Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2014 10:57:34 PM EDT
So over a year ago now I purchased a NFA item from them. The item had a gas issue which I was told would be fixed before I picked it up. I've regularly checked with the ATF to figure out when I would get approved. Last month I stopped in and told them I was on track to get my stamp in early April and asked if it had been fixed yet. The gun Smith that works there was involved in this conversation. He said it had not been fixed but told another employee the needed to get working on it.  I called this morning because my stamp was approved last week. The guy said the stamp was there, the gun was fixed and I should come and get it. So I drive the hour and ten minutes it takes to get there. While in the process of picking it up the gun Smith says, I don't think I worked on that yet. Sure enough it wasn't ready. They had it for over a year, I told them it was going to get approved in a month, then they tell me it's good to go when it wasn't, and I waste my day off driving there only to find out I have to wait another week. I told them how pissed I was. They blamed an employee who was fired. That is a piss poor way to run a business. I'm curious to see how they handle the rest of the transaction.  As of now they need to do an whole lot if they want to see another dollar of my money.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Oops
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I read the OP's post and have given thought. I have dealt with Dan Shea and LMO LLc  for many class three purchases and they have all went smoothly. My first purchase was a suppressor that they did a NCIS check on me before I could take it home with the approved form 4. Dan and his people were always straight with me and I consider LMO to be my class three dealer.
 On the other hand Matt Babb and Bentwood Gunsmithing is a separate business that happens to be in the same location as LMO. I have spoken to Matt and his guys at length and consider them very competent. That being said I will probably take most if not all my guns to other gunsmiths. A couple of my close friends have advised me that unless I am willing to wait an unspecified time to take my stuff to other smiths.
 I know the wait for transfers borders on the edge of most folks patience, and waiting on a gunsmith too could send even the most patient over the falls. Please keep us posted on how it all turns out. YMMV,Ronnie.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard positive things about bentwood, and have also heard they usually have a long wait.

I don't have much experience with them other than taking a lower with a bolt catch detent that was stuck in there.

They tried smacking it on the table and then told me itd be $80 to put it on a mill...

i ended up just drilling a hole in the lower that would be hidden by the bolt catch
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Is LMO under new ownership? I heard there is new owners in there.

I went in about a month and half ago looking for a Glock 29 and didn't recognize any one in the place. They had one, so the big tall guy there let me look at it. I asked him if he had any of the mag extensions he could put on the magazine so see how it felt as it was a little short in my hand. He told me no we don't have any. I turn a round and looked at their display and they are hanging right there. I told him he had one right there and he told me he wouldn't put it on for me. So I proceeded to walk out the door, The old people in there were always great and I have spent quite a bit of money there. I could tell that with the mag extension it would have probably been good. But after that there was no way in hell they were getting my money.

A friend of mine told me he knew the guy and said he was really surprised he treated me that way. So a few weeks later I thought ok, I will give them another chance. Went in there same guy was there and another person behind the counter. I couldn't even get either one of them to even acknowledge me after standing at the counter looking at several guns through the case for probably 5 min. They kept walking by like I wasn't even there, finally said screw this and left.

Interesting thing when I left, It looked like Bentwood wasn't even there anymore, the space they were in looked empty.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah still not impressed. I picked it up today, went to the range, it still doesn't work. So that means I have to make at least two more trips to that place....So pissed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe post whats wrong with it and somebody in here can help?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top