Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2017 5:55:45 PM EDT
Looking to take the GF and her two kids (11 YO male, 10 YO female) camping but not to some crowded campground. Don't wanna drive 6+ hours. Near a water source would be ideal. Want an area to be left alone and have them experience fieldcraft skills (making own fire, fishing, etc). Area to allow two small dogs would be ideal as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks
V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Like to help you out if I can.  Wife and I have camped all over this great (other than Madison) state.
Any particulars other than  <6 hr drive and water?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:31:29 AM EDT
[#2]
No just dont want crowds and restrictions...

V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
It would be helpful to have an idea of where you live.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have access to a boat, the Turtle Flambeau Flowage is really nice...
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#5]
DNR camping is booked most weekends but there are just as many mom & pop type campgrounds that are not nearly as crowded. Every time we camp at the popular spots we always get stuck next to a group who party late (like past 3AM) and keep my kiddos up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't know where you live, so I don't know if this in excess of your 6 hour drive limit, but this is one of my favorites.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/newport/

Newport State Park near Ellison Bay, WI.

Hike in camping.  Uncrowded.  Lake Michigan should supply you with plenty of water.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It would be helpful to have an idea of where you live.
View Quote

Duh...sorry...Green Lake county

V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't know where you live, so I don't know if this in excess of your 6 hour drive limit, but this is one of my favorites.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/newport/

Newport State Park near Ellison Bay, WI.

Hike in camping.  Uncrowded.  Lake Michigan should supply you with plenty of water.
View Quote

This.  Camped there many times before.  Secluded and quiet, because it's difficult to bring in a huge beer cooler, and sites are spaced out from each other.  Right on the lake.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at your county parks.   Dodge county park Astigo is on the Crawfish river.   Derge park is on Beaver Dam lake.  I have camp at both some times they are busy and other times they are hardly full.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd recommend Mirror Lake State Park outside of the Dells. It seems to be less of a party crowd than Devils Lake and the sites are spaced nicely.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]
You looking for a place with hook ups, electricity, etc or actual camping ? Dispersed AKA primitive camping in Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest is our favorite.  On this page you can click on various Ranger districts depending on what part of the forest you want to go to and download a map that shows dispersed camping sites. Usually you wont see anyone, the Forest Service roads to get to most of these are pretty smooth.MAP LINKS Our last trip to Nicolet was to Farr Lake on Labor day weekend and we had the whole lake to ourselves all weekend.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Farr Lake

This is about as tough as the Forest Service roads in Nicolet get. I had the Land Cruiser and the wife had her 4Runner and we had friends along who'd never offroaded so we took alittle run down the Pipeline trail. About the only offroad area in WI.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#13]
No power and secluded!

Thanks
V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

difficult to bring in a huge beer cooler
View Quote

Whiskey weekend!

I agree, great park.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You looking for a place with hook ups, electricity, etc or actual camping ? Dispersed AKA primitive camping in Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest is our favorite.  On this page you can click on various Ranger districts depending on what part of the forest you want to go to and download a map that shows dispersed camping sites. Usually you wont see anyone, the Forest Service roads to get to most of these are pretty smooth.MAP LINKS Our last trip to Nicolet was to Farr Lake on Labor day weekend and we had the whole lake to ourselves all weekend.
View Quote

If you're going this route, and I would recommend it also, just remember to keep a close watch on the dogs, don't let them wander off. Certain areas of the Nicolet now are infested with wolves, and coyotes are abundant also (a definite threat to ankle-biter size dogs also). So are bears abundant, so use precautions with food storage....they're all virtually no threat to people otherwise. But dogs are in serious shit if they wander off.

Camping is allowed just about anywhere on the Nicolet except boat landings and other designated parking areas. Also be aware that certain parking areas (mostly at trail heads) require a $10 yearly parking pass.  

If you're in a remote area, you can target shoot also. It's legal, just don't leave anything behind, not even .22 shell casings. They are very free with 'littering' citations when it comes to that subject.

Late June is still prime tick season, and the Nicolet is no exception (deer ticks, the prime carriers of Lyme, are prevalent). Sawyer brand permethrin, sold in the camping section at Walmart, works fantastic as a repellant.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#16]
We always just camped way back on the logging roads in some National Forest.  Nobody around, find a water source, and pretty much do what you want.  

Not sure if that was 100% legal or not....but a quick look online and it seems like it's fine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We always just camped way back on the logging roads in some National Forest.  Nobody around, find a water source, and pretty much do what you want.  

Not sure if that was 100% legal or not....but a quick look online and it seems like it's fine.
View Quote

It's legal everywhere except in designated parking areas for trail heads, boat launches, etc.

And to prevent "permanent squatters", you can only stay in a location for 14 consecutive days.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Franklin Lake NE Eagle River was always one of my favorites.
Rustic places along the two forks of the Flambeau River might be nice
Porcupine Mnt park up in the UP is also very nice
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Franklin Lake NE Eagle River was always one of my favorites.
View Quote

Butternut, Kentuck, & Anvil are nice too. They're all in the Nicolet National Forest, each has a N. F. public campground on their shore.

But don't let your dogs run free and unattended in the woods in this area. While not a danger to humans, I can personally attest to the fact that the woods around all 4 lakes (less than 10 miles from where I sit typing this) are full of coyotes and wolves. Plenty of bears too, so watch how you store your food.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#20]
If you want to consider camping with river access try Marinette County. 12 Foot Falls has two rustic camping areas in its park. I live close by and frequent the park to fish the pool below the falls on the North Branch of the Pike River. The campgrounds are taken care of daily by the county and never seem to be too crowded as RV's with holding tanks are not permitted. There are several county operated campgrounds in the woods and I'm sure each has it's own quality experience...I was around the same age as your kids when our family first camped at 12 foot and now reside in the area!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top