Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2014 5:09:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We have all noticed the recent trend of section 8er's influxing into our neighborhoods. With the closing and demolition of the projects and rental vouchers given by the county every corner in Vegas has been under siege. Since the real estate crash I'd estimate my area has gone from 80% owner occupied to now 80% rentals. With that comes the one thing that drives me up the wall...abandoned shopping carts. These carts are pushed with a few items in them from the local store (they don't realize that one small bag of stuff would take less energy to carry than pushing that cart but smart isn't what gets you on section 8). Then the cart is just left abandoned on the street or sidewalks. You will never see this done to a Wal-Mart cart as they have a theft deterrent on theirs. Smiths, Food for Less and Albertson's seem to be popular ones to steal.

So my question is...with each cart having 2-3 stickers on it with the NRS quoted about how taking a shopping cart is against the law and considered theft, why do I see police officers driving right by as some derelict is pushing one of these things down the road? I know, I know...they are too busy to deal with this right? Well a crime is a crime is it not? Is it because the store won't prosecute?

...and before anyone asks if I'm for taking it back from some "homeless" guy...yea I'd throw all his cans on the ground, hit his dog and take his cart.

#stoptheshoppingcartinsanityNOW
View Quote

I have seen several carts with the theft deterrent being pushed well beyond their barriers and abandoned with one wheel ground flat and half way gone.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure any enforcement on this would be deemed racist, so...Move on...Forward..
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#4]
what zip code is this?
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:21:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Same as yours, USA
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Those carts cost well over $250, so stealing one should be a felony...
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I see people driving 70 in a 65 with multiple signs posted that say the speed limit is 65 and cops don't enforce that either.  It's not worth the time and I'm sure the stores build in stolen shopping carts to their business model.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#9]
They pushed them that far! Ho-lee-shit! They must be super shoppers! Most shoppers are so f'n lazy, they can't even find the cart corral to return them at the store (pretty much EVERY WallyWorld in Las Vegas)... They push it around in the store for 45 min or more, but can't push it another 25-50 feet to damn cart corral to put it away. Just leave it in the parking lot 2 feet from their car in the middle of a parking space, or stick in the landscaping...

I have a solution for this. Build racks that you have to put .25 cents into to get the cart when you first get to the store. When you return the cart after shopping, you get the .25 cents back. Kids, homeless (remember when they where bums and panhandlers? When did they get a new title?), and just about anyone who wants .25 cents will put the carts back just to get the money if some lazy ass leaves it sitting in the parking lot.

The initial cost of the rack for this, and the retro fitting of the current carts and new carts would not be cheap, but the store likely wouldn't have to send someone out constantly to retrieve 50+ carts at a time, and it would also cut down on injuries employees sustain trying to push 50+ carts backing to the store, or slip/fall injuries while retrieving them, so it would pay for it's self in no time....

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They pushed them that far! Ho-lee-shit! They must be super shoppers! Most shoppers are so f'n lazy, they can't even find the cart corral to return them at the store (pretty much EVERY WallyWorld in Las Vegas)... They push it around in the store for 45 min or more, but can't push it another 25-50 feet to damn cart corral to put it away. Just leave it in the parking lot 2 feet from their car in the middle of a parking space, or stick in the landscaping...

I have a solution for this. Build racks that you have to put .25 cents into to get the cart when you first get to the store. When you return the cart after shopping, you get the .25 cents back. Kids, homeless (remember when they where bums and panhandlers? When did they get a new title?), and just about anyone who wants .25 cents will put the carts back just to get the money if some lazy ass leaves it sitting in the parking lot.

The initial cost of the rack for this, and the retro fitting of the current carts and new carts would not be cheap, but the store likely wouldn't have to send someone out constantly to retrieve 50+ carts at a time, and it would also cut down on injuries employees sustain trying to push 50+ carts backing to the store, or slip/fall injuries while retrieving them, so it would pay for it's self in no time....

View Quote

You might be on to something there.............if you can get the rack to take EBT cards.

FSA don't carry no quarters, just $20's, $100's and a EBT card.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]
This is why I bought a house that was outside of walking distance from any grocery store.

Now if I catch the little fuckers who keep tagging all the shit around my neighborhood...
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#12]
It's nothing new,when I was a kid in the 80's in north town there was a grocery store , I want to think it was Luckys ? on mcdaniel and lake mead that would give me and a buddy a buck for every abandoned cart we brought back to them and we found a lot
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is why I bought a house that was outside of walking distance from any grocery store.

Now if I catch the little fuckers who keep tagging all the shit around my neighborhood...
View Quote

This.
I'm over a mile from he nearest bus stop and one mile uphill from the nearest grocery store. Helps keep the riff raff away.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Well now we know
Not all of us thought of the little details when we bought
But we're learning, and it seems that there is a definite pattern. ..
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:00:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I work
I pay taxes to government.
Government gives the money I paid to someone who has no interest in working.
That person takes that money and buys groceries and steals a cart.
My neighborhood (4 streets) resembles Watts with 6 shopping carts strewn about.
The grocery store where I shop raise prices to compensate for stolen carts.

What a cycle of shit.....
View Quote

Here is an issue-

The police stop the person with the cart. Theft of the cart is a crime. What must the police do now?

