Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2017 11:31:04 PM EDT
.........Maybe it is just me turning into a old fart, but WTF was Cabelas thinking when they decided that not showing prices on used handguns is a good idea???

I stop by maybe twice a month on average to check out their overpriced used handguns and maybe once or twice a year I actually do find a good deal. So the last thing I want to do after driving all the way out there is play 20 questions with the clerk.  How much is that one???....and that one????......annnnd that one???.....after being quoted some crazy prices on a couple handguns I just said F it.

The guy that showed me the guns said it was new store procedure. I let him know what I thought about it. As I walked away to check out the used long guns, I saw another guy walked up to the counter and he also asked  what the hell was up with all the price tags turned upside down?

As I made a quick walk thru the rest of the store another employee asked if I needed help and I said no, but asked whats up with not showing used handgun prices??? He said it is being done to improve customer engagement    Needless to say I let him know what I thought.   Why they are only doing it on used guns he could not answer.

So am I just a grumpy old man or is that a stupid policy?
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep its real stupid. Hard ENOUGH to get a salesperson in the first place, then now have to WAIT for one of 3 there with 20 people waiting for a salesperson. Bad enough the price tags on the new rifles/shotguns are hard to read or turned around from the customer side of the counter.

Then again, when I was up there the last time looking at safes, the one I liked on display would of had to be ordered (as would most of the safes in the first place). Insane long wait AND over $250 for shipping. Was told they wont ship to store where I can come pick it up myself to save on shipping.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

.... Then again, when I was up there the last time looking at safes, the one I liked on display would of had to be ordered (as would most of the safes in the first place). Insane long wait AND over $250 for shipping. Was told they wont ship to store where I can come pick it up myself to save on shipping.
View Quote

I bought one online last summer, had it shipped to my home because of the no ship-to-store-for-pick-up policy on safes.

If the safe you wanted was made by Liberty, it's shipped directly from Liberty, thus the 6-8 week wait, and shipping was an extra $150, not $250. Considering I'm 150 miles away from the nearest store, I didn't think that was too bad. It was delivered 2 days short of the 8 weeks, it took 10 days from the time it left Utah (I was notified by Liberty) to find it's way to the northwoods of WI.

btw.... date of manufacture on my safe (month/year) was the same month I ordered it. I don't know the exact day of that month it was made, but it is possible I ordered it before it was even manufactured and the paint was dry. I read somewhere that Liberty has been selling about 500 safes per day, for the last year, and it's been hard to keep up with demand.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#3]
It's like car or equipment ads that want you to call in to get a price.  They think if they can speak to you they can hook you and imcrease chances of a sale.  It only annoys informed customers, but it works great on low grey matter types.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Must be a new policy. So much for shopping there I guess.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Green Bay is still labeled.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Which Cabelas was this at OP?

I was just at the Richfield one last night and all their used guns were labeled with prices as normal.
View Quote

It was the Richfield store..I was there last night too.  It was only the USED HANDGUNS that had all the tags reversed, the last 2 display cases towards the gun library. All the new handguns and used long guns still hand visible price tags.

Maybe they changed their policy after customers complained???
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I bought one online last summer, had it shipped to my home because of the no ship-to-store-for-pick-up policy on safes.

If the safe you wanted was made by Liberty, it's shipped directly from Liberty, thus the 6-8 week wait, and shipping was an extra $150, not $250.
View Quote

I was told $250.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was told $250.
View Quote

I ordered online, didn't talk to anyone. Maybe different size safes have different prices? Mine was a relatively small safe (Pro Vault medium - 18 gun). They charge a standard shipping rate, like if you ordered a pair of boots (and I had a free shipping coupon code that negated that), and the "heavy freight" surcharge was $150 (no "free ship" coupons accepted for that..... but I did have $150 in gift cards from Father's Day that I used. )
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#11]
First I've heard of this.

However, A wild guess is that the tags were flipped for the monthly audit. Once a month, the inventory is audited by scanning the bar codes on the back of the tags. The night before the audit, the closing shift flips the tags so the early shift (before opening) that comes in just for the audit can save time. They try to get it done before opening by doing the display guns first.
Twice a year, there is a steel audit, where we verify the the serial numbers on each gun. The tags are still flipped like the monthly audit. This is the right time of the year for that.

So my guess is that there might have been some issues, such as they had not finished the audit yet.

