Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2014 1:14:42 AM EDT
Bought an AR pistol off of Gunbroker and picked it up today from NFA (BTW they are a great bunch there).  When I got  home I started  thinking about the fact I didn't get a Blue Card with the pistol so I thought I should ask.  The pistol has a 7.5 inch barrel and the overall length is 25 inches.  Looking at the Blue Card FAQ doesn't reaylly address this particular issue.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:34:21 AM EDT
[#1]
According to several recent post, No.

Intuitively it would be yes, since it IS a pistol.
But it seems the "Rule" has an exception for AR and AK pistols.
Weird.

But then the whole concept of registering items you have a RIGHT to own in order to ease their confiscation later is weird to me!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#2]
No.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought that I read I wouldn't need a blue card for it on this forum, but when I looked at the blue card FAQ section on the board it pretty much says if it has under a 12" barrel then I need a blue card. I google search the issue and all I got was some older threads which also stated that a blue card was necessary. BTW I hate blue cards. A lot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought that I read I wouldn't need a blue card for it on this forum, but when I looked at the blue card FAQ section on the board it pretty much says if it has under a 12" barrel then I need a blue card. I google search the issue and all I got was some older threads which also stated that a blue card was necessary. BTW I hate blue cards. A lot.
View Quote

Metro decided to stop registering AR, AK, and similar style pistols, because, those firearms didn't fit the definition of a handgun under Statute and County Code.

Just to be sure nothing has changed I would call Metro's Firearms Registration Detail and ask them.

-Joe

For Reference (Paragraph 4 Subsection C).
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Metro decided to stop registering AR, AK, and similar style pistols, because, those firearms didn't fit the definition of a handgun under Statute and County Code.

Just to be sure nothing has changed I would call Metro's Firearms Registration Detail and ask them.

-Joe

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Joe

I read that section as well and that pretty much says unambiguously  it needs to be registered. My AR pistol has the Sig SB brace and the "intended use" of this contraption is to provide support such the the pistol can be fired one handed. I think most people are using it as a way around NFA laws but the intended uses is most definitely to allow one handed firing and the barrel is definitely under 12 inches. I guess I'll have to call metro where I'll probably get the run around and then a bad answer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've posted the notice from metro a few times on here.

AR and AK pistols are no longer to be registered in Nevada under the idea that they are "not easily concealed".

From the feedback we're getting weekly from the firearm reg division, the blue card thing may go away sooner than we thought without much of a fight.  There is some stress from the powers to be that it will be too influencial of an issue during the Sheriffs election and are in serious talks to eliminate it totally before the election citing that all candidates agree the budget spent there is needed and waraanted much more in other areas of the department.

But back on topic....rest easy, my guys know what they're doing.....no blue card needed for AR or AK pistols at this time.  
View Quote

So in doing this, then they no longer should be able to exclude them from the CCW permit correct?  Since NRS 202.3653 defers to federal definition of a handgun (18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29)) or can they still argue the "(A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand."

Or would we have to add a Sig brace to "comply" since it was designed to make the AR pistol held and fired by one hand and thus an AR pistol with one which has a barrel of less than 12" technically would now conform to the definition?

Any mention of expunging the database of records should this go away mentioned in these conversations?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:12:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So in doing this, then they no longer should be able to exclude them from the CCW permit correct?  Since NRS 202.3653 defers to federal definition of a handgun (18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29)) or can they still argue the "(A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand."

Or would we have to add a Sig brace to "comply" since it was designed to make the AR pistol held and fired by one hand and thus an AR pistol with one which has a barrel of less than 12" technically would now conform to the definition?

Any mention of expunging the database of records should this go away mentioned in these conversations?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've posted the notice from metro a few times on here.

AR and AK pistols are no longer to be registered in Nevada under the idea that they are "not easily concealed".

From the feedback we're getting weekly from the firearm reg division, the blue card thing may go away sooner than we thought without much of a fight.  There is some stress from the powers to be that it will be too influencial of an issue during the Sheriffs election and are in serious talks to eliminate it totally before the election citing that all candidates agree the budget spent there is needed and waraanted much more in other areas of the department.

But back on topic....rest easy, my guys know what they're doing.....no blue card needed for AR or AK pistols at this time.  

In my view, that is the MOST important issue surrounding doing away with the whole Blue Card issue here in Clark County.

A few years ago our very own gunmonkey tried to get his handguns UNregistered when he moved back up North from Clark County.

