Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 3:10:49 PM EDT
So I purchased a complete lower from PSA and had it shipped to my FFL.  Went to go sign the paperwork and they tell me there is a mandatory 48 hour wait on all lowers.  Is this correct?  Or does this apply only to stripped lowers?  Why can I just walk into the store and buy a full AR and walk out with it the same day but the lower requires a wait?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I purchased a complete lower from PSA and had it shipped to my FFL.  Went to go sign the paperwork and they tell me there is a mandatory 48 hour wait on all lowers.  Is this correct?  Or does this apply only to stripped lowers?  Why can I just walk into the store and buy a full AR and walk out with it the same day but the lower requires a wait?
View Quote

Find a new FFL. hey probably transferred it like a pistol. Search out one that actually knows what they are doing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
With 5-0 on this one.  The complete lower should ahve been transfered as "other", since it it neither a rifle nor a pistol.  Since it is not a pistol, it is not subject to teh WI check or the $10 fee.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
What they said.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Dam Road Gun Shop?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#5]
An unbuilt lower isn't a pistol or a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm an ffl. I agree, find a different FFL next time.

It's a 4473 call in, not a Wisconsin Handgun w/a 48 hour wait.

The only rule that's different on a lower/receiver is that you must be 21 to purchase it, just like the handgun age requirement.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:43:11 AM EDT
[#7]
he was wrong...find a new FFL

you should have been able to walk out the door with it same day
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#8]
So I went yesterday to inspect the lower and I filled out the 4473.  There was no $10 charge to the handgun hotline.  They just said with lowers, you have to wait 48 hours to pick up.  I asked why I have to wait 48 hours to pick up the lower half, but I can purchase a fully built AR15 and walk out with it that same day.  This is the answer I received
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I probably don't even want to know how much you paid for the transfer.

But like everyone said, find a new FFL who actually knows their stuff.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Do us all a favor and tell us which FFL this is.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

To be honest I paid $0.  Its a large outdoor retailer and I work there so I didn't want to raise to much hell.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

To be honest I paid $0.  Its a large outdoor retailer and I work there so I didn't want to raise to much hell.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So when are you quitting?  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
With 5-0 on this one.  The complete lower should ahve been transfered as "other", since it it neither a rifle nor a pistol.  Since it is not a pistol, it is not subject to teh WI check or the $10 fee.
View Quote

Unless it had a stock mounted on it. All the PSA complete lowers I have seen for sale come with a rifle stock and fire control parts installed. In any case there should be no wait seeing as though it's a rifle then and not a receiver or "other". OP.......did the receiver have a stock mounted to it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes it did.  And they did classify it as "other".  Even though I did try explaining that it IS a rifle and NOT a pistol.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Unless it had a stock mounted on it. All the PSA complete lowers I have seen for sale come with a rifle stock and fire control parts installed. In any case there should be no wait seeing as though it's a rifle then and not a receiver or "other". OP.......did the receiver have a stock mounted to it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes it did.  And they did classify it as "other".  Even though I did try explaining that it IS a rifle and NOT a pistol.

Doesn't matter if a stock was attached or not. A complete lower is still "other" on a 4473 unless the manufacturer has it in their records, along with the build tax, that it was fully assembled & logged as a complete firearm.

In order to change the designation from the manufacturer, a dealer (FFL doing the transfer) must also be a manufacturer. Otherwise they are incorrectly filling out a 4473.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Is that a corporate policy ?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#17]
WI needs to dump the worthless waiting period.
Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#18]
gtfoxy has it right.  As a "for instance" I bought a BCM lower that came with a stock.  It doesn't have a barrel so it can't be a pistol or rifle until assembled as such.  It transferred as an "other," I pulled the stock, assembled it with my 8.2" upper as a pistol, took a picture, then pulled the upper and replaced it with my pinned 14.5" and put the stock back on so I can return it to a pistol configuration if I want.  Yeah, I know it's overkill but fuck it I'm not wasting film doing it that way or anything.

