Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 1:52:18 AM EDT
Namely up in the northwestern corner, which is the sole hunting spot I have because of people I know.

People in MN are thinking this year isn't going to be good
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Namely up in the northwestern corner, which is the sole hunting spot I have because of people I know.

People in MN are thinking this year isn't going to be good
View Quote

Kid near where I hunt got a buck that green scored 174 during the youth hunt. I've seen several does during bow. I think this year still be fine. Northern part might be hurting due to last winter, but there's no way to tell till you get into the woods.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#2]
This past weekend, two other guys and myself sat for three days near Crivitz. We didn't see any deer but the corn was still up and we are hoping they were just hanging out there. Guys near SE are seeing them in decent numbers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been seeing plenty down in the SW corner of the state.  Lots on camera too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Still kinda scarce in north-central area where I live & hunt (Vilas & Oneida). No doe tags whatsoever here.

OTOH, I have been seeing a few more young deer (1-2 yrs old) than I expected to see after last winter's record breaking numbers on the DNRs winter severity index that measures winter effect on deer. But nowhere near the deer numbers of 10 yrs ago. The turkeys seem to have coped with the bad winters of the last 2 years also. I've seen more turkey than deer so far this fall.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Clarkcountywhatdeer???

Does that count as one word?

I think Winter Kill in the northern half may be bad.

Will know in two weeks if numbers improve....
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much all of the deer in NW WI are dead.  Tell all of your MN friends that.  Dead as in the wolves ate them and winter kill got the rest.  They are gone.  Stay in MN.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pretty much all of the deer in NW WI are dead.  Tell all of your MN friends that.  Dead as in the wolves ate them and winter kill got the rest.  They are gone.  Stay in MN.
View Quote

No way I'm not going hunting and I actually have ties to the area, so I'm not a total carpet bagger
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No way I'm not going hunting and I actually have ties to the area, so I'm not a total carpet bagger
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know where you are hunting, but honestly, the deer numbers are depressingly low.  Lower than '70's low.  For the first time I found two wolf kill sites and with the last two hard ass winters the numbers are way way down.

Let me put it to you this way.  If I were paying what the DNR wants for an out of state license to hunt deer in WI, I would consider hunting elsewhere.  If you are hunting NW WI, anywhere near Polk county.

I hope this helps, and it is truly an honest opinion.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't know where you are hunting, but honestly, the deer numbers are depressingly low.  Lower than '70's low.  For the first time I found two wolf kill sites and with the last two hard ass winters the numbers are way way down.

Let me put it to you this way.  If I were paying what the DNR wants for an out of state license to hunt deer in WI, I would consider hunting elsewhere.  If you are hunting NW WI, anywhere near Polk county.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sucks. I'll be farther north around Hayward. It's worth it even for a small chance for me. I don't have any other place that I feel comfortable going to.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure why someone would want to come to wisconsin to deer hunt unless they had family here they wanted to hunt with.  The deer hunting is so much better in several other states.

Oh and the seeking phase has begun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:55:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not sure why someone would want to come to wisconsin to deer hunt unless they had family here they wanted to hunt with.  The deer hunting is so much better in several other states.

View Quote

Wisconsin has earned a rep for monster bucks. Check out the list for counties with the most P&Y entries. Wisconsin dominates the list. That being said, I've killed way more does in Ga than I've seen in Wi over the past 10 years. I've hunted both for around the same amount of time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Around Phillips I would say Turkey is the new Deer.

Since moving up here, all the deer hunters want me to take them down to the Midwest to deer hunt.  Where I do see deer, I see wolves too.  I don't see as many yearlings now as I did this time last year.  I don't see as many deer in general as last year.  I don't even see as many deer as I saw in May.  The winter kill is obvious beyond belief.  I see plenty of Turkeys that are too young/small to make it through this winter due to late hatching and lost nests.

Nobody is seeing anything on their properties, trail cams, fields or roads compared to last year and of course they tell me numbers are on a downward decline the past 10 years but this year is the worst.

IMHO, this year will be real hunting, not just playing sniper on opening morning.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wisconsin has earned a rep for monster bucks. Check out the list for counties with the most P&Y entries. Wisconsin dominates the list. That being said, I've killed way more does in Ga than I've seen in Wi over the past 10 years. I've hunted both for around the same amount of time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most likely because wisconsin has a crap load of deer hunters. The grain belt states have bigger bucks, more places to hunt,  and less deer hunters.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Fortunately, we have a pool table, card table, thousands of records / CD's and a keg on tap at deer camp.  I haven't had a deer cross my stand in 2 years, but I still have a great time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Fortunately, we have a pool table, card table, thousands of records / CD's and a keg on tap at deer camp.  I haven't had a deer cross my stand in 2 years, but I still have a great time.
View Quote

