Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2014 10:40:48 AM EDT
Anyone know of a local engraving shop that can engrave in a circular pattern? I want to have my trust engraved around the outside of the Iron X on my Noveske Gen II lower...
Like where I wrote: PROPERTY OF TRUST NAME HERE LAS VEGAS, NV

I contacted IDENT Marking Services in TX and they said they could do it no problem, but I would like to find someone locally who can engrave it like it was done at the factory. No hand engraving, unless the engraver has some serious engraving skills..

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I could be wrong, but doesn't engraving on Anodizing bring the engraved characters back in the white?

I would contact Guido at New Frontier Armory. I'm sure he can put you in the right direction.

He goes by Guido1 here in the NVHTF.

Hope this helps.

-Joe
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I could be wrong, but doesn't engraving on Anodizing bring the engraved characters back in the white?

I would contact Guido at New Frontier Armory. I'm sure he can put you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

-Joe
View Quote
NFA can only engrave in a straight line (from what they told me anyway). That's my problem... Everyone I've talked to locally so far can only do it in a straight line, and lazering is out of the question, since it's not acceptable by the ATF. I would rather give the business to someone locally if they can do it like I want it done, but so far it's a no go. Figured I would check with other members just to make sure there's no one in Las Vegas before shipping it off.

IDENT repairs the newly engraved area:

Q: Will Ident Marking re-finish the engraving?

A: We will touch up the engraved area with a blacken agent that will re-oxidize the aluminum at no extra charge.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
NFA can only engrave in a straight line (from what they told me anyway). That's my problem... Everyone I've talked to locally so far can only do it in a straight line, and lazering is out of the question, since it's not acceptable by the ATF. I would rather give the business to someone locally if they can do it like I want it done, but so far it's a no go. Figured I would check with other members just to make sure there's no one in Las Vegas before shipping it off.

A: We will touch up the engraved area with a blacken agent that will re-oxidize the aluminum at no extra charge.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope this helps.

-Joe

At least you tried to keep it locally.

I didn't know that NFA couldn't do it. Perhaps you do need to send it off.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

We can do it.  When I was asked about yours by one of the guys he said you wanted it in a circle around the bbl, which is not worth the time to switch over the machine to do.

View Quote

It would be $45 for set up and engraving what you want done.

Also know that we can't gurantee it won't chip a bit around the edges because its already annodized.  It usually comes out very clean, but theres times where the edges chip a small bit due to material, annodizing differences, etc.

Sorry about any misunderstanding on us not being able to do it.  Bring in the picture you made with it and let them know you talked to me here.

Thanks Guido.
I think I asked if it could be done either way, around the circumference of the barrel or on the lower in a circle around the Iron X, so I may have caused the misunderstanding (wouldn't be the first time). I was more curios about doing the SBR engraving on the barrel than anything else. I've read it's legal to do just the barrel, and not the lower but I wasn't really too sure about it. I spoke to Ivan last time I was at NFA and he wasn't 100% sure about the
barrel engraving being good to go for a SBR engraving either, so I
decided not to take any chances, and to just stick to what is known to be legal, and do the lower. It's not like I have a super rare Magpul China Doll lower, so engraving a regular easily replaceable lower is fine. I just thought doing the last 1/2" of the barrel that was completely exposed would be pretty cool... I just want something different than what I see everyone else doing (straight line), so going around the outside of the Iron X roll mark should be different....

I'll drop it off tomorrow or early this coming week!

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:17:34 AM EDT
[#7]

I always thought that the engraving must be on the receiver, but interestingly, the relevant CFR states that the "certain additional information" (In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State [or recognized abbreviation thereof] where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm) can be engraved on the frame, receiver, or barrel.

That said, I'm guessing that the ATF, if pressed on the issue, would opine that on an AR, or any other gun capable of a quick barrel/upper change, you have to engrave the receiver.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I always thought that the engraving must be on the receiver, but interestingly, the relevant CFR states that the "certain additional information" (In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State [or recognized abbreviation thereof] where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm) can be engraved on the frame, receiver, or barrel.

That said, I'm guessing that the ATF, if pressed on the issue, would opine that on an AR, or any other gun capable of a quick barrel/upper change, you have to engrave the receiver.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/479.102

View Quote

Nope, in fact earlier this year they said it is fine to engrave pistol slides with the information
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Nope, in fact earlier this year they said it is fine to engrave pistol slides with the information

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, interesting, I would have bet otherwise.  Good to know.  

Any input at all on whether you need to engrave all barrels that will be used on the SBR or whether you can simply engrave the primary barrel and then switch to non engraved barrels as you choose?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, interesting, I would have bet otherwise.  Good to know.  

