Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like I'm mistaken on one point-it's (Act 22 as it's now known) is on the LRB website, but it says official publication date is the 25th (Thursday), so it will go in effect on Friday the 26th.

Why this is, when it's on the LRB website NOW, is beyond me.
View Quote

It's the government, it's best not to try to apply logic.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not much of a wait... less than the 48 hours has been. There is no delay of effective date in the bill. It's take effect as soon as procedures are followed. What that means is, as soon as the law has been "published", it goes into effect. By law, publishing must take place within 24 hours after notification of signing. So it should be in effect by some time tomorrow or Friday at the latest... and it's about time. This should have been part of the CCW law back in 2011, at a minimum for CHL holders.

also...Not sure if the ATF now has any reason to not include WI on the "alternative list" of the Brady Law. What the list is, 22 states currently use a carry license issued to a resident of that state in lieu of a background check, when buying a gun. The only fly in that ointment might be, handgun checks will still go through WI DOJ, and not just NICS. Not sure how that'll play out. No State with a waiting period is on the list.  

Here's the current list of what qualifies as a NICS alternative in each State -> https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart

Happy handgun shopping to all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's with all the pens?  Did he have so much signing to do he needed 87 spares?

What's the details of this?  Straight up repeal with no strings attached?

He signs every line of every letter of his name with a different pen. The law completely repeals the 48 hr wait on handgun purchases.
The pens are then mementos for the occasion. "The pen that was used to sign XYZ"  

Is the repeal instant? Or is there a wait until this takes effect?

Not much of a wait... less than the 48 hours has been. There is no delay of effective date in the bill. It's take effect as soon as procedures are followed. What that means is, as soon as the law has been "published", it goes into effect. By law, publishing must take place within 24 hours after notification of signing. So it should be in effect by some time tomorrow or Friday at the latest... and it's about time. This should have been part of the CCW law back in 2011, at a minimum for CHL holders.

also...Not sure if the ATF now has any reason to not include WI on the "alternative list" of the Brady Law. What the list is, 22 states currently use a carry license issued to a resident of that state in lieu of a background check, when buying a gun. The only fly in that ointment might be, handgun checks will still go through WI DOJ, and not just NICS. Not sure how that'll play out. No State with a waiting period is on the list.  

Here's the current list of what qualifies as a NICS alternative in each State -> https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart

Happy handgun shopping to all.

Was chatting with an FFL & his take on it:

"Handgun hot line, part of WI  doj supposedly doesn't like it and they do the background  check, they extended the response  time for getting back to the gun store to 5 days, so if they don't want guns going out that day they just don't call back with approval. Right now it takes between a couple hours to a day for approval when I call."
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#4]
You don't suppose the hotline workers feel their jobs are threatened, and the state background check will be eliminated next?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You don't suppose the hotline workers feel their jobs are threatened, and the state background check will be eliminated next?
View Quote
I am sure work slow-downs and getting their union involved will keep that from happening.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Suppose the Handgun Hotline wouldn't like this because now there's more expectation of an instant approved/denied verdict.  Before if they were busy they'd just take down the info and call you later.

Its been awhile since I worked at a gun store.  What's the time limit?  If they don't call back in within some time period the paperwork is assumed 'approved'?  If I recall we've already transferred guns in which Handgun Hotline calls back and says, "Denied".  We tell them, "Too late, it's already been transferred".  I suppose that was put into law to prevent intentional feet dragging by a liberal mole employee attempting to advance a personal agenda.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, It's dealers discretion to release the gun after 3 days. But this law now allows up to 5 days.

I expect an increase in handgun sales this weekend, obviously. The question is, are there going to be delays because of increased load, or because the DOJ want to be assholes?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Something I've heard from multiple sources, but cannot confirm this with raw data. Background checks submitted to DOJ via internet are taking longer on average for approval than those done with a telephone call. My personal observations seem to confirm at least part of this, the telephone call part being very fast with approval. Every handgun I've bought that went through DOJ (10-12? in the last 15 yrs or so) was done by telephone call, and every one was cleared within minutes. I believe the longest wait for approval was about 15 minutes, in one of the few that required a return call... and that was on a Labor Day weekend.  

Not that it matters anymore, but I've also heard two different versions of how the 48 hrs  countdown worked. One said the clock began ticking when the call was made, the other said the clock began ticking upon approval notification. I have never had to wait more than 48 hrs from making the original purchasing visit to a gun shop to complete the sale (I've purchased handguns from 3 different local shops). So either the clock started upon the call, or I was approved instantly. Which was it?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not that it matters anymore, but I've also heard two different versions of how the 48 hrs  countdown worked. One said the clock began ticking when the call was made, the other said the clock began ticking upon approval notification. I have never had to wait more than 48 hrs from making the original purchasing visit to a gun shop to complete the sale (I've purchased handguns from 3 different local shops). So either the clock started upon the call, or I was approved instantly. Which was it?
View Quote

In my experiences through kitchen table FFLs and Brick & Mortar the clock started right after the phone call was made.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In my experiences through kitchen table FFLs and Brick & Mortar the clock started right after the phone call was made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The official clock starts when the confirmation number is received which is provided even if you do not get an approval number immediately.

