User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's also a fact if you try to "opt out" of any thing having to due with your dues and the unions in the building trades. The union BA will "opt out" in finding you work! Just saying, seen it first hand.
View Quote

Also true that if you do a little side job on your own, in your trade, and the union "BA" catches you, you either grease his palm or get booted out of the union. Been there, done that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]
[b]Quoted:[/

Interesting to see how some donors contribute equally to both sides...hedging their bets?  Or the "Republican Governors Associations" contribution to the Democratic party isn't a big zero.  
View Quote

They don't care who wins......bribe both parties, and guarantee political favors, no matter who wins, in return. They are all crooks. One political party would be incapable of F'ing up this country this much.....it's a team effort, and the working stiffs continue to get the short end of the stick, with a couple of crumbs tossed your way to keep you voting for them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's also a fact if you try to "opt out" of any thing having to due with your dues and the unions in the building trades. The union BA will "opt out" in finding you work! Just saying, seen it first hand.
View Quote
Not surprising

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Sure a bunch of jerks on here that don't understand the concept of a team effort.......must be something to do with the me generation. Really sickening. Sort of explains how our elected officials go about getting things done.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sure a bunch of jerks on here that don't understand the concept of a team effort.......must be something to do with the me generation. Really sickening. Sort of explains how our elected officials go about getting things done.
View Quote

Exactly how unions go on strike (like teachers a few years ago) because they "feel" they're not being treated fairly?  

That's a team effort?  

And I'm old?  Lol!  

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
Unions wholeheartedly supported and continue to fully support Obama.  Fuck them both and anyone who still backs Barry.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:20:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol, because Wisconsin has been run by a "team effort" for the last thirty years right?
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:14:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Team effort like when I got yelled at for helping an electrical apprentice carry 10' conduit bundles into a resort that was being remodeled? Like us flooring installers were doing anything since we were caught up. Yep unions are about "teamwork".

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Are you kidding?
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are you kidding?
View Quote

Are you lost?
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Are you kidding?
View Quote

Nope. Not at all. Got the "its not your job" BS from what I gathered was the electric workers union steward. I just gave him a fuck off look. Yeah I may be 5'6" so the intimidating posturing the guy started doing was just amusing to me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Napoleon syndrome.....I get it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Napoleon syndrome.....I get it.
View Quote

Unions go waaaay beyond that.

It is a systemic issue that primarily objectifies the individual for the sake of the individual over, at all times, the good of the workers or the company for the sake of the Job itself or the customer (generally being the general public itself).

I agree in the concept of fair wages. But, business being what it is, fair is often a perspectual concept.

I personally view the propensity for corruption in unions to be their own demise. That goes for political & non-political assertions. I would rather work, & have those work for me, in freedom rather than under the convoluted & oppressive constructs of union labor.

But that's just me. I'm a freedom loving kind of guy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Back when I was in the roofers union (did my 20 years in hell), one incident turned me against unions forever. I worked for a very large company (100+ employees) that did nothing but commercial & industrial flat roofing on mostly new construction, all over N.E. Illinois. A store like a K-Mart or Walmart was a "small" job for this company.. we did most of the shopping malls, we did McCormack Place. I was the foreman of the "set up" crew. I had a crane (with an operating engineers operator), and a dozen guys. Our job was to stock a roof deck in preparation for the installation. We'd space the roofing material out where it needed to be for the installation, using 4 wheel carts to haul pallets of roof material lifted up by the crane with a pallet fork, which we unloaded by hand.

We always installed insulation over the roof deck as the first step. I was setting up a job on a large new warehouse project, and 8 semi-loads of 2" thick, 2'X4' foam insulation were to arrive that day, coming from Mansfield Ohio to the jobsite in a N.W. suburb of Chicago. Unbeknownst to us, the plumbers union went on strike that very day, and pickets were set up. We were told we could not cross the picket lines by the plumbers BA. I called the company I worked for, they said bullshit we weren't informed of any strike, do your job and put the insulation on the roof deck. Tell them we'll honor their picket lines and it won't be installed until their strike was over, but we cannot just "send it back" to Ohio. It was a fair compromise. Their union never informed our union of any impending labor action, which they were supposed to do... if they had, we would have held up the delivery before they left Ohio the day before.

I politely informed the plumbers BA that we cannot just send 8 semis back to Ohio, we weren't informed prior as was customary, there wasn't room to just unload the cargo on the ground, that we were going to put it on the roof, but nothing will be installed until their strike was over. The general contractor's rep was by my side, trying to explain to the plumbers that we were in effect honoring their pickets by not installing the roof material, but the financial loss to my company was unacceptable if we didn't unload it. Plumbers wouldn't budge, got nasty, names were called etc. Fuck 'em. Cops were called by the general contractor, and we did our job. The semi drivers, all members of teamster union, backed our position. They actually stood guard over our private vehicles, because the plumbers threatened flat tires etc. It was ugly, two of our BAs came out, got nose to nose with the plumbers. Left a bad taste for union bullshit that I never forgot.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top