Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2017 9:33:17 PM EDT
I grew up in Madison, but haven't been back in a long, long time.  A buddy and I were trying to remember the name of an old gun shop out on the east side.  I'm pretty sure it was a Sun Prairie address, past east town on 151.  Near, or just past the old sergio's bar seems to ring a bell, but I'm drawing a blank on the name.  It was a one man show back then, guy that ran the place was bald.  I bought an M-1 carbine there in '85, right after I turned 18.

Anyone remember the place?

And is G.A. Wakkinen still in business in Waunakee?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The Ammo Can
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it was the Ammo Box.

I bought my first gun there in the 90s.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Ammo Box-Still open but new owner and new location.  Article

G.A. Wakkinen-Still open but very limited hours I believe.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks All!  I think thats the place.  As I think about it, I believe the original owner was named Don.  Potter or porter maybe.

Small world, I know the lady that wrote that linked article, she was one of my students when I was a flight instructor.  I flew with her dad also,
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I could have sworn I went into a small house on the corner "in town - Madison propper" that had a policy of one person in the walkway at a time. It was super tiny with only a place for one person to stand at the top of the stairs.

Am I nuts?

V
OUT
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could have sworn I went into a small house on the corner "in town - Madison propper" that had a policy of one person in the walkway at a time. It was super tiny with only a place for one person to stand at the top of the stairs.

Am I nuts?

V
OUT
View Quote
Was that "Grandpa's Gun Shop" or something like that?  He was the last gun shop holdout in the thick of Madison.  Think he ended up retiring and of course nobody wanted to deal with the political BS of trying to operate a business behind enemy lines.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Was that "Grandpa's Gun Shop" or something like that?  He was the last gun shop holdout in the thick of Madison.  Think he ended up retiring and of course nobody wanted to deal with the political BS of trying to operate a business behind enemy lines.
View Quote
+1!

V
OUT
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it was the Ammo box. Got my first 'surp there, a Swedish mauser. I took it to Rusk gun shop asking them to make some "sporterized" changes (bolt handle). I never heard back from them, and forgot about it eventually.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Trygve ("Trig") of the Ammo Box passed away a few years ago.  I think he sold the place before that.  Fellow Madison East grad, though several years earlier than I.

Gerry is open Tuesdays and Thursdays.  New shop is 806 Division St.  The old location is a Kwik Trip.

Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
+1!

V
OUT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1!

V
OUT
That place was on Williamson (Willy St.), correct?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top