Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2017 2:50:10 PM EDT
Suzy's in Lomira.
Beer batter Haddock and Beer batter Shrimp.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The Goodman clubhouse. lemon pepper cod with the house special Jack Daniels sauce on the side.

ETA: The place is now closed  
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#2]
My house.  I prefer to cook it myself. 

Let me share a few recent outings.  I go to an upscale dinner club.  Friday night fish fish:  $20/ plate.  We have learned that if you go earlier in the evening, the oil is clean and hot which leads to better tasting fish.  We arrived about 5 pm and order fish.  I didn't eat lunch that day and was hungry.  This translates into me eating anything in front of me and not being picky.  The fish comes out, mildly warm and damn greasy.  I slam one piece down anyhow, but can't eat another.  I call over the owner and show him my dry hands and pick up a piece of fish and squeeze it and oil runs out of it on the plate.  He offers to not charge us and admits that the fish was probably under the heat lamps too long.  I pay my bill fully and leave the waitress a 20% tip even though she never comes over to check on us and I leave - NEVER to return.

Next:  highly recommended local fish location.  Waiter recommends fresh walleye.  Sounds good to this Wis fella.  I order one for my father as well as myself.  Dinner is served, my Dad starts to peel off the fish batter coating and red blood runs on his plate.  I like sushi, but that is not what I ordered for my elderly father. 

Bottom line:  I make better fish at my house than I can buy at any place that I can go.  I really wish there was a nice local place, but so far I am not happy with my choices.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I think double D's in mukwonago does a great fish fry.  Just got to go early.  If you go during the rush, you can end up with soggy fish.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in for suggestions. Specifically, anything other than cod, which is tasteless in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Beer batter Haddock is my favorite.  Walleye is second.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Haddock? Cod?  Good God, my native Wisconsin eyes are burning!  Perch at Wendt's, hands down.  Polka and fish fry at Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee 2nd. Opah is my local favorite but I happen to be in  Maui at the moment ??
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to really like Wolf's Inn on Post Lake but they went out....need to find a new place between Hazlehurst Woodruff Eagle River
2510 in Wausau had some of the best beer battered jumbo perch you ever feasted on...
Rocky Blair's dad had a bar in Appleton that had some awesome fish as well back in the day....if you could even get in on a Friday night.

Always go early 5PM get fresh hot oil no heat lamp fish
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haddock? Cod?  Good God, my native Wisconsin eyes are burning!  Perch at Wendt's, hands down.  Polka and fish fry at Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee 2nd. Opah is my local favorite but I happen to be in  Maui at the moment ??
View Quote

I have not found good perch locally.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree to a point.  Wendt's has great potato salad.  Perch are hit and miss lately.  It all depends on where the fish were caught.

I grew up in Oshkosh and a family tradition during the summer was a "fish fry" family reunion-type thing at least once a summer.

We would eat the jumbo perch my retired Grandpa would catch.  I miss that.  He knew how to properly bread fish by not overwhelming the fish with batter.

Cod and haddock do not do it for me, but The Claddagh in Middleton has the best fish and chips I have found.  I may go there tomorrow, since I will be there for the day.  The cod there is not grease soaked.

The perch at Camelot in Appleton are always cooked perfectly.  When the fish there come from good water they almost taste as good as my Grandpa's.

I love the nostalgia of this tradition, but the price is nuts.

I miss fritters too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Claddagh in Middleton has the best fish and chips I have found.  I may go there tomorrow, since I will be there for the day.  The cod there is not grease soaked.
View Quote

It's closed permanently.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I agree to a point.  Wendt's has great potato salad.  Perch are hit and miss lately.  It all depends on where the fish were caught.
View Quote

the wendt's on layton in greenfield?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's closed permanently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Claddagh in Middleton has the best fish and chips I have found.  I may go there tomorrow, since I will be there for the day.  The cod there is not grease soaked.

It's closed permanently.

Found that out when I drove there.   The search for good fish and chips continues.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#13]
There are apparently two Wendt's.

The one I speak of is on Lake Winnebago between Oshkosh and Fond du Lac.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Smiling Moose in Osman. The perch are always amazing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Mike & Cathy's Good Old Days is always one of our favorites.  Plus if you drive down Hwy C from Montello to the restaurant at dusk, you will see more deer than you can count!!!!