Any input at all on whether you need to engrave all barrels that will be used on the SBR or whether you can simply engrave the primary barrel and then switch to non engraved barrels as you choose?

I'd imagine the Sbbl thats on the gun at any time under 16" would need to be engraved if its not on the receiver.

We still advise on receiver engraving only because ATF and the others enforcing these regs don't know them or care to learn them as much as most here.

Agents not knowing all the regulations is exactly why I am apprehensive about engraving the barrel only for this SBR, and not the lower as well. I think engraving the barrel would look much nicer, and cleaner, but that's just my opinion. It would make more sense to me as well, since the bullet is actually fired out of it, and not the lower receiver....

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#12]
When I looked at this before the opinion I got from the ATF agent I spoke to was that on an AR variant that as the lower is the registered receiver thats where the engraving needs to be, but then for example say on a SIG556 where the upper is the registered part and the barrel is attached then it could go in either location receiver or barrel as they are technically one unit.

That said there is a thread over on HKpro with a letter from the ATF where they do not make any such distinction HKpro

The following may prove useful

ATF 5300.4 in 27 CFR 479.102 (page 92) describes what is necessary to engrave on a SBR or SBS when one is manufacturing. This is not necessary if you purchase one that is already manufactured as it will have been done for you.
1) On the Frame or Receiver the Serial number;
2) on the frame, receiver, or barrel the following additional information;
  A)The model;
  B)The caliber or gage;
  C)Your name or name of the Trust in the case of a Trust (no abbreviations are permitted for the Trust name);
  D)The city and state (you can abbreviate the state with the official 2 digit state code)
The above mentioned information must be engraved, casted, stamped (impressing) or otherwise conspicuously placed or caused to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size of the Serial number shall be no smaller than 1/16 inch.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:44:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We can do it.  When I was asked about yours by one of the guys he said you wanted it in a circle around the bbl, which is not worth the time to switch over the machine to do.

It would be $45 for set up and engraving what you want done.

Also know that we can't gurantee it won't chip a bit around the edges because its already annodized.  It usually comes out very clean, but theres times where the edges chip a small bit due to material, annodizing differences, etc.

Sorry about any misunderstanding on us not being able to do it.  Bring in the picture you made with it and let them know you talked to me here.

Thanks Guido.

I think I asked if it could be done either way, around the circumference of the barrel or on the lower in a circle around the Iron X, so I may have caused the misunderstanding (wouldn't be the first time). I was more curios about doing the SBR engraving on the barrel than anything else. I've read it's legal to do just the barrel, and not the lower but I wasn't really too sure about it. I spoke to Ivan last time I was at NFA and he wasn't 100% sure about the barrel engraving being good to go for a SBR engraving either, so I decided not to take any chances, and to just stick to what is known to be legal, and do the lower. It's not like I have a super rare Magpul China Doll lower, so engraving a regular easily replaceable lower is fine. I just thought doing the last 1/2" of the barrel that was completely exposed would be pretty cool... I just want something different than what I see everyone else doing (straight line), so going around the outside of the Iron X roll mark should be different....

I'll drop it off tomorrow or early this coming week!

No sweat.  We can do what you have pictured no problem.  I'm reluctant to give legal advice, especially when it comes to ATF (too many grey areas and loopholes in their favor).  This may not translate over to trusts, but as a mfg, we have to have a min of name, city, state and serial number on the actual firearm (in this case the lower) but other engravings such as caliber, and model can be on the bbl.  

If you do the research and find that it suffices, I can recomend Orion Arms to do the bbl engraving you're looking for.

Dropped it off this afternoon (monday) Guido. Would it make a difference if I were to bead blast it to remove the anodizing and factory cerakote? Will that keep it from potentially chipping? I can always acid etch and cerakote again after it's engraved if bead blasting it first will make a difference. I can pick it back up and bead blast it really quick before you start work on it if it'll make things easier...

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You should be getting a call shortly, I just brought it up from the machine shop myself and it came out great!  No chipping and looks pretty awesome!  Hope you're happy with it, and hopefully you can black out the trust name and post a picture for everyone to see.
View Quote

Just picked it up a little while ago. With the exception of the extra letter E being slightly engraved below and between the P and the E on the word PROPERTY, it came out excellent. You can barely even see it (it's really small) when actually looking at the receiver in person. I actually thought it was just lint at first, and didn't really see it until reviewing the close up pics when editing out my name... Not sure how that happened, but I'll live with it.
After looking closer at it, there's an extra G and E on it above the word VEGAS too.. These are HD pics, so you can see everything with them.. HOWEVER. I didn't notice it until literally just now.. While looking at the photo on here.. I left the engraving un-colorfilled because I like the raw aluminum look (looks white in color, but it's actually shiny aluminum. The Iron X is OD green). I'll just matte clear it to seal it.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Shit, now I feel dumb.  I didn't notice it either.  If you bring it back by sometime we can prob get it fixed up for you to where you won't notice them.  I looked at it pretty good today when it was done to check for chipping and didn't notice that at all to be honest with you.