This is also the other reason why I'm going no matter what
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I go deer hunting for deer camp.  Not for deer.  I think we may go duck hunting this year instead.  If the ponds aren't frozen over.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I go deer hunting for deer camp.  Not for deer.  I think we may go duck hunting this year instead.  If the ponds aren't frozen over.
View Quote

Duck season ends on Tuesday of gun deer season. If there's any ducks around, and unfrozen water to hunt them, I'll be hunting ducks instead of deer on opening weekend of deer. I can hunt deer Wednesday thru end of muzzie season.

eta: if the weatherman is correct, by the middle of next week all the lakes in my area will be frozen, so I'll be putting the boat, decoys, camo & shotguns away, and grabbing the blaze & rifles. Don't get me wrong... I love deer hunting... but not quite as much as duck hunting.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#18]
During the Disabled Hunt, I went to Marion, in Shawano County.
We had about 3000 acres open to us and there were 12 hunters.
Everybody got a deer, as the area is crawling with does.
I took a 11 pointer at 100 yards with my AR chambered in .450 Bushmaster.

ckmorley
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ckmorley
View Quote

I'll be carrying the same gun this year, for the 1st time.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ckmorley

It's a great caliber. The buck collapsed and didn't move at all :-)

ckmorley
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my .50 Beowulf for whitetail.  The big bore ARs are fun to take in the woods.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Barron County, usually I've seen 50+ deer on my property by this time of the year. Saw my first buck, 6 pointer, this morning. No idea where they are. Corn is out, so not that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Not much to bee seen in Algoma where I hunt with a friend on his property.  

My stand is in the middle of some pretty thick brush, so my Win 94 44Mag takes care of business pretty well.  Farthest shot from my stand is about 75 yards.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I love my .50 Beowulf for whitetail.  The big bore ARs are fun to take in the woods.
View Quote

I'd love to pick up one of the big bores, but am already 4 calibers deep in black rifle disease.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#25]
You would not regret it.  It is by far my favorite AR to shoot.  You really need to be a reloader to get the most out of it, but it is worth it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like the Rut is starting, or will be soon. I'm going up this weekend, hope to bag a monster.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You would not regret it.  It is by far my favorite AR to shoot.  You really need to be a reloader to get the most out of it, but it is worth it.
View Quote

Accuracy is flat-out amazing too. I recently sighted in a new scope on my .450 (Primary Arms 1-4X24). Started at 25yds, in a Lead Sled Solo on a bench... after dialing it in, 3 shots go in the same hole. But.... it's only 25yds I tell myself. Move to the 50yd range. After dialing it in there after 1st shot a little high & right, next 4 go through same ragged hole. Wow. Move to 100yds. No "dialing in" necessary... 4 out of 5 are overlapping holes. Holy shit.

Btw.... Caldwell  Lead Sled Solo on sale at Menards right now for $49.99.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Accuracy is flat-out amazing too. I recently sighted in a new scope on my .450 (Primary Arms 1-4X24). Started at 25yds, in a Lead Sled Solo on a bench... after dialing it in, 3 shots go in the same hole. But.... it's only 25yds I tell myself. Move to the 50yd range. After dialing it in there after 1st shot a little high & right, next 4 go through same ragged hole. Wow. Move to 100yds. No "dialing in" necessary... 4 out of 5 are overlapping holes. Holy shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  My groups at 100 are generally one ragged hole.  At 200 they open up a little but not that much.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#29]
we got a herd of them sonsofbitches in our yard already this year buck just rubbed the shit outta my two new Mountain Ash trees killed em both
I'm about ready to chase him down and stick a boar speer in him
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
we got a herd of them sonsofbitches in our yard already this year buck just rubbed the shit outta my two new Mountain Ash trees killed em both
I'm about ready to chase him down and stick a boar speer in him
View Quote

Post video if you do!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#31]
DNR says northern deer herd is down 40-50% due to harshest winter on record, wolf and bear predation. We are in Iron Co and there aren't many deer around there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#32]
AAR from the sight-in clinic this year at WBBSC.  Attendance was on par with last year at about 830 people over the four days.  Since WI has (thankfully) gone rifle-legal statewide, we're seeing more and more rifles with better and better shooting.  Most of the shotguns we're seeing at this point are "backups" rather than primaries.  Plenty of young men and ladies coming through, and only one problem I wasn't able to coach the shooter through (trigger finger placement was causing significant horizontal stringing); hopefully he will take my advice and work it out wtth dry practice and we'll see him back out next year shooting cloverleaf patterns.  30-06 remains the most popular cartridge, followed by 270, followed rather distantly by .308 and 30-30, with a few .243/.223 and the odd sooper-dooper magnum.  The majority of the shotguns are using sabots but we still saw a few slugs.

