Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2014 4:48:21 PM EDT
I like to hunt, fish and just be outside.  Here in TX, most of the land is privately owned.  I might retire in a few more years and am kinda looking to relocate.
Not sure if I want to stay here or not.  I like the area around lake tahoe, the mountains and rivers.  Texas is getting crowded.  

See if I have this right

[Pro / Cons]
Outdoor activities:  NV has mountains and rivers with access to fishing along the bank, whereas in TX the land is privately owned.
Water: NV most of the state is desert
Places to shoot:  easier to find a place to shoot NV? just drive out in the desert?
Population:  NV approx 2 million vs TX approx 25 million
Property taxes:  from those ive talked to, property taxes are lower in NV vs TX

Comments?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Ranchers own all the land here and what they don't own you can't cross their land to get to the public land.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ranchers own all the land here and what they don't own you can't cross their land to get to the public land.

View Quote

Where is this that there is no public land access?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Northeastern Clark County

I know NDOW says parts of hunting unit 021 or 022 is close off to private land ownership, Storey county is a checkerboard pattern, Derby dam is the same way and it is also closed to public access, A lot of the area surrounding the Rubicon Trail and Fordyce trail in Nevada are closed to public access.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like to hunt, fish and just be outside.  Here in TX, most of the land is privately owned.  I might retire in a few more years and am kinda looking to relocate.
Not sure if I want to stay here or not.  I like the area around lake tahoe, the mountains and rivers.  Texas is getting crowded.  

See if I have this right

[Pro / Cons]
Outdoor activities:  NV has mountains and rivers with access to fishing along the bank, whereas in TX the land is privately owned.
Water: NV most of the state is desert Yes, lots of desert with a dozen or so lakes to fish and go boating.
Places to shoot:  easier to find a place to shoot NV? just drive out in the desert?  75% of the land is BLM and most of it is GTG for shooting.
Population:  NV approx 2 million vs TX approx 25 million We are over 2M in Vegas. Thinking the state is around 3M. (guess)
Property taxes:  from those ive talked to, property taxes are lower in NV vs TX Don't know about TX, our property tax isn't too bad.

Comments?
View Quote

If you like desert and mountains, NV is GTG. I would take a look at northern AZ and UT too. UT is nice. If you look at southern NV, look at Boulder City. Quiet little town, easy drive down into Vegas.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I know NDOW says parts of hunting unit 021 or 022 is close off to private land ownership, Storey county is a checkerboard pattern, Derby dam is the same way and it is also closed to public access, A lot of the area surrounding the Rubicon Trail and Fordyce trail in Nevada are closed to public access.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Storey is a mess.... and the only one truly like that. Either way, I haven't had any issues. Utah has a good rule, where the streams are public land and there must be some form of public access.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#6]
NV has become far too crowded over the past 15 years as well...mostly coming over from the leftist areas of CA.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NV has become far too crowded over the past 15 years as well...mostly coming over from the leftist areas of CA.
View Quote

which is exactly why we need more arfcommers.

property taxes are county based but here in clark they aren't too bad...

I haven't run in to the issue of accessing public land my self
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

See if I have this right

[Pro / Cons]
Water: NV most of the state is desert
Places to shoot:  easier to find a place to shoot NV? just drive out in the desert?
Population:  NV approx 2 million vs TX approx 25 million
Property taxes:  from those ive talked to, property taxes are lower in NV vs TX

Comments?
View Quote

Well, since you're asking about northern NV...

I live just outside of Reno city limits in Washoe County. Takes me about 20 minutes to drive to town and it's dead quiet here. Mostly retired folks as neighbors (I'm 40 btw). 87% of NV land is federally owned with all the pro's and con's that come along with that.

High desert is the landscape so you better like it hot and dry in summer (rarely above 100 though and it almost always cools off at night) and cool and mostly dry in winter. Reno is USDA zone 7a/7b (USDA map) with a lot of micro climates in the area.

There's good fishing at Pyramid lake (Indian Reservation) as well as other streams and lakes in the area. Some impressive pictures are pinned to the wall at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. Big game hunting seems problematic with more hunters than game in the state. Tags are assigned by a lottery. But other folks on here are much better informed than I am about that.

I haven't been to a public shooting range in many years. I usually just drive out in the desert to a few of my preferred places and go at it.

There are about 425k people in the Reno/Sparks area. Too many for me already but we'll gladly make space for another arfcommer... About 2.1 mio in Las Vegas/Clark County. NV has about 25% of the population density (as in people per square mile) compared to TX. If you'd take Vegas out of that equation it'd be even more drastic.

Like TX there's no state tax. 7.725% sales tax in Washoe County. My property taxes are about 0.9% of the retail value of my house. The actual 'formula' used is more complicated but that's what my property taxes always boiled down to over the last 10+ years.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#9]
One thing Ive heard is that almost all of the ground water in NV has some level of radiation in it.  Any truth in this?
I just did a quick google search and seen this (wont hot link commie LA times)
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/13/nation/na-radiation-nevada13
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Everything has radiation. What matters is the type.

Unless you hang out near the cancer cluster town, I haven't heard any other issues with groundwater. My only issue is the high mineral content.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]
If you leave Texas for Nevada, you will forever curse yourself, I put $50 on it. If you win you win, if I win you win because I won't collect.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both the Rubicon and Fordyce are completely inside California.  There are definitely some areas of Nevada closed to public access, but they don't fall into that category.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:57:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Both the Rubicon and Fordyce are completely inside California.  There are definitely some areas of Nevada closed to public access, but they don't fall into that category.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, that was foolish.  I can't believe I thought Homewood and Emigrant Gap were in Nevada.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top