Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2014 2:52:30 AM EDT
I just picked up a 74 Suzuki GT750 "Water Buffalo".  It needs a bit of work. The motor is tired and needs a rebuilt and I want to do a few custom touches. But it is one that I wanted since high school. There is just something about a liquid cooled two stroke triple that was destined for more than snow. Anyone know  a good engine builder?

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a great find! I've wanted one for the longest time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Very nice.  It's fun getting old enough to know what we want.

First bike? Ridden before?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
This is number 5 in the stable. Its joining a 02 Honda VFR800, 89 Kawasaki KDX200 enduro, 89 Yamaha YSR50 moped, and a Blata 2.5 Pocket Bike. (In descending size). Despite the number of bikes I never seem to have enough time to ride them. In fact the Honda is the only one that has seen the road this year.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice bike . My Dad bought one new in 74. his was orange metallic. Very quick.
Have you checked the compression on it ? they smoke abit ,sometimes but thats not always a bad thing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I traded my Sportster one weekend to a high school bud who had one of those.......one screaming bike....
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I have to buy a compression tester. If I hold my hand in front of the tail pipe from the middle cylinder it feels like there is less pressure coming out. I just haven't been able to find what the compression should be at. I've just started tracking down parts and also e-mailed the guys at Retro Speed for a estimate on a rebuild. Right now it looks like parts are in short supply and this is going to be a pricey rebuild. I'm trying to decide on either Drag bars or Clubman Bars. I'm also going to swap out the turn signals and tail light for smaller aftermarket ones for a cleaner look. I'm going to sand blast and paint the pipes. I'm possibly going to put in some EGT sensors and a gage not that it will add performance but may help with tuning and it will look cool. I want to shorten the tail section of the frame and get a thinner café style seat. Then there is suspension. I'm looking at a set of YSS piggy back rez shocks for the back and progressive rate springs for the front. Looks like I'm gonna have to put in some OT for this money pit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
the compression on each cylinder should be somewhat close to each other, like a few pounds difference. if one is totally out of wack with the others , then i would think of rebuild. its gonna be ruff finding stock parts for this classic.I would give it some serious thought before chopping it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have to buy a compression tester. If I hold my hand in front of the tail pipe from the middle cylinder it feels like there is less pressure coming out. I just haven't been able to find what the compression should be at. I've just started tracking down parts and also e-mailed the guys at Retro Speed for a estimate on a rebuild. Right now it looks like parts are in short supply and this is going to be a pricey rebuild. I'm trying to decide on either Drag bars or Clubman Bars. I'm also going to swap out the turn signals and tail light for smaller aftermarket ones for a cleaner look. I'm going to sand blast and paint the pipes. I'm possibly going to put in some EGT sensors and a gage not that it will add performance but may help with tuning and it will look cool. I want to shorten the tail section of the frame and get a thinner café style seat. Then there is suspension. I'm looking at a set of YSS piggy back rez shocks for the back and progressive rate springs for the front. Looks like I'm gonna have to put in some OT for this money pit.
View Quote

In what general area of the state do you live in?  I had Tim Schneider and the boys at "The Shop" in Bay View (Milwaukee) rebuild the motor on my 73 Triumph Bonneville 750. They love and specialize in anything vintage and are REALLY good at Jap bikes.  They would freak at the chance to work on your bike.  Do some research on "The Shop" for they have been featured in Cycle World magazine and have had a few spots on the cable show "Cafe Racer".
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a keeper!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:48:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I wasn't aware of The Shop. I'll look  in to them too. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Tim is the only person I know who works on old Jap stuff,stands behind his work too.He could help you out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tim is the only person I know who works on old Jap stuff,stands behind his work too.He could help you out.
View Quote

Looks like a +1 for "The Shop" to me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the place that's in the magazines from time to time? ETA; Duh, I see your post above

I think I might have seen them in Cafe Racer.

Super cool bike man. There's an old GS down the street (for sale) with a big fairing and stuff. Every time I see it, I have dreams of a bike like yours.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#14]
There shop is in the Hide House building complex thing,they always have something interesting on the floor.Good people,he put a thunderjet kit in my 82 Kawasaki GPZ 550 and drop a tooth on the front sprocket,pretty fast out of the hole for its age.My friends dad had a Waterbuffalo in high school back in the mid 70s he would drive,that was a cool bike,fast and comfortable.Latest Motorcyclist magazine has a nice write up them,to bad its not the original paint.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top