Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2017 2:15:32 PM EDT
When talking retirement planning and kid's college savings we have a friend who's banking on the WI GI Bill.  She says since her husband did a stint in Iraq that all their kids are entitled to a full ride at any WI college.  

Seems kind of too good to be true.  Wonder if there's some more eligibility requirements to it such as dependents of KIA or disabled vets or something.

Anyone with experience with this?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:11:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I know that I get free college for my service, but I don't think my kids do...
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
If you qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill you can give that to your spouse or kids.  My oldest is going to UWM next fall using it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill you can give that to your spouse or kids.  My oldest is going to UWM next fall using it.
View Quote

Is it set up where each veteran is benefited with a max of 128 credits where that can be divied up amongst the spouse and kids?  Or is unlimited where everyone, spouse, 10+ kids all get their own 128 credits?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If you draw a certain amount of VA disability, your dependents get tuition waived.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
"For the spouse or child of a veteran
to be eligible for the Wisconsin G.I.
Bill, the veteran must have met
certain statutory requirements as a
veteran, must have been a
Wisconsin resident at the time of
entry into active military duty, have a
disability rating determination of
30% or greater, and, if deceased,
must have been a Wisconsin
resident at the time of death."
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#6]
My ex-spouse and I are retired USAF. My kids each have our (military) Post 9-11 GI bill which equates to 4 years of free college and a $1000 a month approximate stipend. They can then use the WI GI college fund which equates to four years of UW classes paid for but no monthly stipend. The post 9-11 must be used up before the state benefit can be used.

I'm from Pittsburgh PA (born and raised - and where I entered the military). 5 years of WI residency is needed if you are not from here. This entitles me of 4 years of UW. Because my ex was born here; she gets 4 years, each kid gets four years and if we were still married, I would get four years.

My daughter is attending UW here in WI. They pay for her classes and give her a direct deposit of $1088 a month (the stipend is E5 pay granted per location of where she attends school).

See you local VA service rep for specifics and enrollment.

PM me if you need anything else.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]
So you don't need to have a 30% disability after all?  Open for all WI residence post 9/11 veterans spouses and children?

Must be something they keep on the down low.  My BIL was career AF, did a few tours in Afghanistan.  His son, my nephew, is a senior in HS right now and they have no clue about this benefit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
No disability rating is needed for the Fed GI Bill. 30% is needed for WI GI Bill - for the spouse and kids to be able to use it.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Had no idea about dependants and the wi gi bill.  Thanks.  Only 13 years for my kid to use it now...
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"For the spouse or child of a veteran
to be eligible for the Wisconsin G.I.
Bill, the veteran must have met
certain statutory requirements as a
veteran, must have been a
Wisconsin resident at the time of
entry into active military duty, have a
disability rating determination of
30% or greater, and, if deceased,
must have been a Wisconsin
resident at the time of death."
View Quote

This, for the WI GI Bill.  Otherwise, it only covers the veteran themself.
WI bill only covers tuition, no stipend like post 9/11.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is it set up where each veteran is benefited with a max of 128 credits where that can be divied up amongst the spouse and kids?  Or is unlimited where everyone, spouse, 10+ kids all get their own 128 credits?
View Quote

You have a total pool of 128.  Can divy that up, but that's it.  Give 64 and 64, or 90 and 38, but that's it.  You also have to have alloted the benefits to spouse/kids before getting out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
is this the benefit that requires 4 additional years of service to be able to pass it on?

I am near retirement and just cant stomach another 4 years of it.  but it sure would be nice to give it to the kids
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
is this the benefit that requires 4 additional years of service to be able to pass it on?

I am near retirement and just cant stomach another 4 years of it.  but it sure would be nice to give it to the kids
View Quote

No, that is the post 9-11.
This is the WI bill.  You just had to have been a WI resident when you enlisted, or deployed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#14]
called the local vets dept...

cant give federal to kids cause I am going to retire from AF in two years  (need four "more")

cant give WI GI bill to kids cause I am not 30% disabled....

for fuck sake..

