User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 1/8/2015 10:02:04 PM EDT
2/12

These bills were circulated this morning:

TO: Legislative Colleagues

RE: Gun Safety and Gun Owner Accountability Act

Milwaukee saw 145 homicides in 2015, a 69 percent increase from 2014 and the highest number of homicides in over two decades. Non-fatal shootings have been on the rise since 2010 claiming 635 victims last year. While America has innovated and accomplished great feats in her history, Americans still face staggering levels of gun violence.

Milwaukee families and urban Americans deserve to feel safe in their own homes and streets. Gun violence and gun owner irresponsibility have imposed enormous costs on life, education, and economic mobility.  That’s why I am introducing the following four bills as part of the Gun Safety and Gun Owner Accountability Act. This package aims to: make gun owners more knowledgeable about firearm risks, prevent dangerous individuals from obtaining guns, and make gun owners liable for the damages they impose on our communities and victims.

1. No fly, no buy (LRB-4698/1)– The United States Government Accountability Office reported that between 2004 and 2010, individuals on terrorist watch lists were involved in firearm or explosive background checks 1,228 times. 91% of these transactions were allowed to proceed. My bill will ensure that those who wish to terrorize Americans cannot purchase the tools to do so through legal means.

2. Accountability in gun transactions (LRB-0884/1) – Currently, individuals may acquire firearms without a background check through private sellers. This presents a clear opportunity for criminals, gang-members, and domestic abusers to undermine background checks and jeopardize public safety. This bill would remove this loophole and require background checks for all firearm purchases. Class A Misdemeanor and loss of gun rights for 2 years

3. Improving standards for concealed carry (LRB -4700/1)– Current law does not specify duration or class size for the training required to apply for a concealed carry permit. This bill would codify minimum training hours and maximum classroom size for concealed carry courses. These common sense measures would establish minimum guidelines to further inform permit applicants of safe gun handling, storage, and risks of carrying. 6 Hours and 25 Students

4. Providing recourse for gun violence victims (LRB-4718/1) – Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn stated there are more guns on the street than during any time in his eight years as chief. Another County official, Retired County Judge James Gramling stated the necessity for action because of the economic impact gun violence has had for survivors. Gramling states “For these victims, there are months, maybe years of anguish – mental and physical. There are medical costs not covered by insurance. There are lost earnings.” This bill would require concealed carry applicants to have proof of general liability insurance of at least $800,000 to pay for injury, death, or property damage that may arise from a permit holder’s negligent use of a firearm.

2/8 The following two bills have been signed into law. They are probably the last two accomplishments of this session. The assembly will be wrapping up in the next two weeks with the senate in early March.

Assembly Bill 13.  Relating to: the return of a seized firearm to the person who owns the firearm.
Assembly Bill 142.  Relating to: going armed with a switchblade. (Companion Senate Bill 102 report Senate Substitute Amendment 1 adoption, Ayes 3, Noes 2, passage as amended recommended by committee on Judiciary and Public Safety, Ayes 3, Noes 2)

Signed Into Law

Act 22 - AB 49 and SB 35Senators Wanggaard & Tiffany Representatives Quinn, Kremer, Czaja, & Thiesfeldt
Repeal of 48 Hour Rule for Handgun Purchases

Act 23- AB 46 Representative Joel Kleefisch
Off duty law enforcement officers and former law enforcement officers going armed with firearms on or near school grounds

2015-2016 Wisconsin State Legislature:
Assembly: 63 Republicans / 36 Democrats
Senate: 19 Republicans / 14 Democrats /

Find Your Legislators:
Find Your Legislator
(Should be automatic/if not use the search function)

Important Legislation: Updates Made 8/31/2015

AB13 Rep. Knodl R
The return of a seized firearm to the person who owns the firearm
Assembly
3/5/2015 Passed as amended by Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety, Ayes 8, Noes 4
6/9/2015 Passed by the Assembly
6/12/2015 Referred to Senate Committee on Judiciary and Public Safety
AB13

AB 77 Representative Joel Kleefisch Senator Janet Bewley
Concealed Carry for Certain Former Law Enforcement Officers
This proposal will allow qualified law enforcement officers who were employed in another state but have retired in Wisconsin, as well as law enforcement officers whose former employer no longer exists, to apply for a license to carry a concealed weapon. Current law allows the Department of Justice to issue Concealed Carry Permits to former law enforcement officers who worked in and are still residents of Wisconsin. This legislation would expand that ability to include former law enforcement officers who worked in another state but are now residents of Wisconsin.
Assembly
3/5/2015 Read first time and referred to Committee on State Affairs and Government Operations
4/15/2015 Public Hearing
6/9/2015 Passed by the Assembly
6/12/2015 Referred to Senate Committee on Judiciary and Public Safety
9/1/2015 Public Hearing in the Senate Committee on Judiciary and Public Safety
AB77