• Have the owner come get the cart or call for a truck so it can be impounded. The store won't show, so time to call a truck for an impound. This likely means a callout to someone for the evidence impound.
    The junk in the cart has to be sorted. It has to be impounded, go with the person to jail, or trashed. This has to be done by hand and creates the usual legal challenges of "You threw away my gold grill".
    The crime is only a misdemeanor, which means the crime could only be a walkthrough at the jail.

The liberals that took over the legislature altered the value for a felony to $650. They wanted to use Kalifornia as a guide then go higher. This has seriously effected other crimes, mainly electronics (cell phones). I will say the shopping cart theft has dramatically gone down after the installation of locking carts. It used to be much worse.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#16]

I don't how it works or how she did it. I was at the Wally World on LV blvd / Nellis and seen a fat lady with two young kids leaving the parking lot with two carts. One was full, the other empty. She was dragging the full cart (wheel locked) from the front while lifting and dragging the empty cart from the front (front wheels off the ground). She got out to the sidewalk and stopped to transfer her stuff from one to the other. Then she left the locked up cart and pushed the other unlocked cart with her stuff down the road...

I was like

I was pissed because she was teaching her young kids how to steel stuff.

Im guessing holding the front wheel up high enough off the ground keeps it from locking?

I dont know what the heck she was doing, but I wanted to go over there and knock the cart over.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.
I'm over a mile from he nearest bus stop and one mile uphill from the nearest grocery store. Helps keep the riff raff away  .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
I'm over a mile from he nearest bus stop and one mile uphill from the nearest grocery store. Helps keep the riff raff away  .

Didn't keep you away.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#18]
This one was new for me.  Dude had two shopping carts each loaded like pack animals.  Each must have had at least three cart loads strapped over the already full cart, held on by straps, bungie cords, and whatever else.  I have never seen so much piled on and around a cart.  And he had TWO of them so it looked liked he was shuttling one across the street at a time  Stuff mostly in garbage bags but he had a cooler, pillow, and some other possessions.  I thought it all looked really heavy but then I noticed it appeared the garbage bags were full of empty beverage cans.  Okay, he's scavenging for cans.

Now I remember in Kalifornia I could make some serious coin by recycling cans when I was young.  They had these machines you just stuffed them into (could not have dents) and it paid you  in quarters.  I don't see those here.  What are recycling aluminum cans worth in Nevada/LV?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Those cans are worth a lot less here than in CA.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This one was new for me.  Dude had two shopping carts each loaded like pack animals.  Each must have had at least three cart loads strapped over the already full cart, held on by straps, bungie cords, and whatever else.  I have never seen so much piled on and around a cart.  And he had TWO of them so it looked liked he was shuttling one across the street at a time  Stuff mostly in garbage bags but he had a cooler, pillow, and some other possessions.  I thought it all looked really heavy but then I noticed it appeared the garbage bags were full of empty beverage cans.  Okay, he's scavenging for cans.

Now I remember in Kalifornia I could make some serious coin by recycling cans when I was young.  They had these machines you just stuffed them into (could not have dents) and it paid you  in quarters.  I don't see those here.  What are recycling aluminum cans worth in Nevada/LV?
View Quote

no deposit and refund on cans in nv can take them  to a recycling center and get aluminum scrap prices maybe $0.50 a lb...

so about $1 per 60 cans
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't think its 50 cents a lb.
A few years ago I filled a 30 gallon can with smashed flat cans, took it down to some place on Losee, I think I got $14
Now I throw them away, they can sort them at Republic if they want to.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't think its 50 cents a lb.
A few years ago I filled a 30 gallon can with smashed flat cans, took it down to some place on Losee, I think I got $14
Now I throw them away, they can sort them at Republic if they want to.
View Quote

well the first recycling place that had aluminum scrap prices online was earthworks recycling in washington... not sure what prices are here
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 12:56:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone ever watch Bum Fights? Remember the homeless guy from Las Vegas with the pimped out shopping cart? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OiiOc7EYAY

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Don't give them any ideas. We will be seeing a sea of losers pushing carts on the side of I-15 all the way to Cali
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those cans are worth a lot less here than in CA.

Don't give them any ideas. We will be seeing a sea of losers pushing carts on the side of I-15 all the way to Cali

I really don't see a problem with that.  For years the sea of losers has been clogging I-15 heading this way from Cali, time to let the garbage go home.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Boyhowdy, do I miss Las Vegas!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Boyhowdy, do I miss Las Vegas!
View Quote

Don't be so jealous, it was 107 degrees here today, I bet you can't get that in Wa. Either
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#28]
One time I collected four cart on my street,I called the stores to come get them.Their response was " we aint got no time fo dat",My response was, I would wizz wheel them to pieces and put them in the trash, and I did
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:46:22 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm glad I moved out of north town...

When I did live there, I was witness to an awesome entrepreneur business going on. There was this shitty flatbed truck made out of an old Nissan T100 and it had probably 20 shopping carts on it. Guy pulls up to a cart on the street, loads it on to the truck and rearranges them so it is with the others from same store. I can only assume he collects them, contacts the store it came from, and asks for a small fee to bring them back. Guy needs to advertise so y'all can call him to come clean up the neighborhood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top