Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 11:35:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Im saying that the chances are slim to non... I personally think it's run it's course! Speaking for myself it's just a lot fit the guys woho organized it to do any more.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im saying that the chances are slim to non... I personally think it's run it's course! Speaking for myself it's just a lot fit the guys woho organized it to do any more.
View Quote

You drunk?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You drunk?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:35:27 AM EDT
[#5]
It would be nice to still have an annual WI HTF shoot.  We seemed to have alot of fun during the early years when it was not so intense for everyone  involved. 2009 (pre-Roasted Nutz) at Shiocton,  2010 1st RN (Shiocton) and  2011 1st year at Shawano.    A big food spread and alot of prizes are nice but not necessary for a fun event.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#6]

No i shouldn't try and post from my damn phone!!

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I really enjoyed the last one I was able to make it to (RN4) it seemed this year that a lot of people had prior plans that fell on the same date, including myself. I would like to see one HTF shoot a year.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I think the low turnout this year was because of lack of events and prizes.

Frankly, I'm happy with the way RN5 went. Fun to try 3-gun. Would have loved to try it several times.

Open shooting the rest of the time, although my usual refrain is we need more targets and shorter hot range periods for setup again. Perhaps if more people brought targets, keeping in mind they'd be considered expendable, it would help. Reactive targets that is. Steel is fun to shoot, but once it's down, it's down.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Couple things.

Turnout at RN5 was low, we went from 125-150 attendees to maybe 20. That being said, it was a lot more fun. The people that came, came for the comradery and not for prizes and free food. It was a little eye opening.  When Mike and I took the reins from Hawz we dreamed big!! RN3 and RN4 were huge and for a short while we thought it would be the way to go.

Last year for RN5, the response from vendors was almost non existent. As the main point of contact for donations the biggest complaint I heard was lack of response from RN3 and RN4 and I think that turned vendors off for RN5. There were more issues with RN5 than just vendors though. It takes a team of 5 or 6 to make the event come together like it did for RN3 and RN4 and personal lives, work schedules, and prior commitments, easily get in the way.

Will, RN6 happen? Most likely yes. Where will it happen? I hope Shawano, but I'm not the one to answer that, as I'm not involved with the range directly.

Will there be 3 tables full of shit to give away?? Nope!! Personally, I think keeping it limited to Wisconsin industry only makes it more meaningful. Keeping prize counts low means the people that do show are there to hang out with friends which makes the shoot more fun.

I guess at this point there's no real answer to give, other than to say, keep and ear to the ground, if it happens you'll hear rumors.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, technically they didn't cancel RN5, just the formal events like dueling tree, poker shoot, etc. It was just going to be open shooting like RN's of the past.
Then they added back this informal, training-both-sides 3 gun event..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Well, technically they didn't cancel RN5, just the formal events like dueling tree, poker shoot, etc. It was just going to be open shooting like RN's of the past.

Quoted:

Frankly, I'm happy with the way RN5 went. Fun to try 3-gun. Would have loved to try it several times. .

My perception is that the low turn-out is because it WAS cancelled.  The reality is that it was cancelled and then decided to have an informal shoot kind of as an afterthought.  Obviously, we are not going to get 2012 or 2013 numbers without the food and prizes, but that is 100% OK.  It does not need to be that big to have fun.  I believe the issue last year was the lack of any formal updates until nearly the first of June when the cancellation was announced.  There was no further official update mentioning the 3-gun, etc for 5 more weeks which was 2 weeks before the actual event.  
If we start where we are now going forward with the expectation that there will be a "fun" shoot for 2015, I believe that we will have more momentum for a RN6 shoot and attendance will easily be much larger than RN5.   If people have clear reasonable expectations and early notice, they will come.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Are you volunteering to take the reins IK?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I can check tonight if you want a half decent answer from Shawano's perspective, I'm headed there anyway. There might (again, I'll check) be an informal shoot but I sincerely doubt we're going to run a big one like 3 or 4.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are you volunteering to take the reins IK?
View Quote

Perhaps you did not read my post...   My main point of feedback was in regards to communication and that is all. The small group of people organizing and running the event always have none a great job from day 1.  Collin and others probably lost money on food, etc some years and I know he and others spent untold hours working on cooking and preparing  the food and general event to make it the complete success of a fun event that it was.  
I am painfully aware of how a work schedule and personal life can get in the way of things.  I have never spoken negatively in regards to how the event was "run".  I have always been impressed with it.  We went from 20-30 people to 150ish in just a couple of years.  Nobody ever walked away hungry and I think everyone always enjoyed themselves and was eager for the next year's event.  

My offer has always been a standing one to help wherever I can.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My perception is that the low turn-out is because it WAS cancelled.  The reality is that it was cancelled and then decided to have an informal shoot kind of as an afterthought.  Obviously, we are not going to get 2012 or 2013 numbers without the food and prizes, but that is 100% OK.  It does not need to be that big to have fun.  I believe the issue last year was the lack of any formal updates until nearly the first of June when the cancellation was announced.  There was no further official update mentioning the 3-gun, etc for 5 more weeks which was 2 weeks before the actual event.  
If we start where we are now going forward with the expectation that there will be a "fun" shoot for 2015, I believe that we will have more momentum for a RN6 shoot and attendance will easily be much larger than RN5.   If people have clear reasonable expectations and early notice, they will come.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Frankly, I'm happy with the way RN5 went. Fun to try 3-gun. Would have loved to try it several times. .

