Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 10:24:26 AM EDT
About to take delivery of a new vehicle.
Are there any undercoating / rust prevention treatments that work?
Line-X or something?

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Best rust prevention is whats applied at the factory. Undercoating can and usually does plug the factory drain holes in rockers. Some vehicles are just prone to rust due to piss poor design, ie gm ext cabs rockers because of them not making the drains large enough and they get clogged quick.

Seen people linex the rockers on 4x4s for rock protection. My truck was "rustproofed" by the previous owner and yet the rockers are going 3 yrs later.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Undersoating went the way of the DoDo bird about 30 years ago.  Don't mess with it or worry about it, just enjoy your new vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Motor oil then a trip down a gravel road.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:57:28 AM EDT
[#4]
best rust prevention is to wash off your vehicle after every salting. dry salt is ok, but the wet shit that gets everywhere is what kills vehicles.
if you want your shit to last this is the only thing that will help
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:53:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I use drain oil and pump into the doors, fenders rockers and over the wheel wells. Under body gets a mix of Rust Free and about 15 % oil. This dilutes the Rust Free so I can spray it through my undercoating gun. This gets done spring and fall.

The reason your rockers are rusting out is the galvanize gets burned off the metal during welding in the manufacture process. Nobody has enough brains to undercoat these hard to get to salt traps so they rust. Plus all the rock chips. Those darn mudflaps are "SO" expensive.

Your just fooling yourself if you think your new ride will last without undercoating. Look at all the nice rusted junk driving around. The metal is getting thinner to save manufacture cost and weight. Now the best part is filling the body cavities with foam to make the cars quiet. Just another moisture/salt trap and now you can't undercoat the areas. Makes me want to run right out and drop 30-50 grand on a new ride.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Linseed oil seals metal very well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#7]
some dealers still offer it. They will also spray inside the doors and rockers with rust proofing.

I was lucky enough to have a buddy who does it for a living, it was free, and worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#8]
When you have your vehicle washed, make sure take it to a car wash that uses FRESH water. I hear some car washes filter out the dirt, and reuse that water. That filtered water still contains all the salt from the previous cars. The filters can remove the dirt, but NONE of the salt!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top