Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2015 8:19:51 PM EDT
I'm ready for the sept 12 bow season. My area has 600 doe tags at $12 a pop so I'll buy one more.
I was able to shoot 2 bucks and 2 does last year. I'll buy a gun tag too and hunt with crossbow.
I'm seeing lots of deer here in the south.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm more excited for grouse season, but my uncle is bugging me to come up and kill a deer or two.  Always fun sitting up in a deer stand on a cool fall morning waiting for a deer to come sauntering along.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm putting in my food plots this week(I know, I'm late). I'm excited.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Been checking cams and shooting my bow religiously.  I haven't been seeing squat for deer round Green county...but we have 4 shooters picked out on our lease in Richland county.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Still waiting until I can find a nice crossbow dirt cheap...

V
OUT
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

V
OUT
View Quote

Not sure that exists but recall last year Glockface posted some good options.  I didn't get one yet but I think I will for next year.  My shoulder can't hold the draw of a bow well anymore and hunting in early Fall has real appeal to me.  GF's crossbow can penetrate two aluminum F-150's and a small mobile home.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I gave up bow hunting after the 2006 season. There just weren't enough deer around my area to make it worth while. I'd see more bears & coyotes than deer on a typical day in the tree stand. While bear baiting this summer, in the same area where I used to have great success deer hunting, I've now got over 10,000 trail cam pictures from 3 cameras since June 14th, at 3 different bait sites. You know how many deer are in those 10K pics? ZERO!! Over 500 pictures of a 5 member wolf pack, 9000+ pics of about 15 different bears.

To be successful at bow hunting takes time & determination. I'd much rather duck or grouse hunt.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't wait!  I'm flying up at the end of Sept and the 1st week of Nov.  The landowner to the east of my family's land in Marquette Co has been seeing tons of deer and has some great bucks on camera.  Sucks having to buy a $165 out of state bow license and another $165 gun license when I pay almost $6k in property taxes every year but oh well.  My donation to the DNR!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not sure that exists but recall last year Glockface posted some good options.  I didn't get one yet but I think I will for next year.  My shoulder can't hold the draw of a bow well anymore and hunting in early Fall has real appeal to me.  GF's crossbow can penetrate two aluminum F-150's and a small mobile home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V
OUT

I just want an to excuse to hunt with a crossbow. I missed a really good deal on a brand-new 10 point. My friend knows a guy who cut off three fingers with it and didn't want to have it any longer. But he sold it to someone he didn't know so that the crossbow would be as far away from him as possible. My loss. Meat isn't an issue because I cull deer locally under contract. I can't wait to use my new AAC micro 7 and Gemtech can this year on them.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Have the blind locations all picked out. I'll wait till next weekend to put them up. Cameras are doing their jobs. Have a few really nice bucks coming into the water hole. Bunch of forks and does coming in nightly from 6-730 PM. Hope to shoot a couple really quick to fill the freeze so I can get back to fishin.

Just got my Hawk scope for the PSE Tac15 and have to sight her in. Even with the old scope the PSE is one nasty weapon. Can't wait to see how the Hawke works out.

If anyone is looking for a cheap crossbow PSE came out with the FANG this summer. Nice package deal for around $300.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't wait to shoot deer this season. This is my first season shooting deer and I have quite a bit coming on my property here. Started a food plot a few weeks back and it's growing nicely.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can't wait!  I'm flying up at the end of Sept and the 1st week of Nov.  The landowner to the east of my family's land in Marquette Co has been seeing tons of deer and has some great bucks on camera.  Sucks having to buy a $165 out of state bow license and another $165 gun license when I pay almost $6k in property taxes every year but oh well.  My donation to the DNR!
View Quote

Consider  yourself lucky....most non resident deer tags are double that and then some.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#12]
My two top bucks thus far:

Righty:

Kicker:

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Have the blind locations all picked out. I'll wait till next weekend to put them up. Cameras are doing their jobs. Have a few really nice bucks coming into the water hole. Bunch of forks and does coming in nightly from 6-730 PM. Hope to shoot a couple really quick to fill the freeze so I can get back to fishin.

Just got my Hawk scope for the PSE Tac15 and have to sight her in. Even with the old scope the PSE is one nasty weapon. Can't wait to see how the Hawke works out.

If anyone is looking for a cheap crossbow PSE came out with the FANG this summer. Nice package deal for around $300.
View Quote

Just looked that up. Backorder 13-15 weeks at cabelas!
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Just went out and checked out our tree stands; double checking the straps and making sure that the stands aren't squeaking and the shooting lanes are still clear.  

We have not had any good bucks come by our cameras, but I'm not losing hope at all.  The neighbor behind us with 120 acres have been thinning their trees for a cut this winter, so their place is a tangled mess.  And I've got permission to hunt their land .  Found a lot of bedding sites so far, so I know the big boys are laying low on his land.  My most promising stand is set up just on the edge of where our woods and their clear cuts starts.  

