Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2014 7:45:41 PM EDT
Some thIngs JUST never change it seems.

Thought I would go see a movie tonight before I died of boredom.
Midway through town a deputy pulls in behind me.
No big deal, I'm in the flatbed, not doing ANYTHING, I know he's there, so one eye on the speedo just to be sure.
One mile, two miles, four, something is up with this guy.
I signal a lane change, PRESTO here come the lights!
Now I know damn well I have done nothing wrong.

Comes now the drill, "License & registration".
OK, fine here they are.
Cop says registration is out of date, I'm skeptical as I always renew on-line the day I get the notice and I remember doing one recently.
If that were all of it I would have nothing to post, but he just had to go D'-Bag from there.
He goes to the passenger side of my truck and tries the door, like a schmuck I say "It's open", nice little gambit to claim "Permission" for a search.
He opens the door, shines his damn flashlight in and performs the warrant-less visual search!
Then ask "Where is your weapon"?
So here we go again, treated as some sort of suspect due to having a CCW.
My response was that I was ASSURED during legislative hearings that having a CCW would never be cause to be questioned during a routine traffic stop.
I told him that where my weapon is, is none of his business, but since he asked it's at home.
Yes, I am bringing this up to my state assemblyman and senator.
I am going to find out how DMV failed to send the Reg. sticker, I am also going to formally complain to the sheriff about the coy little gambit to carry out warrant-less searches!
I want an apology from the deputy, and if the Sheriff is pushing this crap I will go from merely intending to vote for another candidate to actively campaigning for them!

If they want to make notes on their computer regards my having a CCW or anything else, let them make a note that reads "DOES NOT CONSENT TO WARANT-LESS SEARCH OR ANY OTHER ABROGATION OF CIVIL RIGHTS"!

So tired of the petty bullshit efforts to "Bust" the citizens while the genuine criminals are ignored.
Recently had $8K of property stolen, when I reported it I could not even get a list of scrap yards from them to use in looking for my stuff.
That list would be just too much effort and not a revenue stream for the county.
Hell, catching the thieves might COST the county money, can't have THAT!
Feels more like Kalifornicate'ya all the time.
EOR
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems Metro has upped their piss off the public tactics recently.  Last week i had a Bike cop just pull out in front of me, didnt stop for the stop sign at Flamingo and Jones heading west of Flamingo  Hit the brakes, and with habit, hit the horn for a quick burst.  He proceeds to pull me over from in front of me, after i made a right turn on to Jones.

Comes up to the window and asks if i have any weapons in the car.  When i respond No, he said may i check to make sure.  I said nope.  
Then he asks for License and Registration.  I hand him both plus the insurance card.  He asked "Are you fucking stupid.  I didnt ask for insurance. Learn to listen."  
So i ask what i was pulled over for.  
He responds with "You drove more then 200 feet on the shoulder."
Me being in shock, i asked that is against to law to use the shoulder as a turn lane?  
He said "Yes, if you had a brain you would know that."  
Now this is a section that i have seen hundreds of cars use to make a right turn, probably done it a couple hundred myself.

Law cited is NRS 484B.210  

Talk about a BS ticket.  Trying to decide if i should go record some cars doing exactly what i did, and fight the ticket.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No big deal, I'm in the flatbed, not doing ANYTHING, I know he's there, so one eye on the speedo just to be sure.

OK, fine here they are.
Cop says registration is out of date, I'm skeptical as I always renew on-line the day I get the notice and I remember doing one recently.
If that were all of it I would have nothing to post, but he just had to go D'-Bag from there.
He goes to the passenger side of my truck and tries the door, like a schmuck I say "It's open", nice little gambit to claim "Permission" for a search.
He opens the door, shines his damn flashlight in and performs the warrant-less visual search!
My response was that I was ASSURED during legislative hearings that having a CCW would never be cause to be questioned during a routine traffic stop.
I told him that where my weapon is, is none of his business, but since he asked it's at home.
I am going to find out how DMV failed to send the Reg. sticker, I am also going to formally complain to the sheriff about the coy little gambit to carry out warrant-less searches!
I want an apology from the deputy, and if the Sheriff is pushing this crap I will go from merely intending to vote for another candidate to actively campaigning for them!