AB142 SB102 Representative Kathy Bernier and Senator Terry Moulton
Definition of a switchblade knife; Possession requirements
This bill excludes from the definition of switchblade knife a knife with closure-biased springs that require physical force to be applied to the blade in order to open the knife. This bill exempts from the prohibition qualified law enforcement officers, qualified former law enforcement officers, and persons who have a license to carry a concealed weapon, including certain out-of-state licenses.
Assembly
3/27/2015 Referred to Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety
4/23/2015 Public Hearing Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety 10:30 AM 225 Northwest
6/2/2015 Executive Session Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety
6/4/2015 Passed Committee 8/3
Senate
3/27/2015 Referred to Committee on Judiciary and Public Safety
AB142  
SB102  
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool. I can look here first, for info. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

?? Shouldn't that be 2015?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Special Elections:
20th Senate District
Parts of Dodge, Fond du Lac, Sheboygan, Ozaukee, and Washington counties.
Republican Primary - February 17th,2014
Candidates:
Tiffany Koehler (R-Slinger)
Lee Schlenvogt (R-Port Washington)
Duey Stroebel (R-Cedarburg)
General Election - April 7th, 2014

Thank you for reading and stay warm!

Go back in time and vote.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

... going "back in time" to delete my prior post.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Special Elections:
20th Senate District
Republican Primary - February 17th,2014
Candidates:
General Election - April 7th, 2014

All fixed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All fixed.
View Quote

Now go get your checkbook and write in 2015 on all your checks (don't laugh, I already did this on my checks).

I have no doubts the Dems will introduce bills such as "universal" background checks, AWBs, and other hair-brained anti-gun schemes... even though they're DOA.  

I DO have doubts that the Repubs will introduce a repeal bill for the 48hr wait on handguns, or amend the CCW bill so as to exempt licensees from the 48 hr wait. It doesn't seem to be on anyone's priority lists.... except ours.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Now go get your checkbook and write in 2015 on all your checks (don't laugh, I already did this on my checks).

I have no doubts the Dems will introduce bills such as "universal" background checks, AWBs, and other hair-brained anti-gun schemes... even though they're DOA.  

I DO have doubts that the Repubs will introduce a repeal bill for the 48hr wait on handguns, or amend the CCW bill so as to exempt licensees from the 48 hr wait. It doesn't seem to be on anyone's priority lists.... except ours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All fixed.

Great idea.

The dems are gonna get a whole lot going with 36 reps.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Any additional information on candidates to replace Glen?  I have not been impressed with Stroebel in his tenure so far as my representative (Brooks is replacing him) and would prefer he not get another job in politics.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any additional information on candidates to replace Glen?  I have not been impressed with Stroebel in his tenure so far as my representative (Brooks is replacing him) and would prefer he not get another job in politics.
View Quote

I'll see what I can find.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The dems are gonna get a whole lot going with 36 reps.
View Quote

Purely symbolic, and they'll make it a big deal in the anti-gun media. Bloomberg will shut off the campaign donation money faucet if they don't at least try.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The following links have some background info on the candidates running. There is a real lack of any policy stances for a safe district.

Tiffany Koehler

Lee Schlenvogt

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#12]
AB13 is gun related

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#13]
AB 13

Sets criteria and time limits for having firearms (or ammunition) seized by law enforcement returned to their lawful owners.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
AB 13

Sets criteria and time limits for having firearms (or ammunition) seized by law enforcement returned to their lawful owners.
View Quote

Public hearing announced:

PUBLIC HEARING
Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety
The committee will hold a public hearing on the following items at the time specified below:
Tuesday, February 3, 2015
10:00 AM
225 Northwest
Assembly Bill 13
Relating to: the return of a seized firearm to the person who owns the firearm.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

AB 13

View Quote
Good.  My MKII was stolen from my brothers house while I was away at college.  It took something like 6 months after the thief pled guilty to get it back from the cops.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Did Kochanski ever get his gun back?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Remember the guy with a CCW permit who shot the armed robbers at Aldi's? The getaway driver received probation for his part in the robbery... and was done with his probation BEFORE the armed citizen got his gun back from the Milwaukee P.D.

http://www.guns.com/2015/01/15/wisconsins-first-self-defense-shooting-after-ccw-law-passed-video/

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Exactly why I don't carry expensive firearms. I bought a police trade Glock 26 for carry, $200 less than new. Used the savings towards another pistol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Has there been any buzz about clarifying NFA-related laws/regs?  Would love to see "shall issue" for CLEO sigs & simply making everything legal so long as it complies with fed law.  ( ie NFA / GCA is already overly restrictive, we don't need to add complexity at the state level ). Any info or thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

CLEO must-sign would be good, especially in the face of Rule 41p. Hopefully 41p will be delayed and dragged out in court until the clock's run out on the Obama administration, but it would be nice.