If I recall, he had to pull wisdom teeth to get any answers and I forget what the outcome was.

GM, if you see this post please update us on what final conclusion they arrived at.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys down south need to continue allowing Metro to foul the "Blue Card" data-base up as often as possible.
I love reading post of them insisting on using the model number rather than the serial number, then wondering why they have multiple registrants for the same gun.

Similar errors are common, as to be expected for any program administered by folk who would rather not be bothered, to the point of the occasional refusal to register as required.
Throw in the added weight of folk who leave the area and the inability of the system to be corrected and I expect it's crashing from it's own weight.
Any legitimate audit should be the final straw that would end it!

I was at the legislature when NVSCA could only come up with a SINGLE weak example of the data-base allegedly helping to solve a crime.
Supporters of the "Blue Card" are supporting massive waste of time and resource$ while clearly infringing the RKBA on the flimsiest of pretext.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You guys down south need to continue allowing Metro to foul the "Blue Card" data-base up as often as possible.
I love reading post of them insisting on using the model number rather than the serial number, then wondering why they have multiple registrants for the same gun.
View Quote

You should see NCIC if that is your argument. I recently found that several depts used the Windows Installation sticker and OEM number for a large computer manufacturer as the serial number.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#11]
@RichardSIA, re " a SINGLE weak example of the data-base allegedly helping to solve a crime "

I disagree;  There are many crimes it has solved: failures to register pistols.

There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kinds of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of lawbreakers - and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.
View Quote

Keith
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, here we go again.  Under Nevada law, the Clark County Board of Commissioners and the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) does not have the authority to abolish, repeal, or amend Clark County Ordinance 12.04.110 because it deals with firearms.  That authority is with the Nevada State legislature.

NRS 244.364  Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of certain firearms in county whose population is 700,000 or more.
     1.  Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers.  As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.
     2.  A board of county commissioners may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.
     3.  If a board of county commissioners in a county whose population is 700,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the board of county commissioners shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:
     (a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.
     (b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.
     4.  Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:
     (a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.
     (b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.
     (c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.
     (Added to NRS by 1989, 652; A 2007, 1289; 2011, 1109)

Hence any changes to will have to wait for the 2015 session of the Nevada State Legislature that does not convene until February 2, 2015. The trouble with these firearms’ pre-exemption statutes that (almost) everyone wants is that; in this case, you take away the authority to abolish, repeal, or amend Clark County Ordinance 12.04.110 from seven members of the Clark County Commission that are local and readily available and meets twice every month to; 63 members of the Nevada state legislature who are not readily accessible, and meet for 120-days every two years (425 miles away in Carson City).  And oh yea, do not forget about the governor's say about all of this!  

Therefore all this talk as to what LVMPD or the Clark County Commissioners may and not do, or what they want at this time, does not matter.  At best Clark County Ordinance 12.04.110 stays put until March or April of 2015 when the Nevada State Legislature is in session.  And no, there is no "grandfather" provision to NRS 244.34.  You guys in Clark County need to understand all of this and start also talking (demanding) to your members of the Nevada State Legislature and well as Metro! You / we need to stop this silly Clark County handgun registration requirement that has been in place since 1965 and is not serving any real useful purpose.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:34:46 AM EDT
[#13]
My understanding of many years has been that the legislature granted an exemption to the state law preempting county legislation, but only to those counties with a population over 700,000.
At the time that meant LV/Clark.

It has also been my understanding that LV/Clark could decide to give up that exemption at any time if they decide to do so.

I will ask my senator to clarify this the next time I see him, which is about once a month.
He will know the correct answer.

I'm reasonably certain that if the NVSCA decided it's a PITA and wanted it gone, it would be over with pretty quickly.

As to the current records being expunged, I expect a show of doing that might happen, but the records would remain in other "Shared" data-bases for a LONG time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My understanding of many years has been that the legislature granted an exemption to the state law preempting county legislation, but only to those counties with a population over 700,000.
At the time that meant LV/Clark.

It has also been my understanding that LV/Clark could decide to give up that exemption at any time if they decide to do so.

I will ask my senator to clarify this the next time I see him, which is about once a month.
He will know the correct answer.

I'm reasonably certain that if the NVSCA decided it's a PITA and wanted it gone, it would be over with pretty quickly.

