be charged from "Renewable" (Mythical) energy or Natural Gas the true cost of charging them gets shifted to those NOT driving them via THOSE subsidies.
Real natural gas prices will rise steeply, and in the end NOTHING will be saved either financially or environmentally.

I expect the whole EV fad to crash fairly quickly unless Gov. Org. starts forcing people to buy them in some way.
Probably just with "Tax Incentives" of the sort that now are being PHASED OUT even in Kalifornia.
Then more directly via mandate, forced closing of petrol fuel stations, conversion to EV charging only, etc.
Freedom?
Eco-Nut's don't believe in freedom for anyone but themselves, they feel they are superior, they "Know" what is best for us, just like the gun banners.
F'em all, I will keep my gas guzzlers  and my guns!

My only fear is what the economic damage will be like when Tesla fades and the politicians have already spent the money that will no longer be coming in from them.
Hello high state income tax, at the least.
If this Tesla thing does not work out as the wet-dream the politicians are painting it as we are going to be SO screwed!
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 4:48:09 AM EDT
[#12]
half full
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But just think:  When all those new families move into the area, you both can get more practice yelling at those darn kids to get off your lawn.

Best,
JBR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfffft, BFD!

Best,
JBR

What lawn? We have almost the highest water rate in the nation, Thanks to our bumbling city officials. $70.00 month before you use a drop. then it goes up PER GALLON.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't give a damn about coal-powered or renewable sources of power, as long as there's power.  
I'd rather power in the electric cars of the future be sourced from nuclear (thorium, not uranium), but short-sighted folks would bitch about that, as well.  
Keep holding on tight to your gas and diesel.  The sheiks and mullahs thank you for it.

I like Fernley.  I go through there about five or six times a year.  
I know Fernley has that Amazon distribution center, and a big Enco warehouse, not to mention that new Lowes.  
Are they blights on the local economy, or advantages?

The USA Parkway, where this Gigafactory is slated to go, is filling in nicely.  
Industry, not just Tesla, wants to move to Nevada, out of California.  The USA Parkway area is next to a power plant, is a good logistics point for numerous markets, and is in an area with a good skill set, which the Reno/Sparks area offers.  
Do you want businesses in there at all, or should it remain fallow so there aren't long lines at the Starbucks?

Down here in Pahrump, we have a disgruntled mob of folks that look for the worst in everything, called "CAVE," or "Citizens Against Virtually Everything."
They've managed to harass, ostracize, or nitpick every new business that tries to open here, thus, ensuring that the local economy is solidly based only on retiree incomes, social security disability, meth dealing, and Wal-Mart employees.

They don't care about boosting the local economy or industrial base, because they're already retired, or they're dirt millionaires from the real estate bubble, and can sit around all day and make life miserable for others.

I'm normally a pessimist, but I have to agree with F2:

"Half Full."

Give it a chance.  If I'm wrong, I'll bake you a cake.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#15]
You can give someone a free ice cream cone and they'll bitch for 2 hours that it wasn't chocolate.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#16]
We have more oil in the U.S. than the Saudis, Iraq and the rest of crapistan combined.
But the eco-nuts do everything they can to prevent our utilizing it, notice the unending attacks on Fracking?.
We have abundant and cheap coal, if this administration would cease using the EPA to prevent our using it.
It's not me the Sheiks thank, it's the Sierra Clubs types who I suspect they actually fund.

I have no power whatsoever to either help or hinder Tesla, they will thrive or fail without my participation.
I fear that I will want my cake from you within 3 - 5 years.
Would love to be proven wrong, but a collapse at ten years does not mean I was wrong, only off in my time-line.
I'm really annoyed at  this overenthusiastic "We have found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" sort of glee.
You can be sure the legislature has already thrown out ANY caution and are making their plans to spend 120% of all expected revenue.
The last time I saw this sort of careless optimism was just before the economy crashed, when everyone and his brother was "Flipping" houses to folk who could not really afford them.

