Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2016 10:25:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, where are you located?  I assume you're wanting local classes, and not travelling to <fill in name of famous dude> class?  I'm sure there are others here more qualified than myself to answer, but I took a Carbine 1 class with POD (Performance on Demand shooting), and it was excellent training, challenging... drills, moving and shooting, etc.  They have a Pistol 1 class this coming Friday.  Most of their classes are in the Madison/waunakee area, although the class I took was in Janesville.  

They were all good trainers, 2 swat team guys/firearm trainers, one ex cop vet.  I was hoping to be able to go this week for Pistol 1, but haven't signed up because I don't know if I can get off Friday.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Start shooting idpa or uspsa etc. I know it's just a game but regardless you get trigger time and your under pressure.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Start shooting competitively.  Competition will add some stress and the range safety will teach how to do it safely.   I think the fall league will be starting soon at Fletchers in Waukesha.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First off, where are you located?  I assume you're wanting local classes, and not travelling to <fill in name of famous dude> class?  I'm sure there are others here more qualified than myself to answer, but I took a Carbine 1 class with POD (Performance on Demand shooting), and it was excellent training, challenging... drills, moving and shooting, etc.  They have a Pistol 1 class this coming Friday.  Most of their classes are in the Madison/waunakee area, although the class I took was in Janesville.  

They were all good trainers, 2 swat team guys/firearm trainers, one ex cop vet.  I was hoping to be able to go this week for Pistol 1, but haven't signed up because I don't know if I can get off Friday.
View Quote
I second this.

They have a Pistol 1 class this Friday with an open spot.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoot USPSA or push yourself to go faster. Classes are for breaking plateaus after you've tried everything else.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Just shoot a standard training class with an ear piece that is wired to your wife tell you all the things you SHOULD be doing right now instead of being at the range shooting your new gun.

That would add stress to the scenario
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This...Full disclosure: They are personal friends of mine. Still some excellent training at a bargain basement price.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At the moment I will probably look into the POD training. Another reason for this is because I currently don't have the time to start to shoot competition much less the money for the ammo or the components to reload them. Granted I am sure the class will gloss over the basics but what I really need to refresh is more the combat training that I have not worked with for quite a few years.
View Quote

The POD class is what you seek, Good crew, I've know them fnor years... Best bang for your buck and a excellent facility.. You will walk away with what your looking for...
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Shoot USPSA or push yourself to go faster. Classes are for breaking plateaus after you've tried everything else.
View Quote

Disagree strongly with this statement.

Most folks envision themselves making great decisions under pressure and keeping their cool. Nobody plans of choking, shooting someone they shouldn't have, or flinching like a scared girl. The 'pressure' of competitive shooting will never be enough to bring those things out. You can only learn those things about yourself and train them out by being stressed and professionally evaluated by a good outfit.

You go to a class to find out what your shortcomings are, have a professional watch and coach you, and go home with some drills and exercises that are specific to developing you as a shooter.
If you go to a class with your mind open, ego checked, and really engage the material .... but don't learn anything new about yourself .... then I wouldn't train there any more.

My most spectacular failures have been the most critical learning experiences. Caused me years of introspection. You'll never get that from a shoot-for-time match.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Most folks envision themselves making great decisions under pressure and keeping their cool. Nobody plans of choking, shooting someone they shouldn't have, or flinching like a scared girl. The 'pressure' of competitive shooting will never be enough to bring those things out. You can only learn those things about yourself and train them out by being stressed and professionally evaluated by a good outfit.

You go to a class to find out what your shortcomings are, have a professional watch and coach you, and go home with some drills and exercises that are specific to developing you as a shooter.

If you go to a class with your mind open, ego checked, and really engage the material .... but don't learn anything new about yourself .... then I wouldn't train there any more.

My most spectacular failures have been the most critical learning experiences. Caused me years of introspection. You'll never get that from a shoot-for-time match.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Compitition shooting is a tool in the training toolbox.

Don't discredit shooting against your peers, pushing each other to get better.

I am not sure how your training induces stress, without time constraints.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heard it all a million times; been to tactical classes myself. You're free to disagree.

I'm not talking about defensive shooting skills, that's where a class may come in handy (or may be a giant timmie circle jerk depending on the people involved). For learning fundamentals it's different. Learn to shoot, then learn to self diagnose, or you're not going to get very good. You need that before you learn to fastrope.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:18:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Heard it all a million times; been to tactical classes myself. You're free to disagree.

I'm not talking about defensive shooting skills, that's where a class may come in handy (or may be a giant timmie circle jerk depending on the people involved). For learning fundamentals it's different. Learn to shoot, then learn to self diagnose, or you're not going to get very good. You need that before you learn to fastrope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

USPSA will get you killed on the street. Just ask any IDPA shooter.  It certainly sas not beneficial to that guy in MN that scored 4Alpha on the mall shooter.   I have hundreds of hours with some Top defensive shooting instructors including Massad and Sully and Tim Lau and I learned a lot but hitting your target fast and accurately is the best tactic there is. USPSA will hone that skill. One instructor once told me "There is no such thing as 'Advanced Tactics' just better shooting."
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#15]
In my view training, practice and competition are three different things.

Competition gives you an experience which may or may not be relevant to your defensive shooting requirements.

Practice is structured repetition of technique with specific goals under the supervision of a qualified coach.

Training seeks to impart new or refine existing skills and knowledge based on a defined curriculum by a qualified instructor or team.  

While IDPA or USPSA might provide a interesting experience they are neither training nor practice.  FWIW My personal involvement in these competitions is ancient history.

Most shooters never seek quality training.  The OP is way ahead in that regard.  My suggestions is to get very comfortable with basic marksmanship first.  Next find some training on gunhandling such as proper draw, reload and very basic movement.  

Finally seek out some force on force training with Simunitions or Airsoft by a trainer who uses the Ken Murray or something similar approach.  Beware there are lots of folks doing FoF but not all know what they are doing.
When students go thru their first event they often have the FoF epiphany when they realize they still have a lot to learn / unlearn.   This training will cost something.

As always, practice frequently.  

Bias alert.  I am a trainer.

Jeff
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I've never needed a qualified coach or a curriculum for USPSA or fundamentals progress FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I have taken at least 3 handgun specific training classes.  I did learn new techniques to try, some I still use, some went by the wayside after some trial and error.  

Taking a handgun class IMHO is great for people who are

-relatively new to handguns

-want to work on fundamentals (important for all skill levels)

-Are looking to try new ideas or technical skills

-Enjoy shooting in a structured environment

Now if you want to hone skills and techniques you have learned in training classes, try shooing USPSA, IDPA, etc..

An 8 hour training class is not going to make you into an expert level shooter.  And I doubt anyone here has the time and money to take a handgun class monthly.

You can easily shoot in a competition for a fraction of the cost of a training course.

Shooting USPSA for the past 18 months, I have vastly improved my skills in

-Accuracy

-Speed

-Reloads

-Malfunction clearing

-weapons handling at speed

-Draw

-Sight picture
-weak hand only/ strong hand only

And I have enjoyed shooting in a friendly competitive environment.

I still plan on taking a training class for carbine and/or handgun yearly, but the use of both works best for me.

I encourage everyone to give both a try.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top