If they want to make notes on their computer regards my having a CCW or anything else, let them make a note that reads "DOES NOT CONSENT TO WARANT-LESS SEARCH OR ANY OTHER ABROGATION OF CIVIL RIGHTS"!

So tired of the petty bullshit efforts to "Bust" the citizens while the genuine criminals are ignored.
Recently had $8K of property stolen, when I reported it I could not even get a list of scrap yards from them to use in looking for my stuff.
That list would be just too much effort and not a revenue stream for the county.
EOR
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It seems Metro has upped their piss off the public tactics recently.  Last week i had a Bike cop just pull out in front of me, didnt stop for the stop sign at Flamingo and Jones heading west of Flamingo  Hit the brakes, and with habit, hit the horn for a quick burst.  He proceeds to pull me over from in front of me, after i made a right turn on to Jones.

Comes up to the window and asks if i have any weapons in the car.  When i respond No, he said may i check to make sure.  I said nope.  
Then he asks for License and Registration.  I hand him both plus the insurance card.  He asked "Are you fucking stupid.  I didnt ask for insurance. Learn to listen."  
Me being in shock, i asked that is against to law to use the shoulder as a turn lane?  
Now this is a section that i have seen hundreds of cars use to make a right turn, probably done it a couple hundred myself.

Talk about a BS ticket.  Trying to decide if i should go record some cars doing exactly what i did, and fight the ticket.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Multiple insults = file a formal complaint with the department.
Mention his failure to stop too, taxpayers should not have to pay for his pending medical or funeral.
Sounds like he knew he F'd up and took it out on you rather than admit his mistake.

At least my evenings stalker was civil about it.
Yea, stalker, following for miles is BS, if there is a legitimate reason for a stop there is no reason to delay.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

OK, fine here they are.

EOR
View Quote

So you're driving around with expired tags and shocked you got pulled over?  Bro for someone who hates the police as much as you...you just invited them into your life.....

Your biggest complaint is the cop who stopped you wanted to know if you had a gun with you?  Its pretty standard that if the cops thinks you may have a gun with you...he d want to know where that gun is...its a safety thing.  Id be shocked if a cop stopped me, knew i had a gun (or suspected) and didn't ask where it was.....

Are they issuing "Citizen ID and Criminal ID" up north?  Down south they just issue IDs.   The cops have to have contact with citizens to figure out if they are also criminals or not.  It would be nice if they were just presorted tho...
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#6]
What's a "warrant-less visual search"?

Legal standing and within plain view needs a warrant?
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

File a complaint. Make sure you are honest in your complaint though, as traffic officers are known to record all of their stops. While it isn't viewed as filing a false police report, filing a false complaint can lead to civil action.

The law used to allow you to travel in the marked lane, but people complained and the legislature changed it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you receive a confirmation email or did you print the page? Were you charged for the registration?

There are no "notes" on computers about CCW. It is a state permit and regulated by the state. The state chooses to maintain an electronic record accessible by law enforcement. When they run your name, it comes up.

The Nevada method of record keeping is what is being used to push for a nationalized standard. It allows any LE agency to access the system and verify the validity of the permit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

OPENING MY PASSENGER DOOR without my express permission for a better look is crossing the line!
It's not "Plain View" when they open doors to see more.

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So you're driving around with expired tags and shocked you got pulled over?  Bro for someone who hates the police as much as you...you just invited them into your life.....

Your biggest complaint is the cop who stopped you wanted to know if you had a gun with you?  Its pretty standard that if the cops thinks you may have a gun with you...he d want to know where that gun is...its a safety thing.  Id be shocked if a cop stopped me, knew i had a gun (or suspected) and didn't ask where it was.....

Are they issuing "Citizen ID and Criminal ID" up north?  Down south they just issue IDs.   The cops have to have contact with citizens to figure out if they are also criminals or not.  It would be nice if they were just presorted tho...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, fine here they are.

