Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2015 1:19:05 PM EDT
Does anybody use an AR in 300 Blackout, aka 7.62x35mm, Like, dislike?

I'm giving up on 5.45x39 and re-barreling my M4 S&W M&P to 223, same configuration.  Whilst I'm at it, why not build another upper, same barrel length.

I have no intention of getting a suppressor.  Just sounded like a practical, interesting, project.

I'm reading up on it, but as usual, everybody loves or hates it.

TIA, Tony
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an 8.5" SBR in 300BO, it's a neat little round that reloads very easily.  Bullets are more than 22 caliber but they also make a bigger hole  I used it one day for deer hunting last year but didn't get a shot so I can't tell you about performance in that regard.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried the blackout for a while and settled on the 277 wolverine which in my opinion out performs the blackout

info on the 277 wolverine
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:35:55 AM EDT
[#3]
That 277 looks neat.

I have an 8" suppressed blackout.  It's giggly quiet.  Love it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:04:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my 8.2" Noveske, its all sorts of fun.

Personally I wouldn't have bothered with the caliber if I didn't reload, SBR it and suppress it.        

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 8.2" 300blk SBR and love it... for what it is.

300blk is a fantastic round and specifically, the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX loading (in their VOR-TX line, on the shelf at Cabelas) is an amazing load.  Think of it as a 30-30 but with modern bullet design from a much more ergonomic and customizable platform.  My last lot has an extreme spread of 8fps.  8-fuckin'-fps.  I had holes touching from an 8.2" barrel at 200 yards when I went to confirm zero prior to deer season last year (my first!).  I did have one lot early in production that was "bad," (shot about 3-4MOA) but no problems since.

That said, unless you require a short barrel or barrier blind performance it doesn't offer much else over a quality 5.56 loading and it costs twice as much to shoot.  I would not even consider it for barrel lengths over 10.5" since at 11.5" you can get pretty good results from 5.56.  At 16" I think it is silly.

Subsonics are fun for plinking but not for any serious work.  I'd take an 8" 300blk loaded with 110gr Barnes and no can as a perfect little PDW any day of the week.  Silencer is the icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I built one to run suppressed.  Just haven't really got it cooking yet since I can't find any 1680 in stock, at normal prices.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I've built a few in 8", 10.5" and 16". They all have performed flawlessly. The 10.5" is my deer rifle, and I use the Barnes TSX as mentioned above. It's a really nice round from what I have read about it for hunting,but I  haven't seen anything the last 2 years to test it myself.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The 110gr TSX, TAC-X, and the TAC-TX are all discrete projectiles.  The one designed for 300blk and loaded in the 110gr VOR-TX (P/N 21548) is the TAC-TX, P/N 30321.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I hunt with a 16" PWS 300BLK upper on my beater lower, also use Barnes VOR-TX.  I've found that it's an incredibly accurate little round making a nice size hole that won't have my ears ringing for an hour like my Browning 7mm mag.  No problem taking a shot out to 200 yards, never going to see anything further on my property anyways.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info!  

From the looks of things, this just involves building a carbine upper, 308 type muzzle attachment.  Else, normal.

I have to convert a 5.45 carbine to 223 (barrel arrives tomorrow) first.  Then..........................

Thanks again, Tony  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info!  

From the looks of things, this just involves building a carbine upper, 308 type muzzle attachment.  Else, normal.

I have to convert a 5.45 carbine to 223 (barrel arrives tomorrow) first.  Then..........................

Thanks again, Tony  
View Quote

Yeah, that's basically it for a 14.5in P&W or 16in.  One thing is to use plastic mags or modify the GI mags a bit, with the standard GI metals I have i noticed some gouging of the bullets when chambered.  I love the round and would shoot it over 556 any day, the only issue is cost, but it's my go-to for hunting.  Deer up north in november or hogs down here, it's pretty versatile.  Doesn't hurt that the rounds look like mini ballistic missiles either.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I know you said you have no intention of getting a suppressor.  If the reason is cost I'll just leave this here seeing how you like practical interesting projects:

A friend built one and it's just a quiet as my factory can.  Even without the suppressor if you don't mind the cost of the rounds or reload it's an interesting gun to have.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I tried the blackout for a while and settled on the 277 wolverine which in my opinion out performs the blackout

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
That 277 looks neat.

