Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2014 10:36:08 AM EDT
I've been living in WI for a year now (in St Croix County, western WI) and hunted last year on my property where I live (small 10 acre partially wooded lot up against a few hundred acres of corn fields). I have not been seeing many deer signs this year and was thinking of hunting the Cylon Wildlife Area, ~2,300 acre state owned land that is maybe 10 minutes from my home. Does anyone bow hunt there? If so, how is it in Sep and October? Are there tons of bow hunters there?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Cylon gets hit pretty damn hard by all kinds of hunters.  I don't think it would be a good bowhunting location.  There are tons of small acreage public areas in St Croix, Polk and Dunn that aren't far from you.  

If you do start asking permission to hunt, make sure to wear you Viking jersey and try to drive a car with MN plates.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cylon gets hit pretty damn hard by all kinds of hunters.  I don't think it would be a good bowhunting location.  There are tons of small acreage public areas in St Croix, Polk and Dunn that aren't far from you.  

If you do start asking permission to hunt, make sure to wear you Viking jersey and try to drive a car with MN plates.  
View Quote

What is the best way to go about finding these? I searched the DNR site and located the State Parks (most of which don't open to bow hunting until about a week or so before the November firearm opener), as well as the state and federal forest (none of which are remotely close to me), and the state wildlife areas (of which Cylon is the closest).

And yeah, I think Minnesota might just annex western WI in the coming years due to how many Minnesotans live here and commute across the river to work in MN.

Edited to add: last November I hunted Willow River State Park in the week or so before the firearm opener (when it opens to bow hunting). Good amount of deer there. I never saw another bow hunter, nor any other hunters in the parking lot and I was there probably 5-6 times before the firearm opener. But the first day of firearm opener the parking lot was full and the place looked like an orange tree. You couldn't walk 10' without stepping on another hunter.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What is the best way to go about finding these? I searched the DNR site and located the State Parks (most of which don't open to bow hunting until about a week or so before the November firearm opener), as well as the state and federal forest (none of which are remotely close to me), and the state wildlife areas (of which Cylon is the closest).

And yeah, I think Minnesota might just annex western WI in the coming years due to how many Minnesotans live here and commute across the river to work in MN.

Edited to add: last November I hunted Willow River State Park in the week or so before the firearm opener (when it opens to bow hunting). Good amount of deer there. I never saw another bow hunter, nor any other hunters in the parking lot and I was there probably 5-6 times before the firearm opener. But the first day of firearm opener the parking lot was full and the place looked like an orange tree. You couldn't walk 10' without stepping on another hunter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know you that well, and you are still clinging to your Minnesotaness far too much for me to be comfortable giving away all of the secrets of a local hunter.

That being said, google is your friend.  Look up ST CROIX COUNTY MAPS.  Then look for the interactive mapping.  

The other way.  Get out of your suburb of the Twin Cities and drive around.  It's called scouting.  In the last month I have found 3 more public hunting areas in St Croix county by driving around.  I rarely use them, since I hunt mainly private land, but for people who need public land, it is there, you just have to find it.

And lastly, Plat Books.  There are plat books for each county.  They are also online.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't know you that well, and you are still clinging to your Minnesotaness far too much for me to be comfortable giving away all of the secrets of a local hunter.

That being said, google is your friend.  Look up ST CROIX COUNTY MAPS.  Then look for the interactive mapping.  

The other way.  Get out of your suburb of the Twin Cities and drive around.  It's called scouting.  In the last month I have found 3 more public hunting areas in St Croix county by driving around.  I rarely use them, since I hunt mainly private land, but for people who need public land, it is there, you just have to find it.

And lastly, Plat Books.  There are plat books for each county.  They are also online.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey now them is fighting words! I only lived in MN for six years, and never really did fit in (apparently I was way to conservative for most Minnesotans). I made that joke to one of my professors last night (about how so many people live in Western Wisconsin but work in Minnesota so Minnesota should just annex Hudson and other parts of western WI), and she said "God no!! You guys across the river are just to conservative for us Minnesotans!"
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top