EOR

I have four cars/trucks, so one registration or another seems to be due for renewal every week.
If NVDMV sent me a notice it got renewed, if not it may have been missed.
Hardly "Invite the man into your life" activity.

Exercising my 2A rights is NOT probable cause for either an interrogation or a warrant-less SEARCH of my vehicle.
This is still Nevada, I could have had firearms in the vehicle and NO PERMIT NEEDED so long as they are not "Concealed upon my person".
So what if his search had found firearms in my vehicle, what would he have done?
He did not ask until AFTER he did his search, and even if my pistol were laying on the seat there would have been no crime committed.
Even if I were carrying concealed, no crime, no reason to be searching my vehicle.
They already KNOW we have the permit, WTF are they searching for?
Seems like CCW holders are being targeted for additional scrutiny as a means to discourage CCW, or to up the stats on revoked permits before the next legislative session.
CCW holders are not the problem, if he were really concerned all he had to do was ask, WITHOUT abridging my 4A rights.

So my "Biggest Problem" is his illegal search of my vehicle and the flimsy pretext for it.
If you are OK with such activity do not be surprised if some day cops are going through YOUR car or house with a fine tooth comb because, "It was in plain sight" once they had the door open for no legitimate reason.
He had already stood at my drivers door for several minutes, he had already spent about fifteen minutes back at his vehicle, I could have BUILT a gun from parts in that time.
Criminals do not get CCW permits, CCW holders are not the ones they need to worry about.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#11]
1.) I understand what you are saying - however you – not DMV – is responsible for ensuring that your vehicles’ registration and insurance are current and updated on a regular basis.  An error on the part of Nevada DVM; not mailing out to you on a timely manner your new vehicle’s registration and license plate validation decal is not a defense against having an expired vehicle registration.

2.) Never, ever, give law enforcement permission to search your vehicle!  Even the most passive verbal response that can be interpreted as permission to search, such as, “…it’s open” can be used to search your vehicle.  See http://www.flexyourrights.org on the internet and YouTube for more information.  Remember, law enforcement can lie to you and trick you into giving them permission to search.  Do not fall for it.  I think this deputy sheriff was just guessing using aggressive verbal commands to get a response from you – which he did.

3.) Verbal assurances from an unnamed and unknown representative at one of the Nevada CCW forums is NOT binding on law enforcement.  Whatever declarations that this representative made at one of the Nevada CCW forums gave you; and us, can be blown out your ass!  It means nothing, especially to this Deputy Sheriff that stopped you.  What is binding on law enforcement are statutes, policies and procedures, or court rulings.  I know of no statute or court rulings that does not allow law enforcement to ask you if you have any weapons.  And I cannot perceive of any law enforcement agency policies and procedure that would prohibit this either.

4.) Immediately file and complaint with the Sheriff.  Write everything down now, while it is fresh in your mind and file and then file the complaint.  To file a complaint, you do not need a special form, write a complaint letter and mail it to the sheriff via certified mail.  In Nevada, the rural law enforcement agencies do not have any formal oversight or office misconduct broads; so, it entirely up to the sheriff as to what, if anything, he wants to do about your complaint.  Consider contacting the ACLU or consulting with private counsel.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

What area or agency was this?  Its almost like we need our own dash-mounted cameras for protection nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What area or agency was this? Its almost like we need our own dash-mounted cameras for protection nowadays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What area or agency was this? Its almost like we need our own dash-mounted cameras for protection nowadays.

With the new non-injury related accident policy in place you do.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What area or agency was this?  Its almost like we need our own dash-mounted cameras for protection nowadays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Question, which County Sheriff's Office are you talking about?
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Did you receive a confirmation email or did you print the page? Were you charged for the registration?

There are no "notes" on computers about CCW. It is a state permit and regulated by the state. The state chooses to maintain an electronic record accessible by law enforcement. When they run your name, it comes up.

The Nevada method of record keeping is what is being used to push for a nationalized standard. It allows any LE agency to access the system and verify the validity of the permit.
View Quote

When you say any law enforcement agency...could/does that include the California Highway Patrol or any other California law enforcement agencies?  