I too had a BLK build I did for the heck of it. I sold it shortly after building my first 277WLV.

I had read about the 277WLV on the 68forums when he first started developing it & almost ordered one with the first-50. I waited until he offered shorter barrels. I first started off with a 1/11 10.5" & then went to a 1/7 10.5. I also picked up a 18". I was actually the first guy in the country to run a 277WLV subsonic.

Yes the WLV is superior to the BLK in many aspects.

The are a number of us in WI that have one, or two... Also, the first loaded ammo for the WLV was available right here in WI.

I have some video of me shooting a sub-sonic suppressed WLV on an SOT FA posty. It shoots like a BB-gun with 150grns.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I built one to run suppressed.  Just haven't really got it cooking yet since I can't find any 1680 in stock, at normal prices.
View Quote

I run my 208gr AMAX's with about 11.0gr's of IMR4198 and it works awesome - they run about 1050fps (and about 1070 if I use 11.2gr).  I use and AAC 9" upper and a SDN-6 for my can.   I've been able to find the IMR4198 without issue which is also what I use for my 6.8SPC loads.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I too had a BLK build I did for the heck of it. I sold it shortly after building my first 277WLV.

I had read about the 277WLV on the 68forums when he first started developing it & almost ordered one with the first-50. I waited until he offered shorter barrels. I first started off with a 1/11 10.5" & then went to a 1/7 10.5. I also picked up a 18". I was actually the first guy in the country to run a 277WLV subsonic.

The are a number of us in WI that have one, or two... Also, the first loaded ammo for the WLV was available right here in WI.

I have some video of me shooting a sub-sonic suppressed WLV on an SOT FA posty. It shoots like a BB-gun with 150grns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
That 277 looks neat.

What makes it better?  I'd love to see the videos.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is IMR4198 still running as clean with .200AAC's and the backpressure of a can as it does in 5.56?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run my 208gr AMAX's with about 11.0gr's of IMR4198 and it works awesome - they run about 1050fps (and about 1070 if I use 11.2gr).  I use and AAC 9" upper and a SDN-6 for my can.   I've been able to find the IMR4198 without issue which is also what I use for my 6.8SPC loads.

Is IMR4198 still running as clean with .200AAC's and the backpressure of a can as it does in 5.56?

I'll try and answer what I think you were asking.

It runs clean for me - after 25 rounds the last 5 in the mag are still shiny.  I have may be 1400 rounds through my upper and it still runs like a dream with no cleaning so far.  Cycles great with a standard PSA buffer or an H2 buffer.  My brother and I are about to start screwing around with those 203gr coated bullets this weekend or next.  Should cut reloading costs down to below $0.17/rnd for subsonic loads.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Can the 4198 be used to run supersonics as well?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
That 277 looks neat.

I too had a BLK build I did for the heck of it. I sold it shortly after building my first 277WLV. http://youtu.be/3iKzh8ZDjJA

I had read about the 277WLV on the 68forums when he first started developing it & almost ordered one with the first-
50. I waited until he offered shorter barrels. I first started off with a 1/11 10.5" & then went to a 1/7 10.5. I also picked up a 18". I was actually the first guy in the country to run a 277WLV subsonic.

Here is a link to a simple breakdown of a few comparable rounds.  277WLV comparison

I found one of me running supers but I am still looking for the subs one... Otherwise, here is one from a WI ammo man. that makes WLV brass & ammo.

Here is another one of another user... Doing a breakdown between the two using subs.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks!

I was dithering whether to pull the trigger on 8lbs of it. I know it has a reputation of being a very clean burning powder in 5.56/.223 loads, so I was wondering if it still did in subs, with the blowback of a suppressor.

I too am working up some powdercoated lead 230gr bullets using the Lee mold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It runs clean for me - after 25 rounds the last 5 in the mag are still shiny.  I have may be 1400 rounds through my upper and it still runs like a dream with no cleaning so far.  Cycles great with a standard PSA buffer or an H2 buffer.  My brother and I are about to start screwing around with those 203gr coated bullets this weekend or next.  Should cut reloading costs down to below $0.17/rnd for subsonic loads.

Thanks!