My favorite is No No's in Newburg
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Wendts Oshkosh / Fdl.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Smiling Moose in Osman. The perch are always amazing.
View Quote

They have great perch. The Cozy Cafe in Mischicot is reopening and they are staying open one night (Fridays) just to have the fish fry. They will be sourcing their perch from the same supplier due to the quality.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Ive got 2, both a few miles from Eagle River, if you're ever up this way.  Nutty Squirrel, 3 miles east on hwy 70, and BuckTales, west on 70 to hwy H, south on H about 1/2 mile. Both are on the small side (typical northwoods roadside bar) and fill up fast... if we're not there by 5:30PM, we don't bother going, cuz you won't get to eat til 7:30-8:pm if you show up after 6.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Our family vacations every year to Lake Big Chetec and for the last few years we have made it point to go to Pine Ridge on Lake Sissabagama for their all-you-can-eat Walleye on Friday evenings.
Amazing is all I can say. Nice place, too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wendts Oshkosh / Fdl.
View Quote
We did this based on recommendations in this thread. 45 minute drive for us. 35 minute wait for table. With toddlers.

It's a tavern with high top tables by the bar, and a lower dining room that overlooks the lake. The servers were dressed like servers as opposed to bar-help. Looked like three generations of family were working together running the place. It was busy and loud, but there was no juke box to make it feel like we brought the kids to a tavern. Families with children were eating at the high tops without any trouble. We sat in the dining room. There were no posturing egotistical attitudes from any of the bar patrons. Everything was warm and friendly at all times. Restrooms were clean and maintained.

The perch comes in three sized plates and we both opted for the largest at $25/each. The food was VERY good. AYCE places are always trying to make the batter heavy or salty. Not a problem here. Batter was thin, crisp, not greasy or oily, cooked in the correct temperature oil that wasn't over used. Flavor and texture were spot-on. No need for sauce and they didn't offer any. I enjoyed everything except the bread. It was triple thick white bread that came pre-slathered in margarine.

Add in a couple drinks, kids meals, and tip and the bill was $100. Not something we're going to do all the time, but there are plenty of places where we've spent $65 and been disappointed, so .....
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mike & Cathy's Good Old Days is always one of our favorites.  Plus if you drive down Hwy C from Montello to the restaurant at dusk, you will see more deer than you can count!!!!

My favorite is No No's in Newburg
View Quote
Just bought a place right down the road from there on C.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Moondance in Sugar Camp.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#23]
+1 on the Nutty Squirrel.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
+1 on the Nutty Squirrel.
View Quote
Both not too far away from our new place...we closed yesterday...now the work begins...
glad some decent fish fry places are close by.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Suzy's in Lomira.
Beer batter Haddock and Beer batter Shrimp.
View Quote

(This is not directed at you, Grizz.)

Ate there based on this recommendation. It was awful. Neither my wife or myself enjoyed any part of the meal. The cold fries in the bottom of the kid's basket were the highlight. The greasy fish is sitting like a rock in my stomach right now. Had perch and haddock.

Two adult dinners + two kid's meals + tip was $45. We'll never go back.

"Would you like a to-go box?"   (after she left) .... No thanks, our trash was already picked up today.

It looked like a nice establishment. There was a wait to be seated. There was still a wait when we left. I can't figure out why, because McDonalds would have been a far better meal.

I'm unkind when food is terrible, because it shows a complete lack of effort. Any dullard in their home kitchen that surfed youtube videos on frying fish and making potato pancakes would be running circles around this place within one day's attempts. Let alone someone that watched some Alton Brown and put a whole week into trying to improve their food quality. There's just no excuse nowadays. You're so lazy that you can't put a single day's effort into your livelihood? I can't imagine that you're any more diligent in the rest of your life.

It's not just a disappointing meal, it's eroding my faith in humanity .... and a hole in my stomach lining ...
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Dick and Joan's Supper Club in Appleton. Always great food, never been disappointed. 
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Both not too far away from our new place...we closed yesterday...now the work begins...
glad some decent fish fry places are close by.
View Quote
Closer to you is Pitlik's on Sand Lake, on Hwy D... between hwys O & H. A lot of people like it, to me, it's "meh, there's much better nearby". A couple miles up H is Bucktales, 10X better IMO. Honey Bear is another popular one, on hwy 70 just, west of H (about 1/2 mile north of Bucktales). Again, for us it's just "Ok". 1/2 mile east of that on hwy 70, is Eagle River Inn. Another just "Ok". Even closer yet, is The Shamrock Pub, downtown Lake Tom. I've never been there for fish fry, but if it's as good as their lunchtime burgers, it'll be great. It's one of our favorite lunch stops when on a snowmobile ride in that direction. But.... we haven't been there in quite awhile, we quit trail riding, and things (owners) do change.