I happen to live right near the border and have always wondered what they might see on their computer if I was to be pulled over...  
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When you say any law enforcement agency...could/does that include the California Highway Patrol or any other California law enforcement agencies?  

I happen to live right near the border and have always wondered what they might see on their computer if I was to be pulled over...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe there is state sharing...yet.  That is part of the push he is referring to, for future implementation.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

OPENING MY PASSENGER DOOR without my express permission for a better look is crossing the line!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

like a schmuck I say "It's open"

Evil JBT flashlight search. File a complaint, these northern NV guys are outta control! I'd donate $20 for a RichardSIA dashcam if we received weekly videos.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

If we are lucky, they will someday. That means they honor our state permits and must be able to verify their validity.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If we are lucky, they will someday. That means they honor our state permits and must be able to verify their validity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like a best case scenario...and since we are dealing with California I'm not holding my breath.

Would be nice to be legal though...till then I'll just keep smiling sweetly and lying smoothly.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I agree with Mp5 , it is up to you to make sure your registration on your vehicle is up to date.

If your tag wasn't expired , you probably wouldn't have got stopped.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Yah, I deserve skinning alive for missing one of several  annual registration dates.

The petty stop is not the issue, the abrogation of my civil rights is.
This sort of crap requires a response to prevent it becoming the normal routine.
The more "LE" get away with this type of activity the more they will EXPECT to do it without question in the future.
I'm not the one issue guy some think, I support ALL of our civil rights.

I would normally know better than to say "It's open", I was tired after a long day and knew there was NOTHING for them to see.
Got sloppy after a few years of not dealing with them, I'm awake now, bought a recorder to clip to my sun-visor in case of any future stop.
Printing out a card stating "I do NOT consent to a search or any other abrogation of my civil rights".
It goes into the same holder as the DL as a reminder to never trust a cop.

Douglas County this time.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I agree with Mp5 , it is up to you to make sure your registration on your vehicle is up to date.

View Quote

Bingo.

Maybe you shouldn't violate the NRS, then there's no need for someone to stop you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Bingo.

Maybe you shouldn't violate the NRS, then there's no need for someone to stop you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

If there were a genuine "Need" to stop me why follow me for so long?
Over four miles, clearly more a fishing expedition than anything else.
For just an expired tag her was no "Need" to follow me at all, could have flipped on the lights immediately.
Bad move just before an election, I have a long memory.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 1:00:28 AM EDT
[#24]
It sounds like the cop should have just cited you for the lack of registration, towed your ride and then searched it "Legally" while noting all the contents on the inventory of the vehicle.  That way he wouldn't have to deal with your bullshit complaint...
Sounds like you're trying to teach your cops up north to be dicks....he cut you slack and you file a complaint.  The lesson he ll learn is to just cite you, tow your ride and search it that way.  If that was really his goal.  He would have done just that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:04:16 AM EDT
[#25]

I don't believe there is state sharing...yet.  That is part of the push he is referring to, for future implementation.
View Quote

They share with Nellis (all Feds?).  I checked through a visitor gate.  The guard ran my DL and asked "Do you have your concealed weapon on you or in your car."
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For just an expired tag her was no "Need" to follow me at all, could have flipped on the lights immediately.
View Quote

Maybe he was checking to see if the registration was valid. Waiting on a dispatcher can take time. They prioritize things and the expiration of the plate may not be one of them.

Now, think of something else. Your expiration sticker showed it was expired. He took the time to actually check with DMV BEFORE stopping you. He took the extra step before making the stop. He wanted to make sure you actually violated the law and did not use the registration sticker as proof of expired plates.

He actually did that right, which most people don't know. Now figure out why he was right
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It sounds like the cop should have just cited you for the lack of registration, towed your ride and then searched it "Legally" while noting all the contents on the inventory of the vehicle.  That way he wouldn't have to deal with your bullshit complaint...
Sounds like you're trying to teach your cops up north to be dicks....he cut you slack and you file a complaint.  The lesson he ll learn is to just cite you, tow your ride and search it that way.  If that was really his goal.  He would have done just that.
View Quote

they can't tow your ride for expired registration it's a fix it ticket and a small fine.

i can't see that the cop actually did anything wrong.

sorry but u had expired tags

you told him it's open

he's a dumbass trying to search your vehicle but who knows maybe you had a dead hooker on the floor or a few pounds of coke under the seat.

