Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because unions allow the medium-little guy to make sweet loot by rigging an unsustainable game.

Like being in congress but you don't need to get elected.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Wow!  I woulda bet $1,000 you weren't much beyond 20 years old, judging by your posts.  My apologies...

There have developed 2 branches to this thread:  1) unions are dumb/bad, 2) RTW legislation is good.  Y'all can argue the former as you wish, but my answer is I don't care - let the market decide.  With regard to the latter, I will again ask, "If the union is such a good thing, then what's the issue?" ALL that RTW does is allow the individual person to choose to join/PAY or not.  Freedom is a messy business, but I much prefer it to communism.  (and yes, I chose that word thoughtfully)

Why in the world should you be endowed the force of law to deprive me of my right of association?

Because unions allow the medium-little guy to make sweet loot by rigging an unsustainable game.

Like being in congress but you don't need to get elected.

It is how the baby boomer generation fucked this whole country up.
Fuck everyone else, I'm getting mine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Divide and conquer. What part of that do you not understand.

This country is a union.....a weak and getting weaker union.....it is almost as divided as in the 1860's.

I like it when a group all pulls in the same direction. I went to work at a union shop because of the higher pay, got good training, worked there 35 years. Now I am retired, have a nice pension. Parts of our plant had non- union departments.....and shortly after another company bought the company it was closed. The non- union employees got screwed out of their company pension.

My union worked out good for me, for 35 years and counting.
View Quote
Which union is that?  Let's look up some numbers about what they collect, and what they actually do with that money. Cross your fingers your pension isn't looted before you die.

The duct tape that holds my bird feeder together is a union too. Equivocating the United States with a leftist employment guild is not productive to your argument.

I know one thing for sure, the teachers union sure didn't do you any favors.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Which union is that?  Let's look up some numbers about what they collect, and what they actually do with that money. Cross your fingers your pension isn't looted before you die.

The duct tape that holds my bird feeder together is a union too. Equivocating the United States with a leftist employment guild is not productive to your argument.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This country is a union.....a weak and getting weaker union.....it is almost as divided as in the 1860's.

I like it when a group all pulls in the same direction. I went to work at a union shop because of the higher pay, got good training, worked there 35 years. Now I am retired, have a nice pension. Parts of our plant had non- union departments.....and shortly after another company bought the company it was closed. The non- union employees got screwed out of their company pension.

My girl was Ecstatic about act ten. Her district was finally able to shovel loose some old timers who didn't give a fuck about teaching anymore, and she has been able to get raises significantly higher than her peers based on performance alone.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#4]

My girl was Ecstatic about act ten. Her district was finally able to shovel loose some old timers who didn't give a fuck about teaching anymore, and she has been able to get raises significantly higher than her peers based on performance alone.

What kind of performance, and who was the judge?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Must be some tasty Kool-Aid.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#6]
It's funny - it took a long time to explain to my wife what a "defined benefit" retirement plan was when she got put into some kind of crazy state retirement plan.  She's very intelligent.  Why did it take so long?

BECAUSE THEY DON'T MAKE ANY FUCKING SENSE TO THINKING PEOPLE.

Unions use the coercive power of threat of force through government to over-value labor in changing markets, therefore destroying the ability of the free market to operated unencumbered.

Congrats, Slkvrktman.  You're now living on the productivity of others after you've already amortized out your life-long usefulness living beyond your true-market means.  In the process you undermined liberty and drove up costs of products and services for everyone.  Enjoy it while it lasts, but don't coming whining to anyone else about a "safety net" when you run out of other peoples' money.

*mic drop*
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What kind of performance, and who was the judge?
View Quote

Educator effectiveness based on data she collected, programs she designed and implemented, and the extra work load outside of her jib description she was handling for administrators that are payed four times what she makes. The judge was the school board. Normally the union argues with the school for a blanket raise for all teaching staff. They normally get an okay raise for everyone which is great for shitbags and sucks for over achievers.

