Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2015 12:24:46 PM EDT
I haven't been keeping much of an eye on ammo as of late because I had a pretty good amount put up and I didn't need to buy it just to buy it. Has the availability of .22lr been increasing? I saw a pretty large pile of assorted stuff at the local Gander on Monday night and it got me thinking if the drought was over.

What are you guys seeing around you?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it depends on the store. I hunted for .22LR a couple months ago before attending an Appleseed class and did not find bulk box sizes of .22LR until the third store, Tom's Guns in Marshall.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I generally go by the sporting goods section once a week at the Walmart in Beaver Dam, and it's probably been 2 years since I've seen 22lr in stock. Most other calibers are consistently back in stock now, but not that one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have seen quite a bit of rimfire ammo at the Baraboo and Deforest Gander Mountain stores lately.  It was just this Monday that Gander @Baraboo had quite a bit in stock and a couple weeks before that I was in Deforest.  The same day I was at gander in Deforest I also was at Cabelas in Sun Prairie and they had no 22lr in stock and 3x as many customers

Cabelas dropped their price on 17 WSM to less than what walmart sells it for.  Walmart usually sells at 14.77/ 50 box and Gander Mountain was still at 17.99 and they were close to $17 on the 17 HMR ammo they had
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Cabelas in SP has been getting .22 pretty regularly, BUT you'd be paying close to 7 cents a round for the most inexpensive (thunderbolt), and 10 cents or more a round for other brands. Employee discount helps!

I think a lot of people who say "plenty of .22 available, I've been buying it steadily" are leaving out how much they are paying.

I used to think 5 cents a round for plinker ammo was my top limit, now I've raised that to 6 cents a round. Most I've paid was over 7 cents a round when walmart had those 100 round packs of CCI last fall.

Swires ammo finder web page, or brassbadger can help find ammo, although they haven't shown much more than shotshell .22 for the longest time. Jefferson walmart was showing M22 for $50 and change, but didn't check it out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Use this, it works, it's about 95% accurate. I've currently got 9,200 rounds of various .22lr because of using this app several times a day (but you must jump on it when they get it, or it's gone). Before using this app, I had about 2,000 (from before the "panic").

http://arfcomammo.azurewebsites.net/WM_ByStore.aspx?code=arfcom
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cabelas in SP has been getting .22 pretty regularly, BUT you'd be paying close to 7 cents a round for the most inexpensive (thunderbolt), and 10 cents or more a round for other brands. Employee discount helps!

I think a lot of people who say "plenty of .22 available, I've been buying it steadily" are leaving out how much they are paying.

I used to think 5 cents a round for plinker ammo was my top limit, now I've raised that to 6 cents a round. Most I've paid was over 7 cents a round when walmart had those 100 round packs of CCI last fall.

Swires ammo finder web page, or brassbadger can help find ammo, although they haven't shown much more than shotshell .22 for the longest time. Jefferson walmart was showing M22 for $50 and change, but didn't check it out.
View Quote

Paid 6 cents a round there on Sunday.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Cabelas in Richfield had Federal Automatch bulk pack and various Norma boxes at 10AM
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've bought the M-22 at Walmart 6 times in the past year, at $50.83 per 1000 (5 cents per round). Also got Federal Auto Match 325 packs there  for $17 & change, or about 5.5 cents ($22 or so elsewhere). CCI Mini Mags, Stingers, & Winchester Super X 100 pks are the highest I've paid at Walmart. CCI mini-mags were $7.75 per 100, Super X were $8.50ish (8.5 cents), Stingers were $6.50ish per 50 (13 cents per shot, but I believe those are worth it). I've seen Remington Yellow Jacket 100 pks there for $11.50, but passed them up. 50 round boxes of Thunderbolt sell for $3.47.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Cabelas in Richfield had Federal at $.06/round last week.  Pretty good supply too.  Unfortunately, they limit you to 500 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I stopped at the new Cabela's in Sun Praire a week or so ago on my way home from a business trip. They did have plenty of .22's. overpriced
I saw the Federla Value pack at $23 for 350 rds, not the normal 550.