In this day and age it's basically your responsibility to know your rights.

Unfortunately in this day and age there are a lot of leo who will use every trick in the book to legally subvert those rights.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Maybe he was checking to see if the registration was valid. Waiting on a dispatcher can take time. They prioritize things and the expiration of the plate may not be one of them.

Now, think of something else. Your expiration sticker showed it was expired. He took the time to actually check with DMV BEFORE stopping you. He took the extra step before making the stop. He wanted to make sure you actually violated the law and did not use the registration sticker as proof of expired plates.

He actually did that right, which most people don't know. Now figure out why he was right
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the fifteen minutes I sat at the roadside while he parked behind me in his car was for what?
Civil rights, Constitution are supreme Law of the land, not a mere suggestion.
Many have died to defend this principle, I will not abandon it.

Found and printed this professionally written  notice , now attached to the vehicle registration.
Truncated in case of copyright but the idea is clear.
Will also serve to keep me sharp,

"Assertion of Rights:
Officer, please understand:
I refuse to talk to you until I consult with my attorney.
I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects.
I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone.
I desire to exercise all my rights guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this State, to be free from your interference with my person or affairs.
If you attempt to question me, I want my lawyer present. I refuse to participate in any line-up or to perform any physical acts, or to speak or display my person or property at your direction, ........
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Bingo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ON A POGO STICK….

I once believed this, too. My experiences don't bear that out. LEOs know how to create and defend PC. "suspicious activity"… "Vehicle matches the description of…"   "smelled the distinctive smell of ________ emanating from the vehicle and based on my training as a DRO, I was able to ascertain that the subject fit the profile commonly associated with______"… Marijuana is the gateway drug only in the sense that it's the gateway for cops to get into any aspect of your life.

If you think you can go throughout the day not breaking any fucking laws, good on ya. If you can do it in a way that an LEO that wishes to make contact with you is so frustrated by your infallibility, then god bless you sir.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So the fifteen minutes I sat at the roadside while he parked behind me in his car was for what?
Civil rights, Constitution are supreme Law of the land, not a mere suggestion.
Many have died to defend this principle, I will not abandon it.

Found and printed this professionally written  notice , now attached to the vehicle registration.
Truncated in case of copyright but the idea is clear.
Will also serve to keep me sharp,

"Assertion of Rights:
Officer, please understand:
I refuse to talk to you until I consult with my attorney.
I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects.
I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone.
I desire to exercise all my rights guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this State, to be free from your interference with my person or affairs.
If you attempt to question me, I want my lawyer present. I refuse to participate in any line-up or to perform any physical acts, or to speak or display my person or property at your direction, ........
View Quote

Dispatchers are slow. It may take time for them to check you for warrants, the validity of your permit, the validity of your license, why your plates were expired (if a suspension was there too), and if they should let you drive down the road and continue to violate the law or tow your car, which is the liability aspect talking.

Now, your notice is quite nice. How is he to know why your plates are expired or if you sent it in, if you don't tell him? While this does not matter, it may get you out of a ticket. On the other side, if you refuse to talk he will not be able to verify your understanding of the citation and the requirement for you to sign, which is only an option as you can choose not to sign and immediately go before a magistrate. Your desire to continue to operate, as in this case, in direct violation of the law shows you are ignoring your citation and an arrest is permitted.

BTW, your desire to use your phone is a safety issue. Your "reasonable opportunity" is not "immediate". You do not have the option of refusing to participate in a line-up, provided it is done at your current location. If they move you, they need consent or PC. You are correct here.

These are some thoughts and not what I would necessarily do with a good difficult person. You need to look at the other side of the coin. LE should be a reflection of what the officer is dealing with. Good person=good officer response. Difficult person=difficult response. Your notice pushes some issues beyond what actually occurs at a traffic stop. For traffic, I have never seen an attorney show up and I have never talked to an attorney. For all I know you could be calling your Aunt Judy, who took a paralegal course in 1972. I have only had one case where an attorney showed up. He told his client to give us consent and cooperate fully, as he was screwed anyways.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

You are in the right , everyone else is wrong and all LE are out to get you , good thing you aren't allergic to tinfoil.