Time will tell.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We have more oil in the U.S. than the Saudis, Iraq and the rest of crapistan combined.
But the eco-nuts do everything they can to prevent our utilizing it, notice the unending attacks on Fracking?.
We have abundant and cheap coal, if this administration would cease using the EPA to prevent our using it.
It's not me the Sheiks thank, it's the Sierra Clubs types who I suspect they actually fund.

I have no power whatsoever to either help or hinder Tesla, they will thrive or fail without my participation.
I fear that I will want my cake from you within 3 - 5 years.
Would love to be proven wrong, but a collapse at ten years does not mean I was wrong, only off in my time-line.
I'm really annoyed at  this overenthusiastic "We have found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" sort of glee.
You can be sure the legislature has already thrown out ANY caution and are making their plans to spend 120% of all expected revenue.
The last time I saw this sort of careless optimism was just before the economy crashed, when everyone and his brother was "Flipping" houses to folk who could not really afford them.

Time will tell.
View Quote

Correct.  One way, or another, we'll find out.

Just so I can cover my bases, though, please let me know your preferred flavor of cake.  
I'll even do one of those clustered-together cupcake hodgepodges.
Also, frosting options.  
I'm a buttercream man, myself.  ;)

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Look, the long and skinny of it is this state needs to diversify. Ranches, silver, and gaming don't cut it any more. If not Tesla then who? We are competing with states like Texas for god sake. I'm not a fan of shifting further left, but without new business, we're screwed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Look, the long and skinny of it is this state needs to diversify. Ranches, silver, and gaming don't cut it any more. If not Tesla then who? We are competing with states like Texas for god sake. I'm not a fan of shifting further left, but without new business, we're screwed.
View Quote

Yah, that's what happens when the Fed. Gov. denies access and full use of 87% of our states natural resources.
If the State of Nevada had full control of our lands we could easily be as wealthy as Texas, based on mining, ranching, agriculture, gaming, and tourism.
Manufacture and warehousing would be gravy on top, add oil production and the only folk unemployed would be the hard core lazy ones.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yah, that's what happens when the Fed. Gov. denies access and full use of 87% of our states natural resources.
If the State of Nevada had full control of our lands we could easily be as wealthy as Texas, based on mining, ranching, agriculture, gaming, and tourism.
Manufacture and warehousing would be gravy on top, add oil production and the only folk unemployed would be the hard core lazy ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if I had wheels I'd be a wagon.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mining doesn't work when the State wants to tax them so much they stop hiring or cut pay.
Tourism and gaming don't work when the president says don't visit Nevada and gamble, be responsible.
The University of Nevada Reno had a supply chain management program (PERFECT for all the warehouse jobs here/Storey County) and cut the program for lack of enrollment. Apparently the State doesn't even advertise an educational program that will probably guarantee jobs to the youth of the State.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#22]
When "Government" gets too involved in "Governing" rather than letting the free market work, we all lose.
Gov. needs to butt-out and let the free market work.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
half full
View Quote

Yep........ I like that f2
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Only 1.25 BILLION of state bribe, er "Stimulus"  funds at risk.
I knew this "Too good to be true" irrationally rosy view seemed familiar.
Let's hope it's not the same sort of failure I initially smelled, a whiff of Solyndra!

So many similarities, "Saving the planet", Kalifornia based greenie non-sense, public funds, "Political Correctness" making any criticism a thought crime, etc.

It looks like the shell game may have begun, companies already here do not get the breaks Tesla will.
The opposite in fact, they face the prospect of the margin tax, "Temporary  taxes" made permanent, a lowered threshold for the BAT tax, and increased taxes on targeted industries.
I wonder how many will move to another state to get Tesla style tax breaks there?
Let the interstate tax break (But only for New companies moving in, screw anyone already there) bidding wars begin!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Let's hope it's not the same sort of failure I initially smelled, a whiff of Solyndra!

So many similarities, "Saving the planet", Kalifornia based greenie non-sense, public funds, "Political Correctness" making any criticism a thought crime, etc.

It looks like the shell game may have begun, companies already here do not get the breaks Tesla will.

The opposite in fact, they face the prospect of the margin tax, "Temporary  taxes" made permanent, a lowered threshold for the BAT tax, and increased taxes on targeted industries.

I wonder how many will move to another state to get Tesla style tax breaks there?

