Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2014 7:46:43 PM EDT
NRS 202.257  Possession of firearm when under influence of alcohol, controlled substance or other intoxicating substance; administration of evidentiary test; penalty; forfeiture of firearm.
     1.  It is unlawful for a person who:
     (a) Has a concentration of alcohol of 0.10 or more in his or her blood or breath; or
     (b) Is under the influence of any controlled substance, or is under the combined influence of intoxicating liquor and a controlled substance, or any person who inhales, ingests, applies or otherwise uses any chemical, poison or organic solvent, or any compound or combination of any of these, to a degree which renders him or her incapable of safely exercising actual physical control of a firearm,
Ê to have in his or her actual physical possession any firearm. This prohibition does not apply to the actual physical possession of a firearm by a person who was within the person’s personal residence and had the firearm in his or her possession solely for self-defense.
     2.  Any evidentiary test to determine whether a person has violated the provisions of subsection 1 must be administered in the same manner as an evidentiary test that is administered pursuant to NRS 484C.160 to 484C.250, inclusive, except that submission to the evidentiary test is required of any person who is directed by a police officer to submit to the test. If a person to be tested fails to submit to a required test as directed by a police officer, the officer may direct that reasonable force be used to the extent necessary to obtain the samples of blood from the person to be tested, if the officer has reasonable cause to believe that the person to be tested was in violation of this section.
     3.  Any person who violates the provisions of subsection 1 is guilty of a misdemeanor.
     4.  A firearm is subject to forfeiture pursuant to NRS 179.1156 to 179.119, inclusive, only if, during the violation of subsection 1, the firearm is brandished, aimed or otherwise handled by the person in a manner which endangered others.
     5.  As used in this section, the phrase “concentration of alcohol of 0.10 or more in his or her blood or breath” means 0.10 gram or more of alcohol per 100 milliliters of the blood of a person or per 210 liters of his or her breath.
     (Added to NRS by 1995, 2533; A 1999, 2470; 2003, 2565)

CCW guys and gals - how many of you have had a drink or drinks while carrying to prevent creating a gun free zone on your person by having drinks and disarming yourself instead?

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Were you drinking when you typed up that question?

I generally will go have a cold adult beverage or two after a range trip with a gun in my pants. I also usually carry when i go out to dinner and have a drink or two with dinner.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
i updated the last few words - not drinking - i should be though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Im not sure that really cleared anything up.

Just to be clear .10 is actually pretty high the limit for driving is .08 id have to have like 5 beers in under an hour to be in violation of the statute u posted. I may drink that many beers sometimes but its usually over the course of several hours. I havent picked up a bottle if whiskey in a while but id put the gun away that point along with my keys
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

(a) Has a concentration of alcohol of 0.10 or more in his or her blood or breath; or

View Quote

10% ?!?!?  Yeee gawd.  Who on Earth drinks that much while carrying.  I'm with Obo2, I'll have one, MAYBE two since I'm a rather large fellow, but that's it.  And those are extremely rare occasions.  When I'm carrying I'm drinking lemonade.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]
1 - 2 what? an hour? every 2 hours?...

in 24 hours?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]
here is a link to a basic blood alcohol level calculator. http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/

of course that is not a totally accurate test but should help give you some general guidelines.

as a male of about 185 pounds 1 beer equates to a BAC of about 0.022 it takes over an hour to metabolize about that much.
so four beers in an hour and i would probably be over the limit to drive but just under the limit to carry. around 0.088 wait an hour with no more drinks and that will drop down to 0.068

different beers and wines have different alcohol contents and bars serve different size pours the numbers above would be for a 12oz standard bottled beer which is typically about 5% now go to a microbrewery and get the big ole mug of the 10% super beer and you should probably cut yourself off after about 1.

The important thing is to just drink responsibly and in moderation and for a lot more reasons than the possibility of an officer spotting your concealed piece and deciding to string you up for it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#7]
here's another link talking about how quickly your body metabolizes alcohol

http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol/DrivingIssues/1127227453.html#.U8hLo_ldV8E

they say you'll metabolize .015 bac an hour so a little less than 3/4 of a beer

It also would indicate that requesting an actual blood test over a breathalyzer would be a better way to get an accurate reading if you are ever in trouble as the breath can give higher readings.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Warning!  If you are carrying a CCW do not drink alcohol, intake a controlled substance or other intoxicating substance…period!  You are asking for legal trouble; and, you will get it!  

All we need as firearms owners is someone in a bar – with a CCW – getting intoxicated and in turn doing something stupid!  We firearms owners do not need any more negative publicity.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats like me telling you to shoot 2000 rounds a month and maintain a verified qual because we gun owners don't need some non accurate shooting rookie... getting in legal trouble when a jury hears you don't shoot enough but you killed someone due to a missed shot....   tell the girl from lubies diner not to carry drinking or not

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Warning!  If you are carrying a CCW do not drink alcohol, intake a controlled substance or other intoxicating substance…period!  You are asking for legal trouble; and, you will get it!  

All we need as firearms owners is someone in a bar – with a CCW – getting intoxicated and in turn doing something stupid!  We firearms owners do not need any more negative publicity.

View Quote

Sorry, but that is a personal opinion and one others disagree with.

What legal trouble will they be in? Please tell us.

Firearm owners do stupid things every day. Drunk, high, but mostly sober.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Obviously more laws will save us. We should make it illegal to get drunk and commit crimes.

Oh wait, how about we make it illegal to commit crimes

Quoted:

10% ?!?!?  Yeee gawd.  Who on Earth drinks that much while carrying.  I'm with Obo2, I'll have one, MAYBE two since I'm a rather large fellow, but that's it.  And those are extremely rare occasions.  When I'm carrying I'm drinking lemonade.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.1 not 10.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#12]

i think this section of the statute gives a pretty good idea of when the line is crossed

4. A firearm is subject to forfeiture pursuant to NRS 179.1156 to 179.119, inclusive, only if, during the violation of subsection 1, the firearm is brandished, aimed or otherwise handled by the person in a manner which endangered others.
View Quote

if you remember concealed means concealed you could probably be very intoxicated and never get charged with this crime provided you don't do any of the above or commit other crimes.

I'm obviously not advocating carrying while intoxicated but drink and act responsibly and you shouldn't ever have problems.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Oops.  Nevermind
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top