Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2016 9:26:25 PM EDT
I do not hunt Pheasants.  I noticed a sign today on public land saying no pheasant hunting after 2 pm.  Why?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#1]
We're you on Bong?

I think they do it to rest birds a bit and cut down on chaos after dark.  These big put and take hunts are a lot like track meets only with guns and dogs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I do not hunt Pheasants.  I noticed a sign today on public land saying no pheasant hunting after 2 pm.  Why?
View Quote

Because otherwise hunters would be shooting holes in the release trucks, trying to take them right out of the cute.

Quoted:
These big put and take hunts ...
View Quote

State run canned hunts. Might as well just shoot them at the game farm.

"Get the guns, boys ..... we're going hunting ......"

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I always thought it was to give the working man a chance a shot at bagging a bird on the weekend. From what I understand, some of the areas are as described where the birds are pretty much shot out of the truck by friends or family of whomever is stocking them.

I have been to the Bong and by and far during the early season there are many birds there, I think they release around 15k there?. I have hunted areas closer to home a lot more and a lot harder and had very little success. One is 10 minutes from my house and I've never shot a bird and have only seen a few per year on opening day. They supposedly release around 300 there. I do think that it is kinda rigged and wished that there was a native population here that had a fighting chance.

All the birds I've come across are way more wild than any bird I've come across on a game farm tho.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Above responses have pretty much nailed it. 2PM closing for certain areas that are stocked so both birds and later hunters have a chance.

Pheasant hunting has been pretty poor in WI ever since farmers took to shearing the corn stalks down to the ground, instead of the old fashioned 8-12" high remains that was good cover for pheasant.

I have great memories of pheasant hunting on my uncles farm when I was a kid. Too young to hunt with a shotgun back then, but me and my cousin tagged along for a chance at rabbits with our BB guns and later .22's. Only went pheasant hunting with my dad one year, before parkinsons made it too hard for him to walk the fields.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top