BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Used to be the law you couldn't shoot them north of highway 10 (I think) during deer season, but they did away with that starting last year? or this year?

Maybe it's the DNR's way of doing a wink-wink-nudge-nudge for SSS on wolves?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw 8 deer today but either they were too far or too small.

Did manage to get this mangy coyote with the Mosin this morning

http://rs296.pbsrc.com/albums/mm169/kindew/20151121_100258_zpsa0dfsgza.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

I might be mistaken, but I thought we couldn't shoot coyotes during the gun deer season?

Used to be the law you couldn't shoot them north of highway 10 (I think) during deer season, but they did away with that starting last year? or this year?

Maybe it's the DNR's way of doing a wink-wink-nudge-nudge for SSS on wolves?

It was definitely legal last year. And I think the change was in effect the year before that  too (2013).
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah coyotes are GTG since 2012 or 2013.  I just have to pull off my orange so I'm wearing multicam, give the SF Fury on my gun a few twists to reactivate it, and pull my calls out after deer shooting light!  (Gotta wait 30 minutes I think to take off the orange?)

Kicked up one deer yesterday in the Bog; all the tracks lead deep into the thick shit and no human is getting back there quietly (or without waders on).

I might get to go out a weekday next week (metro subunit is open until the 9th IIRC?) but otherwise looks like my second season out is shaping up to be another bust.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw a few while goose hunting opening day. Figure the hunters weren't as stealthy as they should have been and bumped them while heading in. Went out again Tuesday and had a group of does getting hounded by a little buck trot through my spread and knocking over a couple of decoys. Normal amount of shooting for opening day down here. The landowners kids took two small bucks on Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Got to go out for a few hours today, on a public property that is new to me.

Judging from the footprints in remaining snow, this is a VERY low use area.

Didn't see any deer, but saw plenty of sign. I think I found an area to go next time I'm out, and possibly for opener next year if the numbers of people stay low.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Got a 7 pointer Monday. Only deer I saw all afternoon, shot at literally the last minute. Dodge County.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Shot this buck on Saturday morning 20 miles west of Green Bay in farm country. Was an ok morning but did not see the deer numbers of past years. Still hunting and did not see a deer since Sunday
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Nothing for me this year. Season got cut short when my dad came down with pneumonia during opening day, so we headed back. Dad is fine, but better safe than sorry imo. Nice to see some of our members here filling tags!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL, the wolves in my area missed one. I saw a single doe last night about 4pm.... 1st deer sighting of the season. Wolf tracks everywhere after 2" snow fell Thursday. If I could, I'd follow her everywhere and be her bodyguard. S.S.S.

I hunted sat, sun, mon, tues, fri.... didn't go out wed or thurs. It was 4 degrees when I got up at 5:30am today, said screw it, pulled up the covers. Going back to the woods this afternoon after lunch for one last time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Hunted in Dunbar again this year. It comes as no surprise that the deer population is low but no deer seen in the woods in 5 days. On stand or on foot the sign just isn't there. Also the shooting on opening day was pathetic.There was one spot I had picked out on the edge of a rock outcropping which Marinette County is famos for but when I got there I found this...

" />

And while the blind itself on County land might have been legal, the trees cut for shooting lanes and amount of corn baited was not so I hitailed it out of there.
So here we are on the eve of the last day and the only 3 deer I've seen were on a meatpole and the back of a lucky hunters truck...oh well that's hunting...good thing we hunt in SD every year or the freezer would be low!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Been out 10 or so times, and probably seen close to 15 total, but no good shots.  Hopefully just a bad year for me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Daughter and I saw 4 doe this morning.  None of them gave her a good shot though...

Last chance for her tonight...I've been very proud of her, really toughing out being cold and not seeing a lot of deer.  Keeps her spirits up and seems to be having fun with it.