IMO, Bucktales & Nutty Squirrel are a toss-up as to which is best fish fry in this area. Nutty Squirrel usually wins for us because it's only a mile from home, and Bucktales is about 5.  Judging by the crowds at both, a lot of others agree.

edit to add: If you like Italian, then you must go to Spangs in St. Germain.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Closer to you is Pitlik's on Sand Lake, on Hwy D... between hwys O & H. A lot of people like it, to me, it's "meh, there's much better nearby". A couple miles up H is Bucktales, 10X better IMO. Honey Bear is another popular one, on hwy 70 just, west of H (about 1/2 mile north of Bucktales). Again, for us it's just "Ok". 1/2 mile east of that on hwy 70, is Eagle River Inn. Another just "Ok". Even closer yet, is The Shamrock Pub, downtown Lake Tom. I've never been there for fish fry, but if it's as good as their lunchtime burgers, it'll be great. It's one of our favorite lunch stops when on a snowmobile ride in that direction. But.... we haven't been there in quite awhile, we quit trail riding, and things (owners) do change.

IMO, Bucktales & Nutty Squirrel are a toss-up as to which is best fish fry in this area. Nutty Squirrel usually wins for us because it's only a mile from home, and Bucktales is about 5.  Judging by the crowds at both, a lot of others agree.

edit to add: If you like Italian, then you must go to Spangs in St. Germain.
View Quote
Thanks....ate at the Shamrock the other day...my buddy lives in Lake Tomahawk...their lunchtime burgers are pretty decent....will definitely check out Spangs as the wife likes to hang out in St. Germain.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Spinning wheel.  Shawano. I have so many good memories as a kid there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

(This is not directed at you, Grizz.)

Ate there based on this recommendation. It was awful. Neither my wife or myself enjoyed any part of the meal. The cold fries in the bottom of the kid's basket were the highlight. The greasy fish is sitting like a rock in my stomach right now. Had perch and haddock.

Two adult dinners + two kid's meals + tip was $45. We'll never go back.

"Would you like a to-go box?"   (after she left) .... No thanks, our trash was already picked up today.

It looked like a nice establishment. There was a wait to be seated. There was still a wait when we left. I can't figure out why, because McDonalds would have been a far better meal.

I'm unkind when food is terrible, because it shows a complete lack of effort. Any dullard in their home kitchen that surfed youtube videos on frying fish and making potato pancakes would be running circles around this place within one day's attempts. Let alone someone that watched some Alton Brown and put a whole week into trying to improve their food quality. There's just no excuse nowadays. You're so lazy that you can't put a single day's effort into your livelihood? I can't imagine that you're any more diligent in the rest of your life.

It's not just a disappointing meal, it's eroding my faith in humanity .... and a hole in my stomach lining ...
View Quote
Wow.  I am sorry you had a bad experience there. The wife and I have been going there for over 11 yrs and never had a problem.   Someone sure dropped the ball.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#31]
We will be heading over to Columbus on a Friday in the future.  Are there any good fish fries over that way?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Kellner international aka KI's in kellner/ Wisconsin rapids. Get it with potato pancakes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1

Haven't found a better place
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I do Enjoy the Cajun option at the Smiling Moose for their different fish, nice big helpings. If you are there between 4 and 6 it is true double bubble. Doesn't hurt it is less then 3 miles from my house.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't eat fish, but my wife does.  

We were just out last weekend at the Brick in Glendale for their fish fry.  My wife was not impressed. Started a conversation about what she thought was good, made me think of this thread.

She claims the best fish fry she has had in the area is  Chuck's in Thiensville.  She said not only is the breading on the outside good, but the fish itself has great flavor.

We are pretty picky with restaurants, so while I can't comment on it specifically, based on her recommendation, it may be worth trying if you are in that area.

Of course, YOMV.

Also, because I am not a fish person, as a courtesy to me, my wife has not made us go to the Lakefront Brewery fish fry.  I have offered.  We have heard from many people that it is really good.

It is my understanding that the VFW in Shorewood has a quite excellent fish fry too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#36]
If you guys are in the Green Bay area I would recommend Redwood in on the east side for perch. There may bay a bit of a wait but food is great and the portions are pretty generous.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Went to Mar-Lis west of St Germain two weeks ago...excellent fish...nice digs...great service.

We got there early and they opened up for us...good thing to because by the time we got done eating there was a line out the door...
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Wisconsinites and fish  Gross.  When beef is available, why eat seagull food?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Bullheads sounds like beef to me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Aztalan Inn in Jefferson County for me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Spinning wheel.  Shawano. I have so many good memories as a kid there.
View Quote
Are you orginally from shawano? I was raised here mine would be John's Corner Bar in Pella.

Our own Htf member Hazwood 's cousin owns the  spinning wheel these days .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top