I don't understand why they wouldn't charge the background check fee yet still insist there is a waiting period.  That's fucking clownshoes right there as it isn't even internally consistent as a policy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do us all a favor and tell us which FFL this is.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Problem solved.
View Quote

For licensees, at a minimum.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Problem solved.

Email campaign at hand?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Email campaign at hand?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Problem solved.

Email campaign at hand?

Meh. Not for me.

The only irritant with the 48 hour thing is that I have to make two trips to my FFL. But he's a good guy, that I rarely see, and I really don't mind chatting for a few.

The sensible position would be, if you already have a handgun, then you don't have to wait to get another one, because the additional firearm clearly is not enabling any action that you're not presently capable of.

Truth is, WI firearms law is so good that I'm not willing to be an agitator for change, especially over petty things, because it presents too much opportunity to wreck a good thing.

Better to focus on criminal definitions:
Multiple persons committing street violence = Riot.
All riot participants are liable for all crimes committed by the riot.
If one rioter commits a violent act, then defense against all riot participants is warranted, justified, legally excused, and civilly protected.
Obstructing motorists on streets = kidnapping.

Those things would make a major shift to benefit square tax payers and hurt violent criminals. In contrast, 48 waiting periods don't matter.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Meh. Not for me.

The only irritant with the 48 hour thing is that I have to make two trips to my FFL. But he's a good guy, that I rarely see, and I really don't mind chatting for a few.

The sensible position would be, if you already have a handgun, then you don't have to wait to get another one, because the additional firearm clearly is not enabling any action that you're not presently capable of.

Truth is, WI firearms law is so good that I'm not willing to be an agitator for change, especially over petty things, because it presents too much opportunity to wreck a good thing.

If one rioter commits a violent act, then defense against all riot participants is warranted, justified, legally excused, and civilly protected.

Those things would make a major shift to benefit square tax payers and hurt violent criminals. In contrast, 48 waiting periods don't matter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Problem solved.

Email campaign at hand?

Meh. Not for me.

Interesting perspective.

As it pertains to Cooling off periods, as that is relevant to the topic of discussion, I highly doubt, with our State composition of representatives, any negative additions would make it through the process. But I agree a thumb-on-tack approach would be very prudent in seeing this go away.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#24]
The 48 hr waiting period inhibits the purchases of handguns for no valid reason, and this "infringes" on our RKBA. It places a burden on those who want to purchase handguns from licensed dealers at gun shows, those who want to take advantage of "sales" at retailers not nearby, or those who might find a "deal" at a far away location (in state) they'd jump on, if it didn't mean 2 trips... or an additional transfer fee. Personally, I've been "victimized" by the 48 hr wait in each of those 3 scenarios at least a dozen times.

A federal court has already ruled that the waiting period in CA is a constitutional violation against those who are licensed to own, or already own, firearms. While that ruling doesn't have any effect anywhere but that circuit court, it's only a matter of time before a similar suit is filed in our area.

Not a big fan of "don't rock the boat" either. This law should've been done away with when NICS was put on line, and again when CCW was passed, and I see no reason not to get it done right now.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The 48 hr waiting period inhibits the purchases of handguns for no valid reason, and this "infringes" on our RKBA. It places a burden on those who want to purchase handguns from licensed dealers at gun shows, those who want to take advantage of "sales" at retailers not nearby, or those who might find a "deal" at a far away location (in state) they'd jump on, if it didn't mean 2 trips... or an additional transfer fee. Personally, I've been "victimized" by the 48 hr wait in each of those 3 scenarios at least a dozen times.

A federal court has already ruled that the waiting period in CA is a constitutional violation against those who are licensed to own, or already own, firearms. While that ruling doesn't have any effect anywhere but that circuit court, it's only a matter of time before a similar suit is filed in our area.

Not a big fan of "don't rock the boat" either. This law should've been done away with when NICS was put on line, and again when CCW was passed, and I see no reason not to get it done right now.
View Quote

Amen. Given our majorities, this is the time to do it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top