Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2015 6:05:11 PM EDT
Is there any chance that Wisconsin can get rid of this scam?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. But they want to raise it to 15%.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I do a lot of road-tripping. Be glad you can still get 91 octane without ethanol here.

It's especially bad in liberal states, and states with a large farming industry. Ethanol in everything.

But if you're out in the middle of nowhere, where the farmers have to fuel up, you'll magically find a lot of non-ethanol 85-87 octane choices available.

That should tell you something. The farmers have no problem pumping out the corn for the ethanol, but won't put it into their machinery.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The EPA is projected to nearly double the 4.7 billion gallon ethanol mandate for 2016
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do a lot of road-tripping. Be glad you can still get 91 octane without ethanol here.
http://cdn.meme.am/instances2/500x/2987163.jpg

It's especially bad in liberal states, and states with a large farming industry. Ethanol in everything.

But if you're out in the middle of nowhere, where the farmers have to fuel up, you'll magically find a lot of non-ethanol 85-87 octane choices available.

That should tell you something. The farmers have no problem pumping out the corn for the ethanol, but won't put it into their machinery.
View Quote

That's not how it works, and it has nothing to do with "farmers not wanting it". The reason you see it away from the city, is that the cities tend to have high ozone levels, so the EPA mandates reformulated gas for them. In WI, there are currently 6 counties in the Southeast corner of the state which consistently fail the EPA standards. Every other county is allowed to sell E-free gas, but they usually only have it in premium. BP is probably the most reliable for having it, so watch for the BP sign, or use the Pure Gas app on your cell phone.

And BTW, the vast majority of farm machinery runs on diesel, not gasoline.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if my car is polluting much as I drive a 30 mile round trip to get gas for my mower and blower? Too bad the station 1 mile from my house has only crap gas.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
A list of stations in Wisconsin with ethanol-free gas (outside of the Milwaukee area which is under the EPA mandate): Pure-Gas.org

I find that Kwik-Trip, which was one of the first stations to get ethanol infused gas, is now often the best option for avoiding it.  

There may also be ways of removing ethanol from contaminated gasoline such as by adding water and then using an oil-water separator to remove the resulting water and ethanol mixture.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:15:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The EPA is projected to nearly double the 4.7 billion gallon ethanol mandate for 2016
View Quote

Correct, they are dropping the ozone standard from 75 PPM to 70 PPM. It doesn't sound like much, but it is going to put a shitload of more counties into the reformulated fuel mandates. Fuck the EPA and Fuck BHO. Sorry, I'm grumpy tonight.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's not how it works, and it has nothing to do with "farmers not wanting it". The reason you see it away from the city, is that the cities tend to have high ozone levels, so the EPA mandates reformulated gas for them. In WI, there are currently 6 counties in the Southeast corner of the state which consistently fail the EPA standards. Every other county is allowed to sell E-free gas, but they usually only have it in premium. BP is probably the most reliable for having it, so watch for the BP sign, or use the Pure Gas app on your cell phone.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Milwaukee and Chicago have met Clean Air Act ozone standards and have been reclassified.  There was a lawsuit about it settled last year IIRC.  The only other area of non-attainment is one of the particulate matter standards which has nothing to do with auto emissions.  So why didn't the reformulated gas go away?  The truth is a lot more complicated than just the CAA; lots of politics, and YES lots of handout-ready farmers.

I say fuck it and burn E85 in my race car since it is basically cheap race fuel for which I'm already paying (industry subsidies from my taxes).
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:53:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Milwaukee and Chicago have met Clean Air Act ozone standards and have been reclassified.  There was a lawsuit about it settled last year IIRC.  The only other area of non-attainment is one of the particulate matter standards which has nothing to do with auto emissions.  So why didn't the reformulated gas go away?  The truth is a lot more complicated than just the CAA; lots of politics, and YES lots of handout-ready farmers.