I agree.  We had 9-10 people ready to go, but we were not going to drive 2 hours each way for an informal shoot with no expectation of organization.  We can shoot where we live.  If people have some reasonable expectation of attendance, organization and such, people will attend.  The prizes were great, but we showed up to shoot.  Charge us $20 for the day, have some events for pride and fun.  If someone wants to cook and sell food or include $10 towards food and drinks....fine.  It is great to shoot new and different guns and talk to people.....so keep it simple if that's what's needed.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I enjoy the shooting aspect, simply because opportunities for rapid fire and long distance (over 100 yards) shooting, plus anything besides paper targets, is a big plus.

Plus it's a chance to get away for a weekend.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I personally had thought it was cancelled and made plans otherwise I would have came. I didn't realize or maybe not see the updates about the 3 gun shoot until I already had plans I couldn't get out of. 3 gun would have been fun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My perception is that the low turn-out is because it WAS cancelled.  The reality is that it was cancelled and then decided to have an informal shoot kind of as an afterthought.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My perception is that the low turn-out is because it WAS cancelled.  The reality is that it was cancelled and then decided to have an informal shoot kind of as an afterthought.    

That's not completely accurate. What we announced was that the formal shoot was cancelled and an informal shoot would be held in it's place. I can see where the confusion came from. Behind the scenes we were discussing either canceling the shoot all together or just holding a smaller scale shoot. We decided not to cancel and just hold the small scale shoot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's not completely accurate. What we announced was that the formal shoot was cancelled and an informal shoot would be held in it's place. I can see where the confusion came from. Behind the scenes we were discussing....
View Quote

My perception was shared by others since all discussion was held "Behind the scenes"..
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I have no idea if there will be an RN6....

I do know that I will not be able to participate in the planning of a RN shoot in any significant way, if at all.  Too much on my plate these days and the 12-hour swing shift lifestyle just does not support that kind of commitment.  If there is a RN6 shoot it will most likely be a very informal get together like it ended up being for RN5.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You work at a factory too eh?

Bemis, Oshkosh north plant for me and it sucks royally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do know that I will not be able to participate in the planning of a RN shoot in any significant way, if at all.  Too much on my plate these days and the 12-hour swing shift lifestyle just does not support that kind of commitment.  If there is a RN6 shoot it will most likely be a very informal get together like it ended up being for RN5.

You work at a factory too eh?

Bemis, Oshkosh north plant for me and it sucks royally.

LOL....Bemis, Oshkosh south campus, BSF rewind.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#24]
RN 3 and 4 were great, however, shooting shoulder to shoulder eating hot brass for some was not that fun.  RN 3 was, I believe, Shawano's capacity. With an event any bigger there would not have  been room to shoot.  That being said, with that many shooters Safety Officers are a must, finding people willing to watch others and not shoot is a hard thing to do.  I am proud of the shoots we have had in the past, and have had a great time at them, however bigger is not always better.  Last year with the small shoot that we had it was great to visit and shoot with everyone.  
    The 3-gun stage went off without a hitch and everyone had a great time shooting it.  Running a stage like that again next year is something we will be looking at.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Since RN3 I've been the point of contact for vendors and donations. I don't have the time nor the desire to take on any more than that. I do, however, have the ability to produce custom one off lowers now and plan to donate 1 RN themed lower for each up coming shoot. I also still have many contacts for vendors, but instead of going nation wide to all the big names, I'd like to maintain a "Wisconsin Industry only" theme. We have some major players in our state and they've been more than happy to donate to our shoot. I think they deserve the stage. Midwest comes to mind as they've gone above and beyond to support RN in the past, I have a close relationship with American Defense Manufacturing, and they look forward to not only donating but participating in the shoot every year. I also have contacts with WI based ammo remanufacturers who are interested, a target manufacturer who would be on board, as well as a handful of others. I'd expect prizes to be on a much smaller scale (don't expect anymore complete rifles) as the comradery should be the main focus, but I can see this happening again for RN6, with the 3 gun stage and maybe a dueling tree competition or two.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Since RN3 I've been the point of contact for vendors and donations. I don't have the time nor the desire to take on any more than that. I do, however, have the ability to produce custom one off lowers now and plan to donate 1 RN themed lower for each up coming shoot. I also still have many contacts for vendors, but instead of going nation wide to all the big names, I'd like to maintain a "Wisconsin Industry only" theme. We have some major players in our state and they've been more than happy to donate to our shoot. I think they deserve the stage. Midwest comes to mind as they've gone above and beyond to support RN in the past, I have a close relationship with American Defense Manufacturing, and they look forward to not only donating but participating in the shoot every year. I also have contacts with WI based ammo remanufacturers who are interested, a target manufacturer who would be on board, as well as a handful of others. I'd expect prizes to be on a much smaller scale (don't expect anymore complete rifles) as the comradery should be the main focus, but I can see this happening again for RN6, with the 3 gun stage and maybe a dueling tree competition or two.
View Quote

RN4 was great for us. We were able to talk to a lot of the WI-HTF guys and show off our products to them. We were hoping to demo some of our new Carbines at RN5, but it was scaled down to an informal shoot. We are looking forward to RN6 next year.

-American Defense Manufacturing

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top