Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2014 10:14:19 AM EDT
How do I determine my area's chief law enforcement officer?  I want to get a NFA item, so would need the CLEO to sign off.   I live in city of Neenah, county of Winnebago.  And does anyone have experience with those CLEO's........will they sign for NFA items?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
You can go the trust route and not have to go through your Sheriff or police chief.
There are advantages going the trust route over a LEO sign off.

Anyways, here's your county sheriff:
Winnebago Sheriff's link

And your police chief:
Neenah police dept. link

Good luck!

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You can also try circuit (not municipal) court judges and the district attorneys if the Sheriff and Chief don't pan out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's an MG, you'll also need an authorization letter ( thanks JB VanHollen) - at least that was the game a year or two ago.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's an MG, you'll also need an authorization letter ( thanks JB VanHollen) - at least that was the game a year or two ago.

View Quote

Geez!
What a clusterfuck!
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can also try circuit (not municipal) court judges and the district attorneys if the Sheriff and Chief don't pan out.
View Quote

DA or an assistant DA I wonder?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard assistant DA before, but I know that somewhere I saw a list that ATF sent out to someone as a "here, exhaust these options then get back to us" thing.  No idea where that went.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't mean to derail the thread (although it appears the OP got his answer) but I have a question on proof of eligibility for the CLEO who signs my forms.

First can I got I was still living with the folks while in college, did it as an individual as I knew the police chief. I since moved but not too far, also have a trust set up. That original police chief is no longer MY CLEO so I was wondering on what I would have to do to prove some sort of dual residency with my folks place in order for him to be able to sign for me again. I have a key to the place and property stored there, if that means anything?

I'm wondering in case that new law passes and we all need signatures on our forms, even for trusts (which I hope doesn't happen but, you know...).
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#8]
The signor must be a CLEO of an organization having jurisdiction WHERE YOU RESIDE.  If you live with your parents, then fine.  If you do not, then that chief cannot sign.  As much as I hate this shit, my advice is "don't get cute."

"But Your Honor, I have dual residency with my parents!" is not likely to fly.  Then again, by the time it comes to that (the ATF is looking into you for which CLEO you had sign) you are going to prison for something, so...

I think if 41P goes through there is going to be a LOT of civil disobedience but I don't think anyone wants to be found out in their shenanigans...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top