Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2016 8:19:28 PM EDT
Wife & I are looking at taking the kids (9 & 11) to the Dells for fall break this year. Looking to maybe stay 2-3 nights and the travel else where in Wisconsin. We are looking at staying at the Wilderness Resort, but haven't booked it yet. Any tips on must - do's at the Dells, or where else to travel to? We do enjoy fishing etc. If you have any ideas other then the Dells, we would be open to them as well. Will be traveling from central Indiana.

Thanks, Chris
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
We love the wildness stay off property at their Wildnerness on the lake the shuttles are nice and you can make your own meals and save money.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We love the wildness stay off property at their Wildnerness on the lake the shuttles are nice and you can make your own meals and save money.
View Quote

Exactly.  

Take a trip to https://www.thehouseontherock.com/
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Devils Lake State Park is south of the Dells in Baraboo.  Great hiking and a lake to fish in.   I don't know if that have boats for rent.  They did have canoes available for rent.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for help guys, still trying to decide how many nights to stay and if we should go elsewhere while up there. Looking at 5 nights & thinking that may be a little much in a water park.

Eta- Can you use the lake there for anything - fishing from shore, etc?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't remember the exact name of the boat but I'd highly recommend taking an upper dells boat tour.  There was a boat that would take you out for a sunset cruise and they served dinner/drinks.  The Ducks are also a great time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#6]
In mid-october, most of the dells attractions will be shut down for the winter, except for a few places with indoor water parks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.wisdeerpark.com/

Go pet and feed some deer.  They'll eat right out of your hand.  

Kids love it and it's surprisingly fun to do for grown ups too due to the novelty of it.

$14 bucks each to get in then like two dollars for a cup of food.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Go the Falmbeau outlet store in the industrial park in Baraboo. Tons of cases, decoys, tackle boxes, etc. for next to free.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Dont forget Jim's Gun Supply in Baraboo not far from Log Cabin Restaurant
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go the Falmbeau outlet store in the industrial park in Baraboo. Tons of cases, decoys, tackle boxes, etc. for next to free.
View Quote

I gotta check that out thanks....never even knew it was there...
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Devils Lake State Park: about 15-20 min south of the Wilderness
Pretty Awesome views if you hike up the bluffs on either side of the lake and plenty of other trails that don't have quite the climb.
Can access pretty much all around the lake from various spots on shore and there is pretty good bass fishing from there.
Have to buy a state park pass to park their, but it isn't much of cost if you are on vacation and it is only for the car, not per person.(if you buy it you can also go to any other parks in the state and use the same state park sticker)

Mirror Lake State Park: 5-10 minutes from the Wilderness
Close to the Dells and really a pretty cool paddling trip but it might be a little chilly in a kayak or canoe(they have rentals) in Mid October.
Has trails to walk/hike but not as scenic as Devil's Lake because it is"flatter" if that makes sense.

Upper Wisconsin River in the Dells: 10-20 minutes from Wilderness
Quite a few different boat rides and it is aweful scenic if you have never been here. Lots of cool sandstone formations and there are stops where you can get off and walk back through some of the canyons(Witch's Gulch comes to mind)

Ton's of Lakes to rent boats on to go enjoy the water and do some fishing if that is what you are looking for in the area
Lake Wisconsin (about 20-30 minutes from the Dell's to the south/south east), Castle Rock Lake (about 30 minutes from the Dell's to the North), Lake Petenwell if you want to go about 20-30 min North, Redstone and Dutch Hollow are both nice lakes to the west(30-40 minutes), but I am not certain about rentals. There is Lake Delton right by the Wilderness if you just want to get on the water and wet some lines, but it is hit pretty hard with traffic all summer so I tend to avoid it. Might be enjoyable that late in the year however.

If you are looking for a little nicer meal that isnt crazy expensive, High Rock Cafe in downtown Dells is my go to. Awesome food and good atmosphere without getting real "stuffy". Jimmy's Del Bar/Double Cut(at Kalahari)/Chop House(at Chula Vista) are some awesome steak places, but they are definitely an expensive night. Food is incredible though.

Zip line is cool but I would look for some deals as it is pretty spendy for a family of 4(on groupon a lot and you might be able to get some package deals as the same company owns some Ducks and some boat tours)

Knuckleheads and the indoor theme park at Kalahari could be kinda cool for kids that age.

Go Karts all over the place around here.

Mount Olympus has Karts and Roller Coasters that are fun

That is about all I can come up with now. Ton's of great restaurants all over. Ton's of random fun stuff to do if you are going full tourist. Feel free to ask me any questions if you find something you want an oppinion on. I have lived around here my whole life and work kind of along side most of the entertainment stuff, so I have done most of it at one point or another. The outdoor waterparks are a blast, but that might be a little late in the year unless the weather hits perfect for you. But for kids the age of yours, the indoor stuff is pretty awesome too.

http://www.wisdells.com/wisconsin-dells-things-to-do.htm
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the info guys
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wisconsin Big Cat Rescue in Rock Springs,WI

Big Cats lots of them
View Quote

Went there today. I loved it. Cheap and honestly the animals seemed much happier than any I've seen at a zoo. Very intimate feel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top