I was dithering whether to pull the trigger on 8lbs of it. I know it has a reputation of being a very clean burning powder in 5.56/.223 loads, so I was wondering if it still did in subs, with the blowback of a suppressor.

I might be cheaper to order these here.  I know about the doing everything yourself feeling and stuff but...  http://palmettoprojectiles.com/
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I might be cheaper to order these here.  I know about the doing everything yourself feeling and stuff but...  http://palmettoprojectiles.com/

If you're local to the SE WI area I'll give ya a handful of them to try out.  I only have 2k of them lol...
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can the 4198 be used to run supersonics as well?
View Quote

I don't think so.  11.2gr-11.4gr is basically about the limit of how much powder you can pack in there.  At best if you compress it you might be pulling 1400fps or so...
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a 10.5".  I like it for what it is.  I load Sierra 110 grain HPs for supersonic (H110), and that's my night time coyote gun since  NVG/IR laser useability about matches it's straight line trajectory.  I load coated 245 grain lead bullets for subs with Lilgun, they're quiet and fun to shoot but I really don't see any practicality in the round.  I'd rather shoot an expanding subsonic 147 grain 9mm than a solid 200+ grain .30 at anything I actually want to kill, but it is fun to shoot subs.

I don't see the point unless it's SBR + Can.  Even if you're shooting supers only.  110-150 grain projectiles at 30-30 ballistics doesn't really do anything for me outside of being able to get those ballistics in an SBR, AR15 with regular magazines.  That's the draw of the round in my opinion.

Also, if you don't handload, don't bother.  If you do handload, you can buy preformed brass and still make ammo at less than half factory price.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the input!

Ordered a 300 Blackout Barrel from Classic.

That Wolverine idea seems kind of obvious.  A cheaper set of dies would be nice.  

For people who are not interested in a can, 6.8 is way better.  I'm happy with the 300 for 50 yard deer, plinking, and an AR in something other than 223.

For short range shooting (200 yards) I wonder if this would compete with a 6.5 Grendel for target shooting?  

Tony
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#26]
received and installed the blackout.  Worked fine from the get go with Barnes 110 grain bullets or my Nosler grain hand loads.  

100 yards works fine, though the high winds at the WGC may have fudged the results.  

Basically, that was easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Thanks, Tony  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Wolverine 1*" barrel and dies are on the wayl    Already have bullets and powder.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wolverine 1*" barrel and dies are on the wayl    Already have bullets and powder.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
View Quote

Going for both?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep, the Wolverine stuff was on sale.  

This got started because I sold all my 5.45x39 ammo and AR stuff.  Replaced with a cheap 223 barrel, that was fun!, what the heck, get a 300 barrel and an upper............  Wolverine talk got to me............................

I have three pretty nice lowers.  Service rifle, the plinker with a hyper trigger/m4 style and a coyote/hunting lower with a RRA NM trigger and a fancy stock.  

The Wolverine is going to be pricier than the 223 or blackout (both cheap barrels).  

I figure they all do different jobs.  I've long thought about a 6.5 Grendel or a 6.8 SPC, just never got around to spending the money.  

Now I'll be the only guy at the WGC with a Wolverine!  

Tony
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yep, the Wolverine stuff was on sale.  

This got started because I sold all my 5.45x39 ammo and AR stuff.  Replaced with a cheap 223 barrel, that was fun!, what the heck, get a 300 barrel and an upper............  Wolverine talk got to me............................

I have three pretty nice lowers.  Service rifle, the plinker with a hyper trigger/m4 style and a coyote/hunting lower with a RRA NM trigger and a fancy stock.  

The Wolverine is going to be pricier than the 223 or blackout (both cheap barrels).  

I figure they all do different jobs.  I've long thought about a 6.5 Grendel or a 6.8 SPC, just never got around to spending the money.  

Now I'll be the only guy at the WGC with a Wolverine!  

Tony
View Quote

If you need anything let me know. You won't be disappointed. Be sure to get som JB's brass to start off with. I have him do my brass & it is always spot on. Cheap & perfect = not worth my time to make it when I have so many other projects. He is 15min from me so I even drop off my fired cases to have him clean & resize.

If he is out of stock or Mark is OOS on dies I can borrow you mine & I can send you some of my brass I have laying around. Also any projos you need? I have mostly 110grn & up.

Welcome to the Den!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top