Let the interstate tax break (But only for New companies moving in, screw anyone already there) bidding wars begin!
View Quote

It already had begun, and we won for now. Look, you've got the wrong idea about this. This is just a step into actually showing the rest of the States we are serious about attracting business. Companies want out of tax heavy States. If we can attract enough of them to here, then we can raise the quality of life around these parts. If Justin and Tick hadn't buttfucked us during the last cycle and the panic moves by some of the bigger companies had come here I'd doubt you would be so against the likes of Colt and Magpul calling USA Parkway home.

This will show California we aren't the State that says fuck it we really don't need it since we do well ourselves. We got fucked HARD during the recession, and Casino's are going down so fast the only thing that will bring the people over the border soon enough is to watch the public demolition of them. If we can secure this, and get some National traction towards becoming the national repository for nuclear, biological and hazardous chemical wastes instilling a fund like the Alaskan Permanent Fund (unlike how they already do it now and don't give us shit for it) we can set this State up for some serious development that will make sure our children will grow up to love and adore and be able to make a living here like we do

You say "free market" do it's thing, except you're missing the point that none of us are playing by these rules. Some pretty smart people play a global shell game and sometimes we make the right guess. This is one of those times. We're going to have to fight super hard to keep our traditions, educate others and keep our politicians from butt fucking us but in the end instead of graveyards overan by tumbleweeds to speak the testament of our labors here, we get some manicured lawns and respect that we laid the foundation for our kids. Fuck yeh bros.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It already had begun, and we won for now. Look, you've got the wrong idea about this. This is just a step into actually showing the rest of the States we are serious about attracting business. Companies want out of tax heavy States. If we can attract enough of them to here, then we can raise the quality of life around these parts. If Justin and Tick hadn't buttfucked us during the last cycle and the panic moves by some of the bigger companies had come here I'd doubt you would be so against the likes of Colt and Magpul calling USA Parkway home.

This will show California we aren't the State that says fuck it we really don't need it since we do well ourselves. We got fucked HARD during the recession, and Casino's are going down so fast the only thing that will bring the people over the border soon enough is to watch the public demolition of them. If we can secure this, and get some National traction towards becoming the national repository for nuclear, biological and hazardous chemical wastes instilling a fund like the Alaskan Permanent Fund (unlike how they already do it now and don't give us shit for it) we can set this State up for some serious development that will make sure our children will grow up to love and adore and be able to make a living here like we do

You say "free market" do it's thing, except you're missing the point that none of us are playing by these rules. Some pretty smart people play a global shell game and sometimes we make the right guess. This is one of those times. We're going to have to fight super hard to keep our traditions, educate others and keep our politicians from butt fucking us but in the end instead of graveyards overan by tumbleweeds to speak the testament of our labors here, we get some manicured lawns and respect that we laid the foundation for our kids. Fuck yeh bros.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parody?

Nevada is not low tax, the legislature continues to increase taxes every session, overtly and hidden.
All those "User Fee's" are actually taxes by another name.

Since I got here in '89 we now have the BAT tax, state business license tax, the whopper increase in electric rates now beginning to be apparent (Thank Harry Reid and his Tribal henchmen for making coal unusable here), increasing property taxes, the possible/likely Margin Tax, and the attempt to set aside the state constitution in order to increase taxes on mining.

I'm sure I missed several.

With the Fed. claiming ownership of 87%+ of Nevada land there are too few area's TO grow or diversify the economy.
Jim Gibbons once made a modest proposal that maybe allowing exhausted mining area's to be "Patented" for private development might be a good idea as it would provide a modest increase in the state tax base while getting the land cleaned up at no cost to the state or Fed.
He was virtually crucified for it.
Guess it makes more sense to leave them as "Superfund" cleanup sites.

If Tesla succeeds a few counties will be the main beneficiaries, but if they fail the whole state will take a major hit as our state Gov. scrambles to cover the new revenue shortfall.
You KNOW the state Gov. is going to overspend the "Projected Revenue" in order to buy votes!
Look at where our state budget is right now if you dare, it's not a pretty picture.
The Tesla deal will not even begin to benefit anyone but a few construction workers until YEARS from now.

