Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2017 2:31:22 PM EDT
Haven't been there in fifteen years and will be up for the Irish Festival next month. I'm staying downtown near the venue and won't have wheels.

Good German restaurant recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Mader's if you want fancy. It's one of the best in North America, but IMO you end up paying more for the ambiance.

Old German Beer Hall if you want a more relaxed pub style feel. Prices are awesome and the food/beer is great. They also serve breakfast on the weekends.

Both are on old world 3rd St.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mader's if you want fancy. It's one of the best in North America, but IMO you end up paying more for the ambiance.

Old German Beer Hall if you want a more relaxed pub style feel. Prices are awesome and the food/beer is great. They also serve breakfast on the weekends.

Both are on old world 3rd St.
View Quote
Fantastic. Thank you.

I think it was Mader's I visited in '02.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Karl Ratzsch's was downtown too, but they recently closed.  Mader's is good, but a bit pricey.

A new option, not downtown, but not far, is the Bavarian Bierhaus, about 10 minutes north of downtown just off I-43.

Great food, decent prices and the closest to German beer on tap I have had outside of Germany (aside from the German Beer hall which has Hofbrau, but that is the tourist's German beer).  They make their own beers.  Good brunch on Sundays too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Karl Ratzsch's was downtown too, but they recently closed.  Mader's is good, but a bit pricey.

A new option, not downtown, but not far, is the Bavarian Bierhaus, about 10 minutes north of downtown just off I-43.

Great food, decent prices and the closest to German beer on tap I have had outside of Germany (aside from the German Beer hall which has Hofbrau, but that is the tourist's German beer).  They make their own beers.  Good brunch on Sundays too.
View Quote
Karl Ratzsch's! That's where I went. It was outstanding.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I must have glossed over you not having wheels while up here in your original post.  

Karl Ratzsch's was closer to Summerfest grounds.

If you are looking for something similar to Karl Ratzsch's, Maders is the next best bet.  It is still a hike, but downtown at least. About 30 minute walk from Summerfest grounds (Henry Maier Festival park) and you can do most of the walk along the Milwaukee River Walk.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I must have glossed over you not having wheels while up here in your original post.  

Karl Ratzsch's was closer to Summerfest grounds.

If you are looking for something similar to Karl Ratzsch's, Maders is the next best bet.  It is still a hike, but downtown at least. About 30 minute walk from Summerfest grounds (Henry Maier Festival park) and you can do most of the walk along the Milwaukee River Walk.
View Quote
Mader's it likely will be.

No longer staying downtown, but saving a boatload of money by moving 8 miles from the venue.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are mobile, the Bavarian Bierhaus is a solid choice.  Parking is plentiful and no charge, unlike downtown.  Not as fancy as Mader's, more the traditional beer hall.  To my earlier comments on the quality of the beer and food I would add that their Friday fish fry is supposed to be a good one for this area. I don't eat fish, so I can't comment personally.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you are mobile, the Bavarian Bierhaus is a solid choice.  Parking is plentiful and no charge, unlike downtown.  Not as fancy as Mader's, more the traditional beer hall.  To my earlier comments on the quality of the beer and food I would add that their Friday fish fry is supposed to be a good one for this area. I don't eat fish, so I can't comment personally.
View Quote
Uber will be friend. I can do both.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Made it to Milwaukee.

Mader's and Bavarian Bierhaus. Any other restaurant recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#10]
(Edited:  Wife thought of couple more that belong for future reference, though probably too far away for Op's purposes on this trip. Rearranged.)

That really depends on your tastes and where your travels take you.  But, FWIW, if you choose to look these places up, they please the discerning palate.

If you haven't been, one of the local "fun" places to go, not necessarily the best food, is the Safe House.  (downtown)

BBQ
Iron Grate BBQ (just reopened at their new location.  Voted best BBQ in state.  Have to agree.)
Milwaukee Smoked BBQ (South Side, near iron grate.  Good meat, sides nothing to write home about, no seating except one picnic table)
Smoke Shack (downtown, good brunch)

Ramen
Tochi Ramen (West Bend, but the best in ramen.  If you like ramen, worth the trip)
Red Light Ramen (North of Downtown)

Brunch/Breakfast
Engine Company 3 (Downtown, Breakfast/Brunch)
McBob's (West/Tosa, open all day, good brunch and Bloody Mary's)

