Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2014 7:01:46 PM EDT
Great Lakes ice cover developing; Earliest in over 40 years

Ice is already starting to develop on Michigan's Great Lakes. This is the earliest ice on some of the Great Lakes in at least 40 years.

According to the Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory, on November 20, 2014, Three of Michigan's Great Lakes had ice starting to form. Lake Superior and Lake Michigan were one-half percent ice covered, while Lake Huron had one percent ice. Lake Erie was not reporting any ice as of Nov. 20, 2014.

Decent early season ice coverage records date back to 1973. Last Friday was the earliest date that all three Great Lakes already had ice since the better reporting of early season ice began.

Lake Superior actually had ice forming on November 15th of this year. That is the earliest ice on Lake Superior in the good data set.

Lakes Superior, Michigan and Huron had ice 10 days earlier this year than last year.

Lake Superior only had five and a half months without any ice on the lake.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#1]
GLOBAL WARMING!  GLOBAL WARMING!
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

{SIGH}

So, a mean increase in global temperature doesn't mean that all areas become uniformly hotter. It means that weather patterns change as the net amount of energy in the system increases. Change is bad, because we're dependent on everything being hyperoptimized.

For instance, if you look at a globe, Germany, Ireland, and the UK are in a Canadian latitude. Their weather should be much more harsh with a poor growing season, but the Atlantic Ocean conveyor continually carries warm equatorial waters up along their shores and heats their winds.

If a change in the weather pattern caused this ocean conveyor to shut down, or re-route, then Europe could plunge into a frozen over state; due to global warming.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

{SIGH}

So, a mean increase in global temperature doesn't mean that all areas become uniformly hotter. It means that weather patterns change as the net amount of energy in the system increases. Change is bad, because we're dependent on everything being hyperoptimized.

For instance, if you look at a globe, Germany, Ireland, and the UK are in a Canadian latitude. Their weather should be much more harsh with a poor growing season, but the Atlantic Ocean conveyor continually carries warm equatorial waters up along their shores and heats their winds.

If a change in the weather pattern caused this ocean conveyor to shut down, or re-route, then Europe could plunge into a frozen over state; due to global warming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

{SIGH}

{SIGH}

Yes, you are correct.  Change is bad.  But studies show there has been change in the past, changes before the industrial revolution, changes that happened without Human help.  Even if you are a religious zealot, the Earth is 4000 years old (I'm sure it's closer to 4.5 billion years old, but that is for another debate).  at BEST, we have 100 years of accurate weather records.  Hell, the link in the first post says we've only been recording ice coverage since 1973.

So, we have an EXTREMELY small sample of weather history.  It is completely plausible, that these changes are going to happen regardless of what we do or don't do.  Human produced pollution is such a tiny blip on the history of the world, that we would be stupid to think we could actually make a difference.  Sure, we shouldn't pump whatever crap into the atmosphere, but we can't blame anything that happens on it.  In the end the earth will survive, it may be uninhabitable for humans, but the earth will be fine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
... that we would be stupid to think we could actually make a difference.
View Quote

If you believe that human actions are insignificant to the content of the atmosphere, you're incorrect.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you believe that human actions are insignificant to the content of the atmosphere, you're incorrect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... that we would be stupid to think we could actually make a difference.

"That's just like, your opinion, man."  [in best the Dude voice]

Every time some place has a little heat wave, the climate change/carbon tax pushers are screaming about how it proves climate change is caused by humans. But every time some place is colder than average, that means nothing. And that is why everyone mocks global warming every time it snows or gets colder than average. We are mocking their hypocrisy and ignorance.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
... that is why everyone mocks global warming ...
View Quote

I get that, and interject on both sides. Folks on both sides feel like they're winning the debate every time the forecast turns up or down. It's semi painful.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Weather statistics for November 2014 in Rhinelander WI show that it was the coldest average temperature (for Nov.) ever recorded, and it was also the snowiest Nov. ever recorded (blew away the old record by about a foot... almost half of the entire seasonal average of snowfall, fell in Nov. ).

IOW... here we go again.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Weather statistics for November 2014 in Rhinelander WI show that it was the coldest average temperature (for Nov.) ever recorded, and it was also the snowiest Nov. ever recorded (blew away the old record by about a foot... almost half of the entire seasonal average of snowfall, fell in Nov. ).