175.35  Waiting period for purchase of handguns.(2) When a firearms dealer sells a handgun, he or she may not transfer possession of that handgun to any other person until all of the following have occurred:      (d)Forty-eight hours, subject to extension under sub. (2g) (c) 4. c., have elapsed from the time that the firearms dealer has received a confirmation number regarding the firearms restrictions record search under sub. (2g) (c) from the department of justice and the firearms dealer has not been notified that the transfer would be in violation of s. 941.29.

"Confirmation number" means the unique number the department provides a handgun dealer to confirm an initial telephone call from the dealer to the department requesting handgun transfer approval whenever approval is not granted during that call.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It should be a non-requirement for CC licensees.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Was the switchblade assisted opening knife part of this bill?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was the switchblade assisted opening knife part of this bill?
View Quote

No. It is on hold until fall.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Report back on those who purchase and get their gun same day and how long it took, etc.  Interested in how the roll out goes.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#15]

It should be a non-requirement for CC licensees.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Got my first no-wait handgun today around noon. They advised I may as well go home and wait for them to call me back. Ten minutes later they called me back.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Got my first no-wait handgun today around noon. They advised I may as well go home and wait for them to call me back. Ten minutes later they called me back.
View Quote
Gun shop?

Kitchen table FFL?

Wal-Mart?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Report back on those who purchase and get their gun same day and how long it took, etc.  Interested in how the roll out goes.
View Quote
Instant approval:

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Gun shop?  

Kitchen table FFL?

Wal-Mart?
View Quote

Cabela's in Richfield
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Picked up a Ruger SR1911 from Wiebke's in La Crosse on Saturday. DOJ internet clearance took about 35 minutes, and I was out the door.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Those seem like some long wait times...everyone out buying handguns?

I remember working at an FFL 90+% of the time Handgun Hotline would give you an approval number dang near instantly.  All the while you can hear an old dot-matrix style printer hammering away in the background.

What does Handgun Hotline really do that the federal NICS can't?  Wonder if they are just middle men running a NICS check.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#22]
They pretty much are. Checking federal and state databases.

Honestly, should have gone with NICS only and done away with state form and fee too, but maybe somewhere along the line, they'll be eliminated in a budget
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Honestly, should have gone with NICS only and done away with state form and fee too, but maybe somewhere along the line, they'll be eliminated in a budget
View Quote

I think a legislator did run a budget motion to do it. Doj put a stop to that real quick.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think a legislator did run a budget motion to do it. Doj put a stop to that real quick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two words......"job security"
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#25]
My frustration is with the NCIC instant check. Regardless of the WI 3 day wait, NCIC always has me "on hold"....

No win....

V
OUT
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My frustration is with the NCIC instant check. Regardless of the WI 3 day wait, NCIC always has me "on hold"....

No win....

V

OUT
View Quote
Expungement or not, a conviction for selling dope to school children while disguised as a nun tends to linger.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Budget vote for the assembly tonight. Capitol is evacuated due to a threat.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Update with my first "post waiting period" purchase. Call placed at 12:30pm July 3rd waited around for half hour and finally went home empty handed. Dealer called me back at 7:30 said he just got the go-ahead. I'm hoping that friday was just a worst case accumulation of a busy day and probably short staffing before a holiday weekend.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Update with my first "post waiting period" purchase. Call placed at 12:30pm July 3rd waited around for half hour and finally went home empty handed. Dealer called me back at 7:30 said he just got the go-ahead. I'm hoping that friday was just a worst case accumulation of a busy day and probably short staffing before a holiday weekend.
View Quote

I think you'll see lots of this happening. They get rid of the statutory 48 hr waiting period, only to be replaced by a 24 hr waiting period since most people won't wait around for hours, will go home, and then pick it up the next day.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I think you'll see lots of this happening. They get rid of the statutory 48 hr waiting period, only to be replaced by a 24 hr waiting period since most people won't wait around for hours, will go home, and then pick it up the next day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If that is the case we need the pressure back on the legislator to do away with the HGH all together or at least for ccw holders to start with...

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Worked dispatch a couple of years and ran NCIC/CIB cks. ad nauseum.  Once info is entered and you hit the enter button, response was always in seconds, not minutes.  So any delays regarding NCIC cks. would be with the time the operator takes to enter the info and the time they respond to the inquiry.  Not sure if the DOJ runs any other cks. or has other requirements before responding.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If that is the case we need the pressure back on the legislator to do away with the HGH all together or at least for ccw holders to start with...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that should have been included in the bill, no HGH check required if the buyer possesses a CCW license.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yep, that should have been included in the bill, no HGH check required if the buyer possesses a CCW license.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That cannot happen until BATFE puts a WI CHL on the Brady Law Exempt List. Undergoing a background check when buying from a dealer is a federal law, not state. Using a concealed carry license as a substitute for a background check is under federal jurisdiction. There are currently 22 states where having a CCW license IS your background check.... because the feds said so.  