Hunting really gets truly fun when you can take your kids out and teach them the ropes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Well it was definitely another banner year for hunting in good old Marquette County, WI.  We had 5 guys hunting my dad's 80 acres and everyone saw at least 20-25 deer every day on Sat, Sun, and Mon.  Tues was a little slow as a couple of us only saw around 5 deer but the other 2 guys saw a pack of 20 doe/fawns come through.  We bring lunch into the field and hunt all day long.  My brother in law ended up shooting 1 doe and 1 nubbie buck (was a giant for a fawn), one of the guys shot a gnarly 9 point, another guy shot a doe the size of a horse, and I shot 2 big doe.  I passed on half a dozen forks and 6 points so hopefully next year will be big buck heaven!  Plus a neighbor has been trapping the area and I heard he is up to 17 coyotes this year so lots of fawns should make it next summer.  
There are 3 things that have really helped our deer herd:
1.  Probably 15 years ago one of the neighbors went through and talked with everyone about Quality Deer Management.  Most everyone within 5 miles is on board so forks and 6 points rarely get shot.  I don't know anyone that hasn't shot the biggest buck of their life within the past 10 years.  
2.  10 years ago I found a trapper on the Wis Trappers website that needed a place to trap.  That first year, he took 9 coyotes and the biggest was a 59 pound male.  Now there are 2 trappers in the area doing a great job keeping the coyote population in check.  
3.  The DNR offers very cheap tree seedlings.  We started planting long needled pine tree seedlings in the early 90's and now have 2 huge areas in which the deer can bed and another area that will be great in a few more years.  

If you guys want to see a crapload of deer some night...drive on Hwy C from Montello to Mike and Cathy's Good Old Days.  We have seen well over 100 deer on a nice fall night.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Well it was definitely another banner year for hunting in good old Marquette County, WI.  We had 5 guys hunting my dad's 80 acres and everyone saw at least 20-25 deer every day on Sat, Sun, and Mon.  Tues was a little slow as a couple of us only saw around 5 deer but the other 2 guys saw a pack of 20 doe/fawns come through.  We bring lunch into the field and hunt all day long.  My brother in law ended up shooting 1 doe and 1 nubbie buck (was a giant for a fawn), one of the guys shot a gnarly 9 point, another guy shot a doe the size of a horse, and I shot 2 big doe.  I passed on half a dozen forks and 6 points so hopefully next year will be big buck heaven!  Plus a neighbor has been trapping the area and I heard he is up to 17 coyotes this year so lots of fawns should make it next summer.  

There are 3 things that have really helped our deer herd:

1.  Probably 15 years ago one of the neighbors went through and talked with everyone about Quality Deer Management.  Most everyone within 5 miles is on board so forks and 6 points rarely get shot.  I don't know anyone that hasn't shot the biggest buck of their life within the past 10 years.  

2.  10 years ago I found a trapper on the Wis Trappers website that needed a place to trap.  That first year, he took 9 coyotes and the biggest was a 59 pound male.  Now there are 2 trappers in the area doing a great job keeping the coyote population in check.  

3.  The DNR offers very cheap tree seedlings.  We started planting long needled pine tree seedlings in the early 90's and now have 2 huge areas in which the deer can bed and another area that will be great in a few more years.  

If you guys want to see a crapload of deer some night...drive on Hwy C from Montello to Mike and Cathy's Good Old Days.  We have seen well over 100 deer on a nice fall night.  

View Quote
It's nice when you have something like that going. Reminds me of my hunting spot 20 years ago.

Next year if it's brown it's down for me. I have been letting small bucks grow for about 17 years, nothing to show for it except for filling doe tags.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#15]

I only hunted for about 2.5hrs this year. Wasn't feeling too good sunday when I got up. Didn't go out. Came home. Didnt go up this weekend due to now being on antibiotics.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#16]
My daughter and I put in some solid hours in the stand this year... 10 hours during the youth hunt ,and another 40 during regular season.  Saw quite a few deer, including 8 today alone, just never got a good shot at one.  Hunting on the ground, even in a ground blind is tough.

This morning we saw 4 doe, they just never came close enough.  Tonight we saw a basket racked buck and a doe, the doe was hauling the mail, and the buck was only visible for about 5 seconds...