IOW... here we go again.  
View Quote

Global warming makes it colder.  Haven't you been listening to the dimocraps?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

IOW... here we go again.  
View Quote

This is our second winter up here so to us this is normal.  Based on that I gotta say, quit yer bitchin'!

The good news is I signed up with the Township to have them plow our property.  Great deal and makes my life easier so I am ready for continued gllobal warming.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IOW... here we go again.  

Now it's global climate change.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IOW... here we go again.  

Only because they had to backpedal because their original bullshit story didn't hold water.

Still crap, all the way around.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:34:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Climate change is good for business!
http://www.thewire.com/politics/2014/04/icelands-prime-minister-says-climate-change-will-be-great-for-business-in-iceland/360143/

(what got my attention in that article...WHALE beer!)
View Quote

Been nice and mild around here for the last two weeks ....we'll take her easier on the heating bills
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Been nice and mild around here for the last two weeks ....we'll take her easier on the heating bills
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.thewire.com/politics/2014/04/icelands-prime-minister-says-climate-change-will-be-great-for-business-in-iceland/360143/

Sposed to hit 50 here on Sunday......how's the ice doing up nort' Eagle River area?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sposed to hit 50 here on Sunday......how's the ice doing up nort' Eagle River area?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know how thick, it's covered with snow (like everything else)... but I haven't seen any ice fishermen yet. I've been in the woods hunting, not been on any hard water.  Supposed to be 40s here on weekend too. Been mild (upper 20s) last few days. WI River is open in the middle again, still ice along shorelines. Some channels between lakes are open water again too, after having been frozen over 2 weeks ago.

Figures, snowmobile trails are scheduled to open on Saturday, Friday (12/12) at 4pm.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don't know how thick, it's covered with snow (like everything else)... but I haven't seen any ice fishermen yet. I've been in the woods hunting, not been on any hard water.  Supposed to be 40s here on weekend too. Been mild (upper 20s) last few days. WI River is open in the middle again, still ice along shorelines. Some channels between lakes are open water again too, after having been frozen over 2 weeks ago.

Figures, snowmobile trails are scheduled to open on Saturday, Friday (12/12) at 4pm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you riding these days? I jumped ship to Doo; have a new Renegade in the garage. Can't wait to get some good miles on it...
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What are you riding these days? I jumped ship to Doo; have a new Renegade in the garage. Can't wait to get some good miles on it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not into trail riding anymore... gave it up after too many close calls with go-fast drunks. My riding is now limited just to accessing certain areas off the trails (that we can't get to by truck in winter) for coyote hunting, and for pulling my ice fishing sled. Once in a while, I'll go for a long trail ride just for old times sake.... but I do so on a weekday, early morning, when the trails are empty. So I'm still riding my older Yamaha (1997 XTC600), no need for a new sled, I like what I've got. Also have two 1980 Yamaha 440 Exciters I play around with (and just recently sold some 250 Enticers). Used one of those 440s for getting around the woods during deer season (on private land of course). I really like that change in the law about transporting long guns on vehicles. Now I can just sling a rifle or shotgun on my back - unloaded & uncased - stick my yote caller & decoy into my saddlebags, and ride into the woods ).
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#18]
If you did not catch the sea caves last year, I suggest that you make the trip this year.  It was definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:56:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not into trail riding anymore... gave it up after too many close calls with go-fast drunks. My riding is now limited just to accessing certain areas off the trails (that we can't get to by truck in winter) for coyote hunting, and for pulling my ice fishing sled. Once in a while, I'll go for a long trail ride just for old times sake.... but I do so on a weekday, early morning, when the trails are empty. So I'm still riding my older Yamaha (1997 XTC600), no need for a new sled, I like what I've got. Also have two 1980 Yamaha 440 Exciters I play around with (and just recently sold some 250 Enticers). Used one of those 440s for getting around the woods during deer season (on private land of course). I really like that change in the law about transporting long guns on vehicles. Now I can just sling a rifle or shotgun on my back - unloaded & uncased - stick my yote caller & decoy into my saddlebags, and ride into the woods ).
View Quote

I get sick of those clowns, too. I just try to avoid the tight twisty logging trails where all the Tucker Hibbert wannabees are taking corners on the wrong side of the trail, and stick to the wider trails like forest roads, high lines, rail grades, etc. Much safer.

I like the new law, too.    I just wish it hadn't taken so long for things to change.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top