They can eat that.. Value my ass...

I won't buy it... I'll shoot my 9mm instead.. At least the price is going up so hopefully the demand will drop and the market will stabilize...

I need a new past time....
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have seen quite a bit of rimfire ammo at the Baraboo and Deforest Gander Mountain stores lately.  It was just this Monday that Gander @Baraboo had quite a bit in stock and a couple weeks before that I was in Deforest.  The same day I was at gander in Deforest I also was at Cabelas in Sun Prairie and they had no 22lr in stock and 3x as many customers

Cabelas dropped their price on 17 WSM to less than what walmart sells it for.  Walmart usually sells at 14.77/ 50 box and Gander Mountain was still at 17.99 and they were close to $17 on the 17 HMR ammo they had
View Quote

Yeah Baraboo Gander is the store that I saw the pile at. They still had it behind the counter but it was there in good quantity. Now if only the Wal-Mart and Farm and Fleet start stocking it at normal levels/prices.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Sunday, the SP cabelas got some CCI blazer in, 27.99 a 500 pack. Also mini-mags, I think they were 8 or 9 for a 100 sleeve. Went pretty quick, of course.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I stopped at the new Cabela's in Sun Praire a week or so ago on my way home from a business trip. They did have plenty of .22's. overpriced

I won't buy it... I'll shoot my 9mm instead.. At least the price is going up so hopefully the demand will drop and the market will stabilize...

View Quote

It was likely the Automatch ammo you saw for $23 and I think Cabelas is within 2 cents of walmarts price on that ammo
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It was likely the Automatch ammo you saw for $23 and I think Cabelas is within 2 cents of walmarts price on that ammo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Federal Auto Match (325 box) was $17.89 at Walmart the last time I bought some (late May 2015).
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sunday, the SP cabelas got some CCI blazer in, 27.99 a 500 pack. Also mini-mags, I think they were 8 or 9 for a 100 sleeve. Went pretty quick, of course.

View Quote

I bought one of the CCI bulk packs on sunday
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Federal Auto Match (325 box) was $17.89 at Walmart the last time I bought some (late May 2015).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cabelas may have had a sale price on them when I was there considering what is being reported now..walmarts current price is 18.97
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:02:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Saw my 1st .22 ammo in over a year today at the Ace Hdwe. in Wi. Rapids.  Thunderbolt.  They had quite a pile, but it was $29 a brick.  Still too rich for my blood.  My son said he saw some stuff at Fleet Farm last weekend (Appleton area) but he said it was about $22 and he thought it was too high.  I told him he should probably have scooped some up.  He ended up with my cheap gene.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Cabelas got a bunch in today.

Maybe I should start a "22 at SP cabelas" twitter account or something.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Fleet Farm in Antigo had 100pks of Win Super X 40gr FMJ yesterday for $6.39 ea... one per customer as usual.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Things seem to be back to normal in my area...

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/federal22_zpswzckbbgb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/federal22_zpswzckbbgb.jpg</a>
View Quote

Where is that??
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Where is that??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Things seem to be back to normal in my area...

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/federal22_zpswzckbbgb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/federal22_zpswzckbbgb.jpg</a>

Where is that??

Stueber's Ace Hardware
1114 4th Ave S
Park Falls, WI 54552
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:31:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fleet Farm in Antigo had 100pks of Win Super X 40gr FMJ yesterday for $6.39 ea... one per customer as usual.
View Quote

Any CCI? It's been so long since I've seen CCI .22 on the shelf at Fleet Farm, that I pretty much gave up looking.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Any CCI? It's been so long since I've seen CCI .22 on the shelf at Fleet Farm, that I pretty much gave up looking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cabela's in Rickfield had CCI AR Tachtical on Thursday (300 per box).  Their new in store limit is 500 rounds or one box greater that 500.  They have also had CCI Mini Mags, SV and Federal Automatch pretty regularly recently.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Meijers in Grafton had a good supply of Winchester 333 packs for $.06/round.  Not my favorite ammo, but good enough for plinking with my lever rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top