Morale seemed okay but a lot of those kids are itching to even see their first deer after a few years out already.

Anyone planning on taking part in the extended doe hunt down here in the SE part of the state?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I was in my stand yesterday checking things out, and a MASSIVE 8 pointer walked right under me. Hopefully he stays on the property.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was in my stand yesterday checking things out, and a MASSIVE 8 pointer walked right under me. Hopefully he stays on the property.
View Quote

Daytime? Probably chasing or seeking does. If you've got does on your land and can keep them there, with food plots or baiting, he might stick around.

It's November, so he'll go where the poontang goes, and not to burst your bubble, but he can be miles away by now. If your neighbors are attracting them off your land with bait, you either fight fire with fire and bring them back, or hope he gets spooked back when the SHTF Saturday morning, and you get lucky.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#35]
PSA: Turns out deer love spent grain from homebrewing.  Go brew some beer this weekend, toss the spent grist in a pile 50 yards from your stand while still warm, and you'll get a buck.  Promise.

Plus they won't be able to smell you through the malty goodness!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
PSA: Turns out deer love spent grain from homebrewing.  Go brew some beer this weekend, toss the spent grist in a pile 50 yards from your stand while still warm, and you'll get a buck.  Promise.

Plus they won't be able to smell you through the malty goodness!
View Quote

And the DNR will promptly show up and love you anally.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#37]
LOL is that a thing?  Jesus Tittyfucking Christ you hunters put up with a lot of bullshit.

Reflect on the absurdity here: I'm going to go kill something and eat it, and generations of retards have stacked up esoteric legal considerations so fucking deep that I can't see over the pile from a treestand.

And anyone wonders why the kids want to stay home and play videogames?

Maybe I'll hold off again this year and go get this graphic from the Hunter Safety course made into a T-Shirt:

OK just looked it up and evidently North of Highway 10 you could throw a pile out, but South of Highway 10 I need to smear it on a nearby tree and call it a scent lure?  At least a communicable disease gives (or gave) a rational basis for that particular rule.  Still odd to pretend the universe gives a fuck how I attract and kill prey.

Whatever - I guess I characterize my attitude towards the whole thing as "ambivalent" anyways; I just have a few days of "use it or lose it" vacation to burn.

Best of luck to everyone and have a safe hunt.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

LOL is that a thing?  Jesus Tittyfucking Christ you hunters put up with a lot of bullshit.

Reflect on the absurdity here: I'm going to go kill something and eat it, and generations of retards have stacked up esoteric legal considerations so fucking deep that I can't see over the pile from a treestand.

Maybe I'll hold off again this year and go get this graphic from the Hunter Safety course made into a T-Shirt:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qAjLWnxZ3sI/VG9BLaLdRrI/AAAAAAAAA50/lXqIjEiVi4M/s1600/clip_image002.jpg

OK just looked it up and evidently North of Highway 10 you could throw a pile out, but South of Highway 10 I need to smear it on a nearby tree and call it a scent lure?  At least a communicable disease gives (or gave) a rational basis for that particular rule.  Still odd to pretend the universe gives a fuck how I attract and kill prey.

Whatever - I guess I characterize my attitude towards the whole thing as "ambivalent" anyways; I just have a few days of "use it or lose it" vacation to burn.

View Quote
The truck bed looks empty. Fail.lol

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qAjLWnxZ3sI/VG9BLaLdRrI/AAAAAAAAA50/lXqIjEiVi4M/s1600/clip_image002.jpg

Well it is a chevy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Serious question:  I am not altogether comfortable with just a blaze orange vest and hat, but I really don't want to go out and spend a ton of money for colored shit to put over my high-end softshell and hardshell outerwear (so I need color as the only function) to get full sleeve coverage as well.  Shit, this might be the only time I ever go hunting (we'll see if I vomit, pass out, or vomit and subsequently pass out during the field dressing phase if it gets that far - I never did well with dissections).

Does anyone know of a Milwaukee area vendor that sells some kind of cheap breathable shell in blaze orange for tossing on over my normal outerwear and possibly under a chest rig?  I figure I can wrap the vest around my hydration carrier to keep well over 50% visible (and not just for compliance - fuck the law I've seen hunters handling guns at sight in clinic for years now - if I get muzzled that often in a controlled environment I can't imagine how often it happens when the safety Nazis aren't around!).  Fleet Farm and Cabelas were a bust as I'd need to drop $75+ on the closest thing to what I want.

