Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2017 2:31:40 PM EDT
So, just bought a small plot of land up near Prentice and I was hoping someone could let me know what I've gotten myself into. Mostly going to be used for hunting/shooting/outdoor recreation.

Not gonna live there anytime soon, but I expect my dad will be spending a lot of time in the area now that he's retired.

So what do I need to know? Where's got the best eats, local spots, etc? Best cell phone coverage in the area?

I know about Mondeaux natural area, but that's about it.

I assume Medford is gonna be my closest medium sized town if I need to pick up anything.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi. Welcome to the Northwoods. Depending upon how close to Prentice you are, you may find Phillips a handy place to go to.  It's about 14 miles north of Prentice. It's the county seat for Price county so it has a good sized grocery store, a couple of sporting good stores that have guns, ammo and fishing supplies and a number of good restaurants.  Some of our favorites include; Meister's for really good tavern burgers,  Lola's Lunchbox(food truck) for awesome lunches like Thai chicken tacos, Harbor View ribs and Roadside Bar and Grill fish fry.  Enjoy your time up here exploring the outdoors and other activities. Happy Hunting.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:06:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You can always go down to Medford...or hit Park Falls.
One of my best friends moved there when we were in 7th grade his dad bought the Mackey Spur Tap and my friend shot himself a really nice Canadian Lynx that had been raiding his trap line.
His dad sold the place to another guy I went to Jr High with...it's long gone now though.
We were up in the area last year...my mom had a summer place up in Phillips area...great grouse area you are in to.
Perkinstown is nice recreation area.
It's a nice area that isn't too touristy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Verizon for cell phones, but there are plenty of dead spots, more now that the trees are blooming.  I can text from here but can't take calls until I drive out and up from the river (South Fork Flambeau) outside of Phillips.

I won't set foot inside Harbor.  It's personal and fucking gross.  I like all the other places above.  Add Jammers in Phillips to the list, she can cook and he has a good personality.  Lots and lots of little rural bars to go hit, alcoholics paradise really.

The BEST tip I can give is hit Elk River Rods in the winter and buy rods off their warranty returns and repair rack.  Their rods are worth the money, but walking out with one 75% off is fabulous.

The Rstore in Phillips, where Lola's parks their trailer, has some good cheeses.  Mostly Vern's.  If you drive up from the south, hit the cheese shop in Colby too!

North of Phillips is a town called Fifield.  The little grocery there.......the owner is as gifted a butcher that you will ever find, and his prices match local groceries.  Not close to Prentice, but if you go to Park Falls to hit St. Croix Rod factory store, stop in there........if nothing else, buy his bacon.

If your dad likes to shoot sporting clays, there is a good club near your property.

If he likes to fish, there are some small ponds and lakes up here the DNR stuffs full of trout.  The Jump River is good too and near you.

This area is awesome

PS I'm trying to remember where a nice little DNR range is down there?  It might be in the NW quad of the intersection of 8 and 13?  If he needs a decent place to shoot until you open up a lane.  Best public range in the area is just NE of Park Falls and you can set up steel there too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info guys! I'll definitely be heading up to Phillips and park falls at some point.

My dad will definitely want to shoot clays once his shoulder heals.

I'll check out darn near all the recommendations too. Definitely will get out to the Jump as well as everything else you guys recommended.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#5]
There was a "sports club" off of hwy 8 and I believe just east of Prentice that used to do a once a month pancake breakfast. Not sure if they still do this or the exact particulars.  Maybe someone else can help out. For the most part everything else has been covered. Plenty of good fishing in the area too. The Jump has always been one of my favorites. Keep some first aid supplies handy, trauma kit and the like. While the local first responders are likely very good at what they do, there is no hospital right around the corner..
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#6]
For those of you interested in the Jump.  There is a very casual canoe/kayak "race" event Sunday April 30th from Jump River to Sheldon.  Its publicized on Sheldon/Jump River and Ladysmith(Chamber) websites. I would say that at least for some of us its more of a social event than a race.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Just went to look up Jump River "Rosie" and see that she passed Sept 2016
That's a part of history gone..
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Outside of Rib Lake is South Harper Lake with a decent beach on the north end...we were looking at some property on that lake last year
its a pretty nice lake for swimming.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a cabin on an 80 SE of Prentice.
Coaches in Ogema has great tavern food. Raabs is OK, also in Ogema.
Happy Daze in Kennan on 8 as well has good food.
D's burger& bowl on HY A north of 8 is a decent place for a burger and a beer.
The guy who owns Sailors in Prentice is kind of a dick, I never go there.
The grocery store in Prentice just closed, so now it's Copps in Phillips.
There is a truck stop on 8 and 13 that has beer, booze, some frozen food, and some staples. Also a good restaurant for breakfast.
Harbor View in Phillips is good. Birch Island is good but a bit pricey for the area. The bowling alley in Phillips has good pizza.
Deer, bear, wolves, grouse, ducks, turkeys, yotes, otters etc. A lot of wildlife.
PM me if you want to head out for a beer some time or have any specific questions. I'll be headed over today.
Cops like to sit on 8 and 13 and fish for folks rolling through the stop sign, or sit at the waysides on 8 and 13 and look for speeders.
Best just to go the limit.
Hardware store in Prentice has pretty much everything you could need. Medford has a Wal Mart.
Closest hospital is either Park Falls or Tomahawk. Medford has one as well.
Be careful, it's no place to have an emergency.

edit...I have AT&T, and get 4G at my cabin. I'm 7 miles SE of Prentice.
Chequamegon Sportsman club has a range on HY 8 just east of HY 13 on the north side of the road just before the church.
Never been there as I shoot on my place, but they are still open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top