We had fun though.  Lots of time to bond inside that ground blind.  The best rifle season I've had in a long time without shooting one.  I didn't even by a tag this year for rifle season.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Season total of deer sighted after hunting various hours on 7 of 9 days... 3. Saw a single doe late Friday, doe & nubbin buck late Saturday. That's more than anyone else in my group of 7, but 4 guys bailed out Monday afternoon and went home. Total of shots heard during entire season was less, much less, than heard on a single day 10-15 years ago. I baited with corn for the 1st time, and without it, I wouldn't have seen the 3 deer I did see.

I saw just as many sets of wolf/coyote tracks while wandering around as I did deer tracks. Crows & ravens led me to a deer carcass picked clean by wolves. It was scattered over a small area.... rib cage/spine/neck/head intact but were separated from the legs... I found 3, 4th leg was likely carried off. Shreds of hide everywhere. Their tracks were all around it (much too big for coyote tracks). Whether or not they dragged it down and killed it, or a hunter wounded it and never recovered it and the wolves cleaned up his mess, I can't say. It was hunting season, and it was fresh (whatever occurred did so after 2" snow fell on Thanksgiving day), and it was a doe in a bucks only county. But OTOH, hunting pressure in the area of Nicolet national forest where we've hunted for decades was the lowest we've ever seen.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Kicked up a few deer on public land this morning running the dogs for grouse on public land  Tons of deer scat as well.  Kind of surprised to see deer back on public land so soon.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:09:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

LOL. I am a locksmith, and it seems like every Friday before deer season, I get a customer or 3 who came up north to deer hunt... but did not bring along their trigger lock keys.

BTW... This year's lost trigger lock key customer had a real nice Kimber.

Your story reminds me of a customer I had a few years ago. Electronic safe lock on a Cabelas gun safe failed.... the afternoon before the opening of bear season, and the owner had a new bear rifle (Marlin 1895G in .45-70) locked inside. It had to be drilled open, I got the call at 7pm from a friend who was a friend of the safe owner. "Can you help him, please.... now? He waited 10 years for the tag and only has the next 3 days off of work". Safe was open by 8:30pm.  Electronic safe lock was replaced with a Sargent & Greenleaf 6730 manual dial lock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a side note, people, don't put off buying your license until the day before the opener! Had a line at the license counter ALL DAY.

Goes for scope mounting too. Told a guy it would be about an hour to mount his scope because of others already being done. He couldn't wait that long cause he had to sight it in that day. "I'll go to gander mountain!".

good luck with that!

I remember those procrastinators from my gun store days.  Remember one desperate guy 1 hour til closing on the Friday before with a dead electric lock from his safe in his hand.  All we could really do for him is sell him a new gun...didnt service safes.   The gunsmith working that night also moonlighted as a locksmith.  He made a housecall after store closing to help the guy out.  This was just one of the many stories that makes me avoid electronic safe locks at all costs.

LOL. I am a locksmith, and it seems like every Friday before deer season, I get a customer or 3 who came up north to deer hunt... but did not bring along their trigger lock keys.

BTW... This year's lost trigger lock key customer had a real nice Kimber.

Your story reminds me of a customer I had a few years ago. Electronic safe lock on a Cabelas gun safe failed.... the afternoon before the opening of bear season, and the owner had a new bear rifle (Marlin 1895G in .45-70) locked inside. It had to be drilled open, I got the call at 7pm from a friend who was a friend of the safe owner. "Can you help him, please.... now? He waited 10 years for the tag and only has the next 3 days off of work". Safe was open by 8:30pm.  Electronic safe lock was replaced with a Sargent & Greenleaf 6730 manual dial lock.

You are the un-sung hero of the north sir. Thanks for helping me out too
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Hunted near Athelstane.  We got one spike and never saw another deer within legal hours.  Maybe they're becoming more nocturnal or something.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hunted near Athelstane.  We got one spike and never saw another deer within legal hours.  Maybe they're becoming more nocturnal or something.
View Quote

I honestly believe they start becoming nocturnal as soon as bow season starts. A sudden increase in humans on their territory makes them skittish, IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:39:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I got a decent doe the last day of season

And my 12 YO nephew shot this
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Becoming more nocturnal? My first deer season was 1964. Deer were nocturnal then too. Nothing has changed.