Oh, and please define "Raise the quality of life" for us.
I liked it better here before we got stuck with "Medical Marijuana", "Wilderness" area's, and so damn many other excuses to "Close" and "Set-Aside" allegedly public lands.
if the Sage Grouse is listed as endangered by the Fed our current economy goes into the toilet as mining, ranching and rural tourism will decimated.

Finally, WHY IN THE HELL does anyone still think that accepting the Yucca Mountain nuke dump would get us ANYTHING beyond the short term construction wages?
That land is part of the 87%+ of Nevada the Fed claim to already own, they would NEVER pay a cent to use any land they claim to already own!
We always have a difficult time collecting the annual PILT funds, and the Fed. always cheat us on them to boot, despite their being a long established program.

As it stands the Fed has never paid Nevada  a cent for all those military bases they set up, as required by the constitution, not even the ones they admit to having here.

The only way Yucca or any other toxic site might make sense would be for Nevada to regain sovereignty and full control over ALL of our public lands first.
Only then can Nevada enforce any sort of "fee" (Tax) for use of the land.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Your also not looking at the money from the construction that will be pouring back into the economy. The only problem Nevada will have with this is that they will have to call outside the state to man the work.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#28]
The construction work is only TEMPORARY, then the workers go back on unemployment!
Every large project seems to go to out of state companies who provide little local employment.
Don't forget that at least 20% of the workers will also be illegals, more if Dingy Reid has anything to do with it.

The whole construction job will cost double to triple if the unions are involved, and with a project this large the unions are probably unavoidable.
So much for Nevada being a "Right to work" state.
Just one more example of how the alleged benefits to NEVADA are being overstated.

Everyone who thinks this is so great put up some money, buy stock in the Lithium mines, or Tesla.

I already wrote my short letter to my senator and assemblyman expressing my concerns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:I know Fernley has that Amazon distribution center
View Quote

Nope. Well, at the moment they do.

The new Amazon warehouse in Reno is quickly going up. Operational by February, if I rememeber correctly. Fernley location is getting closed down.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The new Amazon warehouse in Reno is quickly going up. Operational by February, if I rememeber correctly. Fernley location is getting closed down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I know Fernley has that Amazon distribution center

Yikes.

750,000 square feet optimized for distribution won't idle long, I hope.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Richard did you complain about the tax cuts that Cabelas got also.

There will be outside contractors because one contractor will not be able to do that job and as far as the Unions go they will do a better job than some guy thats going to hire fifty illegals to pay sub wages to them and pocket the rest.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There will be outside contractors because one contractor will not be able to do that job and as far as the Unions go they will do a better job than some guy thats going to hire fifty illegals to pay sub wages to them and pocket the rest.
View Quote

Yes, but we are talking a whole new scale of bribe, um, kickback, ah I mean "incentive" here!
Not happy with the special treatment Wal-Mart got in my county either.

Hiring illegals is, ILLEGAL, but no effort is made to enforce that.
And if you think the unions do not welcome illegals I have a couple of bridges and the salvage rights to the Eiffel Tower to sell you!

It's not so much the blatant mutual buying-off of our politicians and their company execs as the unequal treatment of other potential business and business already here.
Tesla will get to run tax-free for ten years, and minimal tax for another ten.
Ask YOUR boss what the company YOU work for could do to grow with that sort of special treatment!

Please take the time to really think about this deal and the side effects it will have on our state.
Do not just drink the cool-aid it's backers are serving.

Tesla has not even put up the building yet and they are already "Too big to fail"!

The building will take years to complete, there are plenty of genuinely skilled construction guys around Nevada without having to kiss out of state union ass.
How many of those liberal union loyalist will vote in our NN 2016 election, midway through construction?
Will the polls be set up on-site as they are in Vegas casinos, so that the union bosses can ensure their members all vote "the right way"?
How will that skew the 2017 legislature?
We don't need more imported liberals in NN, the university in Reno already indoctrinates lots of them!
Tesla is a liberal company from Commie-fornia, their product depends on liberal fear mongering to create a market for it.
Our LV libs have been enough of a PITA each legislative year.
I fear Tesla and the unions will ruin the Nevada I have enjoyed for decades even faster than Justin Jones is trying to do.