It would probably even be an easy sell, as making CLEO's "do their job" on "background checks" or something. Maybe combine it with the CCW permit voiding the two biz day handgun wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has there been any buzz about clarifying NFA-related laws/regs?  Would love to see "shall issue" for CLEO sigs & simply making everything legal so long as it complies with fed law.  ( ie NFA / GCA is already overly restrictive, we don't need to add complexity at the state level ). Any info or thoughts?

CLEO must-sign would be good, especially in the face of Rule 41p. Hopefully 41p will be delayed and dragged out in court until the clock's run out on the Obama administration, but it would be nice.

It would probably even be an easy sell, as making CLEO's "do their job" on "background checks" or something. Maybe combine it with the CCW permit voiding the two biz day handgun wait.

Absolutely no buzz so far. Via the rumor mill, there are a few other things coming in the next few weeks/months.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Co-Sponsorship of LRB 0923/1 – Repeal of 48 Hour Rule for Handgun Purchases
Senators Wanggaard & Tiffany
Representatives Quinn, Kremer, Czaja, & Thiesfeldt
This bill allows a licensed firearm dealer to transfer ownership of a handgun following notice from the Department of Justice that the background check indicates that the purchaser is not prohibited from possessing a firearm. This bill would bring Wisconsin in line with a vast majority of states. Currently only 7 states require a waiting period between the time of purchase and delivery of a firearm to an approved buyer.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great links.

Thanks Fed

V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This bill allows a licensed firearm dealer to transfer ownership of a handgun following notice from the Department of Justice that the background check indicates that the purchaser is not prohibited from possessing a firearm. This bill would bring Wisconsin in line with a vast majority of states. Currently only 7 states require a waiting period between the time of purchase and delivery of a firearm to an approved buyer.
View Quote

That would be cool wonder what the chance is for it
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't find anything on the state sight yet. I don't recognize the numbering format.

I'll send off some letters as soon as I get a bill number
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Can't find anything on the state sight yet. I don't recognize the numbering format.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bill is out for co-sponsors and not yet introduced
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This may be a good thing so we can further soldify it.

My input is that it should offer a distinctions of'
1) Current Conceal & Carry holders get an expemtion
2) Current owners of Firearms also get an exemption
3) Exemption of new firearms purchasers be up to the discretion of the FFL.
4) An Exemption for NFA items including the immediate Sales & Transfers of SBR's & Suppressors by CCW holders that have E-Filed & those that have the necessary requirements to file Form 1's, 4's & Dealers to immediately transfer under Form 3's for "Inter-State" transfers of NFA items. This due to the wait times that can also be contrued as an infringement of 2A Rights.

My thoughts on the matter...
Quoted:
Given the recent ruling regarding the waiting period being struck down for those that already possess guns; Is there any reason a State could not pass legislation approving the immediate possession of an NFA items such as SBR's & Suppressors for those filing paper Form 1s, or 4's? Or Form 3's for Inter-State transfers?

Especially those already possessing a CCW & having CLEO write offs?

Analogously, shouldn't the long processing period be viewed as an infringement also?

Information for those that are unaware of the Ruling by the Federal Court.

http://libertyfight.com/2014/judge_rejects_CA_waiting_period_violate_2nd_amendment.html

Let's ask ourselves, If a Federal judge has ruled an arbitrary 10-Day waiting period is Unconstituional, why wouldn't a 30-40 day wait for E-Filers, and a >1Yr wait on Paper filings due to BATFE processing times?

What if NCIS took over a year? Wouldn't that then be construed as unconstituional?

