Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2017 10:16:35 AM EDT
Looking to build a custom home in Vilas co. and I am in Washington co. We are looking for a builder that would be convenient to work and meet with.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#1]
North Twin Builders  -Phelps
Everest Custom Homes -Minocqua
-we are currently working with them and like 'em.

We have a timber frame home built 18 yrs ago...going with one floor ranch this time.

talk to rfb45colt he is a Vilas County resident & locksmith probably works with more builders in your area than anyone else on the forum

Add Vilas County to your thread title that should get him to investigate or Eagle River area if thats where you are looking
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
North Twin Builders  -Phelps
Everest Custom Homes -Minocqua
-we are currently working with them and like 'em.

We have a timber frame home built 18 yrs ago...going with one floor ranch this time.

talk to rfb45colt he is a Vilas County resident & locksmith probably works with more builders in your area than anyone else on the forum

Add Vilas County to your thread title that should get him to investigate or Eagle River area if thats where you are looking
View Quote
I do a lot of work for Benson Builders in Land O Lakes. Good company.

And Visner builders of Conover/Eagle River. Another first class operation.

Another builder I do work for (in fact, he's on his way here right now to pick up some new locks I master keyed for one of his projects) is Hauswerks of Eagle River. Smaller company than Benson & Visner, but top notch owner, and the work they do is always done right. If I were hiring a contractor, this is the one I'd go to first... but I'm biased. We've been friends for 25 years. I'd trust this guy with my life.... the only one of the above I have on speed-dial in my cell.  

The 3 above have been in business here for decades, all are very trustworthy, none are "fly-by-night" shysters. They work mostly in eastern Vilas or Oneida counties, and western Forest county... from Land O Lakes down to Rhinelander, Phelps over to St. Germain... includes Eagle River, Conover, Three Lakes, Sugar Camp. If you're looking to build over by Lac Du Flambeau up to Presque Isle, Winchester, Manitowish Waters, Boulder Junction area, then these aren't your guys. You're better off getting someone out of Minocqua / Woodruff / Arbor Vitae area, and that, I cannot help you with.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Just sent Bruce an email...never hurts to get a 2nd opinion...
thanks for the tip.

OP whose your realtor ..if you don't mind asking'
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks rfb,
I'll give Jeff a call. We had a place next to him on Upper Buckatabon, but I thought he shut down after the auction.

No realtor, just some land near Arbor Vitae needing a structure.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks rfb,
I'll give Jeff a call. We had a place next to him on Upper Buckatabon, but I thought he shut down after the auction.

No realtor, just some land near Arbor Vitae needing a structure.
View Quote
They now occupy the old St. Peter church & rectory in Eagle River. They recently renovated both buildings (I did the lock master keying) and use them as offices. There's a daycare in the old convent.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I did shoot Bruce an email we would be out of his area...unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you folks above Hwy 8 have for snow cover anything at all other than in the deep woods or north sides of wooded hills?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I did shoot Bruce an email we would be out of his area...unfortunately.
View Quote
I thought so. He's very busy, and adding an extra half hour drive each way isn't cost effective.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What do you folks above Hwy 8 have for snow cover anything at all other than in the deep woods or north sides of wooded hills?
View Quote
You nailed it with "in the deep woods or north sides of wooded hills". My best guestimate would be 50% bare ground, 50% 4-6" snow (but in shaded areas only). Still lots of ice on the lakes but it's not "safe" ice, and the frost is still in the ground. Rained a bit the last few days, and nothing is soaking in, water ponding everywhere. Freezing rain expected overnight tonight.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You nailed it with "in the deep woods or north sides of wooded hills". My best guestimate would be 50% bare ground, 50% 4-6" snow (but in shaded areas only). Still lots of ice on the lakes but it's not "safe" ice, and the frost is still in the ground. Rained a bit the last few days, and nothing is soaking in, water ponding everywhere. Freezing rain expected overnight tonight.
View Quote
Thanks will be up on Thurs with our agent and builder gotta see what I can and can't do...got some big rocks I want bring in

While I got you on the line...any regs against surface drive motors on inland lakes there's an adjoining lake I would like to get into but the way in is weedy and shallow...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

While I got you on the line...any regs against surface drive motors on inland lakes there's an adjoining lake I would like to get into but the way in is weedy and shallow...
View Quote
Not that I know of. There's several guys with them that duck hunt the Rainbow on a regular basis. They are loud.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not that I know of. There's several guys with them that duck hunt the Rainbow on a regular basis. They are loud.
View Quote
Probably not the best way to make a good impression on new neighbors...

At least they don't exhaust gas into the water or cool with lake water....

I did find a Freedom Outboard...conventional outboard (I think Tohatsu) powerhead with a hybrid lower surface drive unit...if you can believe videos about as quiet
as any other 50hp outboard.

Reliability Service Sales got no idea...have to do more research for I would commit as they are pricey buggers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Talked to Jon today from Everest builders today...nice guy and there were a couple of his homes and buildings on the lake we were looking at.
Really a nice guy...builds good stuff...doesn't try to upsell you...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 on Hauswerks Eagle River. We have used them for 20 years, from minor remodeling to gutting the house and rebuilding. Outstanding quality and service. Dependable and on time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top