Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2015 11:50:17 PM EDT
I and the wife are thinking about checking out Upper Michigan and are looking for things to do, places to eat, and places to stay. We were thinking about traveling up threw Houghton and checking out Copper Harbor and etc. Were looking for and ideas for anything else that's worth checking out, so if anyone has any ideas please send them my way. Thanks a bunch!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:21:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Camping or resorts/hotels?

Fort Wilkins State park is pretty cool, as is Keweenaw Park.  Lots of old lighthouses, museums and biking/hiking trails in the area too. Bring skeeter repellant.

Check out the Harbor Haus and Brickside Brewery for food and beers in Copper Harbor.  The whole area is pretty "touristy" but it is still well worth it.  I need to go back, I wish I spent more time up there.        

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Copper Harbor for sure. The whole Keweenaw for that matter. The loop up M26 North of Calumet to Copper Harbor then down thru Lac Labelle down thru Gay (and yes they have a bar) and back thru Calumet is a good way to see a few things. The copper mining industry in the day was huge and is well documented. You can still rent a cabin in Copper Harbor for under 500 bucks per week...it may not be 5 star but there are some good places to stay. Keweenaw county keeps those roadside parks clean and really caters to the tourist.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]
McLain State Park is nice.

Ambassador in Houghton for Tostada Pizza and fishbowls. http://theambassadorhoughton.com/

Keewenaw Brewing in Houghton is A+

Quincy's in Dollar Bay is good food too.

If you take 26 east out of Hancock, there are some interesting Mine ruins around Lake Linden

Up by Eagle River, there is a Monestary that has a neat little store. http://store.societystjohn.com/

Brockway Mtn in Copper Harbor is a must.

I dated a girl from the area for a while, had a lot of fun visiting.

Edit: Marquette is worth a day or two if you're in the UP as well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The Gay Bar is kind of a dump but you have to have your picture taken standing in front of the sign.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
A few places to check out I'll add more when I find them.

M26 between Eagle river and Eagle Harbor...and speaking of Eagle Harbor, check out the museum !

</a>" />

Shute's in Calumet

</a>" />

Top of Brockway Mountain

</a>" />

After looking at some of our pic's over the years I realized how much we love this place. Here are some of the must see places if you go to the Keweenaw...

Keweenaw Mountain Lodge
" />

This is out by High Rock Bay on Keweenaw Point via the Mandan Loop...You need a 4x4 to get there
" />

High Rock Bay...you can camp there...it's remote.
" />

Copper Harbor Lighthouse...you can tour this by using the Lighthouse Tours at the marina.
" />

Tobacco River Park
" />
it's close to this place LOL
" />

and many more places and things to do. Sam at the Keweenaw Adventure Co. in Copper Harbor is the tour guru...for a price. But the locals at Ziks Bar and the Brickside Brewing Co. are friendly and I'm sure would point you in the right direction.  Don't get too brickfaced !