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

4) An Exemption for NFA items including the immediate Sales & Transfers of SBR's & Suppressors by CCW holders that have E-Filed & those that have the necessary requirements to file Form 1's, 2's & Dealers to immediately transfer under Form 3's for "Inter-State" transfers of NFA items. This due to the wait times that can also be contrued as an infringement of 2A Rights.

http://libertyfight.com/2014/judge_rejects_CA_waiting_period_violate_2nd_amendment.html

Let's ask ourselves, If a Federal judge has ruled an arbitrary 10-Day waiting period is Unconstituional, why wouldn't a 30-40 day wait for E-Filers, and a >1Yr wait on Paper filings due to BATFE processing times?

What if NCIS took over a year? Wouldn't that then be construed as unconstituional?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4) An Exemption for NFA items including the immediate Sales & Transfers of SBR's & Suppressors by CCW holders that have E-Filed & those that have the necessary requirements to file Form 1's, 2's & Dealers to immediately transfer under Form 3's for "Inter-State" transfers of NFA items. This due to the wait times that can also be contrued as an infringement of 2A Rights.

Quoted:
Given the recent ruling regarding the waiting period being struck down for those that already possess guns; Is there any reason a State could not pass legislation approving the immediate possession of an NFA items such as SBR's & Suppressors for those filing paper Form 1s, or 4's? Or Form 3's for Inter-State transfers?

Especially those already possessing a CCW & having CLEO write offs?

Analogously, shouldn't the long processing period be viewed as an infringement also?

great thought

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Edit, hahaha I see you got what I was saying...

I understand that. & I agree that is the way it should be.

What I am saying is that the D's can pose a legitimate objection here, given precedent, as it is worded, and remand it to comitee. If it is so worded as I suggest they have no standing to do that.

I want a slam dunk, not an oportunity for more games.

Rest assured, we are both on the same side here.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Email out to Brooks to cosponsor.

I don't even have a State Senator right now...
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What I am saying is that the D's can pose a legitimate objection here, given precedent, as it is worded, and remand it to comitee. If it is so worded as I suggest they have no standing to do that.

View Quote

That makes sense. I'm kind of dumb this morning.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem, & thank you for the compliment.

Now I will get to work drafting uniform letters so we can jump on this because I see no reason this shouldn't be the way the Law is adjudicated. Because, as you said, we have the votes to get it through.

We would be the FIRST STATE in the Country to show we have legal standing & execute it. Could you imagine if more states followed suit?

Oh, the FREEDOM!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#33]
For the record, a time period for processing paperwork might be capricious but it is not technically "arbitrary" (as was the CA 10-day).
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For the record, a time period for processing paperwork might be capricious but it is not technically "arbitrary" (as was the CA 10-day).
View Quote

True.

The true test of scrutiny is if the wait time poses an infringement by the discouragement to exercise a Right.

What if we apply it unilaterally to other rights such as the Right to Vote, or the right to Free Speech or to assemble? Would it be acceptable if the Right to protest were reduced to a 1yr waiting period due to processing of paperwork?

As the D's like to use MLK's argument, "A Right delayed is a Right denied."
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's my Senator. I guess he read my letter.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Rep. Brooks called me just after I sent my email yesterday; add him on as a co-sponsor (he already was, just called to let me know and chat a bit).
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#37]
They also need to amend the CCW law to allow CCL holders to be able to drive onto school property for the purpose of picking up, and dropping off their children and not have to worry about being charged with a felony for doing it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Just sent an email to my state rep about the waiting period. I'd be surprised if he wasn't on board.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They also need to amend the CCW law to allow CCL holders to be able to drive onto school property for the purpose of picking up, and dropping off their children and not have to worry about being charged with a felony for doing it.
View Quote

+1
(as a father with 3 young kids)

It won't happen, but they should also also drop the school ban and allow schools to decide if it should be posted or not.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
+1

It won't happen, but they should also also drop the school ban and allow schools to decide if it should be posted or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2  No kids, but I do science demos for the kids at the local schools.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

My next door neighbor is the high school biology teacher. He adamantly believes he should have a Right to carry. But he says there is one teacher that is an absolute hot-head that most teachers would object if he carried...

Talked to my CLEO about this 2 days ago. He said, " Park on the street & there are no problems." I asked "What about the recent court ruling against the USPS ruling that said they could not ban them in the parking lots." & also we discussed how I was informed AZ passes a law to circumvent the law.

He also mention how many hoops he has to jump through as a plain-clothes LEO to carry on campus. It was a recent hearing before our school board.

We discussed also that if individuals go through a period of training with LEO on school premises to train for scenarios & to establish a relationship with invdividuals that may show in the event of an emergency or may be present carrying arms so they may be able to know a good guy from a bad guy.