Accuse me of whining or claiming the sky is falling if you like, won't bother me a bit.
But if I'm right I will remind folk that I was skeptical of this deal being so wonderful with no downside.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#33]
There are four local construction companies doing the first few phases of construction. A&K is one of them. You might not consider Granite local but they hire local employees with local values.

I think part of Tesla's business model cuts out the middle man (car dealers) and provides the consume the product directly which reduces cost.  This helps the consumer.

If the building takes years,which I highly doubt, to construct then its that many more  local employers who benefit from having their crews hired longer, stores benefit from increased revenue from a lower unemployment rate, and Nevada gets more tax money.  With more people working we can then be one of those liberals screaming for this same amount of money to go towards school programs that are continually last and can't figure out what a budget is.

How many of those local Nevadans wil vote differently if they're working?
Quoted:

Yes, but we are talking a whole new scale of bribe, um, kickback, ah I mean "incentive" here!

And if you think the unions do not welcome illegals I have a couple of bridges and the salvage rights to the Eiffel Tower to sell you!

It's not so much the blatant mutual buying-off of our politicians and their company execs as the unequal treatment of other potential business and business already here.
Ask YOUR boss what the company YOU work for could do to grow with that sort of special treatment!

Please take the time to really think about this deal and the side effects it will have on our state.

Tesla has not even put up the building yet and they are already "Too big to fail"!

The building will take years to complete, there are plenty of genuinely skilled construction guys around Nevada without having to kiss out of state union ass.
How many of those liberal union loyalist will vote in our NN 2016 election, midway through construction?
Will the polls be set up on-site as they are in Vegas casinos, so that the union bosses can ensure their members all vote "the right way"?
We don't need more imported liberals in NN, the university in Reno already indoctrinates lots of them!
Tesla is a liberal company from Commie-fornia, their product depends on liberal fear mongering to create a market for it.
I fear Tesla and the unions will ruin the Nevada I have enjoyed for decades even faster than Justin Jones is trying to do.

Accuse me of whining or claiming the sky is falling if you like, won't bother me a bit.
But if I'm right I will remind folk that I was skeptical of this deal being so wonderful with no downside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Local media is saying three years for construction, it's a VERY BIG building and lots of equipment to be installed.

I've seen these big companies move in before.
And as before, in the end few Nevadans who are HERE NOW will end up with those jobs even if they are of the prime age and have what should be the right experience.
We WILL see growth in population as more (Mostly CA) people move in to grab those very well publicized "High paying jobs".
I've been told NN real estate values jumped 10% when the deal was confirmed but I have not verified that.

How is Tesla for for training from within?
I have no idea but fully expect them to try to "Brain-Drain" already fully trained workers from Silly-Con valley, CA.

UNR is talking about creating classes for Tesla workers, I guess they have three years to graduate them.
But the first and primary batch of employees are about guaranteed to be imported from CA.

I would like to see LOCAL folk doing the construction and NO "Prevailing Wage" crap.
I also want to see ICE and Nevada making sure the jobs go to U.S. CITIZENS, even if they are carpetbaggers from another state.

I have no doubt there are going to be significant downsides to this deal, just hoping they are not too severe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Local media is saying three years for construction, it's a VERY BIG building and lots of equipment to be installed.

I've seen these big companies move in before.
And as before, in the end few Nevadans who are HERE NOW will end up with those jobs even if they are of the prime age and have what should be the right experience.
We WILL see growth in population as more (Mostly CA) people move in to grab those very well publicized "High paying jobs".
I've been told NN real estate values jumped 10% when the deal was confirmed but I have not verified that.

How is Tesla for for training from within?
I have no idea but fully expect them to try to "Brain-Drain" already fully trained workers from Silly-Con valley, CA.

UNR is talking about creating classes for Tesla workers, I guess they have three years to graduate them.
But the first and primary batch of employees are about guaranteed to be imported from CA.

