Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2015 4:54:04 PM EDT
SE WI / Milwaukee area

Looking for some advice if anyone has any.  I am looking at having my sidewalks and patio redone and want to try and save some money getting rid of the old stuff if I can.  We got slammed with taxes this year and the cash we had saved for the project is pretty much gone.

My question is what is the best/cheapest way to dispose of the old stuff?  I am hoping to borrow a bobcat and maybe a jackhammer attachment from a friend to bust it up and move it.  Can you just rent a dumpster and pay someone to haul it away?  Any recommendations on companies that are reasonable?  Am I crazy for even attempting this?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#1]
check local gravel pits. Some will take old concrete, and throw them in grinders.

I have 2 in my area, one charges, one doesn't.

They may or may not take stuff with metal reinforcing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You can call source services for a dumpster.For the concrete- If you are located on the north side you can call stark asphalt, the might charge but is reasonable. Lannon stone products out in richfield lets companies dump concrete for free. Wire mesh or rebar is not a problem at either place. You should not need a hammer for the skidsteer,just get underneath the concrete and lift up on it .The concrete will break up on its own.IM if you need anything else.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
If you try renting a dumpster, just make sure you let them know what you will be putting in to it.  Some places won't accept a dumpster full of concrete mostly because their trucks won't be able to pick it up.  I ran into this when trying to get rid of rotted railroad ties.  It would really suck to have to remove it from the dumpster!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I doubt any of this has rebar in it. It's maybe 50 feet of 2 and 3 foot wide walkways and a 10x13 patio.  Are you saying the dumpster company will drop the contents of the dumpster at one of the places that take it?

I got some bad news, the guy who had the bobcat sold it a few years ago.  I'm not sure what I'll be doing now.  The thought of breaking up and carrying that amount by hand seems crazy to me.  It feels like that could take weeks of doing it after work.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you rent one for the day?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm guessing I can.  Haven't had a chance to look into it yet.  The end game is to save money so if I can't save a significant amount by renting one and doing it myself it's not really worth it.  

Anyone have recommendations for someone that does concrete work?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorce Services for the dumpster.  Expect to pay around $30/ton for disposal and it is only a few hundred bucks for the dumpster (and you can keep it for 90 days).
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorce Services for the dumpster.  Expect to pay around $30/ton for disposal and it is only a few hundred bucks for the dumpster (and you can keep it for 90 days).
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Oops double tap.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you looking for a concrete guy to do the job on the side ? Or a buisness?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I might do a side job if it was a good referral from someone I know. Ive been burned by a side job guy before but it was someone my wife found and I didn't have much of a say in that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top