I say fuck it and burn E85 in my race car since it is basically cheap race fuel for which I'm already paying (industry subsidies from my taxes).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct that there is a lot of politics involved, but you don't understand why the reformulated gas didn't go away. They keep moving the goalposts! The 1997 8-hour standard (for ozone) was 84 PPB, so in 2008 they lowered it to 75. When they started to make that limit, the EPA decided to lower it to 70 PPB (Oct 1, 2015). It's a game you can't win, because the Feds want ethanol to stay in place.    
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#11]
LOL I understand; the question was rhetorical.

The great irony is that, while oxygenated, ethanol doesn't give up its oxygen during the burning process (the hydroxyl group hydrogenates and makes water) so the initial purpose of using an "oxygenated" gasoline product are lost.  The whole point of using MTBE back in the day was the ethers give up their oxygen during combustion, making a more efficient burn (that's a very basic way to look at it).  Problem was MTBE is detectable by humans (taste) at the ppb or ppt level, and it started getting into ground water from station runoff where they were using it (CA rings a bell).  So they looked elsewhere, and low and behold, EtOH was chosen.  It doesn't make any sense from an economical or environmental (or chemical) perspective, but it bought a whole lotta farm and distillery votes.

Like analogous government scams, it isn't ever going away at this point... like Social Security, Welfare, etc.

Like some kind of Social Herpes that only gets attention from the populace at large when there is a flare up, but is otherwise getting ignored or (worse yet) spread.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]
LOL herpes...LOL

Rick...2 funny

V
OUT
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LOL I understand; the question was rhetorical.

The great irony is that, while oxygenated, ethanol doesn't give up its oxygen during the burning process (the hydroxyl group hydrogenates and makes water) so the initial purpose of using an "oxygenated" gasoline product are lost.  The whole point of using MTBE back in the day was the ethers give up their oxygen during combustion, making a more efficient burn (that's a very basic way to look at it).  Problem was MTBE is detectable by humans (taste) at the ppb or ppt level, and it started getting into ground water from station runoff where they were using it (CA rings a bell).  So they looked elsewhere, and low and behold, EtOH was chosen.  It doesn't make any sense from an economical or environmental (or chemical) perspective, but it bought a whole lotta farm and distillery votes.

Like analogous government scams, it isn't ever going away at this point... like Social Security, Welfare, etc.

Like some kind of Social Herpes that only gets attention from the populace at large when there is a flare up, but is otherwise getting ignored or (worse yet) spread.
View Quote

I've played around with adding alcohol while hooked up to the 4-gas or 5-gas, and more alcohol will normally reduce HC and CO. Some people used to use it to get cars to pass, if they were right on the edge. But I've only tried it on carbed and TBI engines, which naturally had higher levels than a port injected engine with OBDII. On a port-injected vehicle (in good mechanical condition), which already burns really clean, I suspect that the difference would be so negligible that it would be hard to see. If you had an OBDII vehicle that was starting to burn some oil, and the catalyst was wearing out, adding ethanol would probably help reduce CO and HC, just like it did when we did it on TBI engines. And it's not just from leaning the mixture, because the O2 sensor is always maintaining the A/F ratio (unless it's an old carbed vehicle without O2 sensor). It does somehow help the combustion process. But newer vehicles burn so clean that it's completely unnecessary, and like you said, it's politics, and it's not going away.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#14]
When you factor it all, fertilizer, tractor fuel use and emissions, electricity and water used, and more, it uses up more energy than it gives! The only thing keeping it going is your tax dollars going to a handful of political crooks in the form of subsidies to the ethanol lobby billionaires.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When you factor it all, fertilizer, tractor fuel use and emissions, electricity and water used, and more, it uses up more energy than it gives! The only thing keeping it going is your tax dollars going to a handful of political crooks in the form of subsidies to the ethanol lobby billionaires.
View Quote

Funny how a Union Loving ,Walker hater whines about Ethanol... Pot.... Kettle...
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Funny how a Union Loving ,Walker hater whines about Ethanol... Pot.... Kettle...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Walker is a loser, and so are you for kissing his koch bought ass.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Now this thread is getting up to speed....
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol. Just......go.....away........
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Walker 2016
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#21]
See.. that's why we don't want him to go away... He's an excellent reminder of what we have to watch for... I'm sure he's voting for Bernie....
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Locked thread and blocked from the HTF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top