Quoted:

I honestly believe they start becoming nocturnal as soon as bow season starts. A sudden increase in humans on their territory makes them skittish, IMHO.

Don't know about bow season, would depend on the amount of bow hunters in a particular area, but gun season definitely has that effect. Human activity in the woods increases steadily the week prior to opening day, peaking on the day before, when it seems like everyone goes into the woods to "check their stands" one last time, etc. I set everything up a week to 10 days before the season, then don't go back in the general area until an hour before sunrise on opening day.

eta: When the rut is on, all deer activity changes radically. Deer typically move the most (year round) in the last hour of daylight, overnight, and through the first hour of daylight. Then they settle down for the day. But during the rut, they're on the move at all hours, especially the bucks. The rut occurs late October to early-mid November... bow season. Immediately after the rut, the bucks lay low, as they expended a ton of energy during the rut, and at this time of year is when they move the least as they "recuperate" from all the rutting activity... which in WI, is typically gun season. So there's more at play than just human activity in the woods, IMHO.

That's why my personal choice for hunting methodology during gun season was always to sit in a stand 1st hour & last hour only, move around slowly <VERY slowly> and look for bedded deer in between morning and afternoon. I've killed just as many deer at noon as I have at sunrise/sunset, but not by sitting in one place all day. It's much more successful with snow on the ground to track them to their bedding areas.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Anybody know if the DNR released the deer kill numbers for the whole 9 day season yet? I thought they were supposed to be out by now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anybody know if the DNR released the deer kill numbers for the whole 9 day season yet? I thought they were supposed to be out by now.
View Quote

Right around 205k I think...

199k last year...so numbers are up like 2.5% or something.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I heard that as well, but I believe that was just a projected number not the actual. I haven't seen the actual numbers from the DNR posted anywhere yet. I found this article: http://dnr.wi.gov/news/releases/article/?id=3791 Looks like they are taking their time because this is the first year of the GameReg system.

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 1:37:53 AM EDT
[#27]
NE Polk county, checking in.

Got a ratty 6 pointer Saturday morning, saw 11 deer total.

As for nocturnal, after opening day it is a waste of time to go sit on a stand.  We start driving on Sunday.  Deer just aren't moving during the day once the shooting starts.

Our deer camp got 15 deer this year, which is up from the past two.  9 and 11 were the counts for those years.

It's not the heyday hunts like it was in the early to mid 90's.  We would take 30 to 50 deer, year after year.  Bad winters and wolves have had their impact.

I have never seen so many wolf tracks as I did this year.  Quite a few bear as well.

The biggest change was the number of fishers we all spotted.

If you have a fisher tag and want to fill it, let me know.  I will show you where to go.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I have to say that online registration was awesome.  I was able to register my deer right from the stand!  No more having to drive 20 minutes into town to register deer.  Now if they would just get rid of back tags then Wis might be part of the 21st century!  Funny how even in Texas there aren't back tags and there isn't even deer registration.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have to say that online registration was awesome.  I was able to register my deer right from the stand!  No more having to drive 20 minutes into town to register deer.  Now if they would just get rid of back tags then Wis might be part of the 21st century!  Funny how even in Texas there aren't back tags and there isn't even deer registration.
View Quote

Agree.  Back tags are worthless.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, so much fucking fun poking a hole in a $300 hunting coat for a back tag
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$300 jacket?  Does it shoot the deer for you too?

