Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2016 5:09:53 PM EDT
Any suggestions on procuring an out of state CC permit so as to be able to carry in other states? Spend some winters in Texas so that would be first choice as to where I would want to carry? Online or attend a class? Located 1/2 hour from either Green Bay or Appleton. (I have a Wisconsin CCL)
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If your going to TX just get their permit while your down there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#2]
A couple of guys I worked with swear by Utah.  For now, I will stay with Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#3]
It a little more than an hour, but Bill & Deb will get you qualified.  http://www.bdj-ltd.com/

They are in Red Granite.

Edit to clarify- more than an hour from GB, less than an hour from Appleton.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think it's worth it to get Utah now, as I understand MN will not recognize their permit anymore. That was my only reason to get one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think it's worth it to get Utah now, as I understand MN will not recognize their permit anymore. That was my only reason to get one.
View Quote

I thought they still do, and WA state as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#6]
MN no longer recognizes the UT permit, since August of 2015......because UT doesn't require shooting.

I would recommend the FL permit, which will get you more states than UT, except for WA

Art
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It a little more than an hour, but Bill & Deb will get you qualified.  http://www.bdj-ltd.com/

They are in Red Granite.

Edit to clarify- more than an hour from GB, less than an hour from Appleton.
View Quote

Henry Rahr is in Green Bay and can take care of both Utah and Minnesota

The ONLY way you (A WI resident) can carry in Florida is with a FL non-resident permit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Folks

There is some good information in this thread and some not so good,

To the OP I suggest you check with Handgunlaw.us for some specifics.  Hand Gun Law

Be careful.  Some states only honor resident permits.

In Texas you need either Texas or Utah Non-Resident permits.

Non-Resident Florida won't allow you to carry in Minnesota and neither will Utah.  You need either a Minnesota permit or Idaho Enhanced.

in 2015 Minnesota changed a single word in their CCW law.  They added "substantially" simliar to their training requirements.  When Minnesota re-evaluated reciprocity they rescinded Utah and a number of other states.

Bias alert.  I teach CCW.

Jeff
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#9]
North Dakota issues non-resident permits, and their enhanced is valid in MN as well. But you must take the N.D. class in N.D.

Rather than trying to decide on this or that one... get both. I have WI, FL (since 2000, on my 3rd now), and got UT in June 2014 so I could carry in MN. Oops, that option lasted only 15 months. I don't regret getting any of them. Money is not a concern, as they are NOT relatively expensive... less than the ammo cost of an average trip to the range for me.

I had a MN permit from 2006-2011. My daughter had one too, she lives there. We took a MN class from Bill at BDJ. When it expired, it was a few months before WI began issuing CHLs (In fact, it expired on the very day Walker signed our ccw bill into law ), and I was hoping a WI license would be good there...even though I knew, deep down, that it wouldn't.

Then about 2 years later, MN legislature passed a law that would've changed MN's reciprocity to accept all states...so again I "waited to see" what would happen, but their version of Asshat Doyle (Dayton) vetoed it. So then I waited for a veto override, that never came. So in 2014, I stopped waiting, and went to a UT class... that got MN covered again. Then in 2015 they dropped UT... back to square 1.

I've been researching carrying in MN again, and the best option for me is a repeat of 2006. It's another MN class, and another trip to Pine City MN to drop off my application (turnaround time in 2006 was 13 days ).
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Family Shooting Academy in Green Bay offers a Multi State class that will allow you to apply for WI, FL and UT.  As mentioned WI and FL are the way to go unless you want to carry in WA.  There is one on Sunday Oct 23rd.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Folks

There is some good information in this thread and some not so good,

To the OP I suggest you check with Handgunlaw.us for some specifics.  Hand Gun Law

Be careful.  Some states only honor resident permits.

In Texas you need either Texas or Utah Non-Resident permits.

Non-Resident Florida won't allow you to carry in Minnesota and neither will Utah.  You need either a Minnesota permit or Idaho Enhanced.

in 2015 Minnesota changed a single word in their CCW law.  They added "substantially" simliar to their training requirements.  When Minnesota re-evaluated reciprocity they rescinded Utah and a number of other states.

Bias alert.  I teach CCW.

Jeff
View Quote

Texas recognises Fla. non res CCW

excerpt from that link

RE: Question about reciprocity
Date: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:25 PM
Yes, Texas will recognize a non resident Florida license.
Please visit the following site for current reciprocity information:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/reciprocit...
Christopher Pierce
Texas Department of Public Safety

Handgunlaw.us says they do accept it as well
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top