AFAIK, WI now meets the federal criteria to be on that list. States like MI, IA, NE all have similar background check systems (FBI/NICS for long guns, state does handguns as a POC - point of contact -  to NICS for handguns) and they are on the list. It's been 3 1/2 years since WI got CCW licenses... I don't know what the feds' delay is in adding WI. But you can probably figure that one out by who runs the U.S. Justice Dept. If Hillary gets elected in 2016, we'll just keep on waiting. It's not supposed to be "political"... yeah right.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I seem to recall that the state has to ask the DOJ to be removed from the background check list. I could be wrong on that though.

As far as delays, Friday the 3rd was experiencing a 6 hour delay, according to the NICS people at the SP Cabelas. The DOJ claim was of equipment problems. Personally, I think they all just decided to leave early, since the hotline was down for the 4th also!
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I bought one on the afternoon of 7/3 and they didn't get an instant approval (he said that hasn't been uncommon). I didn't hear anything so I was in the area Wednesday (7/8) and stopped in (they are about an hour away from me). He said they never did get the callback and decided to call again. During that call they gave him the approval. I appreciate him calling them otherwise I'd have to make another trip out.

I didn't know but I thought having a very uncommon name would have made it easier but I guess it didn't. I had hoped getting rid of the waiting period would have made things easier to go to them and not have to make that separate 1hr trip so it's a bit disappointing (but maybe better for my pocketbook ).
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I seem to recall that the state has to ask the DOJ to be removed from the background check list. I could be wrong on that though.

As far as delays, Friday the 3rd was experiencing a 6 hour delay, according to the NICS people at the SP Cabelas. The DOJ claim was of equipment problems. Personally, I think they all just decided to leave early, since the hotline was down for the 4th also!
View Quote

"Equipment problem" they want more money/staff.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Caught the bomb threat guy:
http://www.channel3000.com/news/officials-identify-capitol-bomb-threat-suspect/34166672

He's a lefty if his Facebook profile is any indication.

Imagine that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Only took a few hours this afternoon to get approval, they said it's been pretty unpredictable though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I have been finding about 75-80% go right through.
The ones that are delayed are anywhere from under an hour to 48 hours.
Yesterday the hotline being down for 3 hours didn't help. Also when I called around 9:30ish today they had taken over 200 calls already.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That cannot happen until BATFE puts a WI CHL on the Brady Law Exempt List. Undergoing a background check when buying from a dealer is a federal law, not state. Using a concealed carry license as a substitute for a background check is under federal jurisdiction. There are currently 22 states where having a CCW license IS your background check.... because the feds... [/img]
View Quote

Many here also have Utah permits.  Should be good enough, no?

Also, regarding state check:  what is the number who pass fed but legitimately fail WI check and are denied transfer?  Seems like that would tell us if there is even a "value" argument to be had...
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That cannot happen until BATFE puts a WI CHL on the Brady Law Exempt List. Undergoing a background check when buying from a dealer is a federal law, not state. Using a concealed carry license as a substitute for a background check is under federal jurisdiction. There are currently 22 states where having a CCW license IS your background check.... because the feds... [/url]

Interesting question, quick answer is it only applies WITHIN Utah to Utah FFLs.

As far as handguns go, you must be a resident of the state where you're purchasing the handgun, so a Wisconite with a UT CHL means nothing, neither here in WI nor there in UT.

But it is an interesting situation regarding long guns sold in Utah to a WI resident with a UT CHL. I've never looked into that angle, and have no idea if that's valid. Until just recently, WI law prohibited a WI resident from buying a long gun in another state that did not border WI. That's been changed, we can now buy long guns in all states as far as WI law is concerned.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I had to do a handgun background check at my local kitchen table FFL today and I was cleared instantly. The dealer told me that a lot of the checks for handguns take 2-3 hours. I'm lucky though, there are maybe 10 people in this state with my last name and I'm clean as a whistle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Any word on the switchblade law yet?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Any word on the switchblade law yet?
View Quote

No. I'll see if I can get an update this week. Not a whole lot is going on beyond some abortion stuff.

I just got back from vacation and i am way out of the loop.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Hi everyone!

I made a few updates today. Let me know if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hi everyone!

I made a few updates today to the OP. Let me know if you have any questions.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#47]
On Thursday 9/10 there will be a public hearing and a committee vote on SB 102, Switchblade Carry, in the Senate.

PUBLIC HEARING Senate Committee on Judiciary and Public Safety Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:00 AM 330 Southwest
Senate Bill 102 Relating to: going armed with a switchblade.

EXECUTIVE SESSION Senate Committee on Judiciary and Public Safety Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:01 AM 330 Southwest
Senate Bill 102 Relating to: going armed with a switchblade.

It is also looking like the 2015/16 Session will be wrapping up in February. That really leaves just a few more weeks for legislation to be introduced.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I hope this passes. I got my hopes up for a new benchmade auto
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I hope this passes. I got my hopes up for a new benchmade auto
View Quote

I've heard it is good to go. I figure it will be law by the end of October. The one thing I have noticed is that soon as the senate holds a committee vote one a Bill it usually means it will make it though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top