Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2014 1:21:45 PM EDT
Can anyone chime in if they know about any Jefferson, Waukesha, or Walworth counties have shotgun only gun season rules or if rifles are allowed etc.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try calling the Sheriff in each county. DNR regulations still say check with local government agencies. I ended up sending an email last year to the Washington Country Sheriff and they actually had a point of contact for those questions and was able to get me the information I needed. Some towns had shotgun only ordinances in place and Im sure more towns have either changed to restrict rifle or removed the restriction because they didnt have enough time last year before the hunting season.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Shotgun parts of the state alow handgun as well.
AR pistol = win
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not aware of any counties restricting rifle hunting. Some local townships, etc. such as the Town of Washington (Washington Island, etc) have chosen to do so.  I suggest that we use this thread to list known restricted municipalities.

Town of Washington
Village of Germantown
Town of Addison
Mequon
Town of Addison
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Town of Waukesha has a no centerfire rifle ordinance

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Do any of these ordinances identify subsets of rifles as prohibited?  That is to say, are these crafted well enough to preclude the use of short barreled rifles or would they fall outside the definition of "centerfire rifle" in context?

Just a curiosity.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do any of these ordinances identify subsets of rifles as prohibited?  That is to say, are these crafted well enough to preclude the use of short barreled rifles or would they fall outside the definition of "centerfire rifle" in context?

Just a curiosity.
View Quote

No because there is no need to.
There is no need to identify a subset since Wisconsin Statute defines Short Barreled Rifle as a "Rifle"  whose barrel is less than 16".  It is still a rifle, so it is still prohibited.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks - I was going to be hunting this year but ended up pushing it off again.  One of these years...  
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
When the rifle restriction was lifted statewide, those of us that worked on making it happen in various locals did meet with certain local "officials" who were very much against the rifle becoming legal statewide. Of course when they were showed the Lehigh Valley Study completed by the Picatinny Arsenal, they were in denial as old myths diehard. The study proved that shotguns were no "safer" than rifles and in some instances were considered a greater hazard than rifles.

The "anti" rifle officials vowed to not let it happen in their jurisdictions, and much to their dismay were basically turned down flat from any help by the conservation wardens in enforcing proposed local ordnances.
So unless they have a constable or can get village, city or county LE to chase after the "dangerous rifle using deer hunters" they have enacted an unenforceable ordnance in their locales. This doesn't mean these "laws" are illegal, but they won't be enforced by the wardens from what I understood as the statewide law reads that rifles are legal statewide. Again YMMV
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it's a township ordenence and not a county one so who is going to issue you a ticket?  Most townships only have a constible, I would think the odds of being caught and cited would be so minimal that I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it's a township ordenence and not a county one so who is going to issue you a ticket?  Most townships only have a constible, I would think the odds of being caught and cited would be so minimal that I wouldn't worry about it.
View Quote

It would be the county Sheriff who would in force those ordinances for those townships that's why I suggested calling that counties Sheriff's department. I hunt around Kewauskum area and not a lot of the people up there switched to rifle. I looked out of place with my AR in 6.8. If someone wanted to be an ass they could have called me in even though I was legal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top