Her raise was 2% higher than everyone else's. Guess who was the most ass hurt about it - the people still paying union dues on top of their 2.5 percent raise.

It's okay that you need to strong arm a decent raise and working conditions out of your employers since you don't think you could justify one on your skills and work ethic alone, but that doesn't give you the right to force those who wish to excel down or limit the environments in which they can be successful.

That's a soviet work ethic.

This is fucking America
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Flamethrower, stop trying to use facts!  Most of the union guys are so lied to by their unions that they will never believe anything to the contrary regardless of how many facts they're shown.
View Quote

Not to mention the union guy will probably have to spend 20 minutes reading that not including his mandatory breaks, or saying TLDR.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#9]
You don't seem to understand unions.  All the members, ARE the union. The thing I like least about unions, is that they donate some money to the democrat party. As far as I'm concerned, the democrats favor the useless bottom feeders, and the republicans favor the rich, or worse yet the super rich. I wish they would focus on the middle class, and someone who is an independent. The democrats used to support the middle class, but times have changed.....Now they seem to support the homos, weirdos and useless bottom feeders who are sucking the life out of this country.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:40:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Oooohhh...  I get it now.  Thank you for explaining that.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:19:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You don't seem to understand unions.  All the members, ARE the union. The thing I like least about unions, is that they donate some money to the democrat party. As far as I'm concerned, the democrats favor the useless bottom feeders, and the republicans favor the rich, or worse yet the super rich. I wish they would focus on the middle class, and someone who is an independent. The democrats used to support the middle class, but times have changed.....Now they seem to support the homos, weirdos and useless bottom feeders who are sucking the life out of this country.
View Quote

You are very misguided.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#12]
poly, he's a populist.

Populists are generally unprincipled.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's funny - it took a long time to explain to my wife what a "defined benefit" retirement plan was when she got put into some kind of crazy state retirement plan.  She's very intelligent.  Why did it take so long?

BECAUSE THEY DON'T MAKE ANY FUCKING SENSE TO THINKING PEOPLE.

Unions use the coercive power of threat of force through government to over-value labor in changing markets, therefore destroying the ability of the free market to operated unencumbered.

Congrats, Slkvrktman.  You're now living on the productivity of others after you've already amortized out your life-long usefulness living beyond your true-market means.  In the process you undermined liberty and drove up costs of products and services for everyone.  Enjoy it while it lasts, but don't coming whining to anyone else about a "safety net" when you run out of other peoples' money.

*mic drop*
View Quote

Maybe if she had a better understanding of the Multiple Decrement Calculations?  
See video here:  http://www.asc-net.com/admin-val-software/defined-benefit-retirement-plan-software/

I miss all my drunken actuarial friends but that is the price we paid to live near clean rivers.  A lot of people don't know defined benefit versus defined contribution.  Or how our national insolvency will likely lead to confiscation of 401k funds so everyone can live "equally", even though we all didn't contribute equally.  Math does not lie and the numbers predicted the shit 30 years ago, even without the last 6 years of recent history.

Learn to garden.  You will notice Unions don't teach skills like that, or firearms for that matter.........or beer brewing!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#14]
There is only one reason for "the right to work for less" law. Lower wages is what is wanted. It will effect union and non-union wages. If a company pisses on their employees too much, they run the risk of being unionized. That helps keep reasonable pay at non-union  businesses. You can bitch all you want about unions.....time will tell how this all works out. The race to the "ONE WORLD ORDER" takes another step in that direction. Everyone knows that the American workers pay is way out of line, let's get more competitive.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is only one reason for "the right to work for less" law. Lower wages is what is wanted. It will effect union and non-union wages. If a company pisses on their employees too much, they run the risk of being unionized. That helps keep reasonable pay at non-union  businesses. You can bitch all you want about unions.....time will tell how this all works out. The race to the "ONE WORLD ORDER" takes another step in that direction. Everyone knows that the American workers pay is way out of line, let's get more competitive.
View Quote

I like more competitive. Means more for me, and less for you. If you wanted more you shoulda worked harder.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

If a company pisses on their employees too much, they risk losing their employees, and reputation. They are not forced to work there.

