Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2015 5:41:48 PM EDT
Anyone know of anywhere to go? Saw nothing this weekend up north and am thinking of trying to find some place closer to home to check out. I can drive some, but the 150 miles up North again is something I am trying to avoid.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know anything about that area, but I bought the 2015 hunting atlas (both north and south versions), it's been great.  It even lists private land enrolled in the public access program.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't know anything about that area, but I bought the 2015 hunting atlas (both north and south versions), it's been great.  It even lists private land enrolled in the public access program.
View Quote
Hmm interesting. Where do you find one of these?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought the Southern atlas at Walmart and the Northern atlas at Fleet Farm.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This subject is relevant to my interests.....   Finding a nice land lease is getting to be impossible - no matter how much I'm willing to pay.  

The public land thing always concerns me...  The hunter behind every tree type thing.  You can't set up a tree stand without at least an attempt or two on somebody stealing it.  I lost a lease after 26 years after the owner died...   and then another one after 3 years when the owner sold.

I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a 40.  Just seems like a waste of money just to use as hunting land.    

Thoughts and experiences are welcome....
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This subject is relevant to my interests.....   Finding a nice land lease is getting to be impossible - no matter how much I'm willing to pay.  

The public land thing always concerns me...  The hunter behind every tree type thing.  You can't set up a tree stand without at least an attempt or two on somebody stealing it.  I lost a lease after 26 years after the owner died...   and then another one after 3 years when the owner sold.

I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a 40.  Just seems like a waste of money just to use as hunting land.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my public land buck, it's not the biggest deer by any stretch, but for public land I think it's respectable.  It just over 110 inches green scored.

I did things like kayak into hard to get places, simply referencing public land against private land near crop fields with travel corridors in public land, then I'd simply take a a tally of how many cars were parked in the public land parking area.  If an area was getting pressured I'd move on to an area that wasn't.  I hunted one area that I didn't see another person on until late October and he was hunting the extreme other side of me. I've deer hunted lots of public land and WI has by far the best public land hunting.  I saw a buck almost every time I went hunting and had more than a couple basket 4 points and 6 points within shooting range.  Plenty of does as well.  The atlas I bought was the key to my success.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice buck beardog, well done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top