As to the current records being expunged, I expect a show of doing that might happen, but the records would remain in other "Shared" data-bases for a LONG time.
View Quote

An exemption?  I do not see any exemption in NRS 224.364 (above). Why do you think that Clark County was granted an exemption to NRS 224.364?  I will admit that this is confusing; an Clark County Ordinance that can be changed only by state legislation. But that is the way we roll here in Nevada. See this for a more detailed explanation and what can be done about thjis silly Clark County handgun registration requirement: http://www.nvfac.org/Portals/0/documents/Handgun-Registration.pdf
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#15]
This may be slightly off subject, but I just started researching AR15 pistols.  When you purchase an AR15 pistol, is the lower registered as a pistol or dedicated as a pistol?  Especially in Clark County?

For future purposes, can the lower be converted back to a rifle component?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I have emailed my senator to settle this.

I expect he will reply during the week, possibly sooner.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This may be slightly off subject, but I just started researching AR15 pistols.  When you purchase an AR15 pistol, is the lower registered as a pistol or dedicated as a pistol?  Especially in Clark County?

For future purposes, can the lower be converted back to a rifle component?
View Quote

If it starts out as a pistol it can be configured into a rifle and then back to a pistol.

If it starts out as a rifle it is ALWAYS a rifle and cannot be configured into a pistol without SBR'ing the lower.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Unlike some, MY senator got right back to me!

Here is what I sent him,

"James,

I need to settle an on-line debate.

My understanding of many years has been that the legislature granted an exemption to the state law preempting county level firearm legislation, but only to those counties with a population over 700,000.
At the time that meant LV/Clark county.

It has also been my understanding that LV/Clark could give up that exemption at any time if they decide to do so.

The debate is weather or not I am correct in my understanding.

So the question is.
May Clark county voluntarily realize the futility and wasted expen$e of the "Blue Card" program and rescind it on their own, or does that require action from the state legislature?"

And here is his response.

"You are partly correct.    
Clark can stop doing it at their discretion.    (Bold is my emphasis.)
They then could start it up again also.  

Only real way to take it off the NRS is by the legislature, or a judge".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My (Richard/SIA) instinct is that if the "Blue Card" nonsense was ever stopped it would be too much of a political and logistic nightmare to ever start it up again.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Unlike some, MY senator got right back to me!

Here is what I sent him,

"James,

I need to settle an on-line debate.

My understanding of many years has been that the legislature granted an exemption to the state law preempting county level firearm legislation, but only to those counties with a population over 700,000.
At the time that meant LV/Clark county.

It has also been my understanding that LV/Clark could give up that exemption at any time if they decide to do so.

The debate is weather or not I am correct in my understanding.

So the question is.
May Clark county voluntarily realize the futility and wasted expen$e of the "Blue Card" program and rescind it on their own, or does that require action from the state legislature?"

And here is his response.

"You are partly correct.    
Clark can stop doing it at their discretion.    (Bold is my emphasis.)
They then could start it up again also.  

Only real way to take it off the NRS is by the legislature, or a judge".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My (Richard/SIA) instinct is that if the "Blue Card" nonsense was ever stopped it would be too much of a political and logistic nightmare to ever start it up again.
View Quote

Ok, what the good state legislator is telling us is that the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) could on their initiative stop registering handgun despite Clark County Ordinance 12.04.110 specific language to the contrary.

Well, yes LVMPD they could do so.  But is this what handgun owners in Clark County really want?  LVMPD following the advice of US Attorney General Eric Holder and not enforcing any legal laws or statutes that LVMPD decides it does not like.  Do we not already have enough of all this going on in this country already?  Such an action by LVMPD is loaded with endless questions and issues:

Who in LVMPD decides this action?
When this person is no longer in charge, what happens if the next person changes his or her mind?
Etc, etc.

Do you want to be placed in legal jeopardy, on the whim, of some elected or non-elected Clark County official?

Clark County firearms’ owners need Clark County Ordinance 12.04.110 repealed!  Period!  End of Story! The good state legislator is right, the only "...real way" is for the NV State Legislature repeal Clark County Ordinance 12.04.110.  A judicial action?  Good luck with that!   The NV State Legislature meets in February, 2015, so the time for actions is NOW!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Not LVPD, they have NO legislative authority, as much as they would to be able to write their own laws.
It would be up to the Clark County COMMISSIONERS, who DO have the necessary legislative authority in their county.

If Metro decides they want the "Blue Card" crap gone they just have to convince the county commissioners.
With that done getting full repeal through the '15 legislature would be fairly easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top