Now if your truck was stolen , or your plate was stolen and being used on another vehicle , and the officer made a stop and caught the criminal , you would be happy as hell wouldn't you. Granted not all cops have good bedside manner , but then neither does all doctors , clerks , gunsmiths or salesman.

I learned as a child , give respect , get respect. Give someone attitude , expect to get attitude in return.

Officer was doing his job, plain and simple. He noticed something that needed checked out , he checked it out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You are in the right , everyone else is wrong and all LE are out to get you , good thing you aren't allergic to tinfoil.

Now if your truck was stolen , or your plate was stolen and being used on another vehicle , and the officer made a stop and caught the criminal , you would be happy as hell wouldn't you. Granted not all cops have good bedside manner , but then neither does all doctors , clerks , gunsmiths or salesman.

I learned as a child , give respect , get respect. Give someone attitude , expect to get attitude in return.

Officer was doing his job, plain and simple. He noticed something that needed checked out , he checked it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

For just an expired tag ther was no "Need" to follow me at all, could have flipped on the lights immediately.

If my truck was stolen the stripped shell could be dumped in the sheriff''s parking lot and the cops would STILL not catch the thieves!
No revenue stream, no interest in making an effort.
As posted above, $8K of goods recently stolen and I doubt they made any effort at all.

I'm restraining myself from an epic get myself banned rant here!
For those of you who see no violation on the deputies part I hope you can keep that Pollyanna disposition when this sort of infringement of YOUR 4A rights becomes the absolute norm.
What is the next step, roadside strip search?
Or pay the "Fine" directly to the officer, since he is infallible and you are automatically known to be guilty, like Chicago?
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#33]
" />
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For those of you who see no violation on the deputies part I hope you can keep that Pollyanna disposition when this sort of infringement of YOUR 4A rights becomes the absolute norm.
Or pay the "Fine" directly to the officer, since he is infallible and you are automatically known to be guilty, like Chicago?
View Quote

In some places you do have to post bail immediately. Some places even have credit card machines in the patrol cars, so you can pay your warrants on the spot.

Why was he looking inside? Looking for the VIN, manufacturer sticker with VIN on it, or?

Was there a violation? Maybe. We are receiving one side of the story and it would be nice to have both sides. Was he concerned about your disposition and potential presence of firearms?
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In some places you do have to post bail immediately. Some places even have credit card machines in the patrol cars, so you can pay your warrants on the spot.

Why was he looking inside? Looking for the VIN, manufacturer sticker with VIN on it, or?

Was there a violation? Maybe. We are receiving one side of the story and it would be nice to have both sides. Was he concerned about your disposition and potential presence of firearms?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was utterly friendly, a little too much so or I would have locked the damn door to prevent his ploy.
I was somewhat amused initially, really curious to see what pretext he would use for the stop after following me for so long when I was sure I had done NOTHING wrong.
If I had not been tired and it had not been so many years since similar BS he would not have gotten away with it.
Now I feel sucker-punched and want to know if this abuse of "Plain sight" is his initiative or something the sheriff is encouraging.
The search makes little or no sense, and he did it BEFORE asking about my firearm.
Opened the passenger door, looked in the seat, in front of the seat, and I presume under the seat, I could not see him perfectly with the light somewhat in my eyes.