The only effect to RTW I see happening is that unions will lose more and more members, and become less influential, which in turn, will force them to be nicer to the members they have in order to keep them or to try and attract new members.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe if she had a better understanding of the Multiple Decrement Calculations?  
See video here:  http://www.asc-net.com/admin-val-software/defined-benefit-retirement-plan-software/

I miss all my drunken actuarial friends but that is the price we paid to live near clean rivers.  A lot of people don't know defined benefit versus defined contribution.  Or how our national insolvency will likely lead to confiscation of 401k funds so everyone can live "equally", even though we all didn't contribute equally.  Math does not lie and the numbers predicted the shit 30 years ago, even without the last 6 years of recent history.

Learn to garden.  You will notice Unions don't teach skills like that, or firearms for that matter.........or beer brewing!
View Quote

LMAO the point isn't the math, it's the ponzi-scheme principals involved!

Keeping in mind I was a bit precocious... I remember having an epiphany at 14 years old in my second year of high school.  I was looking at the numbers during a social studies class and realized that I would never be paid back a cent of my social security contributions.  I've done my planning accordingly!

So I think between the scientists, teachers, doctors, artists, lawyers, law enforcers, and brewers in the family...

...and since most of us worked trades or rehabbed houses before/during our professional careers...

...we got this shit locked.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#18]
One world order hey?
Well, you just lost any credibility you may have had had in my eyes.

Infowars is that way------->
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone else seen that the pro sports unions (NFL, NHL, MLB) had to put their 2 cents in?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#20]
LOL Pro Sports players have the philosophical and political credibility of a toddler.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LOL Pro Sports players have the philosophical and political credibility of a toddler.
View Quote

NHL unions have a respectable track record.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#22]
And here all along........I've been looking to GD 13'rs to provide me with all my entertainment.

Who knew it was right here all along?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Having grown up in Detroit and seeing all the good unions did there as well as being a union guy for several years myself, I'm thrilled about RTW.  

If Unions are such a great value, then they need to sell their value to prospective members.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Having grown up in Detroit and seeing all the good unions did there as well as being a union guy for several years myself, I'm thrilled about RTW.  

If Unions are such a great value, then they need to sell their value to prospective members.
View Quote

This. Why aren't the unions seeing it this way? What are they afraid of? If they're so great for the members, this should be a non-issue.

Or maybe they realize they aren't really that great overall anymore and their PR consists of scare tactics, misinformation,  and intimidation, and will lose more members with RTW?

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This. Why aren't the unions seeing it this way? What are they afraid of? If they're so great for the members, this should be a non-issue.

Or maybe they realize they aren't really that great overall anymore and their PR consists of scare tactics, misinformation,  and intimidation, and will lose more members with RTW?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Union spokespeople are the gunshow table salesmen of employment.

The sky is always falling and if you don't pay the shit will bury you,

They target the weak just like any other democrat.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Huh?

The term "privatization" is a pretty good indicator of vapid populism or collectivism; it infers that certain things should be under the control of government, and to "return" them to private control is wrong, which simply isn't so.  In fact, your use of the term is internally inconsistent since you are conflating "privatization" with "mercantilism."

Which side?

I'm on the side of free markets and rule of law.  I'm on the side of history and human nature.  And while everyone here knows I love me some ad hominems, I'm also on the side of coherent, philosophically and logically rooted arguments.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:29:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm not after all unions, just the teachers.
I might run for President, don't push the RTW now.
Well, let me say, as long as the cat is out of the bag, I will sign the bill.
If I'm elected President, I have more ideas, like RTW.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If I'm elected President, I have more ideas, like RTW.
View Quote

I should hope he DOES have more ideas like RTW if elected President.  In case you haven't noticed, the US is not competing well against foreign manufacturing.  Someone needs to figure out a way to make us more competitive and that person isn't going to come from a union.  

