Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2015 6:36:04 PM EDT
A shout out to the WI HTF.

Next month I am going to be driving down the Western half of WI from Duluth MN to Dubuque, IA

Can anyone throw out some suggestions of things to do, or one of a kind places to eat?Just burning up vacation time, so my schedule is pretty open.

A stop a Leinenkugels is planned.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, in Alma there is Buena Vista park up on the bluffs over the river.

Up Hwy 88 in a town named Prauge, there's a burger and beer bar named Bucknuckles.  Fun place to stop at, kinda like Shenanigians from Super Troopers but without the pistol whipping
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The western half is kinda empty in this state.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are in LaCrosse at dinner time at at Piggy's
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The river front at Prairie Du Chien is sort of neat.  There are some historical buildings there. (if you like that sort of stuff)  There is a notorious rich guy buying up all sorts of historical places and fixing them up.  PDC is one of the oldest villages in WI.  Also a grounded tug boat on the north side if you like that kind of stuff. "L. Wilbur Childress" or something like that.

Potosi brewery is interesting but might be busy for the last few warm days of the year (motorcyclists, bicyclists and old people from Iowa).

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, a few places I wouldn't have thought of.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, in Alma there is Buena Vista park up on the bluffs over the river.

Up Hwy 88 in a town named Prauge, there's a burger and beer bar named Bucknuckles.  Fun place to stop at, kinda like Shenanigians from Super Troopers but without the pistol whipping
View Quote

Bucknuckles is owned by a former boss of mine, Dennis. Good guy.. Keep an eye out for the Holstein colored smart car lol.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
/if in Chippewa already, got south to Eau Claire

go to Rays

its a shit hole bar, but best beef and ham sammichs anywhere...be sure to load up with the mustard!!!!

I go out of my way to stop there when I can
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#8]
If you huff the air in Eau Claire you might get better at USPSA. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The western half is kinda empty in this state.
View Quote

Take the great river road (35) south out of Superior.  It takes you through the driftless area along the St Croix and Mississippi Rivers.

Along that route you will find lots of places to stop off for all kinds of activities.  Taking it from Superior there are way too many things to do in one day.

In Superior you have the Dick Bong Museum.

About 40 minutes south you have a state park with the tallest waterfall in WI.

Next stop is the Dalles of the St Croix River.  Pretty cool area.  Cliffs over 100 feet tall over the river.  When we were kids we jumped from them.  They frown on that now.

As you move south you go from flat or rolling hills to the areas where the Glaciers missed all those years ago.  This starts south of Hudson.  Deep valleys and high bluffs are the norm.

You won't have time to see much, but it is one hell of a drive in the fall.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top