I got the $138.00 ticket, registered the truck last night (Why does an automated system have strange limited hours?) and plan to submit my inquiry/complaint in the morning after I submit the proof of registration.
I expect to be blown off, if so I will certainly be interviewing the other sheriff candidates.
First real election for that office in many years, seems way overdue.
Supposed to be an elected office, not an entitlement handed down from the previous administration as seems to be the norm here.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:35:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still waiting for an answer, which County Sheriff's Office are we talking about?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:57:23 AM EDT
[#37]
This thread is more than I can stand. I have been pulled over several times here in southern Nevada over the past 10 years generally for speeding and once for a reckless. The officers were always respectful and professional . It was a pleasure to have such a positive encounter with LEOs considering why I was getting pulled over. And in every case I got off with warning to slow down with not one question about CCW. Maybe some of you here should try to loose the attitude and put yourself in there shoes. How many BS stories and internet Lawyers  can you listen to every day before you start getting a bit jaded. Are some cops dicks? Sure but so are some members here so take a moment and show some compassion for your fellow Nevadan.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#38]
He posted- Douglas County

About 3/4 the way down the first page.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

again you pretty much consented to a search when you said it's open. Was the cop fishing in looking in your vehicle? yes. Did he violate your rights? No, you consented.

Growing up in a small town in new york there were plenty of occasions where the local leo found whatever excuse they wanted to turn out my pockets not a strip search but they definitely violated my rights with that shit. I haven't seen anything close to that since being in nv.

It is actually quite a convenience to be able to pay a constable directly. They had a warrant on my x cause she let a friend borrow her car and they got some ticket they didn't take care of.
options were her going to jail bla bla bla or let the constable swipe my card you bet your sweet ass I'm gonna pay up there.

I get it, it's a pain in the ass, cop took advantage of you to get consent to search. It would put me in a bad mood too. A different sheriff in most likelihood wouldn't make a lick of difference in your situation. That deputy aint getting shit canned when he followed procedure and searched your car after getting consent and the deputies aren't going to get micromanaged on their discretion of PC. You're tilting at windmills
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
He posted- Douglas County

About 3/4 the way down the first page.
View Quote

OK, thanks!  Douglas County Sheriff's Office, I can believe it!  
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

Maybe he was running your plates to verify that you were indeed expired and his MDT froze, or dispatch was slow, or whatever. I don't stop people for displaying expired, as the majority of the time the plates are current and the sticker is still attached to the new registration, sitting in the glove box. Or maybe he ran your plates, found that there was a "caution" attached to it due to the CCW, or prior criminal activity, or whatever, and was getting whatever info he felt he needed prior to making the stop. The LEO can take however long he wants to make a traffic stop, but usually if there is a delay before the stop is initiated, it's for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Consider maybe he was doing a records check on your registration to give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes to whether your sticker was just old (or in some cases they are commonly stolen) so he wanted to see if the DMV showed current registration and your sticker was just old (which is STILL a traffic violation).

His system probably showed the CCW registration so also consider he suspects you are most likely armed.  It is your responsibility to comply with LE when it comes to showing your CCW permit(s) and information if you are carrying your firearm.  Reach the Nevada CCW laws.  LE does NOT need a reason to ask for your CCW permits if they're already on a legal stop.  

Also consider Nevada law recognizes "vehicle frisks" as legal WITHOUT a search warrant.  He could have justified pulling you out of the vehicle and frisking the immediate area around the drivers seat for any weapons, written you a ticket, and then placed you back in the car.  Plus, there is no requirement for a "flashlight search" plenty of case law on that.  Maybe he couldn't read your VIN# on the dash and wanted to see it on the door, again legally allowed by law.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#43]
OK, I get it!
Our civil rights are just silly putty to be stretched and manipulated any way LE sees fit!
I must be one of those damn "Constitutionalist" domestic terrorist Dingy Reid was ranting about!

I repeat, this was weird since the deputy had plenty of time to "Run my plates/VIN' while following me.
He did his search gambit BEFORE asking about my "CCW/Weapon" and NEVER looked at the VIN at all.
I could have any firearm including NFA in the vehicle and still remain legal, this is NOT Kalifornia.
Since he searched BEFORE asking about my firearm, I would NOT have been guilty of lying to him on a question he had not asked yet!

At the least he's a dumb-ass for his poor procedure.
At worst he's a jack-boot punk carrying out a policy of oppression on instruction of the sheriff in violation of his oath to uphold the constitution.

This little episode HAS provided me with a question or two to ask the Sheriff candidates, but being politicians they will probably lie.
Yah know, since all who are not cops are automatically suspects, SCOTUS has already ruled that their lying to us is OK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top