Why are you so afraid of making unions prove their value to members?  Shouldn't the individual worker get to decide if they need to be represented?   If unions are such a great thing, they should have nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Why are you so afraid of making unions prove their value to members?  Shouldn't the individual worker get to decide if they need to be represented?   If unions are such a great thing, they should have nothing to worry about.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The objective, in the long term is to privatize and control (moneys, jobs, votes) the schools and the prison  system. I think this "RTW" is mostly a smokescreen to take attention away from the budget, and no jobs.
Teachers, on the downward spiral.
I think tension  between prison guards and police/fire will be the next 'battle', or has it started yet?

Which side are you on?
View Quote

Well, given that you shut down any thread regarding OWS during your tenure as WIHTF mod, we can be assured who's side you are on.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
what's OWS.
View Quote

Occupy Wall Street I think.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The power of a moderator is highly overrated.
I honestly can not remember a thread that I locked down that wasn't a for sale or blatant rule violation, and I usually would report up the CoC after I llocked a thread if the was ANY doubt in my actions. It usually worked that I got an IM about a post, would read the thread, and check UP the CoC before making any move.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The objective, in the long term is to privatize and control (moneys, jobs, votes) the schools and the prison  system. I think this "RTW" is mostly a smokescreen to take attention away from the budget, and no jobs.
Teachers, on the downward spiral.
I think tension  between prison guards and police/fire will be the next 'battle', or has it started yet?

Which side are you on?

Well, given that you shut down any thread regarding OWS during your tenure as WIHTF mod, we can be assured who's side you are on.

The power of a moderator is highly overrated.
I honestly can not remember a thread that I locked down that wasn't a for sale or blatant rule violation, and I usually would report up the CoC after I llocked a thread if the was ANY doubt in my actions. It usually worked that I got an IM about a post, would read the thread, and check UP the CoC before making any move.

better get that checked out if you don't remember could be an early warning sign to some serious problems.  All the threads you locked down for no reason other than you didn't agree with ACT 10 and supported the recall, always under the guise that it was making the HTF uncivil, but when you were no longer moderator this place became a lot more civil.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#40]
There have been times over the years that many in the HTF were PMSing or something, but I don't think Bulletcatcher was the reason.  Although I don't always agree or disagree with his his politics, to me he seemed like a decent mod.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:01:20 AM EDT
[#41]
For the U.S.  to be competitive, lower wages is all it takes...... Well maybe worse (cheaper) working conditions too. What do you think is the end result they are shooting for?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:19:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Oh, look...  The troll thread is still alive.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:57:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good to see some  Koch Sheeple noticed.

Why don't the Koch brothers set up shop in Mexico? They wouldn't have to change much down there, things are already set up for them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Don't you know that bringing up the Koch Bros. is just an automatic tune-out from anything a Leftard is saying?

Not that you care, but look here and see the largest total national political donors ranked by contribution.  Note the Koch Bros. are #50 on the list, and how many of the 49 above them are unions?

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php

You and your attitude is exactly why nobody gives a shit about what happens to the unions. Why we find them annoying, and why we're willing to see them broken, or, in the instance of Right-to-Work legislation, simply made voluntary. It's going to pass, and you're just going to have to get over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to see some  Koch Sheeple noticed.

Why don't the Koch brothers set up shop in Mexico? They wouldn't have to change much down there, things are already set up for them.

Don't you know that bringing up the Koch Bros. is just an automatic tune-out from anything a Leftard is saying?

Not that you care, but look here and see the largest total national political donors ranked by contribution.  Note the Koch Bros. are #50 on the list, and how many of the 49 above them are unions?

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php

You and your attitude is exactly why nobody gives a shit about what happens to the unions. Why we find them annoying, and why we're willing to see them broken, or, in the instance of Right-to-Work legislation, simply made voluntary. It's going to pass, and you're just going to have to get over it.

Holy shit that link.

Really paints the scale and scope of this nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top