Can't wait.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't bow hunted since my 3 back surgeries but still get excited this time of year. Though I only duck and coyote hunt now I still get all giddy when bow season rolls around. Good luck to all of you!

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#17]
. Dave at Wyverncreations has them in stock!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm jelly of your hunting spot. Lol public hunting for the last 10 years for me.  
View All Quotes

Thanks!  I still hunt public too when I can't make it up to this lease.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to check stands today. Haven't touched the land since December.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thanks!  I still hunt public too when I can't make it up to this lease.
View All Quotes
I just miss the days when I had a spot close to home that had big bucks like those.

Pre CWD days.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just miss the days when I had a spot close to home that had big bucks like those.   Pre CWD days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I just miss the days when I had a spot close to home that had big bucks like those.   Pre CWD days.

I hear ya there.

CWD really fucked this deer herd up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Today would of been a nice hunting day!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yup.  Lots of deer moving

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Totally.  I can't wait to see what my cameras got
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I got a doe Monday morning at 7:15am. I had to move fast to get her out due to the heat.
I had a small yearling walk by me this morning but he needs to grow up a bit. I was out of the woods by 8:30am.
Just too hot!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#26]
So....the jack hole that we were leasing from lost the land back to the original owner...

Back to public land I go.  Crossbow hunters are THICK out there.  Perfectly able mid 20's human beings carrying crossbows....what a shame.  Have some honor people!

Not really...I don't care what people use...i'm just pissed  cuz all my usual spots that never have anyone there are chuck full of people.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:06:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So....the jack hole that we were leasing from lost the land back to the original owner...

Back to public land I go.  Crossbow hunters are THICK out there.  Perfectly able mid 20's human beings carrying crossbows....what a shame.  Have some honor people!

Not really...I don't care what people use...i'm just pissed  cuz all my usual spots that never have anyone there are chuck full of people.
View Quote

My dad uses a crossbow(he has bad arthritis). I tried it once. It's fun to shoot, but I'll stick with my old compound. In going up tomorrow and will be hunting through Sunday. Hopefully there will be some movement, but I'm just glad to be back in the stand.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#28]
First time bow hunting for me.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet you are one of those guys carrying a compound box with 80% letoff, fiber optic sights, carbon arrows, and shooting a release.  Unless you are shooting a wood recurve, you have NO business calling someone shooting a crossbow dishonorable. If not, then you are a freaking hypocrite.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I bet you are one of those guys carrying a compound box with 80% letoff, fiber optic sights, carbon arrows, and shooting a release.  Unless you are shooting a wood recurve, you have NO business calling someone shooting a crossbow dishonorable. If not, then you are a freaking hypocrite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here....let me post my last sentence that you were too angry at me to even read: "Not really...I don't care what people use...i'm just pissed  cuz all my usual spots that never have anyone there are chuck full of people."

So calm your tits, buttercup.  I've shot crossbows, they're FAR easier to shoot in all manners than vertical bows of any kind.  That's simply a fact, not an opinion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#31]
If it's legal weapon I'm all for it, if I don't like a weapon then I won't hunt with it.
That's fine if you want to. To each their own!
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If it's legal weapon I'm all for it, if I don't like a weapon then I won't hunt with it.
That's fine if you want to. To each their own!
View Quote

+1

Hunters and gun owners are our own worst enemy.  Compound bow hunters rag on crossbow hunters.  Recurve hunters rap on compound hunters.  Traditional black powder rag on inline muzzleloaders, Glock verse 1911....the list goes on and one.  Why can't people just enjoy that we have all of these different options instead of bitching against others?  

I have taken trophy bucks with rifle, shotgun, and compound bow.  Next on my list is a crossbow buck and then I'll be onto either handgun or maybe a recurve.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
First time bow hunting for me.  

View Quote

Same boat.  I'm more excited than I probably should be.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 2:03:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I didn't see squat this weekend. Still, it was nice to be out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I didn't see squat this weekend. Still, it was nice to be out.
View Quote

It's been great weather to be in a tree.  I saw a yearling doe Sunday around 5, came through browsing at about 20 yards.  About 10 squirrels tho...first time I've seen that many squirrels on public land in a long time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Tons of deer movement this weekend.  Hunted the escape routes and let the duck hunters push the deer my way.  Looks like the deer are starting to ground scrape as well.

Travel corridors in close proximity to acorns seem to be a recipe for success.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I have trail camera video of bucks fighting...not just sparring, but legit pushing each other around fighting.

Trail cams are also showing a lot more movement in the last several days.  My daughter will be out with the AR for youth weekend, hopefully this trend keeps up and the warmer weather this week doesn't shut it down.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Remember, Youth gun hunt this weekend.  Wear that orange!!!

I'll be out with my 10 year old daughter trying to get her first deer on the ground with the AR!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top