Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 10:20:21 PM EDT
Just curious if anybody knows.  I forget, it's been a while since I've gone but something tells me they ARE posted.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I never look anymore.... Signs don't protect me...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much. Either I take my money elsewhere, or ignore it if I really need something right then and there from the business.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Majestic in Brookfield is not posted, or at least not noticeably posted if it is because I haven't seen any signs.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:25:30 AM EDT
[#4]
None posted last time I was at the marcus theater here in Wausau area.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Just went to the one in Mequon a couple of weeks ago.  I entered through the doors to Zaffiro's which is connected to the Marcus theater.  Nothing posted there.  

Good pizza.  Bad movie.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I've never noticed the Saukville theater to be posted.  Then again I've never noticed Costco's posting and supposedly they have a sign.  I'm not going to look very hard because if it isn't posted conspicuously enough for me to notice, it carries no weight of law.  I'm not going to go out of my way to remove my own plausible deniability.

VAGunnut there is no criminal activity implied in his statement; in WI ignoring posted buildings is not a crime and if it is noticed by the property owner it only rises to the level of trespass which is a civil matter.  Basically you have to leave if asked which is really no different than if there wasn't a sign.

It was a big "wink, wink" from the legislature that "concealed means concealed" IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've never noticed the Saukville theater to be posted.  Then again I've never noticed Costco's posting and supposedly they have a sign.  I'm not going to look very hard because if it isn't posted conspicuously enough for me to notice, it carries no weight of law.  I'm not going to go out of my way to remove my own plausible deniability.

VAGunnut there is no criminal activity implied in his statement; in WI ignoring posted buildings is not a crime and if it is noticed by the property owner it only rises to the level of trespass which is a civil matter.  Basically you have to leave if asked which is really no different than if there wasn't a sign.

It was a big "wink, wink" from the legislature that "concealed means concealed" IMHO.
View Quote

Costco doesn't anymore.  I was there last week and didn't notice a thing.  

Was hoping they would have my favorite beer (Duval) on sale, but it was not meant to be.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Marcus theaters are not posted. At least, they aren't supposed to be.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Was hoping they would have my favorite beer (Duval) on sale, but it was not meant to be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sign is about 15 feet off the ground.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Marcus theaters are not posted. At least, they aren't supposed to be.
View Quote

Yeah, I didn't see anything.  Thanks.  Renaissance in Racine.  

Saw that Alexander movie.  Kinda funny.  It's my Son's 14th B-Day today.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you're in violation of state law, then please don't post about it here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would imagine openly condoning violating state law would be a banning offense.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe some animals are more equal than others
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#16]
People have been banned from this site for openly abdicating violating the law before, but I can not say I have ever seen a site staff openly encouraging the activity while discouraging it at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not encouraging or advocating anything. A post was made, that people make all over the site. Since I wasn't sure if your signs carry the weight of law, I asked that people not promote illegal activities in case they did. I have since been notified via IM, that the signs in your state do carry that weight. This is almost a foreign concept to me, as this is not an issue in VA.

I consider most here to be adults, and they should be able to make up there own mind when it comes to how they conduct themselves in the real world. If people choose to ignore this law, just like any other law, they will pay the consequences if caught. I'm not required to convince others not to do something stupid.

What I do care about, is the CoC being followed, hence my original post. So, as my second post inferred. If you're going to violate the sign law, keep it to yourself and do not violate the rules here at the same time.

If you read that as supporting illegal activity, I'm not sure what to tell you.
View Quote

Word.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#19]
While boasting about such things really shouldn't be encouraged on a public forum, the way the law works here is the signs don't carry the weight of law anyway. If I remember correctly, there is a template 5x7 sign that must be posted at EVERY entrance for the property owner to make a stink about it, and then all they can do is ask you to leave.

Southride Mall for instance has a few signs posted on the main entrances but the store specific entrances as well as the smaller ones do not, therefore the property owner has not followed his or her requirement to instruct patrons on their wishes to keep people from carrying.

It was written in as a way to make those opposed feel like they have some say in all this, but they don't. It's about as important as a "no shoes no shirt no service" sign.

-Unless something has changed, that is...
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
While boasting about such things really shouldn't be encouraged on a public forum, the way the law works here is the signs don't carry the weight of law anyway. If I remember correctly, there is a template 5x7 sign that must be posted at EVERY entrance for the property owner to make a stink about it, and then all they can do is ask you to leave.

Southride Mall for instance has a few signs posted on the main entrances but the store specific entrances as well as the smaller ones do not, therefore the property owner has not followed his or her requirement to instruct patrons on their wishes to keep people from carrying.

It was written in as a way to make those opposed feel like they have some say in all this, but they don't. It's about as important as a "no shoes no shirt no service" sign.

View Quote

Incorrect. The signs do carry the weight of the law, as long as they are a minimum of 5"x7". There is no other requirement of how they need to look or what to say. You can also be asked to leave, and that has the force of law, although I would ask for a manager to confirm this. Otherwise, it's a trespassing charge.

A mall may post it's enterances, but individual stores do not have to, unless it's in their lease agreement. This is why many people enter through unposted stores. However, you can be asked to leave if you enter the mall proper and someone see's you are carrying.

ETA: you can use the "I didn't see a sign" defense if you truly came through an unposted store, but once you are asked to leave, you are obligated to do so.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Incorrect. The signs do carry the weight of the law, as long as they are a minimum of 5"x7". There is no other requirement of how they need to look or what to say. You can also be asked to leave, and that has the force of law, although I would ask for a manager to confirm this. Otherwise, it's a trespassing charge.

A mall may post it's enterances, but individual stores do not have to, unless it's in their lease agreement. This is why many people enter through unposted stores. However, you can be asked to leave if you enter the mall proper and someone see's you are carrying.

ETA: you can use the "I didn't see a sign" defense if you truly came through an unposted store, but once you are asked to leave, you are obligated to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In today's world of video surveillance of everything, you'd probably be on a camera somewhere when you came in. Not that anyone would check, as it's not like a major crime...but if you did come in an unposted entrance and you needed proof, it'd likely be there.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Again, it is not a crime, it is a civil matter.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Again, it is not a crime, it is a civil matter.
View Quote
In WI the penalty is a civil forfeiture and it falls under "trespass."

In the eyes of ARFcom, that's probably sufficient.

I'd just like to add, AMC theaters are all posted as well.

This is one of the reasons I don't go to movies anymore.  I probably see one every two years, and only if it's something special.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Just trying to avoid ambiguity.

In reality it doesn't matter, but the lawyers still like to pretend it does...
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Somebody in VA has too much time on there hands.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I see lots of places posted, but not in accordance to state law.
The only places I see posted legally are healthcare facilities.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Concealed means concealed, and I am undeterred by signs.  If someone ever did happen to catch me, and asked me to leave, I would simply thank them, and be on my way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top