Tapas
Odd Duck (near south/KK neighborhood)
La Merenda (near south)
Good Kind (Bay View)
Story Hill BKC (west of downtown, stadium area, Good brunch, good food all day, mid afternoon only fingerfood)

Pizza
Pizza Man (upper east side. Roman style pizza, extensive wine selection)
Ian's Pizza (couple locations.  open late.  quick slice. unusual flavors)
Brick 3 Pizza (Downtown by Maders. quick slice)

Thai
Thai A. Kitchen (north of downtown.  Thai)
Thai-Namite (North of downtown. Thai)
Thai Bar-B-Q (southwest of downtown. Thai)

Burgers
Kopp's (Northshore and Brookfield. Burgers, custard, awesomeness.)
Crafty Cow (KK/near south. Stuffed burgers.)

Misc
Benji's  (Shorewood. If you like corn beef or pastrami...hard to beat)
Cafe Corazon (Riverwest or Bayview.  Get the mechada. Only Mexican I will eat aside from the mexican food trucks on the south side)
ono kine grindz (Tosa.  Hawaiian)
Le Reve (Tosa.  French)
Seoul Restaurant (North of downtown. Korean)
Cubanitas (Downtown.  Cuban)
Mason Street Grill (Downtown.  Known for steak)
Northpoint Custard (On Lincoln Memorial. Literally a shack on the lake.  American.)
Jack Pandl's (Northshore. German)
Bavarian Bierhaus (Glendale.  Sunday brunch. serve food all day, beers made in house)
Comet Cafe (North of Downtown. American. Bacon specialty.)
Maxie's (West of Downtown.  Carolinas, Creole and Cajun cooking of Louisiana; southern comfort food.)
County Clare (Downtown. Irish.)

Outside Town
the cheel (Thiensville. Himalayen/Idaho fusion, Friday fish fry. Stellar.)
Falafel Guys (Thiensville. Middle Eastern.  Awesome.  Only disappointment is they do not carry Ayran.)
Chen's Gourmet Chinese Restaurant (Menomonee Falls. The only Chinese in the area that deserves to use the word gourmet.  We are not talking Din Tai Fung level, but it's good.)
Tochi Ramen (West Bend, but the best in ramen.  If you like ramen, worth the trip)

And on and on.  There are some good places here. There are also some "trendy" places like Cafe Hollander, or anything from the Lowlands Group, Bel Air Cantina, etc.  They're good too I guess. Not in our normal rotation.  If they don't rank at least a 7 out of 10 in our records, not on this list.  (Ironically, we started rating places to eat when we were in Ireland and we were comparing the Irish breakfasts at the B&Bs that we stayed at.)

Wisconsin is known for Friday Fish Fries too, but I can't really comment.  Don't eat anything fishy.  I have heard Lakefront Brewery and the Bavarian Bierhaus have good fish fries.  North of town in Thiensville, Chuck's Place is locally known for their all you can eat Friday fish fry.  My wife says Chuck's is good too.

I'd extend some Wisconsin courtesy and buy you a beer or three since you will be in my hood, but not sure where we will be this weekend ourselves yet.  My wife indicated she wants to try to go to Iron Grate tonight, but she hasn't let me in on the rest of the weekend plan yet.

ETA: Wife reviewed list and commented it was missing At Random.  South side, nearish.  They only do alcoholic ice cream drinks.  Place is old school.  Fun. Call before going in to make sure they are open, but recollection is they are open late.

And Iron Grate was awesome. Even though they were sold out of half their menu by the time we got there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Iron Grate is a must and you missed the best brunch in town, Mad Rooster.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That really depends on your tastes and where your travels take you.  But, FWIW, if you choose to look these places up, they please the discerning palate.

If you haven't been, one of the local "fun" places to go, not necessarily the best food, is the Safe House.  (downtown)

BBQ
Iron Grate BBQ (just reopened at their new location.  Voted best BBQ in state.  Have to agree.)
Milwaukee Smoked BBQ (South Side, near iron grate.  Good meat, sides nothing to write home about, no seating except one picnic table)

Ramen

Brunch/Breakfast

Tapas
La Merenda (near south)
Good Kind (Bay View)
Story Hill BKC (west of downtown, stadium area, Good brunch, good food all day, mid afternoon only fingerfood)

Pizza
Pizza Man (upper east side. Pizza, extensive wine selection)

Thai

Misc
Cafe Corazon (Riverwest or Bayview.  Get the mechada. Only Mexican I will eat aside from the mexican food trucks on the south side)
Crafty Cow (KK/near south)
Le Reve (Tosa.  French)
Upper 90 Sports Pub (downtown.  American.) Wife said no, going through some changes.
The Pub Club (Downtown, by Maders. same people as Upper 90. American) Wife said no, going through some changes.
Northpoint Custard (On Lincoln Memorial. Literally a shack on the lake.  American.)
Bavarian Bierhaus (Glendale.  Sunday brunch. serve food all day, beers made in house)

And on and on.  There are some good places here.  

