Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Will transfer fees go down in cost? The FFL will only have to make one appointment with you, as you will not have to return back 48 hours later to pick up your gun.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will transfer fees go down in cost? The FFL will only have to make one appointment with you, as you will not have to return back 48 hours later to pick up your gun.
View Quote

Nope, the call to the state handgun hotline will still cost the same and most ffls seem to charge the price of their long gun transfer plus the handgun hotline fee.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
If Walker were to sign the 48 hour bill on Friday, when would the official publication be made? Monday? I'm guess sat/sun don't count.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If Walker were to sign the 48 hour bill on Friday, when would the official publication be made? Monday? I'm guess sat/sun don't count.
View Quote

Good question. It's published in the WI State Journal, a Madison daily newspaper which I assume is published 7 days a week. But the Sec of State likely doesn't work on weekends, so my guess would also be Monday if the bill is signed on a Friday.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Sec Of state is Lafollete, a major lilbtard. He'll probably delay it as long as possible, as he always does with legislation he doesn't agree with.
So probably Monday at best.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sec Of state is Lafollete, a major lilbtard. He'll probably delay it as long as possible, as he always does with legislation he doesn't agree with.
View Quote

He used to have 7 days... the legislature changed that because of his intentional delays on shit he didn't like as a lib.... now he has just one day.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

He used to have 7 days... the legislature changed that because of his intentional delays on shit he didn't like as a lib.... now he has just one day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it used to be 10, but I could be wrong. I seem to recall reading this when act 10 passed.

Here's what I found about publishing, the Legislative Reference Bureau publishes it first, electronically (24 hours after signing), and the law becomes active the day after publishing. Then it's sent to the sec. of state, who publishes it, seemingly as a formality.

linky

ETA: Sounds like a friday signing would be effective the following Sunday.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#8]
There's no guarantee as to which Friday it will be signed (maybe today, maybe next week, maybe next month)... or that it will be signed on a Friday, for that matter. Signings just seem to happen most often on Fridays, as if it's the last official business done for that week to wrap things up. Highly controversial bills always seem to have a big "scheduled" ceremonial  signing in front of TV cameras... I don't think this one fits that niche, like the concealed carry law, act 11, etc. & others did.

What we do know is he will sign it (said he would at the NRA convention, and other times), and the waiting period law will be gone a day or so later. Just a formality now... finally.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Any word on Walker signing it?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Walker has been on a 6 day "business development" trip to Canada since Friday, due back Wednesday I believe.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

My guess is sometime next week.

Ill try to find out though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The bill becomes a law if the Governor does not sign or veto it within 6 days Sundays excluded.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The bill becomes a law if the Governor does not sign or veto it within 6 days Sundays excluded.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Earlier I said the (concurred on by Assembly) Senate bill was ordered immediately messaged to Walker by the Assembly after concurrence. I was wrong. When I checked the bill's history yesterday, it said it was ordered immediately messaged back to the Senate. The 6 day clock doesn't begin until the Senate sends the bill to Walker. AFAIK, they have not done so yet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Earlier I said the (concurred on by Assembly) Senate bill was ordered immediately messaged to Walker by the Assembly after concurrence. I was wrong. When I checked the bill's history yesterday, it said it was ordered immediately messaged back to the Senate. The 6 day clock doesn't begin until the Senate sends the bill to Walker. AFAIK, they have not done so yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct. The bill has to be presented to the governor and then he has six days. In some cases this can take months.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This is correct. The bill has to be presented to the governor and then he has six days. In some cases this can take months.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great.  

No word on signing. I figure at worst he will sign a bunch of bills before he announces on the 5th.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Has it been delivered to him yet?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No word on signing. I figure at worst he will sign a bunch of bills before he announces on the 5th.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great.  

Announces his run for the Oval Office?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great.  

Yup
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#20]
What is he going to do in the oval orfice?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Destroy all unions, sell the entire planet (and the moon) to the Koch brothers, magically poison all weed, his eyes will turn red and he will grow horns.

All on the first day.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Destroy all unions, sell the entire planet (and the moon) to the Koch brothers, magically poison all weed, his eyes will turn red and he will grow horns.  

All on the first day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All on the first day.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All on the first day.

You forgot about recreating the patriot act with an extra provision for spying on women who want an abortion.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#24]
WTF? Walker signed SB164 into law yesterday. It was concurred upon by the Assembly on the same day as SB35 (handgun wait) and several others. Did his pen run out of ink?

http://walker.wi.gov/newsroom/press-release/governor-scott-walker-signs-senate-bill-164-law
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

All on the first day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All on the first day.

