Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2015 9:49:56 PM EDT
So I decided to get schooled up on Night Vision and am taking a course at Telluric Group. My intention is to drive there. The site is located in Georgia. I am looking for advice from someone who has experience traveling with a long gun, pistol, and NFA gear.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:19:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Well first you'd probably want to look up the gun laws in GA.

If you're planning to carry on the way down, check and see what states you drive through honor your permit.

Otherwise, keep them locked away and unloaded in your trunk out of sight and you should be covered under FOPA.

I have no clue how travel works with NFA items, maybe someone can chime in that knows.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#2]
You need to fill out a ATF Form 5320.20 for NFA items.

My last one took 5 weeks to process....go figure

V
OUT
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#3]
You want to ensure that you have enough fuel, coffee and an empty bladder so that you can make it through Illinois without stopping.  The federal law, as I understand it, allows you to pass through an unfriendly state so long as you are legal to posess your firearms in your origin and destination. The law gets a little murky when you stop for a meal or shopping in the unfriendly state.

You'll want to read up on it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have lived, hunted or been shooting in all the states you will pass through.  If you want to ensure you won't have a problem pack all your weapons according to Illinois law.  Don't rely on luck, bad drivers may wreck you, your vehicle may break down.  Out of sight, out of mind.  A lot of cops (and crooks) know what shooting and hunting gear looks like so just having the guns out of sight is not enough.  I layer stuff then cover with a blanket, then toss luggage on top.  I developed this habit from my Georgia days and often making some or all of the drive you will be doing.

If I cut through Chicago and I went to the trouble to fully comply with Illinois law, when I gas up in Indiana I will get my handgun and put it back up front with me.  Don't gas up until you are at least to Valpo.  Indiana recognizes permits from all states.

Whenever possible, I much prefer the drive down through central Illinois versus through Chicago.  It only adds 50 miles but when you factor in issues found in Chicago, your drive time is the same or better.  The Southside of Chicago is capable of producing epic traffic jams.  I don't like being stuck with a boat or truck full of guns in Chicago.  The real issue is being sloppy on your return trip after being on the road and rushing to pack and get home.  Cops don't profile as much these days as they did in 70's and 80's.............but they still do it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Traveling through Cook County ILL & Chicago itself (even if on the interstate) can be big problems if something unforeseen happens, and you've got certain items that they ban locally. Magazines, semi-auto "assault" rifles, even laser sights. ILL does not have full preemption... and I'm not certain that the fed safe travel law covers stuff like magazines & laser sights, etc.

If it were my choice, I'd take I-39 to Bloomington ILL and then take I-74 east into Indiana, to I-65 south. But I'm not in S.E. WI, where I-94 is much closer. The last time I went down to the Chicago area, we went to my wife's sister's place, in the far S.W. burbs (near Joliet). We avoided Chicago metro by taking I-39 south (from Wausau) into to ILL to I-80, then went east on 80. A few more miles, but FAR LESS hassle. Only had to pay 1 toll between WI line & Rockford.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:30:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If it were my choice, I'd take I-39 to Bloomington ILL and then take I-74 east into Indiana, to I-65 south. But I'm not in S.E. WI, where I-94 is much closer. The last time I went down to the Chicago area, we went to my wife's sister's place, in the far S.W. burbs (near Joliet). We avoided Chicago metro by taking I-39 south (from Wausau) into to ILL to I-80, then went east on 80. A few more miles, but FAR LESS hassle. Only had to pay 1 toll between WI line & Rockford.
View Quote

That's basically what I do. I go to southwest Georgia every year. Ill go down 39 to 74, then jump on 57 south to 24 east. That will take you through to Chattanooga, where you can hit 75 to Atlanta. Avoiding Chicago saves me 2+ hours, but adds a few miles. It's worth it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Other than the 5320.20s for all non-silencer NFA stuff just keep that shit unloaded and locked up and covered in the trunk.  Bear in mind you might need access to your spare tire.  IL now recognizes out of state permits for car carry, but I've heard at least one story of some retarded trooper going full-on apoplectic on a coworker's good friend.  Pretty standard fare, though - there are good cops and bad cops just like every other facet of society.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I looked over the  ATF Form 5320.20.

The item I am considering traveling with is a suppressor. I am unsure if the Form or law applies to suppressors.

After receiving an email from the manufacturer of the suppressor asking their opinion they made no mention of the ATF form. As interpreted the advice was not to show/use it other than where legal and don't get pulled over in a state that bans the possession of suppressors.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I looked over the  ATF Form 5320.20.

The item I am considering traveling with is a suppressor. I am unsure if the Form or law applies to suppressors.

After receiving an email from the manufacturer of the suppressor asking their opinion they made no mention of the ATF form. As interpreted the advice was not to show/use it other than where legal and don't get pulled over in a state that bans the possession of suppressors.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

View Quote

Hi from a SOT.

Suppressors and AOWs are exempt from 5320.20 requirements.  Go forth and travel.  

Mike
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope my response originally was to your request for "NFA Gear" which was an unknown.

You are GTG with suppressors w/o a form.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:43:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Just make sure you have copies of your Form 4's. . . .

And aside from Chicago, most of IL is actually pretty firearm friendly.  Sadly, the rest of the state is irrelevent when it comes to votes due to the concentration of fuckwits in chicago. . . .
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Cook County IL has a total ban on suppressors. Avoid the hassle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top