I'd extend some Wisconsin courtesy and buy you a beer or three since you will be in my hood, but not sure where we will be this weekend ourselves yet.  My wife indicated she wants to try to go to Iron Grate tonight, but she hasn't let me in on the rest of the weekend plan yet.

ETA: Wife reviewed list and commented it was missing At Random.  South side, nearish.  They only do alcoholic ice cream drinks.  Place is old school.  Fun. Call before going in to make sure they are open, but recollection is they are open late.

And Iron Grate was awesome. Even though they were sold out of half their menu by the time we got there.
View Quote
Awesome list.  I agree with a lot of what you listed EXCEPT Pizza Man.  I'll never understand how anyone can enjoy, this flat, burned, tasteless pizza.  I gave them a try twice (both times in their old location that burned down) and both were among the most disappointing dining experiences I've had.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

BBQ

Ramen

Brunch/Breakfast

Tapas
La Merenda (near south)
Good Kind (Bay View)

Pizza
Pizza Man (upper east side. Pizza, extensive wine selection)

Thai

Misc
Crafty Cow (KK/near south)
Le Reve (Tosa.  French)
Upper 90 Sports Pub (downtown.  American.) Wife said no, going through some changes.
The Pub Club (Downtown, by Maders. same people as Upper 90. American) Wife said no, going through some changes.

And on and on.  There are some good places here.  

View Quote
Thank you so much for taking the time for this sticky-worthy post! Good thing I'll be back again next year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't heard of Mad Rooster. Will have to ceck it out.

I have only been to Pizza Man at their new location, and typically only at brunch. Each time it has been very good. Their cheese curds, when they have them, are like the ones you get at the fairs, only better. I acknowledge the pizza is more Roman in style than American. Of course, the Friulana can go a long way to making anything taste good too.

ETA:  I just looked up where Mad Rooster is. Ironically I was just over there the other day for Target, saw the Mad Rooster with an overflowing parking lot and thought WTF? Never heard of this place and yet it is clearly hopping. Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out.

ETA2: Mad Rooster reminded me of Blue's Egg. Except Mad Rooster has an eclectic decor.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:25:22 AM EDT
[#15]
WICOUNSEL, that's a good list.  The only thing I might add for a lunchtime junk food option is Kopp's Burgers and Oakland Gyros. Both are like crack! You mentioned The Cheel.  Did you happen to notice that it was named the #1 fish fry in all of Milwaukee in the 2017 'Best Of' in Milwaukee Magazine?  What the What?  It beat everything in Milwaukee County!  Anyone had it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
WICOUNSEL, that's a good list.  The only thing I might add for a lunchtime junk food option is Kopp's Burgers and Oakland Gyros. Both are like crack! You mentioned The Cheel.  Did you happen to notice that it was named the #1 fish fry in all of Milwaukee in the 2017 'Best Of' in Milwaukee Magazine?  What the What?  It beat everything in Milwaukee County!  Anyone had it?
View Quote
The Cheel is currently my wife's favorite.  They do some creative stuff and are very keyed in to making everything perfect.  Good flavors.  As I said before, I am not a fish guy, but my wife says it is quite good at the cheel.  I think they have won the number 1 spot a few years running if I am not mistaken.

You are absolutely right, Kopp's does have some great burgers and is list worthy. Gyro Palace is near me so I haven't been to Oakland Gyros since I lived on Downer years ago during law school.  Seem to recall it was good.  Might have to revisit.

And as a general warning to others, Bklyn_Irish said the Bavarian Bierhaus was a let down for him.  Obviously the list is just our opinion (though a few have been confirmed by others as well), so go at your own risk to any of these.  We have always enjoyed it there, but to each their own.  It is much more relaxed than the places downtown.  On the other hand, maybe the Irish just can't appreciate the quality bier of Bavaria...

Bklyn_Irish also mentioned brunch at the Ironhorse.  Also very good.  Cool place, love the artwork in the rooms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top