I guess surviving 20+ in the military (without any disabilities) get you no transferrable schooling....
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
called the local vets dept...

cant give federal to kids cause I am going to retire from AF in two years  (need four "more")
View Quote

If your retiring at 20, then you can still reenlist for the 4 years, assign your 9/11 and retire once you get your 20 year letter.  At least on the Army side.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

cant give WI GI bill to kids cause I am not 30% disabled....
View Quote

You typically don't have a disability rating until after you ETS. That said, you've put nearly 20 years in service, and have not incurred any sort of service connected health or medical issues? At all? Military service is tough on one's body...Consider yourself lucky if you're still in 100% tip top shape.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You typically don't have a disability rating until after you ETS. That said, you've put nearly 20 years in service, and have not incurred any sort of service connected health or medical issues? At all? Military service is tough on one's body...Consider yourself lucky if you're still in 100% tip top shape.
View Quote
so far so good--two "official" years left.

my gripe is that because I managed to make it thru without getting fucked up...I am ineligible for the hand-me-down schooling.  That, and being I don't have the four required years "left", I cant get the federal version.  

sucks cock and balls
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

my gripe is that because I managed to make it thru without getting fucked up...I am ineligible for the hand-me-down schooling.  That, and being I don't have the four required years "left", I cant get the federal version.  

sucks cock and balls
View Quote
As I said earlier, if AF has a 20 year letter, you can reenlist for 6 years and still retire in 2.  Can still assign your post 9-11 credits.

And you do realise the disability benefit of distribution to family was based on a guy who had his leg blown off by an IED, not some PTSD bullshit for not making it through mob site.  Count yourself lucky by going AF.  I'd trade all my school benefits to have my knees not be fucked up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

sucks cock and balls
View Quote
I don't know a single individual who is not at least 50% rated for their 20+ years of service. I am perfectly healthy and am at 60+% for high blood pressure/cholesterol and sleep apnea. It has no bearing except what is paid out .gov, .VA or both (concurrent receipt). It is super complicated in formulation, just contact a VA service rep and they will help you.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't know a single individual who is not at least 50% rated for their 20+ years of service. I am perfectly healthy and am at 60+% for high blood pressure/cholesterol and sleep apnea. It has no bearing except what is paid out .gov, .VA or both (concurrent receipt). It is super complicated in formulation, just contact a VA service rep and they will help you.

V
OUT
View Quote
Not sure what you mean by 'rated' but it's sounding like all you'd need to qualify for being disabled is being on blood pressure meds.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#21]
well, I am not on any drugs for anything...so, that's out...

that's my boggle...retiring, and being "healthy" gets me off the list to pass on the college to the kids...lol

I wont put in for any random ache I have. Hell, I think there are 1-2 things that were caused by the .mil that of course I cant prove.

I will ask the education folks what they think of the "enlist for four more years and get the benefit and then retire" idea. If they think its kosher, I will do it.  I kinda think this would be discouraged, and that silly "integrity" thing is always in the back of my mind...  
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I will ask the education folks what they think of the "enlist for four more years and get the benefit and then retire" idea. If they think its kosher, I will do it.  I kinda think this would be discouraged, and that silly "integrity" thing is always in the back of my mind...  
View Quote
Not sure how AF is, but Army side, they'll make you reenlist to have at least 6 years left to go to some schools, but have no issue non retaining you at the drop of a hat a year after your school
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I wont put in for any random ache I have. Hell, I think there are 1-2 things that were caused by the .mil that of course I cant prove.
View Quote
There are a list of presumptive illnesses. If you have them (and it's documented), it's automatically assumed to be service connected. Might be worth talking to a rep from DAV. When I got out, they recommended we set up an appointment with them, as they will go over your medical records and let you know if you'd qualify.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I wholeheartedly recommend you get checked out when the time comes to see if you have any issues that might be service connected. They might be a minor ache now, but could turn into a big issue down the road, and it would be a good idea to have it on record.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#25]
A bulk of the "presumptive" issues are Agent Orange related - various cancers, diabetes, ischemic heart disease etc.  This means the only thing you need to verify is that you were boots on the ground in Nam and that you presently have the condition you're filing for.  The current Camp Legeune water fiasco is another recent "presumptive" situation.  If not presumptive, then the onus is on you to provide proof that the issue you are claiming was caused by military service.  That said, a lot of times the issue may be one that you would have acquired even if you weren't in the military but because you were in when diagnosed, you're good to go.  I filed a number of claims for vets who were claiming what I thought were issues brought on by their own stupidity (getting shit-faced and doing a face plant on a curb, etc.) but based on VA rules, they were eligible for a rating.  Also remember, a claim can be reopened if the condition worsens - Type II diabetes requiring medication to control rather than just diet modification - and the rating increases.  

