Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2015 9:54:41 AM EDT
The Milwaukee area Three Harbors Council has decided to discontinue camping at the Lefeber Northwoods camp.  My son has only been a boy scout for 2 years now but from everything I hear the summer camp is the most important event that the scouts have.  They always tell us if you can only do one outing make sure it is summer camp.  

The camp is in Laona, WI and is 1,140 acres in the midst of the Nicolet National Forest.  The camp was established in 1930 and is a unique place for the boys to experience

There is a group of former scouts that is trying to get them to reverse this decision and they are going to be attending a meeting on April 2nd at the Scout center on 330 N 84th St.  3 of them will be allowed to speak to the council and they are asking for support at a rally outside the building during the meeting.  There is some more information about the effort here

http://lefebernorthwoods.wix.com/savelnc

There is also a facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/SaveThreeHarborsNorthwoodsExperience/

Link to the announcement of the closing.
http://www.threeharborscamps.org/#!about1/c6wa

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What's their excuse for closing it? $?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it basically comes down to money. A summary is in the last link.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I went there several times as a Scout and have very fond memories of that camp.  I can easily say that they were some of the best of my childhood.  I will definably be at that meeting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Reportedly there is about $1Million in maintenance needed and $12 Million in upgrades needed to bring it up to standards.  As the report stated, membership in scouting in general and attendance at camps has declined.  Other camps which they are keeping are also in need of $$.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Some additional information about the $1 million and $12 million figures was discovered.  LNC is the Lefeber camp designation.  The council "owns" 4 camps,, 2 northwoods and 2 southern camps.  The southern camps are smaller and more geared towards Cub scouts.  They have tried holding summer camps for the scouts at IMR but the kids don't like it.  It is in Ocnomowoc and you are right off I94.

If you have searched for information regarding the camp closure, you may have come across this statement:

“In addition to $1 million in deferred maintenance that would be required for accredited camp programs at the northern camps, another $12 million would need be to be invested to achieve a “Blue Ribbon” status based on new national standards for Scout camps."

The $1 Million in deferred maintenance is a figure developed by the council that encompasses all four of the camps. The breakdown for the number is as follows:
LNC $271,000
RSL $ 39,750
ODKT $215,000
IMR $415,000
Total $940,750

I am attaching the presentation that unveiled these numbers, but there are no footnotes to substantiate these figures. Both LNC & RSL are classified as wilderness camps. The benefit of a wilderness camp (aside from the adherence to Baden-Powell principles) is that the limited capital improvements lend to smaller deferred maintenance numbers. For LNC, the most significant cost needed is the repair of the nature lodge, which has damaged structural footings. IMR being the largest deferred maintenance number makes sense as it the most developed of the properties. We can’t be sure what the true deferred maintenance deficit is, but the numbers appear to be inflated.

The $12 Million dollar figure is again a total for all four camps in order to bring them up to what the council is referring to as the “Blue Ribbon” status. It is our understanding, as explained by a member of the camping task force, that “Blue Ribbon" would be the equivalent of brining all program areas in line with a top 5 camp experience. The estimate for LNC 3.8 Million would include a spacious dining hall, motorboat facilities and numerous upgrades that would never be considered for a Baden-Powell wilderness camp.
I think the take away here is that, yes, there exists deferred maintenance which needs to be performed, but the $1 Million and $12 Million dollar numbers do not apply to LNC alone and most likely both represent generous estimates for work that may never even be seriously considered

Link to the presentation PP presentation
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a reminder that the meeting and rally is tonight at 6pm.  Forecast is for 60F and no rain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top