Again, all this was just discussions as we have from time to time... But we hash stuff out in this manner.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:23:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I thought I would start a thread to highlight some information pertaining to the 2015-2016 Legislative Session that started on Monday in Madison. As a result of the November Election,  Republicans have expanded their majorities in both the Senate and Assembly. Simply speaking, there are definitely the votes to get things done the next two years.

In this thread I will cover the following:
Important Legislation as it is introduced including anything 2nd Amendment related or hot topics such as Common Core, new stadiums taxes, and the speed limit.
If any bill of interest starts moving I will post links to bill text and other documents including committee, and session feeds as well as requests for public comment.
General Information including the Legislative Calendar, Special Elections, how to find your legislators and so on.
On request, Information and advice on how to best contact your legislators.

I plan on updating the following topics as things start to heat up over the next few weeks or if any of the information changes. My goal is provide a resource of legislative information.

2015-2016 Wisconsin State Legislature:
Assembly: 63 Republicans / 36 Democrats
Senate: 18 Republicans / 14 Democrats / 1 vacancy with Glenn Grothman resigning

Find Your Legislators:
Find Your Legislator
(Should be automatic/if not use the search function)

Legislative Calendar:
1/5/2015: Inauguration
1/7/2015: Assembly Floor Session
Floor Session Video
(Lots of anti gun comments regarding the assembly rule allowing firearms in the assembly gallery)
1/13/2015: Gov. Walker’s State of the State Address

Important Legislation:

AB13 Rep. Knodl R
The return of a seized firearm to the person who owns the firearm.
Public Hearing: Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:00 AM
225 Northwest
AB13

LRB 0923/1 Senators Wanggaard & Tiffany Representatives Quinn, Kremer, Czaja, & Thiesfeldt Repeal of 48 Hour Rule for Handgun Purchases

Special Elections:
20th Senate District
Republican Primary - February 17th,2015
Candidates:
General Election - April 7th, 2015

View Quote

I have a buddy that's a marine who's personal firearms were seized from his brothers house while he was away active duty, and Madison refuses to return them to him. How do I get him in touch with someone to potentially speak at a hearing or what ever.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I believe the repeal would increase gun sales, just judging from personal experience. I cannot count the number of times I've seen a handgun "on sale" at a price I would jump on, if it didn't involve TWO trips to a far away seller (or a transfer fee & shipping costs to a closer-to-home FFL, which usually wipe out any savings on a sale price). I've bought plenty of long guns at gun shows, but as most licensed dealers at the gun shows I attend "up north" are from "down south", I shy away from all the bullshit involved with finding a local FFL to do a transfer. Only once did I buy a handgun from a gun show, and only because the seller (from Fond Du Lac), who was at an Eagle River show, was also attending a Rhinelander show 3 weeks later and I picked it up there... so my "48hrs" was more like 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#45]

From the link:

But domestic violence organizations call the 48-hour wait critical to victim safety and say it was also intended as a "cooling off" period. He says the most dangerous time for a domestic violence victim is the one or two days during separation.

"You have to ask yourself if someone wants a gun instantaneously or within an hour or two, why do they really need it that quickly?" said Tony Gibart, with End Domestic Violence Wisconsin. "It seems if someone needs it very quickly, chances are they are up to no good.

Some people just don't grasp reality very well. This proposed law change would make WI the same as 43 other States. Does this "what if"  domestic violence scenario have any evidence in those other 43 states of being a major issue there?

He also is assuming a handgun buyer "needs a handgun instantaneously", instead of simply doesn't want the inconvenience and major annoyance of return trips... especially someone with a CCW license who already has a gun on their hip.

And perhaps most importantly, he totally discounts the fact that just maybe it's the potential domestic violence victim who is the gun buyer, and because of this needless law, she has to wait those  2 "most dangerous" days to buy a handgun for self defense.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#46]

The guy from Deerfield pistol is disappointing
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Second chance for impulse buys and ammo sales. Why not.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sounds like they fucked him with editing.  He didn't say anything about the wait, just that he didn't want to any of his guns used in a murder.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#49]
New state law----- You must pull over every 5 miles on WI interstates and highways for a 'cool off period' of 4 hours, just in-case you might get road rage.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I have a buddy that's a marine who's personal firearms were seized from his brothers house while he was away active duty, and Madison refuses to return them to him. How do I get him in touch with someone to potentially speak at a hearing or what ever.
View Quote
Try contacting Nick Clark from Wisconsin Carry.  They (he) have helped several folks get their guns back. (May have helped out Nazir (the Aldi CC carry guy) get his back.)

http://www.wisconsincarry.org/

Good luck.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top