If the flipped tags thing is their policy, take it up with the store manager, or manager on duty. The outfitters can't do anything about it other than pass it up to their manager, which may or may not get passed up the line.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh, and the safe thing, yeah, that sucks. I tried to get a safe last year-I think I posted about that. Between the shipping fee, curbside dropoff, and the safe movers fee, it would have cost almost as much as the retail price of the safe, and it wouldn't have worked for me logistics wise, since my house is well above street level with a gravel driveway. The conclusion was to have it delivered to a self-storage space until the movers could pick it up. Real PITA.

Couldn't even get them to deliver it to the store WITH the shipping fee, so they could hold it until the movers could get it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
First I've heard of this.

However, A wild guess is that the tags were flipped for the monthly audit. Once a month, the inventory is audited by scanning the bar codes on the back of the tags. The night before the audit, the closing shift flips the tags so the early shift (before opening) that comes in just for the audit can save time. They try to get it done before opening by doing the display guns first.
Twice a year, there is a steel audit, where we verify the the serial numbers on each gun. The tags are still flipped like the monthly audit. This is the right time of the year for that.

So my guess is that there might have been some issues, such as they had not finished the audit yet.

If the flipped tags thing is their policy, take it up with the store manager, or manager on duty. The outfitters can't do anything about it other than pass it up to their manager, which may or may not get passed up the line.
View Quote

What you say makes complete sense.   What doesn't  add up was the clerks answers to my inquiries.  Inventory time is no problem and understandable.    To increase customer engagement is BS.

The second clerk did say he would bring it to the managers attention, we'll see.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh, and the safe thing, yeah, that sucks. I tried to get a safe last year-I think I posted about that. Between the shipping fee, curbside dropoff, and the safe movers fee, it would have cost almost as much as the retail price of the safe, and it wouldn't have worked for me logistics wise, since my house is well above street level with a gravel driveway. The conclusion was to have it delivered to a self-storage space until the movers could pick it up. Real PITA.

Couldn't even get them to deliver it to the store WITH the shipping fee, so they could hold it until the movers could get it.
View Quote

My delivery was a bit of a circus. My curbside delivery was scheduled for a particular day, to be delivered on a semi-truck from a company out of Iron Mountain, MI. The driver was supposed to call me when he was getting close, and I would meet him out on the main highway, and guide him into my dead end road.... that he either had to back in, or back out of... no place to turn around with a 40' trailer.  At 3:45pm, the dispatcher calls... the driver got hurt on a delivery, it's not coming today, as it'll be a few hours before another driver can be brought out  to retrieve the rig. "How about tomorrow?" OK, Ill take another day off, and sit and wait. But here's a better plan. Have the driver meet me at the big parking lot of the ice arena on the main highway (where the Bob & Rocco shows are held), it's close by, and I'll bring my trailer and we can transfer it there. A "new guy" won't be required to back up my road, I'll make it easier for them.

So again I wait all day. 3:15pm the driver calls, he's at the ice arena, waiting. I had my trailer hooked up, ready to roll, was there in about 5 minutes. No semi...... a 20' straight truck is there. He could've backed that right up to my garage. All he had in the truck was the 3 deliveries that did not get made the day before after the driver got hurt. There was nobody to run the route that day, after the regular guy got hurt, so they sent a warehouse kid (not qualified to drive the semi) with the small truck to finish the prior day's deliveries. We put it on my trailer anyway, as that was my plan after it got here, so I could hitch that trailer to the lawn tractor, and haul it around to the back side of the house where the walk-out basement door is (no dealing with stairs that way) as it was going into my reloading room down there. I removed the safe door, moved that in first, then the body, then put the door back on (don't try this at home, alone, without the proper equipment... I do safe work for a living and have a specially made jack for removing and reinstalling safe doors ). Much easier to move two 'not-as-heavy' pieces than one big one, especially if you're doing it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I was in Milwaukee for a swap meet on sunday, and went over to the richfield store after. Nothing was flipped over, so I guess they got an earful about it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
... last thing I want to do after driving all the way out there is play 20 questions with the clerk.  How much is that one???....and that one????......annnnd that one???.....
View Quote

Would have annoyed the junk out of me as well. You probably handled it better than I would.

I would have asked for the guy that decided it should be that way, and made him personally recite the price on each and every one ... then forget where we started and ask him to start over for me. Then ask how the customer engagement process was going on his end.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Would have annoyed the junk out of me as well. You probably handled it better than I would.

I would have asked for the guy that decided it should be that way, and made him personally recite the price on each and every one ... then forget where we started and ask him to start over for me. Then ask how the customer engagement process was going on his end.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#19]
grumpy old man
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top