Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2015 5:43:19 PM EDT
So we are razing our American Legion Post. The new post will be done by 4 July 2016.

I have NUMEROUS donors from out of WI with REPLICA (WW2, Vietnam, etc.) FIREARMS to be donated to our historical area (3 walls inside the new post).

Guess what....WI does not allow it by law unless the firearms are a development prior to year 1898?

941.297  Sale or distribution of imitation firearms.
(1) In this section, "look-alike firearm" means any imitation of any original firearm that was manufactured, designed and produced after December 31, 1897, including and limited to toy guns, water guns, replica nonguns, and air-soft guns firing nonmetallic projectiles. "Look-alike firearm" does not include any imitation, nonfiring, collector replica of an antique firearm developed prior to 1898, or any traditional beebee, paint-ball or pellet-firing air gun that expels a projectile through the force of air pressure.
(2) Beginning November 1, 1992, no person may sell or distribute any look-alike firearm. Whoever violates this subsection is subject to a Class A forfeiture.
941.297(3) (3) This section does not apply to the sale or distribution of a look-alike firearm that complies with the marking or waiver requirements under 15 USC 5001 (b).

Doesn't this include all Airsoft sold everywhere in WI?

I am lost...

V
OUT
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Stupid law is stupid. And probably largely unenforceable on the average guy.

It only applies to the SALE and DISTRIBUTION of said items. Not possession.

So if someone really wanted to bust your balls about said facsimile firearms and the law, then you have no idea who you got them from.

Also, the federal law as noted:

(a) Acts prohibited

It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, enter into commerce, ship, transport, or receive any toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm unless such firearm contains, or has affixed to it, a marking approved by the Secretary of Commerce, as provided in subsection (b) of this section.
(b) Distinctive marking or device; exception; waiver; adjustments and changes
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) or (3), each toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm shall have as an integral part, permanently affixed, a blaze orange plug inserted in the barrel of such toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm. Such plug shall be recessed no more than 6 millimeters from the muzzle end of the barrel of such firearm.
(2) The Secretary of Commerce may provide for an alternate marking or device for any toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm not capable of being marked as provided in paragraph (1) and may waive the requirement of any such marking or device for any toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm that will only be used in the theatrical, movie or television industry.
(3) The Secretary is authorized to make adjustments and changes in the marking system provided for by this section, after consulting with interested persons.
View Quote

My personal take on the matter is ignore it and drive on.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried buying a blank firing pistol online from Sportsman Guide, to use as a dog training device back in about 1999 when I got a Lab puppy. They would not ship one to a WI address, saying it was illegal for them to do so. They did sell me some .32 caliber blanks, so I bought a real .32 caliber H&R revolver at a local gun shop.

There's a local museum that has a small WWII display. In a glass case are some WWII era weapons... Thompson, Garand, M2 carbine, and 1911. They look real enough, but I find it hard to believe that they'd display real working guns (Thompson & M2 would be NFA if real) of that value in a building with minimal security. So, I wonder, are places like museums exempt?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tried buying a blank firing pistol online from Sportsman Guide, to use as a dog training device back in about 1999 when I got a Lab puppy. They would not ship one to a WI address, saying it was illegal for them to do so. They did sell me some .32 caliber blanks, so I bought a real .32 caliber H&R revolver at a local gun shop.

There's a local museum that has a small WWII display. In a glass case are some WWII era weapons... Thompson, Garand, M2 carbine, and 1911. They look real enough, but I find it hard to believe that they'd display real working guns (Thompson & M2 would be NFA if real) of that value in a building with minimal security. So, I wonder, are places like museums exempt?
View Quote

Believe it or not, we had WW2 NFA items Demilled (welded and cut to ATF specs) that were donated to museums in lieu of destruction when I was in NV.

That is the issue - they won't ship. I have a few people willing to spend a couple grand to buy through those out of state replica sales websites. Issue, they won't ship.

I figured since all replica guns we are trying to buy have an orange plugged barrel, they would comply with this:

Except as provided in paragraph (2) or (3), each toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm shall have as an integral part, permanently affixed, a blaze orange plug inserted in the barrel of such toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm. Such plug shall be recessed no more than 6 millimeters from the muzzle end of the barrel of such firearm.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting.

The veterans museum in Madison has some nice replica weapon displays.  I wonder how they acquired them.  Maybe there's some sort of special exemption one can request?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Adultery is a class I felony in Wisconsin.  Wis. Stat. 944.16.  See all the cops out there, arresting everyone having affairs?  After all those felons are taken down, they'll start on the replica firearm offenses, which are merely a forfeiture, not a misdemeanor or felony.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Enforcement, or the lack of it, is not the issue. Online retailers still will not sell & ship a replica to a WI address regardless of the rate of citations (not) issued.... and that makes it a dumb, stupid law that should be removed from the books. If it's not enforced, why keep it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it's not enforced, why keep it?
View Quote

No argument from me. But probably hard to find politicians willing to go on the record voting pro-adultery, or pro-replica-firearm-that-will-get-a- unthinking-kid mistaken for an armed person.  Frankly, I'm shocked the switchblade bill has done as well as it has.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Enforcement, or the lack of it, is not the issue. Online retailers still will not sell & ship a replica to a WI address regardless of the rate of citations (not) issued.... and that makes it a dumb, stupid law that should be removed from the books. If it's not enforced, why keep it?
View Quote

That's my point; getting someone to ship because of the law...again silly law.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top