It took a few times to get the machine set up to make it around the cross exactly without going off the lower.  It runs passes without the bit where it should just glide along the service and not rub at all like that.  I feel like a jerk now......or your camera just has much better vision that my eyes!
View Quote

Time to get out the pitchforks and torches!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Shit, now I feel dumb.  I didn't notice it either.  If you bring it back by sometime we can prob get it fixed up for you to where you won't notice them.  I looked at it pretty good today when it was done to check for chipping and didn't notice that at all to be honest with you.

View Quote

It took a few times to get the machine set up to make it around the cross exactly without going off the lower.  It runs passes without the bit where it should just glide along the service and not rub at all like that.  I feel like a jerk now......or your camera just has much better vision that my eyes!

No worries, I'm fine with it as is. I'll end up recoating it at some point anyway, and you'll never see the extra letters... This goes on a .300 blk SBR that I am building for my son to inherit. He's now only seven months old, so I have PLENTY of time to use it, and abuse it before I refinish it and put it away for him.. He'll probably beat the crap out of it learning to shoot anyway once he gets old enough, so I'll likely be refinishing it more than once. I have two more Noveske lowers I would like to have engraved exactly like this one was if you wanna do them as well... I wanted to see how this looked before doing all three.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

No problem.  Its saved now so you shouldn't get any shadowing!  I'll do 2 for the price of one for you to make up for that!
View Quote

Thanks Guido! I'll strip the other two lowers today and drop them off either today, or tomorrow.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No problem.  Its saved now so you shouldn't get any shadowing!  I'll do 2 for the price of one for you to make up for that!
View Quote

That right there is why NFA is the hottest store in Vegas........................Well that and because Cliff is one damn sexy bitch.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just picked it up a little while ago. With the exception of the extra letter E being slightly engraved below and between the P and the E on the word PROPERTY, it came out excellent. You can barely even see it (it's really small) when actually looking at the receiver in person. I actually thought it was just lint at first, and didn't really see it until reviewing the close up pics when editing out my name... Not sure how that happened, but I'll live with it.
After looking closer at it, there's an extra G and E on it above the word VEGAS too.. These are HD pics, so you can see everything with them.. HOWEVER. I didn't notice it until literally just now.. While looking at the photo on here.. I left the engraving un-colorfilled because I like the raw aluminum look (looks white in color, but it's actually shiny aluminum. The Iron X is OD green). I'll just matte clear it to seal it.

http://i57.tinypic.com/10fdz0p.png

http://i60.tinypic.com/2e38lfm.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should be getting a call shortly, I just brought it up from the machine shop myself and it came out great!  No chipping and looks pretty awesome!  Hope you're happy with it, and hopefully you can black out the trust name and post a picture for everyone to see.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
That right there is why NFA is the hottest store in Vegas........................Well that and because Cliff is one damn sexy bitch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I really like NFA. They have been very helpful with every single transaction I have done with them. The minor oops on the lower could have been done by anyone attempting the circular engraving, and truth be told, IDENT charges $95 for the SAME work, plus you have to pay for shipping... NFA is seriously not charging enough for the engraving.. Especially "special" engraving like I wanted done..

I had night sights installed on my Glock 17 by WWWest, who charged $45 AFTER a mil discount.. AND I bought the over priced sights from them (I would have thought that after over paying for the sights, I would have at least gotten a break on installation, but NOPE)... Plus I had to leave the gun there for 2 days. I live in the NW, so that was a long drive twice to get the sights changed..

NFA charged $25 to install the same exact night sights on my Glock 21, with no mil discount, and they did it in 5 min. After I brought the G21 and sights into have them changed, I realized the sights were the SAME price at NFA as I paid online (DAMMIT!). Huge difference in my book on prices and customer service.
THAT'S exactly why I keep going back. Great customer service, and fair prices...

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.52magic.com/syssite/home/shop/1/pictures/productsimg/big/2178.jpg

Those are for eyebrows...

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice work G. What kind of flashy sumthin sumthin do you think you could come up with for SBR engraving on one of your NVBB lowers?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

I just dropped off the other two lowers this afternoon.
Here's the first engraved lower back together...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top