Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2015 1:05:26 PM EDT
I'm moving to WI from MO, and have some questions about legality of transporting weapons and ammo through WI.  Is there anything I need to be aware of in terms of laws regarding transportation of unloaded handguns, unloaded long guns, and ammo in the passenger compartment of a vehicle?  Can I keep a concealed loaded handgun in the passenger compartment without CCW?  My main concern is making it safely to my new home with my collection intact.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Unloaded and cased weapons are fine.  I'd put ammo in separate containers, and in a separate compartment if possible (the trunk if you have one).

No CCW at all unless you have a valid permit.  IF you have a MO one, check to see if it's honored in WI (I don't know off the top of my head).  handgunlaw.us is good for this.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No CCW at all unless you have a valid permit.  IF you have a MO one, check to see if it's honored in WI (I don't know off the top of my head).  handgunlaw.us is good for this.
View Quote

Figured.  Here in MO, we can keep loaded firearm anywhere in passenger compartment without CCW, but I think we are a little unique in that regard.  Depending on which vehicle(s) I use, I may not be able to use separate compartments.  I would think that if the firearms are cased up in a locked duffel, and ammo is in ammo cans or boxes, I would be good to go, no?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, that'll be fine.

Ideally they'd be in a separate compartment, but sometimes that's not an option (Suburban, van, station wagon, etc).

Just don't have a weapon on the passenger seat "in a case" with a magazine in your pocket.  Not sure the black letter of the law, but if they wanted to be dicks about it, I'm sure there's a way.

Better safe than sorry.

Generally speaking, the firearm laws are pretty loose up here.  But with you coming in with out of state plates, and a carload full..

Just get your CCW when you get here.  $40, good for 5 years, decent reciprocity.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Under the firearm in a vehicle transportation statute (167.31) the law says all long guns must be unloaded, but handguns may be loaded. The definition of unloaded is no shell in the chamber nor magazine, and any loaded detachable magazine or feeding device cannot be inserted into the firearm. Guns no longer must be encased while inside a vehicle. Ammo does not have to be totally separated from a firearm, a detachable magazine may be loaded, as long as it's not "in" the firearm.

But here's were the "handguns may be loaded"  gets ambiguous...  under the concealed weapon statute (941.23), any firearm in a passenger compartment that is within reach of any occupant, and is "below the window-line", is considered a concealed weapon, loaded or not, encased or not, handgun or long gun. I'm not aware of anyone who has been cited for an unloaded and encased handgun, or long gun, sitting on a seat... but it IS illegal. However, if a loaded handgun is within view from outside the vehicle at a short distance, such as on the dashboard, that is technically legal open carry.

WI honors MO permits that were issued after 8/28/13 only. WI also honors non-resident permits issued by any of the states whose permits are honored (in fact, for VA, ONLY non-res permits are honored). The 2 most "popular" non-res permits out there are UT & FL. WI does honor UT, both resident or non-resident (except for a WI resident with a UT permit), but does not honor any FL permits.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm moving to WI from MO, and have some questions about legality of transporting weapons and ammo through WI.  Is there anything I need to be aware of in terms of laws regarding transportation of unloaded handguns, unloaded long guns, and ammo in the passenger compartment of a vehicle?  Can I keep a concealed loaded handgun in the passenger compartment without CCW?  My main concern is making it safely to my new home with my collection intact.
View Quote

While you may be fine driving down most interstates and many State highways with a loaded handgun velcroed to your dash and your rifle and shotgun outside of a case in your storage area, things go south when you take your first exit.  Without being a WI  recognized Licensee, all firearms must be unloaded and encased while driving within 1000' of School Grounds of any 1st-12th grade school.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
According to handgunlaw.us, a MO CCW license issued after 8-27-13 is valid in WI.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
----n/m---
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That appears to be incorrect!
Here is the info directly from the WI DOJ...
Missouri license ISSUED OR RENEWED ON OR AFTER 08/28/2013. This DOES NOT include any provisional license issued by the state.
https://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/reciprocity
This is why I always tell people to only use 3rd party sites as a general reference and to go directly to the State's own site before traveling in order to ensure you have the latest correct information..
----I went to the handgunlaw.us and it does correctly list "Issued/Renewed After 8/28/15"...----
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to handgunlaw.us, a MO CCW license issued after 8-27-13 is valid in WI.

That appears to be incorrect!
Here is the info directly from the WI DOJ...
Missouri license ISSUED OR RENEWED ON OR AFTER 08/28/2013. This DOES NOT include any provisional license issued by the state.
This is why I always tell people to only use 3rd party sites as a general reference and to go directly to the State's own site before traveling in order to ensure you have the latest correct information..
----I went to the handgunlaw.us and it does correctly list "Issued/Renewed After 8/28/15"...----

"After 8/27", in reality means, "beginning on 8/28". Are we "picking nits" over the wording used on a single day.... or is it an issue of two years and a day now?

j/k

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are we "picking nits" over the wording used on a single day...
View Quote

Sorry Mang..    All I can do is try to blame it on lack of sleep, cold medicine or my 3rd grade education     Regardless, it was a total lack of both reading comprehension and the ability to type a sentence without fudging the numbers.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top