I would like to see LOCAL folk doing the construction and NO "Prevailing Wage" crap.
I also want to see ICE and Nevada making sure the jobs go to U.S. CITIZENS, even if they are carpetbaggers from another state.

I have no doubt there are going to be significant downsides to this deal, just hoping they are not too severe.
View Quote

Maybe Nevada needs to get some qualified work. Nevada had supply chain management and canceled the program because of a lack in enrollment. Supply chain management is everything warehouse related. How is Nevada going to compete with people willing to love from out of State and take lower pay? How would any business not hire the most educated person willing to accept he lowest pay?  I would like to see local people working there and not complain about driving 20 minutes to get to work but it probably won't happen. I drive to Carson and consider that a 30 minute drive and people in Reno AND Varson think its absurd to drive more than 15 minutes to get to work most of the time. Yeah you'll see people looking to escape an overpriced living situation and move to a place where they can afford to buy a house.  They might even come from Utah and bring Mormanism with them. Maybe Mass-ah-two-shits people will relocate here and bring their agenda. They make California look like a red State. I would like to see people who care about what they are doing do the work so it is done right the first time. I don't want to see people with the same mindset as those who designed roads in northern Nevada build a 6,500 employee complex.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:09:46 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm not the only one who realizes that emperor Tesla has no clothes!
Try this link for a dose of truth regarding their business model and actual profitability.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/economic-intelligence/2013/06/03/teslas-success-is-the-result-of-political-favoritism

No wonder Nevada had to buy their way into the deal, that's how Tesla operates.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There are four local construction companies doing the first few phases of construction. A&K is one of them. You might not consider Granite local but they hire local employees with local values.
View Quote

Any idea who the other contractors are? I've been looking for a few days to find out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#39]
granite, a&k, i THINK SNC and one other is what i was told. It isn't hard to think those three names are probably the biggest around Washoe and I'd be surprised if Granite let it get past them.  They're big on "we built ___" and Tesla is a big deal.

Anyone else notice how the special session changed the NRS to allow a manufacturer of an electric car to sell direct to the consumers?  New Jersey and Georgia gave them problems on this recently.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#40]
There is a pending amendment to make that a VERY short window.
An EC Co. has to move here before January, so pretty much makes Tesla the only one it would apply to.
From my perspective it should not even apply to Tesla since they will NOT be making electric cars here, just the batteries.
But nowadays words don't mean what they state, they mean what the legislature twist them to mean.
All depends on "what the definition of "Is" is".
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
granite, a&k, i THINK SNC and one other is what i was told. It isn't hard to think those three names are probably the biggest around Washoe and I'd be surprised if Granite let it get past them.  They're big on "we built ___" and Tesla is a big deal.

Anyone else notice how the special session changed the NRS to allow a manufacturer of an electric car to sell direct to the consumers?  New Jersey and Georgia gave them problems on this recently.
View Quote

Thank you.

I'm suprised Q&D isn't involved. Regardless of who all is involved, these construction companies are going to need things from me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:34:43 AM EDT
[#42]
For better or worse the deal is done.

Tidbits I noticed.

1. LV Bloodsucker "Tick" Segerblom is already using the Tesla deal to push for passage of the margin tax.
If Tesla is not immune to that tax too it would kill the Tesla deal!
It would drive a lot of existing business out of our state too, how stupid are these people?

2. Sandoval was able to sign the Tesla bills in minutes after passage.
But it took him a WEEK to veto SB-221.

3. Tesla got ALL the breaks, but our state budget is something like 120 Million in the hole right now.
So expect MORE new taxes next year for everyone, except Tesla of course.

4. LOTS of promises made to special interest to smooth the way for this!
2015 legislature is going to be a tax-raising and special interest pay-back free for all.
Dems want the 70 million dollar movie tax break reinstated, insurance companies will want their $27M break back too.

5. This deal may end Sandovals presidential election hopes.
The 2016 election is just over two years away.
If/when the Tesla deal goes at all as I expect with the new model not selling that well and the "Giga" (I'm sick of that trite affectation already) factory and it's economic impact is scaled back he will be toast.

6. Not a whisper of seeking ways to let business ALREADY HERE get a break.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top