Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2016 9:41:24 PM EDT
What do you do with your CCW gun when you are using a stall in a bathroom?  I carry my 3" 1911 in a IWB holster and when I unbuckle my belt the gun would fall on the floor so I put it on my thigh, what do you all do with your gun?
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I poop at home.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Please tell me you're kidding. I leave it in the holster, where it stays.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I poop at home.
View Quote

+ 1 Me too!
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Stalls with a Baby changing stations work well for a shelf
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#6]
What kind of holster?  I have a crossbreed, and have never had he pistol fall out of the holster, nor the holster fall off my belt.

<knock on wood>
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#7]
If you gun falls on the floor you have an equipment issue...and a major one at that.

Your holster should fit snugly so that the gun won't fall out of it regardless of orientation.  I can do hand stands with my holster on a loose belt without it falling out...it has no retention other than friction.  I carry a Theis holster...which is a hybrid kydex/leather IWB style.

Your belt should be such that when you undo it, it should hold some rigidity.  Meaning you need a belt designed to hold a gun.  This is probably the most important part of a carry setup.  Do you have a gun belt?  No, those 'heavy duty' belts from the hardware stores are not gun belts.  

I'm guessing you're not wearing a gun belt and/or are not using a quality holster...if you have both, I have no idea why your gun would fall out.  I carry a G30, which is a pretty heavy gun fully loaded.  I just keep my pants up around my knees so people can't see the gun while on the public throne.  

Gun never leaves the holster unless it's being used for it's purpose, that's asking for an ND.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#8]
If my gun is so heavy that it falls out of the IWB holster on it's own, then I simply spread my legs so the gun stays upright.  Or tuck it in towards my leg.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I shouldn't have said that it falls out of the holster or off the belt, the gun is heavy enough that it will pull my belt and pants down and I really don't want my belt, pants and $1500 1911 touching the bathroom floor.  Plus when I pull my pants back up I want to tuck my shirt in and it's hard to do with the heavy gun in the holster.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Unbuckle, zip, etc.

Grab pants on each side, one hand on the holster.

Lower pants while twisting the section with the holster around to the middle, adjust and settle.

Do your business.

Reverse the process when done.

You could always unholster and place it in the "hammock" but be mindful of how tall the gap under the stall is at that location.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I shouldn't have said that it falls out of the holster or off the belt, the gun is heavy enough that it will pull my belt and pants down and I really don't want my belt, pants and $1500 1911 touching the bathroom floor.  Plus when I pull my pants back up I want to tuck my shirt in and it's hard to do with the heavy gun in the holster.
View Quote

At least I know I'm not the only one who has that problem. Not so bad when I'm carrying my light weight Kahr CM9, but with my heavier Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 it certainly is. I have a lot of other crap on my belt too... Leatherman, flashlight, extra mag holder, key ring snap. I tuck my shirt in after I button my pants and before I tighten up my belt. I've been buying my pants & jeans one waist size larger since I started carrying IWB.

Either gun, it will not fall out of the hybrid holsters if upside down. But I try to keep it upright anyway.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#12]
If im carrying the LCP its in a pocket holster so that's a easy one the XDS 45 & Nano safely unholster set on tank cover DONT pull a ATF and leave in restroom.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:56:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you gun falls on the floor you have an equipment issue...and a major one at that.

Your holster should fit snugly so that the gun won't fall out of it regardless of orientation.  I can do hand stands with my holster on a loose belt without it falling out...it has no retention other than friction.  I carry a Theis holster...which is a hybrid kydex/leather IWB style.

Your belt should be such that when you undo it, it should hold some rigidity.  Meaning you need a belt designed to hold a gun.  This is probably the most important part of a carry setup.  Do you have a gun belt?  No, those 'heavy duty' belts from the hardware stores are not gun belts.  

I'm guessing you're not wearing a gun belt and/or are not using a quality holster...if you have both, I have no idea why your gun would fall out.  I carry a G30, which is a pretty heavy gun fully loaded.  I just keep my pants up around my knees so people can't see the gun while on the public throne.  

Gun never leaves the holster unless it's being used for it's purpose, that's asking for an ND.
View Quote

Everything this guy said!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#14]
if you must remove your handgun from the holster you could always put it in your pants between your legs, definitely wont forget it this way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

At least I know I'm not the only one who has that problem. Not so bad when I'm carrying my light weight Kahr CM9, but with my heavier Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 it certainly is. I have a lot of other crap on my belt too... Leatherman, flashlight, extra mag holder, key ring snap. I tuck my shirt in after I button my pants and before I tighten up my belt. I've been buying my pants & jeans one waist size larger since I started carrying IWB.

Either gun, it will not fall out of the hybrid holsters if upside down. But I try to keep it upright anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To the first guy:  you can carry what you want, but freaking out because your 1911 might touch the floor is a decent sign you should look for a different carry gun.  My                                  1911 gets covered in grease, oil, mud, dirt, grass, bark, more dirt, etc., and is just fine (very good appetite, finishes every mag).  If you are going to carry something every day it should be able to take some abuse.

To Both Guys:  I 1911 every day and have no problems tucking in my shirt.  Of course all that crap hanging off of your belt will be affected by gravity.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

To the first guy:  you can carry what you want, but freaking out because your 1911 might touch the floor is a decent sign you should look for a different carry gun.  My                                  1911 gets covered in grease, oil, mud, dirt, grass, bark, more dirt, etc., and is just fine (very good appetite, finishes every mag).  If you are going to carry something every day it should be able to take some abuse.

To Both Guys:  I 1911 every day and have no problems tucking in my shirt.  Of course all that crap hanging off of your belt will be affected by gravity.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be less concerned with the finish and more concerned with my gun getting AIDS.  But seriously there is a lot of nasty "shit"  on a public restroom floor.  There was a thread in GD a while back where a members Wilson  1911 fell out while depantsing and discaharged into the floor at work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not worried about the gun getting nicked, although I don't want it to, it's a Performance Center S&W but it has plenty of scuffs and marks on it from carrying but I don't really care for anything except the soles of my shoes touching a public bathroom floor.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odds are, if I'm taking a dump in a public bathroom, I'm working. The flashlight & Leatherman are tools I use for work. I also have my smart phone in a belt holster. Since both my compact 1911 and my Kahr 9mm have 7 round magazines, if I'm going to carry a gun, I'm going to carry more than 8 rounds of ammo. So all the crap is necessary. And it does create a gravity problem. YMMV.

eta: This is WI, and in my part of it, winters last 6 months, and "jacket weather" can last months longer. My regular winter wear is either a Carhardt arctic work parka, or a M-65 field jacket, depending on temperature. Both have pockets big enough for a pistol. I take my coat off, hang it on the hook in the stall, and my gun goes in one pocket, smart phone in another. Problem solved for a minimum of half the year.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:13:03 AM EDT
[#19]
i dont use public restrooms
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Drop your trousers carefully.

Remove pistol and put into your shorts.

Do your business.

Reverse.  If you forget your pistol it will remind you.

Wash hands.

Worked for 35+ years.  Never left or lost a pistol.

Jeff
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Is this serious?  Am I being PUNKED???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top