Copper Harbor.org works or you can pm me if you would like more specific directions...or advise.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Log Cabin bar in Conover just north of Eagle River.  Best pizza I've ever had.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Wrong part of the UP but Ralph's in Ishpeming for a Cudighi.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all very much for all the great info. Much more stuff than we will have time to see, so we will probably have to make a second trip!
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Pictured Rock National Lakeshore is pretty amazing...in the event you end up a little further east.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are near Rockland on Friday evening, stop at Henry's for the best fish fry anywhere. If you get down by Hurley/Ironwood, stop in at Brewsters for the best burger around. Lots of good restaurants up around Calumet, too. Or the Root Cellar on Lake Gogebic. I like to eat. There are waterfalls all over the U.P., so google it and print up a list. There are two real good one right along 45 near Bruce Crossing, that don't require much hiking: Agate Falls and Bond Falls. Superior Falls is really cool, if you are down by Ironwood, and there are lots of others in that vicinity. There are lots of rivers to kayak, or the Lake Superior shoreline, and there are tours that will rent you a kayak and guide you. There is an old copper mine in Hancock that gives tours down into the mine. Cool place, just look up the hill after you cross the bridge, and you can't miss it. There is another mine near Rockland that give tours and lets you do a little rappelling, but I've never been inside. The Porcupine Mountains are beautiful, and there is a scenic overlook called Lake of the Clouds that is very picturesque. There are lots of mountain bike trails and ATV trails. The Estivant Pines Nature Sanctuary is cool, if you've never been in old growth White Pine forest. That's about all I can think of for now...
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are near Rockland on Friday evening, stop at Henry's for the best fish fry anywhere. If you get down by Hurley/Ironwood, stop in at Brewsters for the best burger around. Lots of good restaurants up around Calumet, too. Or the Root Cellar on Lake Gogebic. I like to eat. There are waterfalls all over the U.P., so google it and print up a list. There are two real good one right along 45 near Bruce Crossing, that don't require much hiking: Agate Falls and Bond Falls. Superior Falls is really cool, if you are down by Ironwood, and there are lots of others in that vicinity. There are lots of rivers to kayak, or the Lake Superior shoreline, and there are tours that will rent you a kayak and guide you. There is an old copper mine in Hancock that gives tours down into the mine. Cool place, just look up the hill after you cross the bridge, and you can't miss it. There is another mine near Rockland that give tours and lets you do a little rappelling, but I've never been inside. The Porcupine Mountains are beautiful, and there is a scenic overlook called Lake of the Clouds that is very picturesque. There are lots of mountain bike trails and ATV trails. The Estivant Pines Nature Sanctuary is cool, if you've never been in old growth White Pine forest. That's about all I can think of for now...
View Quote

Bond Falls is near Paulding, on 45 between Watersmeet & Bruce Crossing. Paulding is famous for something else. http://www.pauldinglight.com/2011/11/legend-of-paulding-light.html
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Bond Falls is near Paulding, on 45 between Watersmeet & Bruce Crossing. Paulding is famous for something else. http://www.pauldinglight.com/2011/11/legend-of-paulding-light.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I know where it is, but if he is taking 45 up towards the Keweenaw, it goes right past there, and it's only about ten minutes south of Bruce Crossing. In the U.P., that's "near". Have you been there lately? They expanded that viewing deck so that it wraps most of the way around the falls. It takes away from the beauty of the place, but I suppose it's nice to have a waterfall where people with wheelchairs can visit, too.  

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Agate Falls. Pictures don't do it justice.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, I know where it is, but if he is taking 45 up towards the Keweenaw, it goes right past there, and it's only about ten minutes south of Bruce Crossing. In the U.P., that's "near". Have you been there lately? They expanded that viewing deck so that it wraps most of the way around the falls. It takes away from the beauty of the place, but I suppose it's nice to have a waterfall where people with wheelchairs can visit, too.  

<a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/DamageIncorporated/media/DSC01584.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/DamageIncorporated/DSC01584.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/DamageIncorporated/media/DSC01584.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/DamageIncorporated/DSC01584.jpg</a>

I haven't seen the new deck, as I haven't been there in about 3 years or so. I used to go there quite often when I still had 24/7 vehicle lockout service... it's about 30 miles from home, and I was (by far) the near locksmith. I discontinued 24/7 about 3 years ago, and most of the calls came on weekends when my business is now closed, so it's been awhile.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#16]
U.P. picture thread now?

This is an Indian statue in Ironwood. I think he is saying, "why the fuck did you cut down my forests and dig up all my fucking land?"

Superior Falls

It has carved out a basin below the falls that is hard to capture, best seen in person

Old smelting plant in Houghton/Hancock. I think it was copper. The U.P. is littered with interesting remnants of the mining boom.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Michigan house in Calumet,
Order the broiled trout.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Michigan house in Calumet,
Order the broiled trout.
View Quote

And don't forget the gipper sauce  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Toni's Country Kitchen in Laurium sells pasties, call ahead if you are going after lunch.  

Also, Keweenaw Mountain Lodge is a neat place to stay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top