Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2015 10:52:38 AM EDT
Question....

Do Wisconsin FFL's charge sales tax on a gun purchased through an internet vendor in another State and sent to them for transfer?  I'm not talking sales tax on their transfer services, I mean sales tax for the cost of the firearm itself.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]
t's not their responsibility to charge tax, it's yours.  Technically you are supposed to claim this on your taxes but no one does.  All the talk about legalizing pot to fix the deficiet or other ideas could be cured real quick if they just started charging sales tax on internet purchases so people pay like they're supposed to.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, there's been several threads on this in the past. As someone who owns a business and pays sales tax collected every quarter, I don't see how an FFL can figure that into the tax form he must fill out, to calculate his payment due. Sales tax due is calculated on the percentage (in his location) of his sales revenue. For example, for me it's 5.5%. Certain counties also have a stadium tax, mine doesn't. It's not the FFL's sale (no revenue taken in) so how does that fit in the calculation? It doesn't. Other than his transfer fee, his sales revenue on this transaction is ZERO, therefore other than his transfer fee, any sales tax collected by him from you on this transaction would also be ZERO.... except any tax due on the transfer fee.  

Personally, I wouldn't pay an FFL sales tax on anything other than his transfer fee... unless HE sent the payment to the seller. If he sent payment and I must then pay him, then he bought the gun, and is in turn, re-selling it to me and sales tax is due.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
t's not their responsibility to charge tax, it's yours.  Technically you are supposed to claim this on your taxes but no one does.  All the talk about legalizing pot to fix the deficiet or other ideas could be cured real quick if they just started charging sales tax on internet purchases so people pay like they're supposed to.
View Quote

LOL

+1!

V
OUT
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wisconsin has already started to "go after" people who are not paying their tax.   The WI DOR is getting information from online retailers and then sending out letters to those who it feels should be claiming these purchases.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If the state IRS wants to start doing this I would think firearms would be one of the first things they go after because of the fact that they're so documented.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If the state IRS wants to start doing this I would think firearms would be one of the first things they go after because of the fact that they're so documented.
View Quote

I am sure that Amazon is more cooperative than the average firearm dealer with providing names and information.  I can't see any reputable dealer doing so without a court order.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am sure that Amazon is more cooperative than the average firearm dealer with providing names and information.  I can't see any reputable dealer doing so without a court order.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't see Amazon doing it without a court order either.  And a HUGE legal fight going all the way to the SCOTUS.  No tax is one of Amazon's big selling points.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can't see Amazon doing it without a court order either.  And a HUGE legal fight going all the way to the SCOTUS.  No tax is one of Amazon's big selling points.
View Quote

Not any more.  Amazon now charges WI residents Sales Tax.  Amazon collects sales tax in at least 23 States now.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not any more.  Amazon now charges WI residents Sales Tax.  Amazon collects sales tax in at least 23 States now.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% spot on.  

My last order was charged sales tax.  

Pretty sure that huge distribution center in Kenosha may have something to do with it too.

Anyway....Anyone know of an FFL in the Jackson/Grafton/Saukville area that doesn't charge sales tax on internet gun purchases?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

100% spot on.  

Pretty sure that huge distribution center in Kenosha may have something to do with it too.

Anyway....Anyone know of an FFL in the Jackson/Grafton/Saukville area that doesn't charge sales tax on internet gun purchases?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% spot on.  

Why would any FFL charge taxes?

Aren't they like the USPS but for guns?

I can understand a fee for service, but not tax, especially if the gun received was not purchased.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I can understand a fee for service, but not tax, especially if the gun received was not purchased.

V

OUT
View Quote

Probably padding their pocket by "charging" tax on out of state purchases. Wouldn't put it past some of them.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Probably padding their pocket by "charging" tax on out of state purchases. Wouldn't put it past some of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V
OUT

If they charge a sales tax on an item that they have not actually sold and obtained income from, when they fill out their sales tax return form, that tax collected will not be calculated into their amount due if there's not the corresponding sale amount the tax was charged on, included in their gross sales figure (which there won't be, because it was not a sale by them... unless they want to "claim" money they didn't take in, on their return ).

So yes, in effect, they are pocketing the money if you are charged sales tax on a gun YOU paid someone for (someone other than the transferring dealer charging you sales tax).  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amazon already takes WI sales tax.

That was part of the deal with the new distribution depot in Kenosha.  Because they have a physical presence in the state, now they do the tax.  (All to serve chitcago customers faster.)  Though, there has been a significant reduction in shipping times for some items.

They'll go after firearms because the affirmative action cunts in the IRS are leftists.  So far, the pressure has been on people buying stuff like large boats online where there's a couple thousand in taxes to go after.  Hunting for 100 here, 200 there doesn't pay off yet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top