lol, my $60 jacket has a flap with metal eyelets to hold the back tag...
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#32]
La Crosse County here.  I saw more deer this year than the last 3 combined.  Twenty total during the opening weekend.  I had already shot an 8 pointer with a bow so I was waiting for something bigger.  Saw 7 different young bucks so I'm looking forward to the next few years!
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wear a blaze vest over it, put the tag in that.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just pin it to my backpack.  No one ever complains as long as its on you.  I've checked with a couple dnr guys too and they say as long as it's visible they don't really care.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a bad idea.  I mostly bow hunt for deer, but am inclined to wear orange on public land.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I just pin it to my backpack.  No one ever complains as long as its on you.  I've checked with a couple dnr guys too and they say as long as it's visible they don't really care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mostly hunt out of a tree stand.  Backpack is pretty noisy on the bark of a tree.  I do like the idea about the orange vest.  I don't run into many people bow hunting, especially the areas I kayak into.  The only thing that kind of worries me, is I wear my stand like a backpack.  That obstructs my back tag.  Is that kosher?  The one warden I encountered didn't say a word.  He checked my tags and said thanks for wearing a PFD.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I mostly hunt out of a tree stand.  Backpack is pretty noisy on the bark of a tree.  I do like the idea about the orange vest.  I don't run into many people bow hunting, especially the areas I kayak into.  The only thing that kind of worries me, is I wear my stand like a backpack.  That obstructs my back tag.  Is that kosher?  The one warden I encountered didn't say a word.  He checked my tags and said thanks for wearing a PFD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I bowhunted, I'd wear a camo backpack to & from my stand, and I'd pin the tag to the pack. When I got up into my tree stand, I'd take the pack off and hang it on a hook in the tree, leaving the tag on the pack. I never wore a backtag on my person while bowhunting, because it made noise rubbing against the tree. Never had a problem with legality.

Gun season, I pin it to a blaze fleece vest, which I wear over my blaze wool (Woolrich) parka,  I won't put holes in a $200 coat neither (and the vest gives me extra pockets too, just make sure the vest is a size larger than you'd wear without a coat under it). I wear a backpack going in & out, but I hunt from a ground blind, so noise against a tree ins't an issue. But if I hunted from a tree stand, I'd do the same thing as I did when bowhunting. Pin it to my backpack, hang the backpack on the tree next to me. Most people do wear a backpack when going to & from a stand. A backpack can cover it if it's on your coat, the wardens I've talked to don't care if it's on your coat or on your pack, as long as it's there somewhere, they've understood the hassle of moving that tag from pack to coat, coat to pack, etc.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#39]
^-------   This exactly.  It pissed me off so much being on my back and scraping the tree, getting caught up in my harness strap, etc... Honestly now it's actually more visible hanging on my backpack next to me in my stand.  I honestly do the same thing during gun and it's actually visible while walking in/out too while on my backpack.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#40]
I was reading some DNR related ticket write ups in a hunting publication and there were several where a conservation officer observed a bowhunter with a backpack hanging from a tree and the tag attached to the backpack instead of the hunter and they received a ticket.  Now there was always something else the hunters were ticketed for in addition to the back tag ticket.

I'm guessing it's an add on ticket if you're blatantly breaking the rules.  I've had pretty good dealings so far with WI fish and game folks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone going out for the late antlerless hunt? I'll be out Thursday night after work. My County has 900+ private land doe tags left. Might as well try to fill some
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

How hard is it to get a fisher tag?

Like trapper license and an extra fee?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NE Polk county, checking in.

Got a ratty 6 pointer Saturday morning, saw 11 deer total.

As for nocturnal, after opening day it is a waste of time to go sit on a stand.  We start driving on Sunday.  Deer just aren't moving during the day once the shooting starts.

Our deer camp got 15 deer this year, which is up from the past two.  9 and 11 were the counts for those years.

It's not the heyday hunts like it was in the early to mid 90's.  We would take 30 to 50 deer, year after year.  Bad winters and wolves have had their impact.

I have never seen so many wolf tracks as I did this year.  Quite a few bear as well.

The biggest change was the number of fishers we all spotted.

If you have a fisher tag and want to fill it, let me know.  I will show you where to go.

How hard is it to get a fisher tag?

Like trapper license and an extra fee?

Yep.  You have to apply for a Fisher tag before Aug 1.

Zone A is where we deer hunt and it takes 3 years to get a tag.  I think I might start applying for zone F.  No wait for that zone.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#43]
I hang my back tag off my chest rig's H-harness with zip ties so it is basically right up near my neck - no problems with noise on trees since it is tucked in pretty tight (not flopping around).  I just wear the chest rig over my blaze orange pullover and still have plenty of orange showing.  It's nice to not have to go into a backpack for anything.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Myself and everyone in my hunting party wear backpacks with the tag on the pack. It's always visible while performing the act of hunting.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top