Are we talking about Walker or Ryan?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
WTF? Walker signed SB164 into law yesterday. It was concurred upon by the Assembly on the same day as SB35 (handgun wait) and several others. Did his pen run out of ink?

http://walker.wi.gov/newsroom/press-release/governor-scott-walker-signs-senate-bill-164-law
View Quote

Politically, yesterday was probably not the best day to sign a pro-gun bill.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. It is going to get signed. I don't think they are going to advertise it though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what you mean.... but screw that bullshit. Are we so afraid of the anti-gun media we have to hide our side of the debate from the public? I'm sick of coddling the libtards and being afraid to "offend" someone's "sensibilities". I've been offended a half dozen times by anti-gun assholes on TV since that S.C. shooting, does anybody on "the left" care about offending us? It's "white America's" fault? I'm a white American.... I just got blamed for that evil bastard's deeds, so I should give 2 shits about what they think? <rant over>

BTW... A 48 hour waiting period has ZERO relation to an attack perpetrated by someone who owned his handgun for at least 2 months.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:01:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I know what you mean.... but screw that bullshit. Are we so afraid of the anti-gun media we have to hide our side of the debate from the public? I'm sick of coddling the libtards and being afraid to "offend" someone's "sensibilities". I've been offended a half dozen times by anti-gun assholes on TV since that S.C. shooting, does anybody on "the left" care about offending us? It's "white America's" fault? I'm a white American.... I just got blamed for that evil bastard's deeds, so I should give 2 shits about what they think? <rant over>

BTW... A 48 hour waiting period has ZERO relation to an attack perpetrated by someone who owned his handgun for at least 2 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Our reps passed it now it is up to our Gov to sign.

We all know full well he has visions of WhiteHouse meetings dancing in his head but if he can not stand up for our rights, in our own state, he doesn't deserve my Vote come next Nov.

Signing it on the heals of this tragedy proves he does care about Rights & people's well beings & not more concerned what MSM, Communist News Network, Faux, etc & the  troglodytes that soak up their dribble & believe it.

All those people are dead because they CHOSE not to be able to defend themselves against someone who CHOSE to do what he did. That has absolutely nothing to do with the 150+Million gun owners in this country having a Right to freedom that those in office swore to uphold.

If he lets public opinion on something that has nothing to do with politics sway him that easily then he is no better than they are & I can't trust him as far as I can throw him.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:13:51 AM EDT
[#30]

From the WKOW news site, the 48hr repeal gets signed Wednesday in Milwaukee.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Finally some good news.

Quoted:
From the WKOW news site, the 48hr repeal gets signed Wednesday in Milwaukee.

http://www.wkow.com/story/29392897/2015/06/24/governor-walker-to-sign-gun-related-bills-Wednesday

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#32]
The 48hr wait repeal bill was "presented to the Governor" by the Senate yesterday. By law, he now has 6 days from yesterday to sign or veto. If he does nothing, it becomes law in 6 days. So the story linked above is accurate.

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2015/proposals/sb35
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The 48hr wait repeal bill was "presented to the Governor" by the Senate yesterday. By law, he now has 6 days from yesterday to sign or veto. If he does nothing, it becomes law in 6 days. So the story linked above is accurate.

View Quote

JS says signing is at noon.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
On a side note, he has 6 days excluding Sunday to sign the bill because politicians can't make anything simple and just say "a week."

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Way to listen to the people of your state Gov Walker

We salute you!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We salute you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We salute you!

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#39]
What's with all the pens?  Did he have so much signing to do he needed 87 spares?

What's the details of this?  Straight up repeal with no strings attached?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What's with all the pens?  Did he have so much signing to do he needed 87 spares?

View Quote

He signs every line of every letter of his name with a different pen. The law completely repeals the 48 hr wait on handgun purchases.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
He signs every line of every letter of his name with a different pen. The law completely repeals the 48 hr wait on handgun purchases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The pens are then mementos for the occasion. "The pen that was used to sign XYZ"

Is the repeal instant? Or is there a wait until this takes effect?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Just received notice from Handgun Hotline, takes effect June 26 (Friday).
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#43]
NICE!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The pens are then mementos for the occasion. "The pen that was used to sign XYZ"  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not much of a wait... less than the 48 hours has been. There is no delay of effective date in the bill. It takes effect as soon as procedures are followed. What that means is, as soon as the law has been "published", it goes into effect. By law, publishing must take place within 24 hours after notification of signing. So it should be in effect by some time tomorrow or Friday at the latest... and it's about time. This should have been part of the CCW law back in 2011, at a minimum for CHL holders.

also...Not sure if the ATF now has any reason to not include WI on the "alternative list" of the Brady Law. What the list is, 22 states currently use a carry license issued to a resident of that state in lieu of a background check, when buying a gun. The only fly in that ointment might be, handgun checks will still go through WI DOJ, and not just NICS. Not sure how that'll play out. No State with a waiting period is on the list.  

Here's the current list of what qualifies as a NICS alternative in each State -> https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart

Happy handgun shopping to all.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I might have to purchase me a handgun this weekend!

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Now can we get a bill to reimburse lost gas monies all those years driving to the gunshop twice for that stupid waiting period?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Technically, it should take effect June 25th, as it's effective 24 hours after the LRB publishes, which they have.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm expecting a the J frame I ordered this weekend to arrive Monday or Tuesday next week so cheers to Scott on the timing of this one!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Technically, it should take effect June 25th, as it's effective 24 hours after the LRB publishes, which they have.
View Quote

The way I understand it, the LRB has 24 hrs to publish after receiving official notification it was signed, and it becomes law IMMEDIATELY UPON publishing. So if it was already published today, it should be in effect RIGHT NOW. But it's govt in action again. Now we must wait 48 hours for the 48 hours law to expire... oh the irony. I'm just happy it's finally coming to an end.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#50]
It looks like I'm mistaken on one point-it's (Act 22 as it's now known) is on the LRB website, but it says official publication date is the 25th (Thursday), so it will go in effect on Friday the 26th.

Why this is, when it's on the LRB website NOW, is beyond me.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top