My advise would be to contact your County Veterans Service Officer when you ETS, or retire.  They'll sit down and go through your records and advise you accordingly. (Be advised, however, some are better than others)
The military has tried to get people to file claims before they ETS or retire, claiming that it would speed up the process.  From my experience, don't do it.  Reason being is that those claims go to a VARO that is lousy at their job and claims set for over a year.  Milwaukee VARO is actually pretty darn good compared to some other black holes.  Wait till you get out to file so your claim will be processed in Milwaukee.

I don't know of many people from Combat Arms or who worked on a flight line who don't have tinnitus or some degree of hearing loss.  Qualifying on a range is exposure to noise.  Hearing aids are expensive.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not sure what you mean by 'rated' but it's sounding like all you'd need to qualify for being disabled is being on blood pressure meds.
View Quote
Correct. When you separate/retire you are seen by a VA physician and 'rated'. This is a complex formula that considers all your documented ailments accumulated during your enlistment.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A bulk of the "presumptive" issues are Agent Orange related - various cancers, diabetes, ischemic heart disease etc.  This means the only thing you need to verify is that you were boots on the ground in Nam and that you presently have the condition you're filing for.  The current Camp Legeune water fiasco is another recent "presumptive" situation.  If not presumptive, then the onus is on you to provide proof that the issue you are claiming was caused by military service.  That said, a lot of times the issue may be one that you would have acquired even if you weren't in the military but because you were in when diagnosed, you're good to go.  I filed a number of claims for vets who were claiming what I thought were issues brought on by their own stupidity (getting shit-faced and doing a face plant on a curb, etc.) but based on VA rules, they were eligible for a rating.  Also remember, a claim can be reopened if the condition worsens - Type II diabetes requiring medication to control rather than just diet modification - and the rating increases.  

My advise would be to contact your County Veterans Service Officer when you ETS, or retire.  They'll sit down and go through your records and advise you accordingly. (Be advised, however, some are better than others)
The military has tried to get people to file claims before they ETS or retire, claiming that it would speed up the process.  From my experience, don't do it.  Reason being is that those claims go to a VARO that is lousy at their job and claims set for over a year.  Milwaukee VARO is actually pretty darn good compared to some other black holes.  Wait till you get out to file so your claim will be processed in Milwaukee.

I don't know of many people from Combat Arms or who worked on a flight line who don't have tinnitus or some degree of hearing loss.  Qualifying on a range is exposure to noise.  Hearing aids are expensive.
View Quote
Very true!

V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wholeheartedly recommend you get checked out when the time comes to see if you have any issues that might be service connected. They might be a minor ache now, but could turn into a big issue down the road, and it would be a good idea to have it on record.
View Quote
110% true!

V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#29]
When I got out, all I wanted to do was put Ft Polk in the rearview mirror.

My hearing had degraded, my knee was making crunching sounds, but I could leave a week early if I opted out of the medical disability and sign off on it.

I signed.

My sister was in at the same time, and after I realised my mistake I begged her to get checked physically, every year she was in, until she got out.

She did, and now she is at 30% disabled for hearing and back issues.

The biggest plus was that she got full VA benefits.  They fixed her back and an eye issue she had.

I would bet money that if you go for a few full physicals, you will come out with at least 50% disability.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#30]
When I got back from deployment, I DID do a hearing test...because I knew something was up, but it was done by the nearest tech which happened to be there....he said my hearing was "very good".  yeaaaaaaaaa.....funny but I have tinnitus/ringing.  
I was out on the flight line quite a bit.  I am not jet tech or something similar but was out there around the heavy lifters---they are pretty loud too.

What's funny, is that I was in a bunker about half the time -- and it was loud as fuck in there.... (think the loudest echo chamber bar you have been in...) lol  between radios on max, people yelling in phone, 14 "needed" TV's volume on 11...it was really loud.  I had a tough time making out anyone talking.  It was a muddled mess.

Had some anxiety towards the end.  No sleep / shaking.  Seems to have subsided.  (workload doubled while we were there--no increase in personnel)

I feel dumb because it was nowhere near any combat arms/actual war fighting.  Closest incident was someone blew up a mosque.... about 20 miles away...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top