All my gear is meant to not stand out so this is a departure from anything I've ever sought out for purchase.  I'm getting "mentored" by a few guys from work so I know they'll have some extra gear but I don't wanna be a mooch - they're already taking precious time out of their few days of hunting this year to help me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Serious question:  I am not altogether comfortable with just a blaze orange vest and hat, but I really don't want to go out and spend a ton of money for colored shit to put over my high-end softshell and hardshell outerwear (so I need color as the only function) to get full sleeve coverage as well.  Shit, this might be the only time I ever go hunting (we'll see if I vomit, pass out, or vomit and subsequently pass out during the field dressing phase if it gets that far - I never did well with dissections).

Does anyone know of a Milwaukee area vendor that sells some kind of cheap breathable shell in blaze orange for tossing on over my normal outerwear and possibly under a chest rig?  I figure I can wrap the vest around my hydration carrier to keep well over 50% visible (and not just for compliance - fuck the law I've seen hunters handling guns at sight in clinic for years now - if I get muzzled that often in a controlled environment I can't imagine how often it happens when the safety Nazis aren't around!).  Fleet Farm and Cabelas were a bust as I'd need to drop $75+ on the closest thing to what I want.

All my gear is meant to not stand out so this is a departure from anything I've ever sought out for purchase.  I'm getting "mentored" by a few guys from work so I know they'll have some extra gear but I don't wanna be a mooch - they're already taking precious time out of their few days of hunting this year to help me.
View Quote

Check Fleet Farm out... They already had their blaze on sale last week wednesday.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Farm and Fleet, et. al. sell a hooded type sweater with front zipper.  The cheaper ($25) won't have a "thingy" for your back tag.  I just pushed the pin through the fabric.  Later, as the holes started to tear (years), I hot melt glued orange felt around the holes.  100% polyester = little water retention.  Handy in drizzle.

What makes this a nice arrangement is that you can buy a larger size and put it on over a normal coat.  Not only more coverage than the vest, but deer goo will get on it instead of your "good" coat.  

It also helps to have blaze orange underneath in case you want to remove your coat for whatever reason (dressing or just to hot).  

Cons, probably only hand warmer pockets.  I moved on to 100% blaze by haunting Gander Mountain(s) for sales.  After about 5 years or so, I did acquire nice, water resistant, stuff.

Don't forget a blaze orange hat.  Hoods make noise when you move your head.  I have nice watch cap with a thin face mask hidden inside.  I like to keep my face warm, but masks deflect your breath onto your glasses.  

A good Elmer Fud had with ear flaps and a brim will keep the sun out of your eyes, but will bang into the scope when you go to shoot.    Also, try to get buckles or stringed ones.  Velcro catches on other clothing and makes noise every time you turn your head.  It also irritates the skin.  I've wrapped mine in a little piece of felt.  The extra bits of velcro hook catches on that and moves with my head.  No irritation or noise.

Hope that helped, Tony  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#43]
I saw the polyester units at FF but they looked like they'd soak up water.  If you say they are GTG I'll try one out, though.  Softshells are good at shedding water but not meant for a downpour or having water held next to them as they will wick after a period of time.

All my gear has been through classes so I'm not worried about a little blood...
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Got out yesterday and today.  Didn't see any deer but there are a metric fuckton of them in the southern kettle moraine area (we counted between 12-15 discrete tracks in our small area plus one big buck according to the guy I was with.  It had the spots in back of the hoof prints that were around the size of a quarter each in the fresh snow)- hunting partner saw two today when... some clownshoes group of guys came through late this morning flushing deer at full sprint and then the posted guys tried to hit them at full run, doing mag dumps.  Maybe I'm not privy to the whole culture thing but flushing animals the size of deer across a busy highway (Hwy 28) is a dick move.  No way they had any kind of fucking target isolation with that shooting.  Reminded me why I didn't want to go on public land.  Decided it was time to get out; I know where a bunch of the deer are but they aren't budging and I wasn't going in after them in that brambly shit.  I thought we might see them go for water when it warmed up but I didn't want to wait out the large group.  Missed my ambush this morning by a short while - one cheeky little fucker walked right through the spot I was going to set up and the other two walked about ten feet around either side.  Tracks were very fresh. Oh, well.  Next time I won't wait for the coffee to brew so I can be on the trigger the second my GPS shows the time is good.

All in all I couldn't have asked for a better first time out, and if I had gotten out a little earlier today I would've at least seen those three.  It was nice having the place to ourselves Tuesday so I could get acquainted with the experience

Might go into the Cedarburg Bog sometime, but I will likely wait until the bonus antlerless hunt in a few weeks and go middle of the week again when I can have a wide berth.

Honestly a little relieved I didn't have to drag a carcass out of some of that swampy shit.  At least at that point you can stop worrying about making noise.

Speaking of which, does anyone else feel 20 feet tall and 10K pounds lumbering through a dead silent woods?  I felt like every animal for miles knew I was there until I posted up and got small and silent behind the gun.  Then the birds would come back in and other critters would start making noise again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top